Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've *finally* made it through all 255 pages (well, I skimmed some) of this timeline, and wow! Obviously I'm biased as a former and soon-to-be New Englander, but this is an amazing piece of work. I do have a couple of questions about tiny details:

1. There's a map of the US and its Interstate Highways, and I noticed that OTL I-5 is instead I-1 - any particular reason for that? In our timeline major interstates get multiples of 5, and in OTL California I-1 would be confused with CA-1 (the Pacific Coast Highway).
2. Speaking of which, is there an equivalent to OTL CA-1? I'd imagine things would be a bit different with the California/Hamilton split.
3. Same map, I noticed I-80 goes to Eureka instead of San Francisco - is Eureka a more significant city in this timeline?
4. Finally, what is the name of OTL Sherman, CT? It split off from New Fairfield in 1802 OTL, named after Roger Sherman, but I'm curious if he's at all significant ITTL.

Thanks in advance for answers to these tiny details, and apologies if they were answered elsewhere.

Hey @Kanan if you don't mind me asking, how do you make your wikiboxes so well? Your stuff here's really inspired me to try my own kind of 'graphic timeline,' but while I know how to make a map, I don't know the first thing about wikiboxes. Do you use the Wikipedia sandbox? Or do you edit them in graphics software? Thanks!

VT45

Banned
I can’t speak for Kanan, but I do all the text editing in Sandbox and then the image editing in Paint.NET.

You know, if one looks at it, it's almost like the political play by play and "narrative" of this TL plays out almost like a three act structure, with Kirk's ousting being how we went from the starting setting to the rising action and all the other events casting off from it. But that would be silly, right?

>.>

I'm saying nothing :openedeyewink:

It’s funny I had this exact thing in mind when seeing the grid as I have family in the Adirondacks who would not be connected to the grid in this. And it’s not like they live in isolation.

Yeah. That would also probably be the case, mostly in central Adirondack far away from say -- the major motorways

You saying that makes me want to come up with summaries of political dramas/plays (non-canon, of course, unless Kanan okayed them!)...Broadway might not be in New England but it seems like Boston would have developed an independent theatre culture over the decades; it had a strong one until the advent of the television age. Hard to imagine Brooklyn wouldn't have one as well, though it depends what the Manhattan scene is like I guess.

I'd love to see this!

So I've *finally* made it through all 255 pages (well, I skimmed some) of this timeline, and wow! Obviously I'm biased as a former and soon-to-be New Englander, but this is an amazing piece of work. I do have a couple of questions about tiny details:

1. There's a map of the US and its Interstate Highways, and I noticed that OTL I-5 is instead I-1 - any particular reason for that? In our timeline major interstates get multiples of 5, and in OTL California I-1 would be confused with CA-1 (the Pacific Coast Highway).
2. Speaking of which, is there an equivalent to OTL CA-1? I'd imagine things would be a bit different with the California/Hamilton split.
3. Same map, I noticed I-80 goes to Eureka instead of San Francisco - is Eureka a more significant city in this timeline?
4. Finally, what is the name of OTL Sherman, CT? It split off from New Fairfield in 1802 OTL, named after Roger Sherman, but I'm curious if he's at all significant ITTL.

Thanks in advance for answers to these tiny details, and apologies if they were answered elsewhere.

Awesome! Glad you made it through them all. Welcome back to New England!!

1. This is mostly because the interstate conventions are similar, but not the same. CA-1 also does not exist, the development of motorways within the United States was moribund until the interstate system itself was created.
2. Not really. Mostly surface roads. Railroads and mass transit made up the majority of traffic for intercity transit, so there was never really a desire to make a large highway.
3. Eureka is the most populous city in northern Hamilton. That's about it! It used to be the last (major) stop on the railway lines into Columbia.
4. It's named the town of Arnold, after famed British General Benedict Arnold.

So what exactly is the "High Street Group"? Are they like the Cornerstone Group in OTL's UK Conservative party?

Yeah! Think of a mixture of the Cornerstone Group and the Tea Party in the United States

Hey @Kanan if you don't mind me asking, how do you make your wikiboxes so well? Your stuff here's really inspired me to try my own kind of 'graphic timeline,' but while I know how to make a map, I don't know the first thing about wikiboxes. Do you use the Wikipedia sandbox? Or do you edit them in graphics software? Thanks!

It's no worries at all! Yeah, I use the wikipedia sandbox. All pictures I use are placeholders that are from wikimedia, and when I need to edit them, I do it all in Photoshop!

List of countries with Alcohol Prohibition
78g1ybe.png

@Kanan is there a step-by-step tutorial online for creating wikiboxes that you're aware of (and that you can point us to)?
I hope @Kanan doesn't mind me answering given her not knowing, but I found this album on Imgur to be helpful/illustrative! It's originally from one of the Paradox Game subreddits, so I can't claim credit, but I used the advice/examples for a project I'm working on for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.