US Rail System Transportation?

marathag

Banned
China is an outlier for three main areas

Flush with cash
Eminent Domain is not an issue due to it being a totalitarian system
'Dear Leader' wants it to happen

That's because France is incredibly Paris-centric. All major economic activity happens in Paris, bar Airbus in Toulouse. Virtually everyone who spends decent money (ie. business travellers) is going to/from Paris; hence the rail layout. Railways reflect economic relationships; they aren't built to serve the small amounts of tourists that go on Avignon->Tours. Likewise as I mentioned; HSR between San Fran and LA won't serve everyone, but they will serve a large amount of people.
LA and SF are way too far apart which is a big reason CA failed. At the end of the day, I am betting it costs $100 billion+ and in the end, it is not worth it. You could probably build trollies and trams in every major city in CA and allow everyone to use it for free and still come out ahead. It would also serve more people, reduce pollution more and save more energy as it would be actually used.

HSR is only realistic in a handful of areas in the country, which I really can't see a problem with some federal funding for, likely in partnership with the private sector.

Why would the private sector put in dime one for the project? That is what CA planned to do and came up empty. The only way I see it working is to guarantee profits for the private company. After all, it is a near certain money loser. At that point, you might as well sell bonds instead.

'30s thru '50s you had Milwaukee Road, CNW and CB&Q running respectable passenger trains from Chicago to Twin Cities that were averaging 60-63 mph, with 7-8 stops. Not enough traffic just to Milwaukee to justify even limited HSR.
Rock Island even had a 60mph average for their Chicago to Des Moines run, and that had 6 stops.

There is an intermediate distance, 200-400 miles, where rail travel at “traditional” levels made sense. No high-tech, high-speed, except for more double tracking in spots.

Notice how many nonstop flights have disappeared from the timetables? You can no longer fly from St. Louis to Memphis, Kansas City, Nashville or Indianapolis. Driving is faster. These are routes where old fashioned railroad could beat driving decades ago, but not today. The costs would be prohibitive today. Maybe it would take postal service support, but fifties-level rail service for short distance, connecting with air travel for longer runs, would be more efficient.

SsgtC

Banned
Considering the question, the answer is China. If you're going to respond with points about funding etc, then I'll repeat that no-one is realistically suggesting you should similarly criss-cross the US with HSR. HSR is only realistic in a handful of areas in the country, which I really can't see a problem with some federal funding for, likely in partnership with the private sector.
No, China is not the answer. China has a population over 4 times larger than the United States. In addition, that population is largely clustered in the Eastern half of the country. Which is also where 99% of their HSR lines are. Combine those two factors and what you get is, China has three times the population of the US in an area half the size of the United States. See the two maps below n the first is China's population density. The second is their HSR network. See how the two match up? Even the one line that goes West follows where the population density is highest. China is not the example to use to justify HSR in the United States.

china-population-density-map2.jpg

china-high-speed-rail-map.jpg

The issue is that by the 1950's railroads just didn't have the flexibility that people got from cars. Also highways looked like the future to a lot of people. The political issues are big as well, you mention Texas as a State that could support it but as a major oil producer why would they want to? As pointed out their just is no way for it to be anything else then a money sink. The costs in both time, money and legal issues would be immense.

marathag

Banned
The political issues are big as well, you mention Texas as a State that could support it but as a major oil producer why would they want to?
Most steam engines in the Midwest and West had converted to oil burning by time most Steam was retired for Diesels by 1954. People really wouldn't stop driving cars or flying, so Texas keeps pumping no matter the method of transportation

SsgtC

Banned
There is an intermediate distance, 200-400 miles, where rail travel at “traditional” levels made sense. No high-tech, high-speed, except for more double tracking in spots.
Those routes he listed are "intermediate distance." And they still failed spectacularly.

Notice how many nonstop flights have disappeared from the timetables? You can no longer fly from St. Louis to Memphis, Kansas City, Nashville or Indianapolis. Driving is faster. These are routes where old fashioned railroad could beat driving decades ago, but not today. The costs would be prohibitive today. Maybe it would take postal service support, but fifties-level rail service for short distance, connecting with air travel for longer runs, would be more efficient.
Really? Then explain how Southwest has three daily nonstop flights from St Louis to Nashville? Or why they have four daily nonstop flights to Kansas City?

The other cities, you're right, no nonstop service. Want to know why? Because there's no demand for it. If there was, there would be direct service. If the airlines don't offer direct service somewhere, it's a good bet that direct rail service won't work out to well either.

PS: St Louis lost a lot of those destinations when TWA went bankrupt and St Louis was no longer a hub city. So your examples are slightly disingenuous.

I agree with you that a nationwide scheme is completely preposterous and impossible. However, I back Riain that several smaller regional schemes are quite possible.

If your argument is that HSR are a money sink for little gain, well that's a matter of perception, but is also the same for almost anything funded by the federal Govt. 10 Nuclear aircraft carriers - what use does the normal resident in the US need them for? They "push freedom" to the world, but the US territorial security is fine without them. Federal funding for Amtrak? Two US states are not served by Amtrak despite part funding it. Defence spending is highly skewed by state, so clearly different federal funding to different states is politically acceptable.

If your argument is that HSR is not an effective use of money, well if you carefully target the profitable segments, then I can't see what you're arguing about if the end result has a return on investment (despite the fact that the several US airlines/airports, and the entire Interstate Highway System runs on subsidy / taxation). Evidently most passengers in CA have no problem with going to a transfer point, spending an hour or so in security and then flying to the other city, and so have no issue with leaving their car behind. Whether you use a plane or train is irrelevant for the customer; what matters is total time, price and to a lesser extent comfort. SFO to LAX is approx 1:30 flight time - plus 10 mins each end for loading/unloading, 30 mins at departure for checkin and security (pre-9/11). That's already approx 2:15. Not everyone will be going in to the city centres, but a significant amount will be, which will incur an additional 20-30 minutes at the destination city for transfer from airport to centre, something again taking time to 2:45 for central area destinations. This is something the train won't beat, but isn't far off and can be competitive against with a correct price point, marketing, frequent traveller programme, onboard facilities.

North-East, California and maybe Texas are the prime candidates. Elsewhere I agree with you that HSR is unlikely. The Midwest is technically possible, but crossing so many state boundaries I can't see it being politically realistic.

West Coast.. San Diego - north to Seattle
LA or San Diego - Phoenix and or Vegas

Chicago - st Louis / Chicago Detroit Cleveland - Buffalo then north or south
Texas
Boston, NYC, Philly, DC

Devvy

Donor
LA and SF are way too far apart which is a big reason CA failed. At the end of the day, I am betting it costs $100 billion+ and in the end, it is not worth it. You could probably build trollies and trams in every major city in CA and allow everyone to use it for free and still come out ahead. It would also serve more people, reduce pollution more and save more energy as it would be actually used.

LA and SF are 380 miles apart; it's pretty much straight in the middle of the sweet spot for HSR. Car driving will take 5-6 hours. Flying is a headline short 1:40, but excludes transit time to/from airport, checkin, security, loading/unloading and taxiing. Realistically more like 2:30 at least, if not 3:00 more realistically. Obviously if you live near the airport, and your destination is near the airport, then great. But HSR from city centre to city centre will also cater for a lot of travellers as well as those who can easily access the stations via BART or the LA transit.

380 miles as crow flies may well round out easily to 450 miles. But even with a mid range 150mph HSR, that's 3 hours, easily competitive with air travel for many passengers, and easily marketable to the right travel segments. Even a lower end 125mph HSR will do it in under 4 hours, and that's marketable if the price point is right.

No, China is not the answer. China has a population over 4 times larger than the United States. In addition, that population is largely clustered in the Eastern half of the country. Which is also where 99% of their HSR lines are. Combine those two factors and what you get is, China has three times the population of the US in an area half the size of the United States. See the two maps below n the first is China's population density. The second is their HSR network. See how the two match up? Even the one line that goes West follows where the population density is highest. China is not the example to use to justify HSR in the United States.

I'm well aware of the geography of China and the US. The question was to name another large country where HSR works. China is a valid answer to that. You may argue against HSR in other ways, but sheer geography isn't it when another large country has successfully built it, and that I've repeatedly said that I only envisage HSR working in small regional areas. California, North-East, and maybe Texas.

The issue is that by the 1950's railroads just didn't have the flexibility that people got from cars. Also highways looked like the future to a lot of people. The political issues are big as well, you mention Texas as a State that could support it but as a major oil producer why would they want to? As pointed out their just is no way for it to be anything else then a money sink. The costs in both time, money and legal issues would be immense.

Tell that to OTL; Texas has dabbled a couple of times in HSR, apparently it is fairly interesting OTL. Lawsuits from various concerns, as with many other things in the US, has prevented it.

West Coast.. San Diego - north to Seattle
LA or San Diego - Phoenix and or Vegas

Chicago - st Louis / Chicago Detroit Cleveland - Buffalo then north or south
Texas
Boston, NYC, Philly, DC

Sorry, but no chance. Look at the geography north of San Fran, and the lack of any decent market.
Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis maybe, again that crosses 3 state boundaries and the politics gets difficult quickly. Can't really see many other Chicago corridors if that one can't get off the ground.
Boston-NYC-Philly-DC is part of the North-East Corridor I've already mentioned, and already runs quasi-HSR well.

LA and SF are 380 miles apart; it's pretty much straight in the middle of the sweet spot for HSR. Car driving will take 5-6 hours. Flying is a headline short 1:40, but excludes transit time to/from airport, checkin, security, loading/unloading and taxiing. Realistically more like 2:30 at least, if not 3:00 more realistically. Obviously if you live near the airport, and your destination is near the airport, then great. But HSR from city centre to city centre will also cater for a lot of travellers as well as those who can easily access the stations via BART or the LA transit.

380 miles as crow flies may well round out easily to 450 miles. But even with a mid range 150mph HSR, that's 3 hours, easily competitive with air travel for many passengers, and easily marketable to the right travel segments. Even a lower end 125mph HSR will do it in under 4 hours, and that's marketable if the price point is right.

Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis maybe, again that crosses 3 state boundaries and the politics gets difficult quickly. Can't really see many other Chicago corridors if that one can't get off the ground.
Boston-NYC-Philly-DC is part of the North-East Corridor I've already mentioned, and already runs quasi-HSR well.

1) Again to what purpose? You are solving a non-problem. It is simply cheaper to have a road go from LA to SF which not only handles both passengers and cargo but can have exits anywhere needed. If you are trying to save congestion and energy intracity transit makes more sense. It both has a bigger effect and is cheaper.
2) Milwaukee-Chicago? Maybe. Minneapolis? Not a chance, it is too far away and there is basically nothing between Milwaukee and Minneapolis and not nearly enough traffic to justify it.

SsgtC

Banned
I'm well aware of the geography of China and the US. The question was to name another large country where HSR works. China is a valid answer to that. You may argue against HSR in other ways, but sheer geography isn't it when another large country has successfully built it, and that I've repeatedly said that I only envisage HSR working in small regional areas. California, North-East, and maybe Texas.
Except for one thing. You're blatantly ignoring the disparity in population density. China can run HSR where it does because it has astronomical population density in those areas. Not just in the major cities, but along the entire route. That's not the case in the US. I drive all over the country for work. And I can tell you first hand that between the major cities, there's almost literally nothing there. If your proposed HSR only serves major Urban centers, it'll never get approved. On the flip side, putting in multiple stops to serve rural or semi-rural areas defeats the whole purpose of HSR.

The railroads don’t have to be traditional. It can be any type of transportation system similar to the railroads. It can be electric, long distance subways, or whatever. You just have to explain how it would work and be possible.

The railroads don’t have to be traditional. It can be any type of transportation system similar to the railroads. It can be electric, long distance subways, or whatever. You just have to explain how it would work and be possible.

The reasons trams and subways work is that they are short distanced and so are being USED. Being used is the problem. Far more people are going from East LA to Downtown LA in a day than from LA to SF.

The reasons trams and subways work is that they are short distanced and so are being USED. Being used is the problem. Far more people are going from East LA to Downtown LA in a day than from LA to SF.
What does that tram under the English Channel count as? How can you build something like that under the sea but building rails here is an issue?

We can but it would be a waste of money. The Chunnel was a prestige project more than anything else.
Isn’t the 50s a perfect time for a prestige project in the US? Countries do often spend a lot of money on stuff to just outdo others and for the prestige. The public often join in on it too if presented correctly. America did do stuff just to do it during the Cold War so they could say they did it the best or first.

Keep air travel as a luxury service for domestic flights, this was relatively true until the 1970s, so stretch that out a decade and you have a higher demand and market for passenger rail. It ain’t gonna do much though, rail has a tiny niche. It has to be a cheaper short range alternative that is somewhat comparable to air travel. All you can do is give it a bit of breathing room for some high speed rail to develop for all the travel distances that are inefficient for airplanes (basically when you spend only an hour or less in the air) But it won’t be like Europe, rail probably won’t be subsidized in the US ITTL like in France and the UK if it isn’t a failure like Amtrak.

Last edited: