Union of American Realms: A World-Building Exercise

Introduction
¡ ¡ ¡ Union of American Realms ¡ ¡ ¡
A Graphic World-Building Exercise

Welcome! This is the main thread for the UAR-verse. What is the UAR-verse? It is a concept that I have toyed with in my heads for years. It's undoubtedly influenced by dozens of other scenarios I have seen here on this website over the years, as well - and yet, its a thing all its own. It has no purpose, no great reasoning. It is, in essence, a world-building exercise built around an ASB concept with a more than flimsy approach to realism and the butterfly-net.

And what is this concept? At it's infancy, at it's very core, it is this: what if the English colonies settled on a system of government after the American Revolution more in line with the modern EU with one major component: each realm (equivalent to a state in the OTL US) is led by an executive who held office for life.

Since I began world-building around that concept, it has changed considerably as the years have passed. Even since opening this thread less than a year ago, the canon has changed considerably. But the world has become more organized, more concrete, and more rationale, even if the tilt towards narrative and fun is still in effect. Hope you enjoy! :)

divider.png

The confederal government is comprised of three components: (a) the Confederal Assembly, a unicameral legislature tasked with accepting international treaties and trade agreements passed by the Executive Council, along with settling intra-realm disputes and passing federal legislation - this body is led by the Minister-President of the Assembly; (b) the Executive Council, with every realm executive holding a seat, able to admit new realms and executing the limited federal executive functions - this body is led by the Governor-President of the Council, and; (c) the office of Monarch-President of the Union, a ceremonial office held by House Columbia, residing in Mount Vernon, R.D. - the Monarch-President holds nearly zero actual power outside of immense cultural currency.

The confederal government of the UAR is weak and rather decentralized, though the modern age has lent itself to centralization. Since the late 19th Century, the Confederal Assembly has gained influence and power, particularly as the rise of international commerce took hold in the 20th Century. Confederal Assembly members are elected every six years on an alternating basis, with the assembly members divided into two classes. The Executive Council similarly elects the Governor-President every six years. Each executive can also appoint one member to their realm's delegation to the Confederal Assembly.

The UAR is divided into various realms, with the Union Constitution mandating that every realm have an executive that reigns for life. Each realm is quasi-autonomous, occasionally getting into disputes amongst themselves and fostering different cultures over the decades. Some realms have strong executives-for-life, others have made the office a ceremonial one similar to that of the monarch.

divider.png

census_regions_of_the_union_of_american_realms_by_ozzysmapcorner_ddlme5l-pre.png

divider.png

Elections
Elections
Lordship Information
Misc.

Elections

Elections

Last edited:
I really like this concept! It's original, and I like the graphics thus far. My questions are is there a central economy, and why were many of the Thirteen Colonies, such as New York, partitioned.

The ASB background I had in mind involved a slightly different colonial set-up from OTL, such that Plymouth still exists, and Delmarva as well. The Iroquois also align with the colonists in TTL's Revolution, earning them a spot as one of the constituent realms. Aside from that, I'm still working out the concept. The pre-Constitution-of-the-Realms backstory is very much loose in my head and I am open to any and all suggestions!
Oh, so it's one of those TLs where slight things are changed well before things start becoming very divergent from OTL, right? My suggestion would be to have the different colonies he established closer to the American Revolution in order to prevent butterflies from making things too different. Otherwise, the early history of the UAR would be completely different from OTL's United States.

Oh, so it's one of those TLs where slight things are changed well before things start becoming very divergent from OTL, right? My suggestion would be to have the different colonies he established closer to the American Revolution in order to prevent butterflies from making things too different. Otherwise, the early history of the UAR would be completely different from OTL's United States.

Makes sense! I am also open to some things being sufficiently different, and I'm not opposed to collaboration on the backstory (or in general!).

Currently working on a list of realms as well so that there's a better picture of the situation I have in mind.

Does that mean each of the realms has its own military? If so, is there also a national military?

Most realms would have their own militia of some sort, and at times even engage in combative measures with each other; there is, however, a mutual defense pact inherent in the Constitution-of-the-Union, which I take it to mean in times of war, each realm must provide for the mutual defense of other realms. Not sure if there'd be a standing force yet, under the control of the small federal government.

What is the capital of the Union of American Realms

Haven't decided that yet. I was thinking perhaps a makeshift city emerges around Mount Vernon, where the ceremonial Monarch-Presidents reside -- however, I guess that depends on whether I want House Washington to be the fixed royal house, or if I want elections to occur whenever a Monarch-President dies...

Anyway, I am all ears to possible locations for the small, federal government!

Ooh, I really like this so far. Can we have the full names of the fifty realms, please?
Beyond that, I see a couple Native American realms, and am really curious as to how they are treated.

Why did Chicago take so long to join the Union? Was it a city that just declared its realmhood by then? Also, a couple realms don't have capitals.

Capital of Tecumseh would probably be Prophetstown if its history was the same as real life. Riviera would almost certainly be St. Louis. West Florida's capital was in Pensacola IRL. For Hudsonia, perhaps York Factory grows into some city or settlement named York.

All of these are good! I've incorporated them, save for Riviera - opting for Ste. Genevieve being selected as the capital, but St. Louis being the largest city.

I think naming the state in Southern Florida "The Keys" or "Conch Republic" both seem a bit unlikely, I guess; most states don't have a definite article attached to them, while the Conch Republic was a byproduct of the war on drugs, to my understanding.

I think naming the state in Southern Florida "The Keys" or "Conch Republic" both seem a bit unlikely, I guess; most states don't have a definite article attached to them, while the Conch Republic was a byproduct of the war on drugs, to my understanding.

Hmm, I may drop the Conch Republic part, was truly just an homage. But I’m struggling on calling it anything but the Keys, considering the only ppl that live in that area would be on the Keys themselves. None of the metropolitan areas of OTL South Florida fall within the continental territory it controls, except perhaps portions of Homestead, FL, itself one of the more remote regions of Miami-Dade County.

Any suggestions for names other than The Keys?