Flower O'Scotland

She's 16-17 right now. Otl she went from first in line, as in the privy council being ready to proclaim her when Elizabeth almost died in 1562, to engaging in a secret marriage, getting pregnant, and ending up in the tower and dead by 1568.

She's 16-17 right now. Otl she went from first in line, as in the privy council being ready to proclaim her when Elizabeth almost died in 1562, to engaging in a secret marriage, getting pregnant, and ending up in the tower and dead by 1568.
Yes but that was after her father and sister were executed. She was hardly ready for independent adult life after her father had died. He dictated her first marriage. Here she is quite an eligible catch for a son of a leading Scottish nobleman and perhaps even for an English one.

VVD0D95

Banned

This is very very true

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes but that was after her father and sister were executed. She was hardly ready for independent adult life after her father had died. He dictated her first marriage. Here she is quite an eligible catch for a son of a leading Scottish nobleman and perhaps even for an English one.

Oh definitely

That is true. Still, otl she grew up with the example of her dead father and sister and in Mary's court which could have been effective teaching moments, but weren't. That is why she could turn out okay as you suggest or be an utter fool because she has, in D&D terms, a naturally low wisdom score.

Either could be fun to write and reasonable interpretations of her character.

That is true. Still, otl she grew up with the example of her dead father and sister and in Mary's court which could have been effective teaching moments, but weren't. That is why she could turn out okay as you suggest or be an utter fool because she has, in D&D terms, a naturally low wisdom score.

Either could be fun to write and reasonable interpretations of her character.
I think in OTL she was alone, pretty sure who Elizabeth would never let her marry and in love so she had secretly married (and to me this looks more desperate than stupid)
In another situation is pretty unlikely to see her doing something stupid...

Chapter 72: Meet The Parents

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 72: Meet The Parents

April, 1557

Jane shifted slightly on her chair. It had taken her a little longer this time to get back into the swing of things after giving birth to their son than it had done when she’d given birth to Mary. But now she was recovered and she was here at the meeting between her husband and her parents to help discuss the situation that she knew her husband had deliberately created to make things interesting for her parents. She didn’t resent that, but she did find it inconvenient.

“Mother, Father, we all know that you cannot remain ambassador to Scotland and also be a Duke in Scotland. That is something that just cannot be allowed to stand. Either you have to be one or the other.” Jane said.

“And yet the Queen of England has left it to your father to decide.” James said simply, though Jane knew he knew it was not that simple.

“Her Majesty Queen Mary is no doubt trying to test your father.” Mother answered. “Trying to see which way he goes. The longer he takes to decide, the more uncertain our future will be.”

“Hardly.” James replied. “Either you are the ambassador or you are not. Either way you are still drawing money from your estates.”

Jane looked at her husband found herself wondering just who he was using as a spy in London to figure this all out. “Well what have you decided, father?” She asked. At her father’s vacant expression, she asked. “You have reached a choice, right? It’s been two months already.”

Her father didn’t say anything, but Mother did. “Well you see, the issue is that our lands in England would make us wealthier than any lands that Your Majesty offers us here. But being a Duke would come with a prestige that we do not have in England. So, it is about weighing up what we want more.”

Jane knew she should be surprised by how blunt Mother was being, but she had come to expect that from her. So, instead she simply said. “I think you should be worrying more about whether you are going to be able to survive this storm than prestige.”

“What do you mean?” Mother asked, with an eyebrow raised.

“Well, we know from our sources that Queen Mary’s eldest daughter Catherine is gravely ill. We also know that she has begun closing the borders in Calais and the ports in the south of England. Sooner or later she will decide to do the same for the border between England and Scotland. You need to decide where you will be when she does. If she closes the border and you are still here, then your time is done.” Jane said.

“How do you know this?” Mother asked.

“Our friends in London wrote to us, and we have simple common sense to see this. The French ambassador was dismissed, but the Imperial and Spanish ambassadors remain. Our own ambassador to London is on his way home. It does not take a clever person to figure out where this is going.” Jane said.

Mother looked stunned. She looked to Father then and it seemed that Father had reached a conclusion. “Your Majesties, whilst I appreciate the offer of a Dukedom, it has come to my attention that perhaps that is not the best thing for my family at this time. Therefore, I shall remain in position as ambassador until further notice.”

“Very well.” James replied. Mother and Father both got up, bowed and then left. Once they were gone, James spoke. “Your father isn’t going to live for very long.”

Jane sighed. “Indeed not, but for the time he has left. He should at least enjoy it, and he wouldn’t be able to if he were both a Duke of Scotland and an ambassador.”

“Indeed not.” James said. He kissed her hand then and said. “Come let us see what the children are doing.”

Chapter 73: A Parent's Worst Nightmare

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 73: A Parent’s Worst Nightmare

July, 1557

Luis blinked. The tiredness was beginning to seep into his bones. He didn’t know how much more of this stress he could really take. First there had been the grief of knowing his brother John had died, and that his son John Manuel was ill, and now there was this trouble with Catherine. How Maria kept her calm and managed to rule the country he did not know. He was a nervous wreck. He put on a brave face though and took his wife’s hand as the doctor spoke.

“Your Majesty, Your Royal Highness, I have consulted with my colleagues and we have a clear diagnosis for what ails Her Highness Princess Katherine.” The Doctor said in English. Luis finally understood all these strange words that the English used, after a few years in the country.

“And?” Luis demanded. He did not like how these people spent their time pausing before continuing.

“She has a hideous lump on her stomach as you know, that lump is slowly consuming her from the inside out and it is killing her.” The Doctor said.

Maria gasped, Luis held onto his wife’s hand. “Is there anyway you can save her?” Luis demanded.

The Doctor looked terrified, he shook and shivered. Only right, Luis thought to himself, the man held the fate of the heir to the throne in his hands. “Unfortunately not, Your Royal Highness. The only way to remove the lump inside Her Highness is to cut inside her and try and remove it that way. The problem is that such a procedure would likely kill Her Highness due to the amount of blood she would lose.”

Maria gasped, and Luis closed his eyes, he said a prayer and then asked. “So, is what you’re telling us that either way our daughter is dead?”

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.” The Doctor answered.

“You said you could cure her!” Maria snarled.

“I had thought it might be possible, Your Majesty. But after thoroughly examining Her Highness, I know now that nothing I do could be enough to save her.” The Doctor responded.

Maria gasped then, Luis squeezed her hand and asked. “So, what do you suggest?”

The Doctor looked at him and sighed. “I recommend, Your Royal Highness, that you speak with your daughter, and then you prepare to see her away.”

“What?!” Maria asked.

“He means that we should see her away to God, Maria.” Luis whispered.

Maria whimpered then. “Very well.”

Luis waved a hand dismissing the doctor, once the man was gone, he held Maria as she cried into his chest. For the first time he felt helpless. This was not a problem he could make go away with his brain or with his sword. This was a problem that had destroyed his daughter. After what seemed a long time, Maria stopped crying, he helped her to her feet and together they walked to their daughter’s room. Katherine was sleeping. Luis steeled himself, he kissed his daughter’s forehead.

Maria went to wake her up, but Luis held her back. “Let her sleep.” He said.

Maria looked at him then and she whispered. “Why is God doing this? What have we done to wrong him, that he would punish us by taking our daughter?”

Luis sighed. “I do not know.” It was true he did not know, he could not find an answer.

The doctor appeared then with the cloth. “Are you ready, Your Majesty, Your Royal Highness?” he asked.

“Yes.” Maria said simply.

The doctor placed the cloth on Katherine’s eyes and then said something. He then removed the cloth. The priest who had been waiting for days woke up then and Katherine was also woken up. She said the last rites, and took confession, then she looked at Luis and Maria and said. “I’m sorry Mama and Papa.” Luis almost cried then but instead replied.

“You have nothing to be sorry for my beautiful girl.”

There was silence then Katherine drank the serum, and went to sleep. Luis watched as his daughter’s chest rose and fell, until it no longer rose. At that Maria broke down crying and Luis cursed God for taking his daughter from them.

He didn’t know how much more of this stress he could really take. First there had been the grief of knowing his brother John had died, and that his son John Manuel was ill, and now there was this trouble with Catherine.

Does Joao Manuel have kids ITTL (i.e. an alt-Sebastian?)? Because if he dies without issue there'd be implications regarding Luis and the Portuguese succession, no?

VVD0D95

Banned
Does Joao Manuel have kids ITTL (i.e. an alt-Sebastian?)? Because if he dies without issue there'd be implications regarding Luis and the Portuguese succession, no?
He does have a son, but Sebastian’s health is slightly poor as well. So big implications for luis