The M-BAM Main Thread

Not to flood the thread with requests, but is there a 1789-era HRE map or a map of the Kingdom of Saxony before its truncation (I suppose any Napoleonic era will do)

Atlantropa MBAM.png

Here's my attempt at an MBAM Atlantropa.

I've been staring at maps of Chinese third-level subdivisions for way too long. I know this too well.

So here's a question. The districts of Chongqing (and the other 3 municipalities) are, properly speaking, 2-level subdivisions. But within the Chinese system they have the status of 3-level divisions. I don't know whether it's more appropriate to color them as 2-level, as I did, or as 3-level.

So here's a question. The districts of Chongqing (and the other 3 municipalities) are, properly speaking, 2-level subdivisions. But within the Chinese system they have the status of 3-level divisions. I don't know whether it's more appropriate to color them as 2-level, as I did, or as 3-level.
I would stay with third-level, since despite being technically second-level they are administratively identical to a regular county. A province-level municipality, on the the other hand, is not identical to a prefecture-level municipality.

Last edited:
I would stay with third-level, since despite being technically second-level they are administratively identical to a regular prefecture. A province-level municipality, on the the other hand, is not identical to a prefecture-level municipality.

That does make sense, but in the meantime it looks kind of incomplete for those to be the only province-level entities that are not subdivided. It looks especially jarring for Chongqing, since it's so big, just about the only thing of its size on the whole map not to be subdivided.

Here is an attempt at Beijing and Tianjin. I want to look them over a little more, but later I can add them to the complete MBAM, if people want that.

mbam beijing tianjin.png

I'll add to the above discussion: the rest of the M-BAM doesn't really pay attention to parallel structures within a country, instead just showing simply whether they are first or second level. I'm looking at the wards of the District of Columbia, for example. They're more like the wards of any other US city - so they'd be a fourth-level subdivision if they were in a state - but they're shown as second-level because that's what they are in a literal sense.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally finished my old claim.

Last edited:
Here is an attempt at Beijing and Tianjin. I want to look them over a little more, but later I can add them to the complete MBAM, if people want that.

View attachment 452011

I'll add to the above discussion: the rest of the M-BAM doesn't really pay attention to parallel structures within a country, instead just showing simply whether they are first or second level. I'm looking at the wards of the District of Columbia, for example. They're more like the wards of any other US city - so they'd be a fourth-level subdivision if they were in a state - but they're shown as second-level because that's what they are in a literal sense.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally finished my old claim.
Beijing looks really weird with the distortion effect.