The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

You know imagine if Patton ends up forming a Fascist Party. And well he mainly does this out of spite towards everyone in Congress and Government. As well I can easily see him easily influenced by Fascism from the Italians.

I can see Patton use names for his party like the American Union Party or the Greater America Party.

That and Patton teams up with other American Fascists like Ezra Pound, Amerigo Dumini and Lawrence Dennis where they all combine efforts and create an American Fascist Party.

By the way, is ironic in a sweetbitter way how Wallace did one of the best actions as a TTL postwar president could make - firing Hoover. And besides with very good reasons. But with twice worse timing: too late, and in a situation of political weakness.

Ultimately, the Freedom Party's got the same possible problem the post-ACW Democrats had; their ideologically committed to something the rest of the country has no interest in supporting, so they need to branch out and find constituencies that agree with them on other issues but are willing to tolerate segregation.

I think the Freedom Party is a doomed entity. They are too tied to segregation and have become too closely tied to the KKK in ways that are too public. Not only will they not have luck spreading beyond the South as time goes on their group there will become a burdensome thing as the South feels alienated from the rest of the country. And if Patton is seen as the one who 'saves the country' under the Republican banner I can see that taking a good bit of their thunder.

So I predict a steady decline after the Red Scare for the FP; possibly with a big collapse being their final stage.

Last edited:
I think the Freedom Party is a doomed entity. They are too tied to segregation and have become too closely tied to the KKK in ways that are too public.
This! Especially if you think about the "in ways that are too public" part.
Any Republican administration whether deeply committed to Civil Rights or not giving a damm about them, is not going to allow a Political Party send their Jackbooted Stormtroopers to openly take control of polling stations by force.
Ethics and self-interest are perfectly aligned for them on that one.

Patton/Nixon

The later is dragged forcibly to be responsible for dragging Ol' Blood and Guts into Politics.

*whistles*

Nixon just scrtaches by for eligibility. Granted its eleven Months, but i figure that Dewey is a bit more eligable given he has been in politics for a while, whereas Patton and Nixon are literally just starting/.

By the way, is ironic in a sweetbitter way how Wallace did one of the best actions as a TTL postwar president could make - firing Hoover. And besides with very good reasons. But with twice worse timing: too late, and in a situation of political weakness.

That is likely a fleeting achievement. I could see Hoover getting his job back after Wallace is removed.

America is screwed, even after Wallace, when the wannabe tinpot men like Patton and McCarthy take over.

Well to his credit Patton had to be talked into it, by Tricky Dick no less.

I expect Patton would only be a one term president. Aside from him likely hating the job, I doubt his will be a 'glorious presidency'. But unlike Wallace Patton will get a kinder view from the mainstream history, and may get points and leeway by virtue of just not messing up as badly as Wallace has.

Still I think Patton will not be the one to return normalcy to the USA.

America is screwed, even after Wallace, when the wannabe tinpot men like Patton and McCarthy take over.

Well probably the real power in the White House could be Nixon if Patton wins and because he won't be in his bitter phase - nor eventually going to be TTL - is probable he could keep some sanity in the administration.

Well probably the real power in the White House could be Nixon if Patton wins and because he won't be in his bitter phase - nor eventually going to be TTL - is probable he could keep some sanity in the administration.

Californian Congressman Richard Nixon making a visit.
Problem is that Nixon was only elected in 1947. He will only be 35 in 1948. He is literally going to only have less than a year of "making government work/government experience" and you would think that most of the old guard of the Republican Party, if they successfully win with Patton, are going to want someone with some executive and legislative experience to counteract Patton's non-entity political experience.

I mean, its possible to put Nixon on the ticket to give a youthful presence, but Nixon is pretty much a non-entity himself politically at this stage.

I don't see Patton/Nixon, if only because they were both Californians, unless Patton ran from Virginia.

I also see Patton as potentially great President - think Dwight Eisenhower with a more colorful vocabulary and an occasional temper.

Vuu

Banned
Oh boy. This entire "give half the balkans to historic nonentities" thing will certainly not end well. The Serbs and Greeks will get their shared border even if they have to pull a Princip on roids and chuck the world into a nuclear holocaust at this point

Anyways, I expect that Josip Tito is a completely different guy than Josip Broz, who was literally in the Austrohungarian anti-Serbian death squads. Also surprised that Nedic is rather incompetent, he was quite a popular figure (which is why he was forced to run OTL wartime rump Serbia almost at gunpoint). Though it might be that at this point the age might have got to him (despite the OTL official story of his death being that he, a sick 100kg 71 year old broke free of the guards, and catapulted himself cleanly through a window that's 1m from the ground, which is so ridiculous only an idiot would believe it)

Republicans are going to want an old-guard eastern figure to balance Patton on the ticket. Probably a substantial politician from NY/MA/PA/OH who is perceived as a steady pair of hands. Dewy makes a lot of sense. Taft is an outside possibility, though he'd likely be unpopular with the labor voters Republicans could win over in huge numbers this go-round. Arthur Vandenberg of MI is less east coast establishment, but definitely a steady pair of hands.

What about nj Governor Charles Edison? Thomas alvas son, strongly committed to civil rights and very much a hawk, but with a rep of being very steady, to counteract blood and guts flying off the handle.