Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

“Uncle Emil,” huh. That’s not a name/title I would consciously apply to Emil Holz. Jarred a bit when I read that. Just further evidence that the characters are well drawn and not one dimensional.

“Uncle Emil,” huh. That’s not a name/title I would consciously apply to Emil Holz. Jarred a bit when I read that. Just further evidence that the characters are well drawn and not one dimensional.

Well Kat would be very close to the Holz's, just not because of Emil...

ferdi254

Banned
Sorry to nitpick on that but the German university system does not have an equivalent to the USA degrees. Sort of yes but very different. You studied to get one degree (engineer, lawyer physician...) and that‘s it. At that time ( without bachelors) you ended with a diploma or something similar (the German Diplomingenieur for example).

Last edited:
Part 87, Chapter 1349
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Nine

12th December 1959

Mitte, Berlin

Kat received a call from Nancy who was in quite a state on what had been a peaceful Saturday afternoon. She had not been comfortable telling Kat what was going on over the phone, so Kat had driven to the townhouse that she had leased with Tilo when he had been posted to the Naval Department in the War Ministry. Having Tilo continuing his effort of improve the standing the Marine Infantry was something that Kat considered a mild annoyance. They had always reveled in their status of being the worst castoffs of the Heer, in the Pacific however they had come into their own. That was the reason why Tilo’s efforts had been bolstered by a series of films depicting the battles that the Marine Infantry had fought in the Pacific War and continued to fight as they attempted to bring order to that vast region. Suddenly, the Marines were the service to join for the adventurous who were looking for some real action. Of course, if there was trouble, leave it to the Marines to find it.

Entering the house, Kat was once again amazed by the choice of décor. The odd mixture of East meets West that he had put together with Nancy’s help. He had filled bookshelves with works of philosophy and the walls were covered with art that ranged from prints of paintings by the Old Masters, Japanese wood block paintings and Vietnamese landscapes. The furniture was equally eclectic, reflecting the travels and wide experiences of both Nancy and Tilo.

“What was so important that you couldn’t tell me over the phone?” Kat asked as she entered the kitchen. Nancy was watching Sebastian playing with toy cars on the floor, it was noticeable that she looked distressed.

“We figured out that Tilo and I are expecting again” Nancy said.

“Is that what is going on with you” Kat said, “While I can understand why you would be apprehensive, I would assume that congratulations are in order.”

“That’s not it” Tilo said as he seemed to come out of the kitchen wall. Kat knew that he must have been there the entire time, but he had spent years working on his focus. An odd sort of stillness of both the mind and body that had the practical effect of making one’s eyes slide around him without seeing him.

“This is what we want” Nancy said, “The problem started when we began informing the people closest to us of the news, we had only just started when…” Nancy stopped talking.

“We got this back from Portland when we tried to contact Nancy’s friend Beatrice” Tilo said, and then he handed her a yellow piece of paper. “This seemed like something that is in your wheelhouse.”

Reading the telegram, Kat was bewildered by what she was reading. It was perfunctory, just saying that Nancy’s friend Beatrice had died of unspecified causes not long after Nancy had talked to her the previous May.

“I don’t see what you expect me to do about this” Kat said.

“You investigate matters” Nancy said, clearly upset. “Or at least cut the nuts off that louse Beatrice has for a husband.”

“As much as I think that would be justice” Kat said, “My reach doesn’t extend into America. All joking aside castration is a waste of time, so I’ve never considered it beyond a bluff.”

“That is crap” Nancy said, before she stormed out of the room.

“I’m sorry” Tilo said just after they heard the door slam. “I told her almost the same thing you told her before you got here.”

“No need to apologize” Kat said, “These things happen.”

“You really can’t do much?” Tilo asked.

“I can make a few phone calls” Kat replied, “But as I said, it’s not like I could go there in person and I don’t trust the BND’s North American Division. It’s still very much your father’s fiefdom.”

“You really need to bury the hatchet with him” Tilo said, “He admits that he screwed things up.”

“It’s not that simple” Kat said, “He is a manipulative bastard, and it didn’t stop after I left. He continued to twist things to his advantage for years afterwards, making me doubt myself, getting between me and my husband. That is harder to let go of.”

“I see” Tilo said, he didn’t seem too surprised.

----------------------------------------------------------------

While they were in a festive mood, it was hardly the sort of afternoon that would have fit with what they were doing. It being the Christmas season, it should have been snowing, but the weather wasn’t cooperating, so it was cold, drizzly rain instead. That was why Suga had brought an umbrella when Freddy had invited her to come along.

As Kiki and Rea were drifting from stall to stall making occasional purchases and talking to the vendors. Freddy hung back talking with Suga about the books that he had been reading as a part of his studies. Kiki thought that it was long past time that the two of them talked about things that they were mutually interested in. A few days earlier, Freddy had started talking about the properties of concrete, Kiki had seen Suga check her watch and it had been all she could do to avoid laughing. Looking into one of the stalls, Kiki caught a whiff of the smell of the pepper cakes. Last year she had gorged herself on the things, this year she had promised herself that she wouldn’t do that to herself.

Last edited:
“As much as I think that would be justice” Kat said, “My reach doesn’t extend into America.

Not to mention I don't think she could do much in America without a substantial tail. They wouldn't pull on her what they did to Asia, but she's STILL a known agent and assassin, and would probably have half the FBI watching her.

A few days earlier, Freddy had started talking about the properties of concrete

Sounds like that conversation would rock

Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Forty-Nine

12th December 1959

Mitte, Berlin

“That’s not it” Tilo said as he seemed to come out of the kitchen wall. Kat knew that he must have been there the entire time, but he had spent years working on his focus. An odd sort of stillness of both the mind and body that had the practical effect of making one’s eyes slide around him without seeing him.

Hmmmm, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. Tilo knows.

If Beatrice had what I think she had, then it will be a big scandal when the reason for it comes out as at the time only "Bad Girls, Tramps, and Sluts" had that done not respectable upper middle class married women.

Not to mention I don't think she could do much in America without a substantial tail. They wouldn't pull on her what they did to Asia, but she's STILL a known agent and assassin, and would probably have half the FBI watching her.
It has not been established that either Kat or Nancy are considered to be Persona Non Grata by the United States and I don't think that President Harriman would want to get in a diplomatic tiff with Germany over such an unimportant matter of Kat or Nancy openly making a trip to America.
Kat right now is the subject of a best selling biography by Gloria Steinem there will be a great amount of interest by the American people in seeing her in person and hearing her side of the story with Nancy by her side helping her deal with it.
While everyone eyes are on them, Kat can get someone else who she trust to look in what happened to Beatrice.

It has not been established that either Kat or Nancy are considered to be Persona Non Grata by the United States and I don't think that President Harriman would want to get in a diplomatic tiff with Germany over such an unimportant matter of Kat or Nancy openly making a trip to America.
Kat right now is the subject of a best selling biography by Gloria Steinem there will be a great amount of interest by the American people in seeing her in person and hearing her side of the story with Nancy by her side helping her deal with it.
While everyone eyes are on them, Kat can get someone else who she trust to look in what happened to Beatrice.
Actually.... That's NOT a bad idea. Her best protection in this case resides in public exposure and audacity.... A series of travels supporting her biography, and supporting women's Rights, and a PUBLIC visit to the tomb of Her Friend Nancy's friend, who died in strange circumstances...... Even if that is all what she did, the sheer public attention to the death of Beatrice would also bring the FBI to the mess due to the public pressure......

Ahem. Col. Blackwood. I’d like to see his appearance again.

I was thinking of someone with a law degree who owes Kat a favor.
Actually it would be more effective if a certain lawyer of an association of Civil Rights, were to take the case.... A certain Richard Nixon... It would be his spotlight to rise in the political arena afterwards....

Actually it would be more effective if a certain lawyer of an association of Civil Rights, were to take the case.... A certain Richard Nixon... It would be his spotlight to rise in the political arena afterwards....
Hmmm...Kennedy talks to I believe right now is Senator Richard Nixon D-CA who in turns talk to his old pals at the ACLU and gets someone from the Portland office to look in to it.
This leads in to uncovering something that has some significance to what is going on right now in IOTL and ITTL it will jumpstart a new Women Rights movement.

Actually.... That's NOT a bad idea. Her best protection in this case resides in public exposure and audacity.... A series of travels supporting her biography, and supporting women's Rights, and a PUBLIC visit to the tomb of Her Friend Nancy's friend, who died in strange circumstances...... Even if that is all what she did, the sheer public attention to the death of Beatrice would also bring the FBI to the mess due to the public pressure......

All that's well and good except for the small matter of Kat's aversion to publicity.

All that's well and good except for the small matter of Kat's aversion to publicity.
Yeah, although that's certainly tempered for her need to make happy her friends, and her near pathological distaste of murderers getting away, specially murderers of women.