Flower O'Scotland

Chapter 65: Worries Of A Regent

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 65: Worries Of A Regent

June, 1555

Catherine blinked and fought hard to remain awake, sometimes she wondered why she had given herself over to this life and then she remembered what she was fighting for. She cleared her mind and focused. “How are negotiations going for the marriage?” She asked Anne, Duke of Montmercy one of the few people she trusted on the council.

“We have hit a problem, Majesty.” Anne said. “It seems King Ferdinand would prefer for his daughter Barbara to be the one married to our King, as he believes his daughter Joanna too young for such a marriage.”

“You explained to the Imperial ambassador that we would need have them consummate the marriage immediately?” Catherine asked.

“Yes, multiple times, his answer did not change.” Anne responded.

Catherine suppressed a groan. “Do you know if this man wants his daughter Joanna married to someone else?”

There was a moment of silence and then Anne said. “I have heard rumours that King Ferdinand is looking to marry his daughter Joanna to the Prince of Tuscany as part of the Habsburg alliance in Italy.”

“No doubt looking to win the Grand Duke over for some title or the other.” Catherine surmised. “Very well, what is the Emperor willing to offer for his niece, though she is older.” She had learned that the Duke of Rothesay had married some English girl and that the girl was pregnant now, perhaps she might just do that for her Francis.

“He is willing to offer a dowry worthy some 2 million livres, and a concession in regards to some border towns on the Rhine.” Anne said.

Catherine thought on that and then she realised she had heard this before, somewhere. Where she was not sure but she nodded all the same. “Very well, I shall consider this proposal some more, this meeting is dismissed for now.” With that she rose and walked out of the chamber, she made her way to her son’s chamber, the guards bowed before her and opened the door. She stepped in and her heart almost broke seeing her son like this. The bed dwarfed him and he looked so broken.

The fever had come from nowhere and was eating him alive now. “How is he?” She demanded of the doctor before her.

“Majesty,” the Doctor replied bowing. “Not well. The fever gets worse.”

“Is there nothing you can do?” Catherine demanded.

“Nothing but try and make His Majesty’s suffering less.” The Doctor replied.

Catherine sighed. “Where did this fever come from? It just sprung from nowhere.”

“Majesty, whilst I was conducting the most recent tests, I found traces of something, a substance I have never seen before, but which when I tested on another subject caused them to fall into a fever like this.” The Doctor said.

Catherine wanted to ask why the Doctor hadn’t said that immediately, but instead she asked. “Are you saying the King was poisoned?”

The Doctor swallowed and then nodded. “Yes, Your Majesty, I am.”

Chapter 66: Once Bitten

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 66: Once Bitten

October, 1555

“King Francis is dead, after spending a month and a half wandering through the plains of the living.” Luis said, he rarely spoke during meetings of the Privy Council but since returning from the war he had become more active. “His brother, Charles, has now ascended the throne and is a boy of eight. France remains under a regency.”

“What was it that killed Francis?” Mary asked. “We had heard he was a healthy boy.”

“It seems he fell ill and soon worsened.” Luis said looking at the letters before them. “Either way, the French are now trying to keep things going with the Habsburgs.”

Mary looked at her husband. “You have a way for countering this?”

“I think perhaps we should offer one of our daughters to the Spanish.” Luis said. “Not Catherine, she is your heir for now, but perhaps Maria?”

Mary thought on this and said. “Maria for the heir to the Prince of Asturias would make sense, and it would show the Emperor that we have not forgotten him.” She knew that there had been some murmuring from the Imperial side that in their desire to protect the English possessions on the continent they had forgotten all about Spain and their old alliance.

“I agree.” Luis said.

The Earl of Pembroke cleared his throat, and Mary gestured for him to speak. “With respect Your Majesties, I feel that perhaps it would be better to wait before considering a marriage for either one of the Princesses.”

“Why?” Mary demanded.

Pembroke shifted slightly and then said. “Until it is known whether Your Majesty’s pregnancy is a boy, perhaps it would be better to ensure that all possible alliances are kept to one side.”

Mary laughed. “You worry about a foreign husband for our daughters?” There was a shift and then she said. “We must use those we have available to us to bring alliances. We cannot just simply isolate ourselves.”

“I know, Your Majesty, which is why I suggest using another girl for this alliance.” Pembroke said.

“Who?” Mary asked.

“The Earl and Countess of Lennox have a daughter, she is of an appropriate age for a marriage proposal, though slightly older than the Prince of Asturias’ son, furthermore the Countess is a member of the blood royal and also is considered a member of the Royal Family through the Act of Parliament that was passed during the negotiations with Scotland.” Pembroke said.

Mary looked at Pembroke and then at Luis and asked. “Do you think the Spanish and the Emperor will accept such a reasoning?”

Luis shook his head. “The Spanish would never accept such a marriage. Even if the girl is considered part of the extended Royal Family.” Luis’s English had improved considerably during his time here, and she was proud of him she also deeply valued his insight here.

“Your Royal Highness, I must disagree. The Spanish will accept the girl if she is dowered as a Princess, something the treasury can afford, and presented as though she were.” Pembroke said. “The Spanish need an alliance here, with the French descending into chaos.”

“And I do not think they will accept this. Margaret Stewart is not descended from our Queen.” Luis said.

She could tell an argument was about to break out so she quickly said. “Gentlemen, please, we shall take this under consideration.”

Chapter 67: From One Emperor To Another

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 67: From One Emperor To Another

January, 1556

“I have always liked Brussels. There’s just so much energy and movement about this place. And there’s a calm which you just can’t get in Vienna.” Charles said. He could feel his bones growing weary, he was just happy that he had left instructions for Philippe on how to handle Spain. Now he just needed to speak with his brother. Ferdinand was before him. “Of course you do not much care do you? Why would you? Brussels and everything in Burgundy shall go to Philippe.”

Ferdinand said nothing. They had been close once upon a time, when they were younger, but their mother’s death had brought up old hurts, and now his brother was but a stranger to him. that pained him. Charles spoke again. “I wished to commend you on the success of Augsburg. It will bring peace to the Empire for many years.”

“Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty.” Ferdinand said.

Charles grimaced. “Please, Ferdinand, we are brothers, call me by my name.”

His brother looked at him and sighed. “Very well, Charles.”

Charles nodded, there had been times before, when he was a younger man when he had considered rescuing their mother from her hell, but he never had. And for that he would bear eternal shame. Still, that did not bear thinking about now, he had important things to discuss. “Philippe will get Spain and Burgundy, that much we have already agreed on. You shall get the Empire and our hereditary lands.” He saw his brother nod. “But before I died, I wished to speak to you about the marriage proposals being put forward.”

“Joanna would make the most sense for this new French King. They are of the same age.” Ferdinand said.

From the look on his brother’s face, Charles could tell the man had thought long and hard about it. “Are you sure? I know you have your reservations.”

“If it means keeping the French off our backs and ensuring we have the resources to tackle the Ottomans, I am all for it.” Ferdinand said.

Ah, yes, the Ottomans the great bane of his brother’s life. “Very well, I shall let them ambassador know.” He paused then and thought for a moment, then asked. “And how are things looking on that front?”

His brother grimaced. “They continue to support that idiot Zapolya and ensure that we cannot get peace there. But, they are also facing their own internal troubles. I believe the Sultan didn’t name a successor before he died, therefore his sons and brothers are fighting one another. This will give us an opportunity to flush out Zapolya for good.”

Charles smiled. “That is good, very good.”

“Indeed, we shall need serious reform though to hold onto any gains.” Ferdinand replied.

Charles nodded, but he was too tired to discuss such things, instead he asked. “The English have proposed a Lady Margaret Stewart, for Carlos, do you think such a marriage is acceptable?”

His brother snorted. “The girl is the daughter of a daughter of a Princess. She is not acceptable, but you knew that. So, why did you ask?”

“Because, it did not come directly from Queen Mary.” Charles said.

“Who did it come from then?” Ferdinand asked.

“The Earl of Pembroke sent the missive. He said he was acting on his Queen’s orders.” Charles said.

Ferdinand looked at him. “You do not believe him?”

“No. Maria, would never insult us so.” Charles said.

“So, will you mention this to her?” Ferdinand asked.

“No, I will not embarrass our cousin and make her deal with a situation which is already tense. I will politely ignore the request.” Charles said.

“And no doubt make an offer for Maria’s daughter’s hand for Carlos?” Ferdinand asked.

“Naturally.” Charles replied.

“The Earl and Countess of Lennox have a daughter, she is of an appropriate age for a marriage proposal, though slightly older than the Prince of Asturias’ son, furthermore the Countess is a member of the blood royal and also is considered a member of the Royal Family through the Act of Parliament that was passed during the negotiations with Scotland.” Pembroke said.

So one of Margaret Douglas' sons was born a girl?