Return of Horrible Educational Maps

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MERCATOR PROJECTION

Well, yes, that too. Mercator projection itself already kinda qualifies as educationally bad, no matter how well all other map aspects might be.

Unrelated, according to reddit this was from a video about the Spanish Civil war:

badunsourced.jpg

The bad thing isn't that they simplified the map (although they might have gone a bit too far into oversimplification)

The bad thing is where they placed Malta (even the simple style can't attribute for that error)

badmalta2.jpg

Soviet postcard of 1952. Bulgaria borders Hungary, Greece seems to own all of Macedonia, Germany and Austria are united, etc.
LyVX3RV06FU.jpg
Honestly for what looks like freehand I'll give the mapmaker points. He made it look approximately real. And I think the Austro-German boundary is obscured by his glasses.

Given the map motifs this puzzle is meant for young children, so I might be willing to overlook the mistakes, however...

badnotasmuch3a.jpg

Making most nation borders the same color as the oceans is weird, especially when it withers down some isthmuses (for example the new Thailand-Malaysia strait) and they still do some borders as regular black lines.
Add to that that some rivers are also depicted the same way as the borders and the confusion is complete.

Also the map maker had obviously surrendered before the Uzbeki-Tajiki-Kyrgyzstan border gore.

Given the map motifs this puzzle is meant for young children, so I might be willing to overlook the mistakes, however...

View attachment 454866

Making most nation borders the same color as the oceans is weird, especially when it withers down some isthmuses (for example the new Thailand-Malaysia strait) and they still do some borders as regular black lines.
Add to that that some rivers are also depicted the same way as the borders and the confusion is complete.

Also the map maker had obviously surrendered before the Uzbeki-Tajiki-Kyrgyzstan border gore.
Nice triple partition of Sudan there. :p

Where is the Ukraine, Lesotho and Armenia?

Why is Alaska and Eastern Thrace independent?

After reading your post I noticed that the Ukraine is labeled on that map... albeit that label is over Romania. They are somewhat random in what nations do get labeled anyways.

Eastern Thrace might be the same color as Anatolian Turkey and the difference only an artifact due to the jpeg-ness of the map. As for Alaska I guess the map maker probably thought it was a separate country since it got labeled after all.
Provided the map maker did actually do some thinking at all when they cooked up that map.

Crazy Boris

Banned

View attachment 454866

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY FUNJ REPUBLIC OF EAST SUDAN!

1990s kids would know that Ukraine was the last SSR to secede from the USSR, and know that the entire island of Papua is not only controlled by Papua New Guinea, but also joined the continental drift with Australia to try to get to Antarctica.

And remember that time Ireland had Ulster? Good times. And while we are here, we may as well recollect the time when Ethiopia had rightful clay in the Tahamh, Azal, and Sheba regions.