Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU DID THIS!

Second, it just makes me wonder what could be next for Universal's newly-revived animation studio. Maybe they could pull an OTL Disney, and adapt Don Quixote in the future. That is, if TTL Disney didn't already make a film on that subject.
Yeah, I was late, but real life caught up to me and I was out of commission for a while there.

The only changes made to Disney's lineup before Beauty and the Beast is that they postponed The Aristocats and sent it to development hell in favor of a Hansel and Gretel animated film. So Don Quixote is a possibility.

--Walter Lantz, from the 1994 Disney documentary short film The Rabbit Comes Home: Welcoming Back Our Oldest Pal
Wonder what they would get from him ITTL? OTL WAS a football announcer(show the titan is the NFL isn't it?) wonder what will come here...

Seens Woody Woodpecker was a Hit...hope that means we can get an earlier cartoon, i loved those

Wonder what they would get from him ITTL? OTL WAS a football announcer(show the titan is the NFL isn't it?) wonder what will come here...

Seens Woody Woodpecker was a Hit...hope that means we can get an earlier cartoon, i loved those
I think I can safely say that no one at this point in the story will be able to call how Oswald returns to Disney.

Woody Woodpecker and his pals will be getting their own cartoon series on the Paramount Television Service, once that starts up in 1981. Right now, Paramount and Universal have sort of banded together with the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" mentality being the glue to keep them together.

I think I can safely say that no one at this point in the story will be able to call how Oswald returns to Disney.
Still i think Eisner could get something juicy from disney, even if don't look like that at first.

Woody Woodpecker and his pals will be getting their own cartoon series on the Paramount Television Service, once that starts up in 1981. Right now, Paramount and Universal have sort of banded together with the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" mentality being the glue to keep them together.
That would be amazing, too early for a 1999 style cartoon(i loved that one) but would be nice to see on TV too

It wouldn't really be a Disney fan TL if Walt didn't get Oswald back, would it? :p I'm glad to see Woody is going to be a formidable opponent for the foreseeable future and I'm wondering if Universal won't try to muscle in against Turner in the coming years by being aggressive in purchasing defunct cartoon IPs in the '80s (similarly to what he did OTL). It'd be a good way to kick start the nascent PTS channel at the very least. Reruns provide a bit of a crutch until Universal and Paramount can figure out more original programming.

I'm curious, in the long term given the apparent emphasis on making their output "for all ages" ITTL, if Disney won't try to purchase a Japanese studio once anime and manga become hits in the U.S. They could even hypothetically accelerate this trend earlier if they have a bloc similar to Toonami OTL on the Disney Channel. At the very least I suspect that they'll reach out a hand similar to OTL's Warner in bringing things over to the West given the seemingly stronger ties with the country.

If not purchasing someone, then an alternative could be: make a Walt Disney Studios Japan and build it up from scratch. By offering an alternative to the general Japanese industry environment of grueling hours and intense crunch periods that drain mangaka and animation teams, it might entice up and coming artists to eschew other established studios and bite the line that Disney tosses them to come on board.

Last edited:
I'm curious, in the long term given the apparent emphasis on making their output "for all ages" ITTL, if Disney won't try to purchase a Japanese studio once anime and manga become hits in the U.S. They could even hypothetically accelerate this trend earlier if they have a bloc similar to Toonami OTL on the Disney Channel. At the very least I suspect that they'll reach out a hand similar to OTL's Warner in bringing things over to the West given the seemingly stronger ties with the country.
They're all aready working with Tezuka..they can easily work with other studios, maybe even a japanese station(tv tokyo? nhk? start his own with local ones and others?) to share content?

It wouldn't really be a Disney fan TL if Walt didn't get Oswald back, would it? :p I'm glad to see Woody is going to be a formidable opponent for the foreseeable future and I'm wondering if Universal won't try to muscle in against Turner in the coming years by being aggressive in purchasing defunct cartoon IPs in the '80s (similarly to what he did OTL). It'd be a good way to kick start the nascent PTS channel at the very least. Reruns provide a bit of a crutch until Universal and Paramount can figure out more original programming.

If not purchasing someone, then an alternative could be: make a Walt Disney Studios Japan and build it up from scratch. By offering an alternative to the general Japanese industry environment of grueling hours and intense crunch periods that drain mangaka and animation teams, it might entice up and coming artists to eschew other established studios and bite the line that Disney tosses them to come on board.
There will be some form of an anime block on the Disney Channel ITTL, but Walt will (wisely) take things rather slowly and wait until Astroboy proves its worth before adding more shows.

Disney is currently collaborating with Tezuka Productions for Astroboy, so there's no need for a Walt Disney Studios Japan. Tezuka will be influenced by Walt's very relaxed style, so his studio will start to distance itself from Japan's intense work periods and that will start to spread throughout the rest of Japan, albeit slowly. As Disney gains more of a foothold there when they get bigger in gaming, that relaxed style will begin to rub off on Japan's corporate culture even more.

Bringing up Osamu Tezuka again, I have a few questions...

OTL, Kimba the White Lion aired in 1966 in association with NBC. You haven't mentioned it yet, other than saying that ITTL The Lion King doesn't exist. Are we looking forward to a Disney redub of the NBC 1966 dub?

And whither Hayao Miyazaki? I'd hope he ends up as an independent with Studio Ghibli, but some earlier work, especially his Nippon Animation work might go well with Disney. His version of Anne of Green Gables would especially be right up Disney's alley!

Oh, and one more thing...

Am I the only person on this thread who thought Wally Walrus would be the antagonist for the Woody Woodpecker movie?
Woody Woodpecker has a large repertoire of rivals and villains, from Buzz Buzzard to Ms. Meany to Wally Walrus. But I chose Dapper Denver Dooley because of a few reasons. Namely, having a human antagonist really hits it home that Woody lives in a more realistic setting, unlike Mickey Mouse's world, which is entirely inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.

Oh, and one more thing...

Am I the only person on this thread who thought Wally Walrus would be the antagonist for the Woody Woodpecker movie?

I would have guessed Davey Crewcut or Wild Bill Hiccough myself.

Here's hoping Gulf÷Western keeps Sega, but Naka Yuji stays, too,and especially Gennady Tartakovsky and/or Craig McCracken end up interning under Walter Lantz and Tex Avery this time (they were their idols growing up) instead of getting their starts at Marvel/Sunbow with John Kricfalutci on G.I. Joe. Then, when Paramount wants to branch out from Popeye and those Max Fleischer properties that hadn't reached the public domain, Gennady and Craig have some ready-made concepts that play perfectly to their strengths, so long as they go easy on the thicklining...

I would have guessed Davey Crewcut or Wild Bill Hiccough myself.

Here's hoping Gulf÷Western keeps Sega, but Naka Yuji stays, too,and especially Gennady Tartakovsky and/or Craig McCracken end up interning under Walter Lantz and Tex Avery this time (they were their idols growing up) instead of getting their starts at Marvel/Sunbow with John Kricfalutci on G.I. Joe. Then, when Paramount wants to branch out from Popeye and those Max Fleischer properties that hadn't reached the public domain, Gennady and Craig have some ready-made concepts that play perfectly to their strengths, so long as they go easy on the thicklining...
I think Hex said Sega will still break away from Gulf+Western, though the question would be if they go independent, get bought by a different company than OTL, or still go to CSK

PNWKing

Banned
So what happens to Columbia?

Will Charles-Burrows-Charles go to Paramount still?
What about Charles-Burrows-Charles goes to United Artists to distribute Cheers, which ends up airing on NBC still.

I think Hex said Sega will still break away from Gulf+Western, though the question would be if they go independent, get bought by a different company than OTL, or still go to CSK

So that means no McCracken/Tartakovsky Alex Kidd or Sonic SatAm cartoon, and Sega still pretends American Sonic fandom doesn't exist until Sonic Mania, saddling him with ditzy human royalty and/or oblivious yandere types for love intrests like Amy Rose? :'(

So what happens to Columbia?

Will Charles-Burrows-Charles go to Paramount still?
What about Charles-Burrows-Charles goes to United Artists to distribute Cheers, which ends up airing on NBC still.
Considering the series' affiliation with Paramount, I think it would air on the PTS instead

As long as Sega stays American that'd be just fine. It'd be interesting to have the company at the head of a media conglomerate instead of being owned by one.

So that means no McCracken/Tartakovsky Alex Kidd or Sonic SatAm cartoon, and Sega still pretends American Sonic fandom doesn't exist until Sonic Mania, saddling him with ditzy human royalty and/or oblivious yandere types for love intrests like Amy Rose? :'(

And where the SATAM characters are nowhere to be seen in either the games or the new IDW comics despite Sega owning the rights? Keep Sega in American hands and that won't happen.

>implying if Sonic and Alex even exist in this timeline

Though they probably would considering Hex said only most of the pre-3D era game franchises still exist and that Mario would likely still exist

Woody Woodpecker has a large repertoire of rivals and villains, from Buzz Buzzard to Ms. Meany to Wally Walrus. But I chose Dapper Denver Dooley because of a few reasons. Namely, having a human antagonist really hits it home that Woody lives in a more realistic setting, unlike Mickey Mouse's world, which is entirely inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.

Oh, okay. In that case, points for being creative with the plot. I mean, that scene of adultery chose the right description for why and how it got past the censors IMHO.

As long as Sega stays American that'd be just fine. It'd be interesting to have the company at the head of a media conglomerate instead of being owned by one.

I don't think it was the problem that Sega stopped being American affiliated, but more that the people who took over weren't exactly that competent. Maybe have Hayao Nakayama's reign as CEO of Sega of Japan be shorter and replaced by someone more competent.

>implying if Sonic and Alex even exist in this timeline

Though they probably would considering Hex said only most of the pre-3D era game franchises still exist and that Mario would likely still exist

A mascot with a similar 90's 'tude could still be created. You know what'd be interesting? If Sega decides to make their hip mascot with an attitude female to contrast with Nintendo's Princess Peach. A female character with OTL Sonic's attitude would be awesome.

OTL Sonic was a character designed with Western appeal in mind, with influence from Disney among others. Which'd be even more likely in the event that Sega stays in America.

I don't think it was the problem that Sega stopped being American affiliated, but more that the people who took over weren't exactly that competent. Maybe have Hayao Nakayama's reign as CEO of Sega of Japan be shorter and replaced by someone more competent.

American leadership. Japanese leadership. I'm just interested in what results in Sega getting competent leadership.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.