4. Ben
5. Jesse's Girl

Side 2
1. Twist and Shout
2. Frankie's Man, Johnnie
3. Great Balls of Fire
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5. Don't Stop Me Now

After a couple of months after his friend's death, Elvis finally gets back into the mood to record a new album. Which would unironically put him back on top.

OQIWCsQ.png

BACK ON TOP
(1981)

Side 1
1. Earth Angel
2. Don't Stop Believin'
3. Celebration
4. Ben
5. Jesse's Girl

Side 2
1. Twist and Shout
2. Frankie's Man, Johnnie
3. Great Balls of Fire
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5. Don't Stop Me Now

After a couple of months after his friend's death, Elvis finally gets back into the mood to record a new album. Which would unironically put him back on top.
Imagine Elvis doing Comfortably Numb

F4823A61-FBD6-495D-9824-BB98E31EF87C.jpeg

Smile- The Beach Boys (1967)

Side 1
1. Our Prayer- (B. Wilson)
2. Do You Like Worms?- (B. Wilson - Parks)
3. Heroes and Villains- (B. Wilson - Parks)
4. Cabin Essence- (B. Wilson - Parks)
5. Barnyard- (B. Wilson - Parks)
6. My Only Sunshine (The Master Painter)- (Gillespie - Davis - Mitchell)

Side 2
1. Good Vibrations- (B. Wilson - Love)
2. Look (Song for Children)- (B. Wilson - Parks)
3. Child Is Father of the Man- (B. Wilson - Parks)
4. You’re Welcome- (B. Wilson)
5. Wonderful- (B. Wilson - Parks)
6. Surf’s Up- (B. Wilson - Parks)

Last edited:
26E60048-25BE-45C4-AF53-6AA96345A82C.jpeg

Friends-
The Beach Boys (1968)

Side 1
1. Meant for You- (B. Wilson - Love)
2. Be Still- (D. Wilson - Kalinish)
3. Wake the World- (B. Wilson - Jardine)
4. Let the Wind Blow- (B. Wilson - Love)
5. Little Bird- (D. Wilson - Kalinish)
6. Passing By- (B. Wilson)

Side 2
1. Diamond Head- (B. Wilson)
2. Gettin’ Hungry- (B. Wilson - Love)
3. Be Here In the Mornin’- (B. Wilson - C. Wilson - Love - Jardine)
4. Wind Chimes- (B. Wilson)
5. Busy Doin’ Nothin’- (B. Wilson)
6. Friends- (B. Wilson - C. Wilson - D. Wilson - Jardine)

Last edited:

63FC8FDB-7270-4FC4-966B-129CBB42BC31.jpeg

Ringo!- Ringo Starr
(1971)

Side 1
1. It Don’t Come Easy- (Harrison- Starkey)
2. Coochy Coochy- (Starkey)
3. Loser’s Lounge- (Pierce)
4. I Dig Love- (Harrison)
5. Only You (And You Alone)- (Ram)

Side 2
1. Early 1970- (Starkey)
2. Photograph- (Harrison- Starkey)
3. Woman of the Night- (Pickard)
4. Nashville Jam- (Starkey)
5. Back Off Boogaloo- (Starkey)
POD: “Sentimental Journey” and “Beaucoups of Blues” aren’t released, Ringo! Is a moderate success, reaching #22 in the US and fared lower in the UK with #40. And wasn’t AS attacked by critics as much as those 2 albums were in OTL.

BE938903-DC4C-4BCF-8B19-47AB0A4F850C.jpeg

Abracadabra- The Beatles
(1966)

Side 1
1. I Want To Tell You- (Harrison)
2. I’m Only Sleeping- (Lennon - McCartney)
3. 12 Bar Original- (Lennon - McCartney - Harrison - Best)
4. For No One- (Lennon - McCartney)
5. She Said She Said- (Lennon - McCartney)
6. Strawberry Fields Forever- (Lennon - McCartney)

Side 2
1. Doctor Robert- (Lennon - McCartney)
2. Taxman- (Lennon - McCartney)
3. And Your Bird Can Sing- (Lennon - McCartney)
4. Good Day Sunshine- (Lennon - McCartney)
5. Isn’t It A Pity- (Harrison)
6. Here, There, And Everywhere- (Lennon - McCartney)
POD: The Beatles sign with Decca, Pete Best is kept in the band, and The Beatles split with Decca after releasing the “butchered” version of this album. Signing with EMI/ Capitol

315A6E3A-57FE-4E88-9644-0BCDEA0D6407.jpeg

The Beatles EMI/ Capitol Debut Single (1966)

Last edited:
View attachment 457518
Abracadabra- The Beatles
(1966)

Side 1
1. I Want To Tell You- (Harrison)
2. I’m Only Sleeping- (Lennon - McCartney)
3. 12 Bar Original- (Lennon - McCartney - Harrison - Best)
4. For No One- (Lennon - McCartney)
5. She Said She Said- (Lennon - McCartney)
6. Strawberry Fields Forever- (Lennon - McCartney)

Side 2
1. Doctor Robert- (Lennon - McCartney)
2. Taxman- (Lennon - McCartney)
3. And Your Bird Can Sing- (Lennon - McCartney)
4. Good Day Sunshine- (Lennon - McCartney)
5. Isn’t It A Pity- (Harrison)
6. Here, There, And Everywhere- (Lennon - McCartney)
POD: The Beatles sign with Decca, Pete Best is kept in the band, and The Beatles split with Decca after releasing the “butchered” version of this album. Signing with EMI/ Capitol

View attachment 457521
The Beatles Debut Single (1966)
And then Sgt Peppers

A familiar final album named after another famous London street. Apparently it has a high concentration of Bangladeshi immigrants, which would logically pique the interest of George Harrison, right?

tzAJ9Bp.jpg

The Beatles - Brick Lane

SIDE 1

1. Because (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr)
2. Just Fun (Lennon-McCartney)
3. Oh! Darling (McCartney)
4. Here Comes the Sun (Harrison)
5. She Came In Through the Bathroom Window (McCartney)
6. All I Want Is You (Lennon)
7. Can You Dig It? (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr)

SIDE 2

1. Don't Let Me Down (Lennon)
2. Something (Harrison)
3. Suicide (McCartney)
4. Octopus's Garden (Starr)
5. Look Out The Window (Harrison)
6. Oh My Love (Lennon)
7. Gone Tomorrow, Here Today (McCartney)

Get Back

CD220.jpg

Get Back- The Beatles
(1969)
Genre: Rock, Roots Rock​

Side 1

1. Get Back- (Lennon - McCartney)
2. Don’t Let Me Down- (Lennon - McCartney)
3. I’ve Got A Feeling- (Lennon - McCartney)​
4. I Me Mine- (Harrison)
5. Two Of Us- (Lennon - McCartney)

Side 2
1. Octopus’s Garden- (Starkey)
2. One After 909- (Lennon - McCartney)
3. For You Blue- (Harrison)
4. Come Together- (Lennon - McCartney)'
5. Let It Be- (Lennon - McCartney)​

Personnel
  • John Lennon: Guitar, Vocals (2, 3, 5, 7, 9)

• Paul McCartney: Bass, Piano, Vocals (1, 3, 5, 7, 10)

• George Harrison: Lead Guitar, Vocals (4, 8)

• Ringo Starr: Drums, Vocals (6)

• Billy Preston: Piano (1, 3, 10)
Reception
Get Back topped the charts in both the United States and the UK, the corresponding single “Get Back/ Don’t Let Me Down” reached #4 on the Billboard 200 and #1 in the UK. John Lennon said in his Playboy interview in 1980 “Those sessions were complete hell, we at least got a good album out of it, even though some critics don’t agree with me on that”

“Get Back /w Don’t Let Me Down” Single (1969)
84CA840C-8E63-4EEB-9875-CB09AA7488C6.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a project I plan to do it soon... a Brazilian focused one. Since Mutantes have a certain international fame [mentioning Kurt Cobain and Sean Lennon], I want to give it a shot.

Initial POD.: Os Mutantes manages to release their first 'international' album, Tecnicolor, consisting in English versions of their albums, with a moderate success in Europe.
The release of Jardim Elétrico (Electric Garden) is the last one under the Polydor label, since they had conflicts with the label to release the next album.

os-mutantes-jardim-eletrico-lp-D_NQ_NP_886530-MLB26882934694_022018-F.jpg

OS MUTANTES - JARDIM ELÉTRICO (1971)
Genre: Psychedelic rock, tropicália
Total: 37:33

Side A - 19:41
"Top, Top" (Arnaldo Baptista, Rita Lee, Sérgio Dias, Liminha) - 2:28¹
2. "Jardim Elétrico" (Baptista, Lee, Dias) - 3:14¹
3. "Lady, Lady" (Baptista, Lee, Dias, Liminha) - 3:33¹
4. "Mande um Abraço pra Velha" (Baptista, Lee, Dias, Arnolpho Lima) - 7:42²
5. "Suicida" (Raphael Vilardi, Tobé) - 2:44²

Side B - 17:52
"Benvinda" (Baptista, Lee, Dias) - 2:47¹
7. "Canção Para Inglês Ver/Chiquita Bacana" (Alberto Ribeiro, João De Barro, Lamartine Babo) - 2:22³
8. "It's Very Nice pra Xuxu" (Baptista, Lee, Dias) - 4:49¹
9. "Apocalipse" (Vilardi, Lee) - 4:19²
10. "The Rain, The Park And Other Things" (Artie Kornfeld, Steve Duboff) - 3:35³
[1] Os Mutantes - Jardim Elétrico [original album]
[2] "O'Seis - Suicida/Apocalipse"/"Os Mutantes & Fábio - Mande Um Abraço pra Velha/Corpo a Corpo"
[3] Rogério Duprat - A Banda Tropicalista de Duprat

Last edited:
I just made an album cover for the timeline, and I just loved it so much, so here's another part of the timeline.

Brief explanation: After the release of Jardim Elétrico, the band fulfilled their contract with Polydor and signed with EMI-Odeon, interested on the Brazilian effervescence, and releasing two albums, Hoje é o Primeiro Dia do Resto da Sua Vida and Os Mutantes e Seus Cometas no País dos Baurets. O A e o Z was recorded during troubled times, with Rita Lee being briefly kicked out of the band, but she returned after Arnaldo Baptista and Sérgio Dias realized the mistake that they were doing.

Os Mutantes - A e o Z (1973) 400px.png

OS MUTANTES - O A E O Z (1973)
Genre: Progressive rock, tropicália
Total: 45:27

Side A - 21:52
"A e o Z" (Rita Lee, Arnaldo Baptista, Sérgio Dias, Liminha, Dinho Leme) - 8:39¹
2. "Mamãe Natureza" (Rita Lee) - 3:42²
3. "Rolling Stone" (Sérgio Dias, Liminha) - 6:14¹
4. "Gente Fina é Outra Coisa" (Rita Lee) - 3:17³

Side B - 23:35
"Bad Trip (Ainda Bem)" (Rita Lee) - 4:09³
6. "Uma Pessoa Só" (Arnaldo Baptista, Sérgio Dias) - 7:31¹
7. "Ainda Vou Transar Com Você" (Rita Lee, Arnaldo Baptista, Sérgio Dias, Liminha, Dinho Leme) - 7:14¹
8. "Paixão Da Minha Existência Atribulada" (Rita Lee, Arnaldo Baptista, Sérgio Dias) - 4:41³
[1] Os Mutantes - O A e o Z (1992) [the album was recorded in 1973, but remained unreleased]
[2] Rita Lee & Tutti Frutti - Atrás do Porto Tem uma Cidade (1974)
[3] As Cilibrinas do Éden (1973) [Rita's first effort after being kicked out of Os Mutantes, before forming Tutti Frutti]

Last edited:
CAN_avatar_250x250_400x400.png

Can (Self-titled), Released November 1972
Genre: Krautrock, Experimental Rock
Total: 1:07:34

Side 1
1 Pinch 9:29
2 Messer, Scissors, Fork & Light 8:23 *

Side 2
1 One More Night 5:35
2 Sing Swan Song 4:47
3 Spoon 3:04

Side 3
1 Bubble Rap 9:23 *
2 Vitamin C 3:32
3 Soup 5:25 (Edited from OTL's version, with hard ending)

Side 4
1 I'm So Green 3:05
2 A Swan is Born 3:00 *
3 Dead Pigeon Suite 11:46 *

All tracks written by Czukay, Karoli, Liebezeit, Schmidt, Suzuki.

Following up the double-album Tago Mago with another double album.. this time, instead of issuing a nearly impenetrable 2nd disc, Can decide to thread pop tunes (or at least their version of pop tunes) in between long instrumental workouts throughout the whole album.

This album features another innovation for Can too - taking their queue from the likes of Pink Floyd & the Beatles, they put re-occuring themes in the album by using early takes & similar jammed sections as "reprises" of songs earlier in the album (eg Sing Swan Song reappearing as A Swan is Born, the "You're losing your Vitamin C!" line reappearing in Dead Pigeon Suite, and Spoon as a edited distillation of themes in Messer Scissors Fork & Light).

Songs from OTL's 'Ege Bamyasi' (1972)
Except * from 'Can - The Lost Tapes' (2012)

Basically the following is based on a mixture of songs from albums based on what was supposed to be ABBA's 1982 album (known to some as Opus 10).

ABBA - Under Attack (1982):

Side One:

1. Under Attack (3:49)*
  2. You Owe Me One (3:31)*
  3. Every Good Man (2:14)
  4. I Am the City (4:05)*
  5. Cassandra (4:54)*
  6. Put On Your White Sombrero (4:32)
Side Two:
  1. The Day Before You Came (5:51)*
  2. Givin' A Little Bit More (4:30)
  3. Just Like That (4:44)
  4. Opus 10 (3:31)
  5. When the Waves Roll Out to Sea (3:22)
All songs by Andersson/Ulvaeus

* = can be found via deluxe versions of The Visitors or the Singles: The First Ten Years
The others can be found via bootleg recordings or complied on What If album sites.

Last edited:
Vignette: Syd Barrett and Stars
About the timeline: Using some butterfly shenanigans, this is a short timeline about Syd Barrett's only post-Pink Floyd group, Stars, formed with Twink (former drummer of Pretty Things, Tomorrow, and Pink Fairies), and Jack Monck.

P.O.D./Short story:
In February 1969, giving a break of his solo project, Syd Barrett moved back to Cambridge with his girlfriend. By her, he met the then-Pretty Things drummer John Alder, known as Twink, and Delivery's bass player, Jack Monck.

"It was initially Jenny's suggestion to us about form a band with Syd. She was along with us, and we went round to Syd's house and knocked on his door. We started rehearsing in Syd's basement in his house the next day, took all my drums round there and just started jamming. Eventually we needed a bigger rehearsal place so we started rehearsing in my room in Cambridge, and we were knocking some of Syd's songs, and some of mine, into shape."
- "Twink/Bevis Interview Ptolomaic Terrascope", 1989.
"We've played in local venues, not as much as we wanted, soon we went back to London to play in bigger venues. My manager, Peter Jenner, liked the idea of our supergroup and put us to play at the Hyde Park in 1969. We've played sort of our new set, and some of Pink Floyd old material. Twink and I wanted to do an album while Jack wasn't so compromised to do this so he left us. Twink called up Steve [Peregrin Took] and we were reformed, ready to record our songs."
- Syd Barrett, NME, 1992.

Stars signed with Polydor Records, and entered the De Lane Lea Studios to record their debut album.

LEAN OUT YOUR WINDOW

Stars - Lean Out Your Window (1970) 400px.png

STARS - LEAN OUT YOUR WINDOW (1970)
Genre: Psychedelic rock
Total: 42:09

Side A - 20:05
"Golden Hair" (Syd Barrett, James Joyce) - 1:33¹
2. "Dawn of Majic" (John 'Twink' Alder) - 1:44
3. "The Coming of the One" (Barrett, Twink) - 3:39
4. "Amanda" (Steve Peregrin Took) - 3:11
5. "Three Little Piggies" (Took, Twink) - 3:12
6. "Clowns and Jugglers" (Barrett) - 3:47
7. "Strange Sister" (Took) - 2:59

Side B - 22:04
"I Caught You" (Took) - 2:57
9. "No Man's Land" (Barrett) - 3:03
10. "Milky Way" (Barrett) - 3:07
11. "Tiptoe On The Highest Hill" (Twink) - 5:18
12. "Ten Thousand Words In A Cardboard Box" (Twink, John 'Junior' Wood) - 4:29
13. "Late Night" (Barrett) - 3:10
Notes:
[1] Golden Hair - Take 5

Source:
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Twink - Think Pink
Steve Peregrin Took's Shagrat - Lone Star

Produced by Mick Farren, Stars' debut album attracted curious looks about the new venture of former Pink Floyd frontman. Clowns and Jugglers was the only single of the album, and the album made little success outside the United Kingdom and France. To Marc Bolan's initial misfortune, Stars toured with his Tyrannosaurus Rex, which included Mickey Finn. Although, during the tour, Marc Bolan and Steve Peregrin Took apologized.

"It was great to see everyone who I saw play back in the UFO years helping us to record Lean Out Your Window. I had certainly good times when we were recording.", Syd Barrett. Syd's behavior was getting better together with Twink and Steve. "Twink and I still used to smoke week in the early times of the band, but outside Syd's range of view. We've stopped to do that frequently... in 1970, I think?", Steve Peregrin Took, 1978.

In 1970, the band backed Mick Farren in his studio album, Mona - The Carnivorous Circus, and also backed him in his concerts throughout the United Kingdom. In the same year, the band hired producer Tony Visconti and at the Mayfair Studios, the band recorded Beautiful Deceiver in a week. "Syd wrote three songs, Took and I wrote The Sparrow is a Sign, and we've written other songs solely. But we've started to jamming together and we did some kind of free-jazz song which Barrett called Rhamadan.", Twink. In the same year, Syd Barrett seen his former band produce the successful Atom Heart Mother. Stars opened a gig for Pink Floyd in London.

BEAUTIFUL DECEIVER

Stars - Beautiful Deceiver (1971) 400px.png

STARS - BEAUTIFUL DECEIVER (1971)
Genre: Experimental rock, psychedelic folk, free jazz
Total: 43:51

Side A - 23:42
"Mexican Grass War" (John 'Twink' Alder) - 5:28
2. "Baby Lemonade" (Syd Barrett) - 4:10
3. "Rats" (Barrett) - 3:00
4. "The Sparrow Is a Sign" (Twink, Took) - 2:22
5. "Dominoes" (Barrett) - 4:09
6. "Beautiful Deceiver" (Took) - 4:33

Side B - 20:09
"Rhamadan" (Barrett, Twink, Took) - 20:09
Source:
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs [bonus track]
Syd Barrett - Barrett
Twink - Think Pink

Beautiful Deceiver had good reviews and initially would be the last album of Syd Barrett, who briefly left the group moving back to Cambridge. One month later, Syd calls Twink to return with Stars. In 1971, the band started to tour, and played at the Glastonbury Festival. In 1972, the band was invited by Tony Visconti [asked by David Bowie] to be the opening act during Ziggy Stardust tour. "Opening act? I was the closing act for them! Every gig with them I was becoming even more entranced by their sound.", David Bowie. During the time, they met Lou Reed and Iggy Pop. Later, Steve was involved in Iggy's projects.

In sort of jammings, the first tour of Stars was the filled with 10 to 20 minute jams of songs, with medleys and potpourris. The experimental turn of the band was very appreciated and compared with Pink Floyd takes on Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle, as Hawkwind's live show, Space Ritual, and Grateful Dead tours. "We were aware of all the comparisons, although we didn't like it, we had to let them come. It's the press, what do you want? But it was a great time, I learned new techniques during our World Tour, which helped me in my future tours and albums.", Syd Barrett.

In 1972, with the formation of Pink Fairies by close friends, the release of Never Never Land is considered an inspiration to compose their magnum opus, Uncle Harry's Last Freak Out. Along with Tony Visconti, Stars grouped at the Trident Studios recording the album nearly in one month and a half. One of the songs of Syd Barrett was written with Richard Wright during a free-time.
"Well, I was visiting Rick in France when Pink Floyd were recording... Obscured by Clouds, I think, and we both were alone and I was inspired to write something, and he ended up helping me...", Barrett.
UNCLE HARRY'S LAST FREAK OUT

Stars - Uncle Harry's Last Freak-Out (1972) 400px.png

STARS - UNCLE HARRY'S LAST FREAK OUT (1972)
Genre: Psychedelic rock, progressive rock, proto-punk
Total: 46:01

Side A - 24:28
"Thor" (John 'Twink' Alder) - 0:58
2. "Opel" (Syd Barrett) - 6:26
3. "Swan Lee (Silas Lang)" (Barrett) - 3:13
4. "Still Yawning, Still-Born" (Steve Peregrin Took) - 3:01
5. "Heavenly Man" (Twink) - 3:41
6. "Two of a Kind" (Barrett, Richard Wright) - 2:35
7. "War Girl" (Twink) - 4:34

Side B - 21:33
"Peppermint Flickstick" (Took) - 5:43
9. "Wolfpack" (Barrett) - 3:41
10. "Uncle Harry's Last Freak Out" (Barrett, Twink, Took) - 10:51
11. "The Dream Is Just Beginning" (Barrett, Twink) - 1:18
(Thanks to Loulou in help me with the tracklist!)
Source:
Syd Barrett - Opel
Syd Barrett - Barrett
Pink Fairies - Never Never Land

Uncle Harry's Last Freak Out was produced by Tony Visconti and was the most successful album of Stars, received with great appraise. Considered a proto-punk masterpiece, the album released the successful War Girl as single, then Still Yawning, Still-Born, and Wolfpack. In 1972, the band started their longest and most exhaustive tour to date, playing in Europe, United States and Japan. The album was considered highly influential for Sex Pistols' frontman Johnny Rotten.

Before the tour starts, the band hired Bruce Paine, former member of Bosstown Sound band Apple Pie Motherhood Band and singer in the counterculture musical Hair, as a lead singer. With Paine, the band wrote new songs which were played during the tour, two of them are present in the live album, Live Extracts: Six Hour Technicolor Dream. With Paine, for a short time, the supergroup became a four-set band.

"I remembered that after the tour we didn't want to talk about Stars for a while. When we returned to record our fourth album we've decided not to, and we preferred to disband the band for good. I went for a solo career before my retirement on painting, Twink joined Pink Fairies and Steve became close to Iggy Pop, and ended up joining The Stooges for a while. He even moved to Berlin during that Berlin period of Bowie and Iggy."
- Syd Barrett, NME, 1992.

LIVE EXTRACTS: SIX HOUR TECHNICOLOR DREAM

Stars - Six Hour Technicolor Dream [Live Extracts] (1973) 400px.png

STARS - LIVE EXTRACTS: SIX HOUR TECHNICOLOR DREAM (1972)
Genre: Jam band, progressive rock, proto-punk
Total: 47:06

Side A - 22:54
"Number Nine" (Syd Barrett, John 'Twink' Alder, Steve Peregrin Took) - 10:23
2. "Gotta Be a Reason" (Barrett, Twink, Took, Bruce Paine) - 7:19
3. "Let's Roll" (Barrett, Twink, Took, Paine) - 5:12

Side B - 24:12
"Boo! I Said Freeze" (Took) - 4:16
5. "Uncle Harry's Last Freak Out" (Barrett, Twink, Took) - 19:56
Source:
The Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band - Six Hour Technicolor Dream
Pink Fairies - Finland Freakout 1971 [BOOTLEG]

Mixed and produced by Syd Barrett himself, the live compilation Six Hour Technicolor Dream was the fourth and final album of Stars. Received with a positive appraise by their fans, the album, along with bootlegs, shows the experience of Stars' concerts with loaded jams, and is the only album featuring the lead singer Bruce Paine as a member.

The End

After Stars' disbandment, the group reunited four times, the first in a reunion tour in the 80's, then in the 90's, the Live 8 in the 2000's, and a final concert in 2011. Syd Barrett, then-married with Jenny Spires, proceeded with his solo career with The Madcap Laughs, Maisie and Syd Barrett, before his reclusion to take care of his first child, and his final album, Love Songs, before he could retire from the music to dedicate fully to painting and social activism. He still toured, such as in 1985 playing at the Live Aid, collaborating with David Bowie in late 80's, and producing an album after nearly 30 years, Collapsed.

After the end of Stars, Twink joined as a touring member the Pink Fairies before he become an official member. His music career had some activity in determined periods, such as in the late 70's by releasing Do It '77 with The Fairies, and starting in the 90's his solo career with Magic Eye and Mr. Rainbow. His most recent album, Think Pink II, was widely appreciated by the critics. Steve Peregrin Took worked mostly as a session musician, and joined Iggy Pop in The Stooges, and reunited with Marc Bolan in the mid-70's. He moved along with David Bowie and Iggy Pop to West Berlin. He didn't release any solo record, and died in 2015 during his sleep. Bruce Paine invested in his successful career in musicals, such as in Broadway.

oQHgr2g.png
xcMb4Il.png

Though the Velvet Underground spent 1969 touring, they made periodic stops at The Record Plant to record some of the new songs they had developed on the road. These recordings likely would have made up their fourth album, had MGM not dumped them and kept ownership of the tapes; moreover, by the time they signed to Atlantic, their musical direction had shifted and they opted to record a brand-new batch of songs instead. The Plant sessions would be shelved until 1985, when they (along with some earlier outtakes) were rediscovered, brushed off, touched up and put out as VU and Another View.

These two compilations have been a source of fascination and frustration ever since their release: fascination, because it gives a look at "the lost fourth album"; frustration, because that fabled album is split across two records and with unrelated sessions thrown into the mix. Thus, it's been a popular past-time for Velvets fans to put together their own version of the so-called lost album, using tracks from both compilations. This is my own take on such an endeavour— but, since this is an alternate history site, I've given it a bit of a spin. Instead of being built around what was recorded, this is built around what could have been recorded (based on what the band had written and was performing at the time) had things gone differently.

So, the POD: The Velvets aren't prematurely dropped by MGM. Maybe new CEO Mike Curb (who purged the MGM catalogue of underperforming acts, including the Velvets) is brought on a bit later, and/or the Velvets are given a reprieve and allowed to fulfill their contract (since it was almost complete anyway— this would have been the second album in a two-album deal). Whatever the case, this means that the Velvets continue their periodic recording sessions— specifically, that they return to the studio through November and December to record several songs they had been debuting and testing live: "Only You", "New Age" and "Sweet Jane".

At this point the band believes they have more than enough material to work with (17 songs total), and were beginning to figure out what they wanted to do with their next album— make it sound like their live shows: energetic and rollicking rock-and-roll, with a bit of an eye to a more 'accessible' and 'catchy' sound. The completed album is named Good Times with The Velvet Underground, in reference to the lead single "We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together" (itself a wry, sardonic joke about being 'more accessible').

Good Times… was a relative hit for the band— peaking at 157 on the Top 200— but nowhere near successful to avoid MGM's washing their hands of them. "Sweet Jane" and "Rock and Roll" would later become minor radio hits in the mid-late 70s, when they became staples of Lou Reed's solo performances.

I'd lile to see someone try and do a Buggles thing, or some other one-hit winder OTL who'd be absolutely massive in another timeline. Am I being weird?

Last edited:
A little background on this album, in 1959 while stationed in Germany and during his off time he went into a local bar and saw a group of young men playing some music and love their sound so when they were finished he went over to them and was meet with them fanboying out once they saw him. Elvis befriended the group and had a jam with them, which he would record then he sent them to RCA for them to listen. Eventually he was discharged and invited the group (now known as The Beatles) to his mansion in Memphis where they would jam out more, they would eventually be signed by RCA and they would play with their idol on their debut album.

9A3kY3s.png

ELVIS AND RCA PROUDLY PRESENT THE BEATLES
(1960)

song title lead vocals writer (if one of the beatles)

Side A
1. I Wanna Hold Your Hand (Elvis, Lennon, and McCartney) (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Fever (Elvis)
3. I Will Be Home Again (Elvis with backing vocals by McCartney and Lennon)
4. Dirty Dirty Feeling (Elvis with backing vocals by The Beatles)
5. Thrill Of Your Love (Elvis)
6. Solider Boy (Elvis with backing vocals by The Beatles)

Side B
1. I Wanna Be Your Man (Elvis and Starr) (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Such A Night (Elvis with backing vocals by The Beatles)
3. Hold Me Tight (Elvis and McCartney) (Lennon/McCartney)
4. Girl Next Door Went A-Walking (Elvis with backing vocals by The Beatles)
5. The Girl Of My Best Friend (Elvis with backing vocals by The Beatles)
6. Reconsider Baby (Elvis and Lennon)

Following their debut in the music scene, The Beatles would make their film debut as cameo roles in Elvis' film G.I. Blues. Following the release of the soundtrack and His Hand In Mine, they and Elvis would work on their second album together.
QQffnRU.png

ELVIS AND THE BEATLES' SECOND ALBUM
(1961)

song title lead vocals writer (if one of the beatles: Also if the beatles aren't mentioned as doing the background vocals or singing, they're doing the instrumental)

Side A

1. She's Not You (Elvis with background vocals by The Beatles)
2. Thank You Girl (Elvis and Lennon) (Lennon/McCartney)
3. Suspicion (Elvis with background vocals by The Beatles)
4. I Call Your Name (Elvis and Lennon) (Lennon/McCartney)
5. Kiss Me Quick (Elvis with background vocals by The Beatles)
6. Stepping Out Of Line (Elvis and The Beatles)

Side B
1. She Loves You (Elvis, Lennon, and McCartney) (Lennon/McCartney)
2. Night Rider (Elvis)
3. Roll Over Beethoven (Elvis and McCartney)
4. That's Someone You'll Never Forget (Elvis with background vocals by The Beatles)
5. I'll Get You (Elvis with Paul McCartney) (Lennon/McCartney)
6. Gonna Get Back Home Somehow (Elvis)

This album would outsell their first album and would follow up with The Beatles and Elvis touring the US.

Last edited: