AHC/WI: More Taiwan-like states

After the KMT's defeat in the Chinese Civil War, the government of the Republic of China evacuated to the island of Taiwan and still has authority over the island today. Are there any other states that could pull out a Taiwan-like scenario, fleeing to an island or a dependency/colony of that country while the new government controls the mainland?

VadisDeProfundis

Gone Fishin'
If the Greek civil War turned out diffeeently, I would expect the Anglo-Americans to prop up a Kingdom Of Greece that would consist only of Crete+the Aegean Islands, the Ionian Islands, plus Cyprus, if the British are feeling like it. So that’s definitely one there.

Apart from that? Perhaps after the Russian Revolution, an Russian Provisional Government In Exile could be proclaimed in, say, Alaska as an American/British puppet state had the Americans not purchased the land, in Transamur as a Japanese client state, and so on.

France or Portugal could have revolutions forcing their governments to flee to their colonies, but I don’t know how sustainable that situation would be, and I think they would be forced to give indeendence or extensive local autonomy to the colonized, it might not even be the same nations.

That’s pretty much all I could think of right now.

An exterminationist Germany towards France that causes the French government to make major long term investments in Algeria, and to have a large scale evacuation there as France is falling could be one. Alternately, Corsica or Sardinia are nice alternatives for France or Italy.

You’d need a very different WWII, say with an antilatin bent and an apathetic/crushed-in-spirit Britain. Was it Norway or Finland that has a giant island that could become an enclave for a noncommunist government?

Cuba as the refuge for the USA in the event of a communist takeover (with unwelcome reception by the locals) is a trope but a darn good one.

New Zealand as the refuge for a Red Australia also comes to mind.

I saw a hearts of iron 4 mod that had the French monarchy flee the Napoleonic revolution to French Louisiana (which they retained in that timeline) and set up a tawain like a monarchist/loyalist state in Louisiana after the revolutionary won the war on the mainland.

Danish government in exile in the Faroes or Iceland; British in Newfoundland or Prince Edward Island; Portugal in Madeira and the Azores, never mind their African colonies; Spain/Catalonia in the Balearic Islands; Sweden in Gotland.

Deleted member 114175

Japan invades much farther into India, communists behind the lines dissolve the Japanese occupation and also defeat+unite the British Raj as the People's Republic of India, while a Republic of India is formed and retreats to Sri Lanka.

After World War I, the German Royal Family is given sovereignty over East Prussia only.

After World War II, the House of Savoy is given sovereignty over only Sardinia.

Last edited:
How about Nationalist China forces in the Chinese Civil War not only getting Taiwan (Formosa) but another group flee to Hainan Island.

Both islands then evolve with separate capitalist governments and administrations.

The Republic of Taiwan (ROC)

The Republic of Hainan

Regards

BigBlueBox

Banned
How about Nationalist China forces in the Chinese Civil War not only getting Taiwan (Formosa) but another group flee to Hainan Island.

Both islands then evolve with separate capitalist governments and administrations.

The Republic of Taiwan (ROC)

The Republic of Hainan

Regards
I made a thread on this and the responses suggested that KMT control of Hainan was very tenuous. There was a CCP insurgent group operating on the island and it was close enough to the mainland to be easily captured. If the KMT did hold onto it though (probably by foreign intervention) then it would still be an integral part of the ROC-in-exile. If anything, since Hainan is purely ethnic Han it could become dominant.

Zachariah

Banned
After the KMT's defeat in the Chinese Civil War, the government of the Republic of China evacuated to the island of Taiwan and still has authority over the island today. Are there any other states that could pull out a Taiwan-like scenario, fleeing to an island or a dependency/colony of that country while the new government controls the mainland?
Hmm. We're talking solely about post-1900 candidates, right? A couple of other plausible options:

The British decline to directly intervene on behalf of the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman in the Jebel Akhdar War, and as a result, with the backing of Saudi Arabia and Egypt, the Imamate of Oman succeeds in wresting control from the Sultanate, with Sultan Said bin Taimur and his government forced into exile in the overseas possession of Gwadar;
South Yemeni government evacuates to the Socotra archipelago, in an Cold-War era war between NATO-backed North Yemen and Warsaw-Pact backed South Yemen. What do you think?

The Spartakus League successfuly overthrowns the Weimar government but crushed by Allies. Liebknecht, Luxemburg and most of the communist army flees to the USSR and creates a commumist germany in the OTL Volga German ASSR.
I made a thread on this and the responses suggested that KMT control of Hainan was very tenuous. There was a CCP insurgent group operating on the island and it was close enough to the mainland to be easily captured. If the KMT did hold onto it though (probably by foreign intervention) then it would still be an integral part of the ROC-in-exile. If anything, since Hainan is purely ethnic Han it could become dominant.
AFAIK the PLA used wooden boats to cross the Hainan strait since they didn't have a navy. If the nationalist airforce had bombed their ports with incendiary bombs the invasion would have failed like the one at Kinmen.

Cuba as the refuge for the USA in the event of a communist takeover (with unwelcome reception by the locals) is a trope but a darn good one.

In a pre-1900 scenario, I was thinking Cuba and/or Puerto Rico and/or Hispanola as a refuge for the CSA. Maybe one of Jefferson Davis' first acts is to purchase one or more of the islands from Spain...

But I digress...