McGoverning

It's how I think about a lot of history, but reading Command and Control shook me in ways I didn't necessarily expect.

That book was such an eye opener. I've been studying nuclear policy and weapons for close to a decade, and Good God, we came so close so many times to blowing ourselves up without the help of Comrades Khrushchev and Brezhnev.

Some other notes for @Yes And Company (a perfect 70s band name if I ever heard one):

• For trying to stand against the tide of bigger, more destructive nuclear weapons, this nation crucified Robert J. Oppenheimer, without we'd never have them to begin with, ruining his career and reputation.
  • I think the Vanguard missile failure diminished the Navy in Ike's eyes, and didn't help them at a crucial stage of the debates.
  • Ike's absolute failure to use his standing to stop this madness is an act of moral cowardice on the level of his failure to defend George Marshall against Joe McCarthy.
  • That South Park meme for SAC's planning staff made me nearly choke laughing.
  • Thomas Power exclusively reigns over the fourth circle of Hell.
  • One great source I used for writing my JFK/LBJ short story was the declassified early 1960s SIOPs (thanks, National Security Archive, you brilliant boffins!)
    • SIOP-62
    • https://www.belfercenter.org/sites/...ngtoPresidentKennedyInternationalSecurity.pdf
    • The highly redacted SIOP-64 document
    • SIOP-63 (somewhat less redacted)
    • The first ever declassified target mappings from the mid-late 50s, which, and this completely validates everything in the BDNE above, but for East Berlin alone, we had a ridiculous 72 targets in and around it. Even assuming a distribution of 20kt tactical weapons, it's blatant overkill. For example, here's 1/3 of those bombs, evenly distributed around the target areas.
      berlin1950s.JPG
    • Imagine three times that amount in the area already there. It's insanity. I don't think there was any appreciation whatsoever of the fact that these weren't 400-lb. bombs coming off B-17s, they were a hell of a lot more nasty, but LeMay and Power treated them like it was the bombing of Dresden.
  • And finally, the masterstroke of the insanity--THIS. Project Pluto, the SLAM missile, a nuclear-powered ramjet that would dump 16 H-bombs on its targets and then fly around endlessly, sending radiation spewing from its unshielded reactor. Here's the grinning master behind this perpetual motion machine of Death, Ted Merkle. Ted here found out he had incurable liver cancer when the program was finally, mercifully cancelled, so he made one good contribution to humanity. He built the first working version of a CT scanner to study his own liver.
    TedMerkle.jpg

Last edited:
Yo Overkill is fantastic and I'm not just saying that because of the closing line. A sad and cogent coverage of the issue @Yes that if anything underplays Rosenberg's talent (dudettes he would have rocked alternate history hard, you can see it in the way he lays out the roads not travelled)—I now very very much want to see a timeline where SAC gets screwed in the 1950s and the Alternative Option wins out.

Deputy Attorney General: Clifford L. Alexander, Jr.

Deeply underrated on this board for a dude that could have been Mayor of D.C. and maybe more….

Last edited:
So where does the debate surrounding “tactical” nuclear weapons fit into all this? As I recall, Cabinet officials were pushing for their use as late as 1959, though Eisenhower was firmly of the mind that developing atomic weapons to be used against enemy infantry in open battle was not a good idea.

So where does the debate surrounding “tactical” nuclear weapons fit into all this? As I recall, Cabinet officials were pushing for their use as late as 1959, though Eisenhower was firmly of the mind that developing atomic weapons to be used against enemy infantry in open battle was not a good idea.

"Firmly against it."

And yet, the 1950s saw development and deployment of:
"Honest John"--15 mile range nuclear cruise missile
MGM-5 "Corporal" nuclear cruise missiles for 75-mile range
M65 nuclear artillery cannon, 10 km range
W23 battleship nuclear cannon shells for the 16 inch guns.

Just saying, he wasn't opposed enough to stop it.

Clearly the butterflies end up with Iceland withdrawing from NATO and joining the Warsaw pack.

V I K I N G J U C H E

But really, we'll see a brief glimpse, maybe two, in an upcoming chapter (no really, upcoming, if you numbered the next chapter as 1 it would be 3 in that sequence.)

If we're talking about what British school exams would call "special studies" of this particular conflict, there's always the underappreciated roles of double agents aboard British and Icelandic fishing boats, immortalized by the classic novel The Spy Who Came In With the Cod...
And the various literary works are
Cod-pieces

No Cods Club

This really does seem like the best place to ask given the recent SALT talks, I found via a free library The Star Wars History From Deterrence to Defence: The American Strategic Debate, Michael Charlton; it’s a rather slim 23 person oral history of the title.

Anybody read it? Good, bad, self-serving? If not I’ll report back!

No Cods Club

This really does seem like the best place to ask given the recent SALT talks, I found via a free library The Star Wars History From Deterrence to Defence: The American Strategic Debate, Michael Charlton; it’s a rather slim 23 person oral history of the title.

Anybody read it? Good, bad, self-serving? If not I’ll report back!
Do! That's actually a new one on me source-wise and I'm always up for more juicy details about how Edward Teller's snake oil became Saint Ronnie's idee fixe.