Hail, Britannia

What is the state of the Quebecois and Alaskan independence parties? Do they want full independence or just dominion status?

Btw, this is a phenomenal timeline.

I think your ideas are pretty accurate. In North America, Australia and West Australia there is a trend towards big cars, whereas the Home Islands, the Caribbean, New Zealand and the smaller island dominions tend towards smaller cars with more responsive handling. Newfoundland and New England (and indeed New York and other major cities in NA) would probably see a trend towards smaller cars as well.

I'd assume that most middle-class families in Britain ITTL would have two cars - a smaller city car and a larger long distance one. There's a real push towards eco-friendly models, more so than OTL, so hybrid and electric vehicles are much more common.

Hope that makes sense :)
I wonder if the Mini is still built ITTL. I know the main impetus for its OTL development (the Suez Crisis and the ensuing economic recession) has been butterflied away, but it wouldn't seem right to remove something so quintessentially British as the Mini.

Gian

Banned
I wonder if the Mini is still built ITTL. I know the main impetus for its OTL development (the Suez Crisis and the ensuing economic recession) has been butterflied away, but it wouldn't seem right to remove something so quintessentially British as the Mini.

Nah, it just gets replaced with an even more quintessentially British car: the Wumbo

(jk of course)

Just to encourage some conversation on here, here's an alternate history I'm thinking of - "What if the Nazis won WWII", but it's from the perspective of Hail, Britannia. Personally, I have some ideas, but you're all welcome to give ideas.

- The not-Nazi side is the United Empire [with or without Britain itself, IDK] and satellites, allied with Brazil and a rump Japan into the Alliance, or New Entente. France is in exile in Africa too as "Free France", although De Gaulle's age is getting to him, he still holds firmly against the Nazis.
- The "Weltpakt" or whatever, is that of the Nazis, Futurist Italy and KMT China. Nazis and KMT China are increasingly clashing and by the late 1950s, it's widely accepted that eventually the two will go to war and the Weltpakt falling.
- Russia is well, trying to survive. Battered on two sides, the land is officially divided up in a Nazi West and a Chinese East, but there's the lingering presence of a "Russian Loyalist Government" that seems to be nowhere to be found when the Nazis or KMT follow up on a lead.
- The battle-lines are clear. Once the Weltpakt falls apart, the Entente will swoop in and take advantage of the chaos, liberate Europe and Asia in the names of the four virtues - the breath of liberty, the freedom of human rights, the march of democracy, and the dignity of monarchism.

That's my perspective of what that world would be. What's yours?

Just to encourage some conversation on here, here's an alternate history I'm thinking of - "What if the Nazis won WWII", but it's from the perspective of Hail, Britannia. Personally, I have some ideas, but you're all welcome to give ideas.

- The not-Nazi side is the United Empire [with or without Britain itself, IDK] and satellites, allied with Brazil and a rump Japan into the Alliance, or New Entente. France is in exile in Africa too as "Free France", although De Gaulle's age is getting to him, he still holds firmly against the Nazis.
- The "Weltpakt" or whatever, is that of the Nazis, Futurist Italy and KMT China. Nazis and KMT China are increasingly clashing and by the late 1950s, it's widely accepted that eventually the two will go to war and the Weltpakt falling.
- Russia is well, trying to survive. Battered on two sides, the land is officially divided up in a Nazi West and a Chinese East, but there's the lingering presence of a "Russian Loyalist Government" that seems to be nowhere to be found when the Nazis or KMT follow up on a lead.
- The battle-lines are clear. Once the Weltpakt falls apart, the Entente will swoop in and take advantage of the chaos, liberate Europe and Asia in the names of the four virtues - the breath of liberty, the freedom of human rights, the march of democracy, and the dignity of monarchism.

Actually a Kaiserreich themed wikibox project on the scale of American Commonwealth/Our Fair Country/Hail Britannia in general would be a very interesting concept now that I think about it.

Northern Ireland here is part of the home country of Ireland, which is part of the United Empire. So, I guess, yes?
Speaking of Northern Ireland, I wonder what Ian Paisley would've been doing ITTL. With Norn Iron relatively quiet here, perhaps he'd become a part of TTL's Religious Right equivalent.

Whatever happened to Bob Hawke (RIP)? Does he remain in Australian politics, or does he graduate to the Imperial government in some way?
Labor First Minister of Westralia 1975-79 (in coalition with Country and with Liberal backing) and 1985-94 (in coalition with Liberals and Ararat Left). Appointed to the Lords probably at some point.

Hudson; 2017 legislative election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Sorry for the brief hiatus, here's the second instalment in the MAMMOTH Canada series :eek:

Credit to Aidan Kallioinen of Reddit for the awesome Northern Ontario electoral base map, and thanks as always to @Turquoise Blue for her input! Enjoy:

90oPyaR.png

Hudson is one of the 11 provinces and territories of the Dominion of Canada located in the east-central region of the country, named after Hudson Bay, which was in turn named after English explorer Henry Hudson. The least populous province by population, and the third-largest by area, Hudson is bordered by the territory of Ungava to the east, the province of Ontario and Lake Superior to the south, Hudson Bay and James Bay to the north, the province of Manitoba to the west, and in the southwest by the Missourian province of Dakota. Hudson is sparsely populated, with the majority of its 300,000 people living in the south of the province, and a climate characterised by extremes of temperature, with warm summers and cold winters.

The areas of Hudson south of Laurentian Divide formed part of the French colony of New France before 1763, whilst the northern regions were under English and later British control as part of Rupert's Land. After the 1763 Treaty of Paris, Britain gained control of New France, and in 1791 the southern regions formed part of the colony of Upper Canada, which became the province of Ontario in 1867. Rupert's Land was transferred to the government of Canada in 1870, which brought the entirety of modern Hudson into the Canadian Confederation. In 1874, despite competing claims by the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba, the Canadian government created the District of Hudson from the areas of the Northwest Territories that today make up the northern regions of the province. The ongoing disputes between Manitoba and Ontario would only be resolved with the creation of Hudson as a separate province in 1889, which merged those regions of Ontario south of the Laurentian Divide with the district of Hudson.

Hudson's economy is driven primarily by mining and forestry, and despite attempts to diversify the economy the province remains heavily dependent on federal and imperial investment. Demographically, Hudson has seen a decline in population, especially in smaller northern towns, as economic opportunities attract people to the urban areas in Ontario, Quebec and other parts of British America. Hudson is home to a large Francophone population, known as Franco-Hudsoniens, which makes up nearly 40% of the population, and their presence was a major impetus for the province's creation as a separate entity from the Anglophone dominated Ontario.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2017 Hudson legislative election was held on 6 June 2017 to elect, under the instant runoff voting system, the 36 members of the Legislative Assembly.

The incumbent Commonwealth minority government, under Premier Gilles Bisson, comfortably won re-election with an increased share of the vote and an additional seat, although they failed to secure a majority. The opposition centrist Liberals under new leader Bill Maduro failed to make inroads at this election, losing 3 seats despite a campaign to balance the budget by raising corporate tax and a promise of free child care. The centre-right Progressive Conservatives under Yvan Génier, which in recent decades had performed poorly in provincial elections, gained an additional seat from the Liberals, despite a decline in their share of the vote. The two minority left-wing parties, Parti Franco-Hudsonien, which advocates for Francophone rights, and the ecological Greens, under Bozena Hrycyna, both saw an increased share of the popular vote, which the PFH winning an additional seat.

After the election, Bisson was reappointed as premier as leader of the largest party in the legislative assembly.

VhKJiLI.png

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
What is the state of the Quebecois and Alaskan independence parties? Do they want full independence or just dominion status?

Btw, this is a phenomenal timeline.
There are probably factions for both options.
Thereby diluting the overall independence movements and puts the different factions against each other as well against the status quo faction.

The dominant faction in each movement really depends upon the leader at the time. The Quebecois independence movement has been fractured into a culturally liberal and a culturally conservative party. At present the dominant policy for each independence movement is dominion status, but many see that as a stepping stone to full independence.

Oh the Mini definitely remains :) Love those cars.

Until Leinad says otherwise, I'm assuming they're identical to OTL Britain.
would that include northern Ireland?????
Northern Ireland here is part of the home country of Ireland, which is part of the United Empire. So, I guess, yes?

Abortion law is one of the few areas specifically legislated by the Imperial Parliament, with its availability being the same as OTL Great Britain. Attempts by parts of Carolina and some of the more conservative dominions/states/provinces to restrict access to abortion have been repeatedly struck down by the imperial legislature and the judicial system.

Actually a Kaiserreich themed wikibox project on the scale of American Commonwealth/Our Fair Country/Hail Britannia in general would be a very interesting concept now that I think about it.

Like this idea TB (and Nazi Space Spy - that would be a good idea!) I think any Empire without Britain itself would be doomed to collapse into two parts, a North American state and a Pacific oriented one. So a surviving Empire and Nazi Germany would likely be as a result of a stalemate in the Battle of Britain resulting in a ceasefire. Fascinating idea though :)

Speaking of Northern Ireland, I wonder what Ian Paisley would've been doing ITTL. With Norn Iron relatively quiet here, perhaps he'd become a part of TTL's Religious Right equivalent.

Now there's an interesting idea... I could see him briefly leading the Irish Unionists, but eventually getting elected to the Imperial Parliament as a Conservative before defecting to Heritage as a list MIP...

Whatever happened to Bob Hawke (RIP)? Does he remain in Australian politics, or does he graduate to the Imperial government in some way?
Labor First Minister of Westralia 1975-79 (in coalition with Country and with Liberal backing) and 1985-94 (in coalition with Liberals and Ararat Left). Appointed to the Lords probably at some point.

Yep, a Westralian politician exactly as TB describes. Bumped up to the Imperial Lords in the late 1990s until his retirement in 2014 at the mandatory age of 85.

the province remains heavily dependent on federal and imperial investment
Just to build off this, your typical level of governance is four levels.

The local, the provincial, the federal and the imperial.

Local government is very much like the British system, a bunch of confusion that I have been mad enough to tackle.
Provincial government depends on if your dominion is federal or not. It normally is. This is the government of your province.
Federal government is often not called that, but it's the government of your dominion. If your dominion is not federal, this level gets the responsibility of the provincial, but normally local government is stronger in unitary dominions.
Imperial government is the government of the United Kingdom and Empire of Great Britannia, led by Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister [REDACTED].

Here's the local government structure of the four Canadian provinces we've already seen.

- Hudson: The more populated areas are divided in municipalities, while the more rural areas are divided into well, "divisions". The "divisions" are just the statistical areas without the municipalities. The municipalities vote 2/3 every four years in '19, '23, '27, and 1/3 every three years in '20, '23, '26. The divisions vote every three years, '17, '21, '24.
- Northwest Territories - Divided in "taxed communities" and "hamlets". The taxed communities vote every three years ('18, '21, '24) and the hamlets every second year ('18, '20, '24).
- Nunavut - Divided in "iqaluit" and "hamlets". The iqaluit vote every four years ('19, '23, '27) and the hamlets vote every year ('19, '20, '21).
- Ungava - Divided in three areas - Nunavik, Eeyou Itchee and Jamesie. Those three are generally autonomous. The first two are classified as "Indigenous Lands" and Jamesie as a "Region". Nunavik elects every four years ('17, '21, '25), Eeyou Itchee every three years ('18, '21, '24), Jamesie every four years ('18, '22, '26). Due to this division, Ungava has sometimes been called "Canada's Louisiana" in how it's seemingly a bunch of different places smushed together.

While we're on the subject of alternate history in this universe, I wonder what kind of stories Harry Turtledove would write ITTL.