Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
I guess the tricky part would be on how to portray the Freedom Party in a comical light then huh.
Divide portrayal of Freedomites between the comically serious true Freedom believers and the more regularly goofy embodiments of every southern stereotype? Think ‘Allo ‘Allo but with confederates instead of Germans.

On that note, tl-191 ‘Allo ‘Allo would be an odd beast

Divide portrayal of Freedomites between the comically serious true Freedom believers and the more regularly goofy embodiments of every southern stereotype? Think ‘Allo ‘Allo but with confederates instead of Germans.

On that note, tl-191 ‘Allo ‘Allo would be an odd beast

What's 'Allo 'Allo?

What would happen to 1960s military sitcoms in this world? I'm talking about shows like Hogan's Heroes and MASH. Would they exist in this world with some differences in characters and settings?

Oh, that's a good point. You know I hate to say it, but I think M.A.S.H. is almost butterflied away in this timeline. Given the themes and setting of MASH, that would be my opinion - it was very much a product of its time and although a great piece of media and entertainment in our world, I can't see how a show like MASH could exist in TL-191, at least in the way we know it to be --- its a show that takes place during the Korean War and was produced in the 70s around the tail-end of the Vietnam War. It would have to be a completely different show to take place in TL-191, with different tropes, characters, themes, the works. Heck, it might even be about a post-Second Great War conflict the US gets involved in, making it a more relevant show to the conflicts going on after 1944, not the Second Great War itself. Just about the only thing that would probably remain would be the title though. That's just my opinion of course.

A show like Hogan's Heroes, however, might be able to exist in TL-191. I say this because of the setting and you'd be able to portray the Second Great War in that show. I wouldn't go as far as to put the show in Andersonville though, I'd probably place the show in a fictional prison camp. And the writers would really have to work their butts off to make a script and show with enough humor to appeal a hardened American audience like in TL-191. It can work, but you'd really have to think how you make it funny, you know?

@Joshua Ben Ari gave out some thoughts on this...

I think that MASH is more likely but put more as a black humor kind of thing. I think Americans would have that kind of attitude in the aftermath of the SGW, while Hogan's Heroes is more... well, focused.

This song I think could actually be an good Post-Great War 2 song.

Deleted member 82792

What would a movie like Die Hard be like ITTL? I have this idea it could be a German production, with the hero being a German police officer at his wife's Christmas party and the villain being a Southerner/Confederate.

What do you guys think?

this was just posted in the Sci-Fi Pictures Thread. this probably matches up decently well with the "reverse Star Wars" idea from earlier where the Empire, as an ersatz Union, are the good guys. it even has the non-face-concealing helmet that i mentioned in my own post on the topic.

2d88aa17f78f2887ce8e9e9b265e584f.jpg

Released in 2008 on the Playbox, Fallout 3, the sequel to the original fallout and Fallout 2, was one of the most highly acclaimed games of the early 2000s.
The game, set in post war Pittsburgh, follows the adventures of the player character known as the last vault dweller (after all the others died due to meltdown in the shelters reactor) as he traverses the land. The main storyline differed depending on the faction the player chooses: side with the dictatorial enclave, or the steel legion (the remnants of the us military).

The series takes place in a post apocalyptic world after a nuclear war between the United States and the Empire of Japan.

What would Disney be like if it existed?
probably no Song of the South for one. i'd go into exhaustive detail, but i haven't quite woken up yet and my coffee is still a little to hot to drink just yet. i'll get back to you later.

*stumbles into a few walls on his way out*

The first and only Confederate cartoon short of Tom Turkey, an anthropomorphic wild turkey, that was made by Tex Avery et al. and voiced by the legendary Melvin Jerome Blank in 1940. Mr. Blank would often voice both American and Confederate characters in animation. The popularity of Tom Turkey was short-lived due to the Second Great War and the dissolution of the Confederacy.

"America" is a song written and performed by the Factory Iron* band, Imperial Eagle. The music video shows the entire history of the United States within North America compressed in less than 10 minutes. While the band has never been immune to controversy, this song caused a lot of outrage when it was released. Even the U.S. government was initially involved to bring the band up with felonious censorship charges, due to the use of Confederate Freedom imagery.

One of Imperial Eagle's "least offensive" songs was "Germany", which was a satire of German culture that is dominant in Europe and in some parts of Africa and Asia.

*Factory Iron=Industrial Metal in TL-191

What would Disney be like if it existed?
probably no Song of the South for one. i'd go into exhaustive detail, but i haven't quite woken up yet and my coffee is still a little to hot to drink just yet. i'll get back to you later.

*stumbles into a few walls on his way out*
Disney is something...as he Union, he might work later on wartime cartoon and others for moral and relief...dunno if as sucessful.

The first and only Confederate cartoon short of Tom Turkey, an anthropomorphic wild turkey, that was made by Tex Avery et al. and voiced by the legendary Melvin Jerome Blank in 1940. Mr. Blank would often voice both American and Confederate characters in animation. The popularity of Tom Turkey was short-lived due to the Second Great War and the dissolution of the Confederacy.
That was a good one, as Avery and other were texans they're just there to work(and that infamous Bugs Bunny cartoon could work as another dixie wartime one)

20th-century American writer of horror and weird fiction, Lovecraft would create the 'Cthulhu Mythos' works, of cosmic horrors and forbidden knowledge that drive men mad. Following the Second Great War, Lovecraft's work turn an shape turn, himself horrify by it all. His works in the later half of the 1940s and 50s would be base around human self destruction and threat of atomic destruction, the meaningless of war and the sacrifice of men.

H._P._Lovecraft%2C_June_1934.jpg

Pulp fiction writer, Robert Howard would coined 'sword and sorcery' after writing boxer and Celtic works. The keystone of his works would be the Hyborian Age and Hyborian Age, an vanished age and an respected warrior who battles skulking monsters, evil wizards, tavern wenches, and rescues beautiful princesses, among other heroic feats of his chivalry.

Cross Plains being of little note and Brownwood suffered minor damage, Howard works would find popularity in the Post-War World

Lovecaft and Howard would become close friends despite the bitterness of North and South, and show in famed joint works.

Robert_E_Howard_suit.jpg