How should the States of the Union work?

• Canton System

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • American System

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Opening & Governor-Kings of the United States
Section Header.png

THE UNWILLING KING
-

Yet Another Monarchist America TL
-
democratic_facto_wikipage.png

-
Hello everyone! Been awhile since I last made a timeline, so I guess consider this a general Q&A post before I formally begin this timeline!
I was going to make a timeline called E Uni Plures (Out of One, Many), but I kinda got burnt out from it and haven't touched it since February or so. I might one day do something with it, but its kinda doubtful I will. This timeline, on the other hand, is one I came up with somewhat recently, which I have a fair amount of ideas for (just not a lot of content yet). There will hopefully be maps for this mad lad, but in truth I really was experimenting with Wikipedia to get this stuff. So, expect some more emphasis on Wikpedia and Infoboxes, as opposed to my bread-and-butter of mapmaking.
I don't have a world map finished yet, but I do have ideas as to what it may look like.
If anyone wants to help contribute to this timeline, please feel free! I do have say over this kinda stuff, but I'll be pretty lenient.
I hope you enjoy reading as more content is made, and have a good day!
-Bennett

Map of the 37 States of the Union
democraticfacto usamap.png

Alabama (AL)
Arkansaw (AR)
Connecticut (CT)
Delaware (DE)
Estacado (ES)
Florida (FL)
Georgia (GA)
Idaho (ID)
Illinois (IL)
Indiana (IN)
Kansas (KS)
Kentucky (KY)
Louisiana (LA)
Maine (ME)
Maryland (MD)
Massachusetts (MA)
Michigan (MI)
Mississippi (MS)
Missouri (MO)
Nebraska (NE)
Nevada (NV)
New Hampshire (NH)
New Jersey (NJ)
New Mexico (NM)
New York (NY)
North Carolina (NC)
Ohio (OH)
Oklahoma (OK)
Oregon (OR)
Pennsylvania (PA)
Rhode Island (RI)
South Carolina (SC)
Tacoma (TC)
Tennessee (TN)
Utah (UT)
Vermont (VT)
Virginia (VA)

Last edited:
The Republican Party
The Republican Party (French: Parti républicain; Gullah and Freedonian English: 'Publikin paa'ty) is one of the two major political parties in the United States; the other is its historic rival, the Federalist Party.

The Republican Party was founded in 1792 by Thomas Jefferson, and housed prominent politician James Monroe (responsible for drafting the so-called Monrovian Principles), among others. At its founding, the Republican Party found itself opposed to the Hamiltonian System, and particularly opposed to the de facto monarchist system of Governor-Kings, fearing that such a system would destroy the democratic basis of the foundation of the United States. Additionally, the party saw itself as the champion of the rights of yeoman farmers, and believed said people to be the paradigm of the American citizen. Because of these beliefs, it saw itself at odds with the Federalist Party.

Over the decades of the party's existence, and indeed the existence of the United States, the Republican Party began to deradicalize, and its belief systems began to evolve. Over the course of the 19th century, the Republican Party began to evolve from the so-called "Farmer's Party" to a party that saw itself as the defender of the lower class, comprised of both farmers and workers due to the increase of industrialization throughout the United States. Due to this, the party began to adopt more leftist economic policies and beliefs, with the eventual evolution of the party becoming increasingly socially liberal, leading to its increasing popularity within the modern era. Helping this increase in membership is the rising of immigration to the United States (particularly a large wave of African-Americans from the former American colony of Freedonia), as well as the death of former King Augustine "August" Washington.

Republican Party Wikibox.png

...Wait, so who exactly is this 'Governor', and how is he different from the state governors?
The Governor was the proposed executive head-of-state in Hamilton's Plan, as proposed by the Constitutional Convention. I took the name "Governor" and fashioned it onto "Governor-King," which I find to be a more accurate summary of what Hamilton's proposal really had.

Why was the Governate-Kingship vacant for nearly a decade in the 50s-60s?
Haven't thought out all the little kinks yet, but essentially Bushrod II causes Watergate-on-Steroids, abdicates the throne and the Congress essentially takes charge for eight years to make sure such large-scale corruption doesn't occur again. It was this era that brought forth the Figurehead Amendment (the crowning jewel of the Republican Party).

Poll Announcement #1
---
Section Header.png

---​

Alright, it's time for some of you folks to help contribute to the timeline (in a way, I guess). I've come up with two major "systems" for this United States to follow, and I'll introduce each here:
Canton System: Based vaguely off of the Swiss Cantons; essentially, each state has the ability to run their own government however they choose (so long as they don't abuse constitutional rights). This system allows for a lot more diversity between States of the Union, but the downside is that I worry that this "canton system" would feel unoriginal or overdone (seeing as both the Affiliated States of Boreoamerica and the Union of American Realms use a similar system - and those are just the ones I know of).
American System: Not quite the same as the modern United States, but incredibly close. Only difference being that there may be these sort of "Ducal families" that hold no real power (and never have). Usually based off of prominent revolutionary families (The Adams for Mass. and Maine, Clinton for New York, etc.), but not always. Beyond that, all states have the same (or almost exactly the same) system of governance as in real life. I do have some ideas for this in particular, and it might help show some info about the United States in this world to some degree or other.
Other: Self-explanatory; if you have an idea that you would want to see and you think is good, just say so. This stuff is pretty up in the air, so go ahead!
---
RESULTS:
upload_2019-5-6_15-58-1.png

Last edited: