Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

If Bush does gets assassinated by Sara Jane Moore, I wouldn't be surprised if some people honestly start taking those ITTL conspiracy theories that Reagan had a hand in Romney's death seriously. I mean, to conspiracy theorists, first Reagan suddenly gets sick and doesn't show up in Milwaukee, leading to Romney getting assassinated after that last minute schedule change in Milwaukee, and now possibly Bush gets killed and Reagan becomes president. I'm not normally a believer in conspiracies myself, but if I lived in this timeline in that situation, I think even I would be looking at Reagan with a bit more scrutiny and start wondering if those conspiracies might have some truth to them.

That said if Bush does get killed by Moore, your going to end up probably seeing a massive reform of the Secret Service ITTL happening. I mean, first JFK almost gets killed, then Romney is killed, and now possibly Bush, and it'd be worse here ITTL, because it'd be two successful assassinations in a row.

At least Reagan here is better than his OTL counterpart, so he might be somewhat of a better president. Cheney is screwed if Reagan becomes president though...

Hopefully Bush isn't killed here by Moore though.

Last edited:
Im begging to fear another change in the White House is coming.
Oh, God, something's gonna happen to Bush, isn't it?
Oh dear...
Hopefully Bush isn't killed here by Moore though.
I'll be honest.....I think this is too obvious....
I think he's not only doing a fake-out, I think he's "pulling Joss Whedon".
A number of people have mentioned not liking Reagan for one reason or another....
I think he's "redeeming the character" and then killing (or at least seriously wounding) him.
I think Reagan's going to be the one that Moore targets (maybe his OTL luck will hold out and she'll fail to kill him).

On the one hand, I'm happy about the CIA (about time they were restrained! They were becoming too much like Starfleet's Section 31) and New York. On the other hand, I'm worried about this new possible terrorist. People like Sara Jane Moore are way more dangerous than those like Terry Robbins, IMO.

This Reagan's certainly better IOTL. Having him focus his energies on fighting corruption and state opacity and realizing that the soc dems have a point should help him.

New York looks good.

The Weather Underground worries me.

Sorry for the late response. Awesome chapter. Loved Reagan and his commission. I also really liked how you touched on MK ULTRA and more on the CIA. Reagan is certainly shaping up to be a very influential Vice President and I mean that in a good way not like puppet master Cheney when he was VP. I credit you with making me like this version of Reagan compared to the one in OTL. I also really liked the Weather Underground. I don't know much about them except with what you've said about them. I also like how you brought back the ER movement too. Interesting to see who the Democrat candidates for President will be and if anyone will challenge Bush from the Republican Party.

Democrat candidates for President will be
Here is my guesses:

Johnsonians/New Dealers:

Scoop Jackson:made a splash last time and critically endorsed Johnson to win the nomination. I think he may see his succsess in 72 as encourgenment that he could indeed win the nomination in 76 and Scoop will no doubt to be encouraged to do this by his close confidant John Kerry and will recive the full weight of the AFL-CIO. Has a definite road to victory if he manages to secure the Working Class and take the south. Has a critical charisma deficit however and his hawkishness will make the Left and Liberal wing opposed.

Southerners:
Reubin Askew: a Southern Democrat who is firmly secure with Socially Conservative stances and Moderate economic stances I can see him taking the place of Jimmy Carter and sweeping the South. His main problem is that of appeal outside of the South, where the Northern new dealers, often Catholic card carrying Union Men who may distrust an evangelical Southerner, and will pull the lever for Jackson.

the Maverick:

Eugene Mccarthy: Appeals to both the left (for his devotion to Doveishness.) and the New Dealers (Firmly Anti Illegal Immigration and Pro Life Warrior), problem he has is juggling the two wings and his personality may upset the apple cart.

the Left:

Shirly Chisolm: Black woman who had a great campagin last time, her main appeal is Leftist college students, Black Voters and Women. However will face difficulty winning the hearts and minds of workers and will face opposition from Social conservatives for her Abortion stance and the ERA.

Thank you all for your kind words! :) This update was a long time coming and I had a lot of fun developing these story-lines and hearing what you had to say.

To answer some questions:

I'll be honest.....I think this is too obvious....
I think he's not only doing a fake-out, I think he's "pulling Joss Whedon".
A number of people have mentioned not liking Reagan for one reason or another....
I think he's "redeeming the character" and then killing (or at least seriously wounding) him.
I think Reagan's going to be the one that Moore targets (maybe his OTL luck will hold out and she'll fail to kill him).

The way this is structured, it looks like shes gonna go for one of the Democrats instead of Bush. Also if Bobby becomes president in 1980 (which he will), is Ed Koch gonna take his place?

These are some very interesting ideas... Keep these in mind as the next group of updates come down the pike.

As for Ed Koch and Bobby Kennedy's futures, my lips are firmly sealed. ;) Just because I have foreshadowed something in the timeline does not necessarily mean that it will come to pass.

I’d be very interested in seeing some interviews of Soviet soldiers from their war in Afghanistan ITTL.

Also for a future chapter that returns to Afghanistan might I suggest “Who Will Save The World” as a title?

Last edited:

PNWKing

Banned
Whatever came of the following celebrities ITTL?:
Jim Henson
Steve Jobs
Carly Simon
James Taylor
John Lennon

What is the status of Chrysler ITTL?

What is the status of AMC ITTL?

What are Bill Gates & Paul Allen doing ITTL?

What is the status of United Artists ITTL?

What is the status of Hershey ITTL?

Will any new TV networks be popping up ITTL?

Whatever came of the following celebrities ITTL?:
Jim Henson
Steve Jobs
Carly Simon
James Taylor
John Lennon

What is the status of Chrysler ITTL?

What is the status of AMC ITTL?

What are Bill Gates & Paul Allen doing ITTL?

What is the status of United Artists ITTL?

What is the status of Hershey ITTL?

Will any new TV networks be popping up ITTL?

Allow me to try and answer some of these questions for you! :)

Jim Henson is currently working on The Muppets Show in the United States after it was initially picked up by NBC back in 1970 ITTL. A movie is in the works, and Henson, Oz, and the rest of his puppeteer team are also being requested to do consulting work on big budget Hollywood pictures.

Steve Jobs (and Steve Wozniak) are both working as technicians at Atari after Wozniak impressed the company by creating his own version of their game, Pong, from scratch. Jobs undertook a personal pilgrimage of sorts to India as he did IOTL, and by 1975, he and Wozniak were working together on circuit boards for arcade machines for Atari. :)

Carly Simon and James Taylor are pretty much following their OTL trajectories of success in the pop music world, as well as being married to one another. They currently have a one and a half year old daughter together, named Sally.

As mentioned in previous posts, John Lennon is following something of an interesting path ITTL. The Beatles never broke up, and are currently undergoing something of an artistic transitional period. 1974 brought their first tour since 1966, and their 1973 album Power to the People showcased an acoustic, folk-inspired sound and an increasingly political message from the group. Due to his TTL marriage to Ursula Andress and friendship with Stanley Kubrick, Lennon is also something of an amateur actor, appearing in films and television shows whenever his schedule permits. Lennon played a minor role in Kubrick's 1971 film, A Clockwork Orange, and his first major supporting role as the Chevalier du Balibari, an itinerant gambler and possible Irish spy in 1975's Barry Lyndon. "The thinking man's Beatle" has also won acclaim for his books of poetry and notoriety for his outspoken political views, particularly his support for the UK Labour Party (particularly Tony Benn) and a united, nationalist Ireland. Lennon and Andress had their first child together, a daughter they named Molly in 1973.

hqdefault.jpg

Chrysler is suffering from similar challenges from the 1973 oil shock changing customers' demand toward smaller cars as well as increased competition from imports.

American Motors Corporation (AMC) is doing very well for themselves in TTL's 1970's, as former CEO George Romney's decision to focus their efforts on small, compact cars is paying massive dividends as AMC takes over market share from the "Big Three" car companies and the compact "Hornet" line becomes one of the iconic cars of the decade.

220px-1976_AMC_Hornet_Sportabout.jpg

I sent you a message pertaining to sports (albeit something looking towards the 1980s), Mr. President.

Thank you, @AndyWho! I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to get back to you on your ideas yet. School has been killing me lately and I hope to rectify this as soon as possible. :)

Not that anything can ever be guaranteed in AH, but dollars to donuts Reagan will get shot and get to show his grace under fire.

It's a possibility! Know that Moore could target someone totally different as well...