The Invasion of Tosev III

In 1941, a Fleet entered the Solar System. A Conquest Fleet. Built in Tau Ceti II by a Reptilian species which called itself simply "The Race", this conquest fleet was sent to subdue a planet they designated Tosev-III. Ruled for tens of millennia by a conservative theocratic monarchy headed by a God Emperor, a probe had been sent to survey the planet eight hundred years beforehand and found a world of sword swinging savages. When the fleet's soldiers awoke from cryogenic suspension, they found their target world emitting radio crude radio transmissions. Soon after that they found industrial Empires (or in many cases, Non-Empires) locked in war. Upon realizing this Atvar, Fleetlord of the Conquest Fleet was presented with three courses of action: flee this world, bombard it with nuclear weapons (and thus spoil it for the colonization fleet already en-route) or attempt to conquer it. Fearing the Shame of failure, he ordered the invasion to commence.

As such on May 20th, 1942 world Jet powered Killercraft screamed across the sky laying waste to railways and Tosevite aircraft as well as securing the landing sites for the ships of the Conquest Fleet. Hundreds of these massive vehicles that had crossed the stars touched down around the world, unloading their payloads of Landcruisers, Troop Carriers, Artillery Pieces, attack helicopters, logistical and support vehicles and infantrymales. In regions that would be identified as "Polska", they secured swift victories against the forces of the "Deutsche" which had recently ceased control of the region. In no small part thanks to the fact that many local Polacy sided with The Race. Capture Deutsche soldiers were disarmed, processed and were employed primarilly as agricultural workers, helping to feed the forces of the Conquest Fleet and the local population. While local opinions on that part of Tosev III in regards to the Race would shift over the course of the war, few of the locals objected to this exploitation of prisoners of war. Especially when the Race showed the world the Deutsche's Killing Factories.

Last edited:

This fellow is an Officer of the [URL='https://www.deviantart.com/imperator-zor/art/The-Invasion-of-Tosev-III-791143649']Race's Conquest Fleet.
Recruited for the invasion as part of a militarization program known as a "Soldier's Time", those males which displayed aptitude at command and administration were designated officers and given the appropriate training. In general they were well trained and competent at their jobs, even if they suffered from the fact that nobody in the Conquest Fleet from the rank and file of their infantry forces to the Exalted Fleetlord himself had no first hand combat experience at all.

As a general rule the Race does not wear clothing in most situations. Their soldiers wear body armor while on duty, cold weather gear in winter conditions and spacesuits and radiation suits in hazardous environments, but as a general rule most males of the Race would wear a utility belt or harness for carrying items and nothing more. Body paint fills the same general role as clothing, with patterns indicating rank and role. This officer is working in an office enviroment heated to the temperatures reviewing information on his tablet computer.
[/URL]

Last edited:
Zor, this is quite superb! I hope that you'll be inspired to further illustrate "Tosev III" and the various factions fighting over it, then post the results here - one would, in fact, be very eager to see whatever other elements of Alternate History you might care to illustrate in future!

Thank You very kindly for posting your art to be appreciated and please Keep up the Good Work.:)

When The Race sent a probe to Tosev-III, one of it's functions was to evaluate the biota of it's ecosystem for (among other things) biochemical compatibility. As it turned out this would not be an issue, Tosevite Plants and Animals, including the domesticates and cultivars of the natives were fully edible by the Race. This was seen as a major boon to the Conquest and Colonization Fleets and one which would simplify logistics considerably by reducing the amount of hydroponic gardens, algae tanks, fish ponds and culture vats required. Food stores could be comfortably topped up with local fare, the colonists could eat foodstuffs prepared from native fare, livestock could graze on local vegetation and a few more items in time could be added to the Empire's menu. Needless to say, shortly after touching down the Soldiers of The Empire began sampling local meat and local produce. As expected, some of such local fare was found to be tasty, others were found to be adequate and some items did not appeal to the taste-buds of conquerors. But there was one item which was soon stumbled on which did have a rather unexpected effect: Ginger.

The common Tosevite herb was sampled casually at first, but soon it's effects were soon known. To Tosevites ginger was just one of many flavoring agents with some minor medicinal properties. To The Race it was a powerful narcotic. A taste of Ginger would induce a powerful high in which would cause the sampler to feel powerful, wise, fast and strong for a short period of time. After that came a crash which would leave them male in a bad funk feeling small, weak, slow and miserable and just itching for another taste to bring them back to that Ginger High for days after. The physical effects on males of the Race were fairly minimal, but the highs (which disrupted one's ability to think straight and assess situations) and crashes (which ruined morale and made the user more lethargic and sluggish of mind) disrupted the effectiveness of Race Troops. The same applied to Ginger Addicts who were forced to go without. In the high stress enviroment of facing a foe far more technologically advanced than they thought possible many males of the Race turned to Ginger to escape their plight. Many Tosevites profited from the Ginger Trade as well. Despite the Fleetlord's banning of the substance an illicit trade in the substance thrived in the ranks of the Conquest Fleet and Ginger would be a continuous problem on this world for decades to come.

Last edited:
I'm loving the drawings. Any change of seeing detail illustrations of the Race's weapons namely their rifle and their vehicles the Landcruiser, Killercraft, and Helicopters?

The Misc Worldwar thread over in Fandom AH would also get a kick out of this. I'd recommend crossposting there.

Superb work! That's exactly how I expect Lizards should look--down to the tail-stumps and cranial spines!

Interesting insignia you seem to have picked for the Conquest Fleet--is there a mentioned Race insignia in the books, or is that one of your own creation?

Superb work! That's exactly how I expect Lizards should look--down to the tail-stumps and cranial spines!

Interesting insignia you seem to have picked for the Conquest Fleet--is there a mentioned Race insignia in the books, or is that one of your own creation?
The only specific body paint layout is the Emperor's (Solid Gold) and his Guards' (Sold Grey). These are my contrivance.

The first two are for Infantry forces (one a grunt, the other the equivalent of a Lieutenant or Captain), the other two are something else. I'd say one of them is a Engineer of some sort and the other is a Medic.

Zor

Great job!
I see you imagined Race rifles as something like FN P-90, which is interesting. I think such conservative race would use more classic magazine construction.

And those spaceshis are "main" spacecraft in which Race traveled to Earth or smaller dropships?

Oh nice! It's always fun to see new pictures from Worldwar. It never really got the critical mass of popularity needed where more numerous artistic depictions were made.

Great job!
I see you imagined Race rifles as something like FN P-90, which is interesting. I think such conservative race would use more classic magazine construction.

And those spaceshis are "main" spacecraft in which Race traveled to Earth or smaller dropships?
The race is not above subtle refinements to make things better. I'd figure they'd see the advantage in a bullpup configuration in saving space and mass and then engineer the best darn bullpup they could.

Also the ships that touch down are described as Starships and being huge, as such I figure that these were the craft that made the interstellar journey.

Zor

If it helps, some of the covers shows off the Race's rifle:
51aLG4t0wQL.jpg

51AyOfji1UL.jpg

One little thing to consider is that the Race's limbs have their first half composed of two bones, and the second of one. This is the inverse of earth species.

If it helps, some of the covers shows off the Race's rifle:
51aLG4t0wQL.jpg

51AyOfji1UL.jpg
Long Story short cover art is typically something that an author does not get much input into. Don't put too much stock into them as being accurate representations of things in book.

Zor

Last edited:
Zor, may I please ask if you would be willing to share your thoughts on the body paint insignia of the Race? (Basically, what designs would you use for the various ranks and branches of the Conquest Fleet? Do you have any thoughts on possible colour schemes?).

I really like the designs you've shown us and would love to see more of them, as well as learn more about them.:)

Long Story short cover art is typically something that an author does not get much input into. Don't put too much stock into them as being accurate representations of things in book.

Zor

This. Especially true of the map provided on the inside cover of the later books, which is contradicted by the text itself.

Zor, may I please ask if you would be willing to share your thoughts on the body paint insignia of the Race? (Basically, what designs would you use for the various ranks and branches of the Conquest Fleet? Do you have any thoughts on possible colour schemes?).
I figure that designs for soldiers would be more focused on the arms, since Body Armor is one of the few instances in which males of the race would wear clothing on a regular basis. A soldier's rank would be made out by arm adornments alone.

Zor

I figure that designs for soldiers would be more focused on the arms, since Body Armor is one of the few instances in which males of the race would wear clothing on a regular basis. A soldier's rank would be made out by arm adornments alone.

Would staff officers be the exception to this rule, as they would not necessarily be required to wear body armour and might therefore be able to showcase bigger designs?

One of the big differences between Tosev-III and Home was temperature. Snow only occurred only on Home's polar regions and even then infrequently where as much of Tosev-III had regular snowfall in the winter months. This was accounted for during the planning of the Conquest of Tosev-III in various ways with landcruisers, vehicles, portable structures and similar being outfitted with heaters as well as garments for infantrymales of the Race for those occasions in which they would need to venture out onto snow covered terrain. Standard cold weather gear for Race Soldiers included a one size fits all baggy jacket and trousers and gloves and for both feet and hands. Chemical heating packs were also issued. Such garments where needless to say unpopular among Race soldiers who were used to going about naked on most occasions and found the garments both cumbersome and unfamiliar and often inadequate for long patrols. They also obscured Body Paint patterns, forcing them to make do with colored strips of cloth with patterns printed on them to do as rough aproximations. As time went on the forces of the Conquest Fleet supplemented it's stock of cold weather gear with Tosevite clothing, much to their annoyance.
Would staff officers be the exception to this rule, as they would not necessarily be required to wear body armour and might therefore be able to showcase bigger designs?
I'd assume so. Atvar would not wear a bullet proof vest in most circumstances.

Zor

One of the big differences between Tosev-III and Home was temperature. Snow only occurred only on Home's polar regions and even then infrequently where as much of Tosev-III had regular snowfall in the winter months. This was accounted for during the planning of the Conquest of Tosev-III in various ways with landcruisers, vehicles, portable structures and similar being outfitted with heaters as well as garments for infantrymales of the Race for those occasions in which they would need to venture out onto snow covered terrain. Standard cold weather gear for Race Soldiers included a one size fits all baggy jacket and trousers and gloves and for both feet and hands. Chemical heating packs were also issued. Such garments where needless to say unpopular among Race soldiers who were used to going about naked on most occasions and found the garments both cumbersome and unfamiliar and often inadequate for long patrols. They also obscured Body Paint patterns, forcing them to make do with colored strips of cloth with patterns printed on them to do as rough aproximations. As time went on the forces of the Conquest Fleet supplemented it's stock of cold weather gear with Tosevite clothing, much to their annoyance.

I'd assume so. Atvar would not wear a bullet proof vest in most circumstances.

Zor
He looks like he's wearing a modified German helmet.