The Yugoslav and Ukrainian wars were pretty bad already for Europe post-Cold War. However, could it been possible for Europe after the Cold War been more violent? Realistically of course. The scenarios can have roots during the protest movements of the late-80s if needed (e.g. armed conflicts in Poland and Romania when anti-Soviet protests break down into chaos). And how does this impact the rest of history?

Events in Catalonia turns as Catalan Independence War.

And perhaps you can escalate Yugoslavian Civil War.

Events in Catalonia turns as Catalan Independence War.

And perhaps you can escalate Yugoslavian Civil War.

So basically a more recalcitrant fascist Spain raises hell.

About Yugoslavia, how else? IMO outside of an Albanian invasion of Kosovo I don’t see how else it could’ve gotten worse barring NATO intervention.

BigBlueBox

Banned
IMO, you not only need to screw the Eastern Bloc but you also need to screw the West. You need to make the West so weak that it would be unable to intervene in any conflict in the former Soviet sphere. With the West so weak, the Soviets/Russians could try to crack down on the secessionists. The Yugoslav wars could escalate into a confusing mess. Maybe Albania invades Kosovo leading to a Serb-Macedonian-Greek alliance to contain Albanian irredentism, in turn leading to a Greco-Turkish war that nobody in the West can stop.

Like Big Blue Box mentioned, a Soviet crackdown on Eastern European protests ca. 1989 that escalates into a half-continent-wide Hungary '56, with the armies of the subjugated WARPACT nations rebelling against their Soviet masters would be a decent one. There was a TL titled Crisis in the Kremlin to that effect.

A civil war in the USSR as a result of the 1991 August Coup gone bad, or even more likely a civil war in post-Soviet Russia after an even worse Black October '93 as seems to be occurring in Spiraling Out of Control would also be a pretty quick way to turn a large swath of Eastern Europe into bloody battleground

In My timeline-A Summers Day in 199 where the 1999 Kosovo War turns into a NATO-Russia confrontation is a possible one. Although I haven’t got very far with it yet so won’t say much.

Why did the August coup actually fail? I know it’s a question that’s probably been asked ad nauseam but I never quite understood the reasons.

I take it a post-coup civil war would eventually lead to NATO involvement?

IMO, you not only need to screw the Eastern Bloc but you also need to screw the West. You need to make the West so weak that it would be unable to intervene in any conflict in the former Soviet sphere. With the West so weak, the Soviets/Russians could try to crack down on the secessionists. The Yugoslav wars could escalate into a confusing mess. Maybe Albania invades Kosovo leading to a Serb-Macedonian-Greek alliance to contain Albanian irredentism, in turn leading to a Greco-Turkish war that nobody in the West can stop.

If the west was much weaker what would stop the downfall of the WP, and the USSR in the first place?

Then wouldn’t it create a less violent Europe through Soviet control?

Albania’s invasion of Kosovo or another Greco-Turkish war would also be plausible too.

Like Big Blue Box mentioned, a Soviet crackdown on Eastern European protests ca. 1989 that escalates into a half-continent-wide Hungary '56, with the armies of the subjugated WARPACT nations rebelling against their Soviet masters would be a decent one. There was a TL titled Crisis in the Kremlin to that effect.

A civil war in the USSR as a result of the 1991 August Coup gone bad, or even more likely a civil war in post-Soviet Russia after an even worse Black October '93 as seems to be occurring in Spiraling Out of Control would also be a pretty quick way to turn a large swath of Eastern Europe into bloody battleground

I could also imagine the Eastern bloc nations going to war with each other over various territories as well. Like Romania invading Moldavia or Bulgaria invading Macedonia.

Well we can have a war between Greece and Turkey due to Cyprus and the Aegean dispute and the Jugoslavian wars escalate to include Bulgaria, Albania and Hungary; a very nationalistic goverment in Romania can intervene in Moldavia and begin a conflict with Hungary regarding Transylvania.
Spain and Morocco dispute can go hot due to a miscalculation and Belgium can have a brief time of violent civil unrest that can bring his break up

Well we can have a war between Greece and Turkey due to Cyprus and the Aegean dispute and the Jugoslavian wars escalate to include Bulgaria, Albania and Hungary; a very nationalistic goverment in Romania can intervene in Moldavia and begin a conflict with Hungary regarding Transylvania.
Spain and Morocco dispute can go hot due to a miscalculation and Belgium can have a brief time of violent civil unrest that can bring his break up

Not sure about Belgium TBH. I would see Spain and Morocco go to war. Greece and Turkey as well. Having Bulgaria, Albania, and Hungary intervene would be interesting. And a Romanian invasion of Moldavia would require a more recalcitrant USSR.

Maybe a war between Poland, Ukraine and Belarus over territory stolen by the Soviet Union during World War II and then given to those countries when they were Soviet republics? A three-way war in the shambles of the USSR is bound to become a bloodbath very soon.

What kinds of territories would they go for? At most, we'd see Ukraine VS Moldavia & Romania, Hungary & Albania & Bulgaria VS Yugoslavia, and possible Romanian annexation of Moldavia and possible conflict in Transnistria.

Last edited:

BigBlueBox

Banned
I see a conflict happening between Poland VS Lithuania, Belarus and Ukraine over these territories. From Wikipedia.

It should be noted that in some cases after the war, Poland got some of it's territory from the Byelorussian Soviet Republic, but not all of it.
We could see one big gang bang of Ukraine with Poland marching in from the northwest, Hungary and maybe even Romania from the Southwest, and Russia from the east.

Coup works in Moscow, Soviets attempt an Hungry like crack down on the entire eastern block. That fails and when they pull out with see several civil wars along with the Soviet Union going though a civil war.

The worst civil war would be Yugloslavia.

Have Micheal Dukakis win in 1988. Iraq invades Kuwait in 1990. He fucks up the intervention dramatically, so an isolationist wins in 1992 and avoid European interventions