Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Papal dispensation will be required (as daughter 1 is half-aunt of son 1) and I think you have either make some mistake or daughter 1 is likely too old for marrying son 1

Would it not be a comparable case to the marriage between Ferdinand II and Germaine of Foix? IIRC, no papal-dispensation was needed there.

There's only a 7 year age difference. She'd be 29 while he'd be 22.

Would it not be a comparable case to the marriage between Ferdinand II and Germaine of Foix? IIRC, no papal-dispensation was needed there.

There's only a 7 year age difference. She'd be 29 while he'd be 22.
You have make some mistake in declining the kinship then as I read it daughter 1 is the elder half-sister of son 1’s mother...

Seven years of difference is still fine...

Ferdinand II was the younger half-brother of Germaine’s grandmother

Is there any solid maps/resources locating salt mining in the Western US (preferably west of the Rockies) and Canada (BC/Alberta)? Or at least known deposits of salt?

A question on late medieval/early 16th century laws on matrimony (forgive me as this is a bit cryptic, but I don't want to give anything away if this is doable):

Female 1 marries Male 1 and have daugther 1.
Then Male 1 dies and Female 1 marries Male 2. They have Daughter 2.
Daugther 2 then marries Male 3. They have Son 1.

Can Daughter 1 and Son 1 legally marry without papal dispensation? Would it be frowned upon for the times? Northern Europe in the 1520s to be specific?

Summoning @FalconHonour @Gwrtheyrn Annwn @Kellan Sullivan @BlueFlowwer, @Zulfurium and anyone else knowledgable of such matters ^^

How the hell did I end up as someone people want to discuss 16th century matrimony laws with? I am becoming increasingly aware of how much weird knowledge I have collected from around the interweb. :p

To answer your question, I think it really depends a great deal on a number of factors including social status and the particular location (and religion) in place at the time.

Assuming this is a Catholic region and a relatively upper-class collection of people - I think you would need papal dispensation, although the pope would likely only receive news of it through reports from the local bishopric. The real arbitrator of the issue would likely be either the local bishop or archbishop as long as we aren't dealing with royalty or high nobility with political power similar to a royal - for that relatively small group the Pope would get directly involved, probably through a specially appointed papal nuncio to deal with the issue. By the 1520s the matter would usually be dealt with through a donation to the church in return for the dispensation unless major geopolitics were involved. In Northern Europe I only think the pope would intervene directly for something to do with the Habsburgs, Tudors or Oldenburgs (the royals in the area).

If these people were peasants I doubt anyone would raise a fuss and the marriage would go on with the blessing of a priest. At this point in time the Catholic Church was in something of a moral nadir.

If we were talking about the 11th-13th century, it would be an entirely different matter and the 4 generations of seperation rule would be in effect in all but the most abnormal circumstances.

That is indeed also the case.

Thanks for the help!
You have make some serious mistake... If the bride is the elder half-sister of the mother’s groom (as you have given) she need to be at least 15 years (and I am really giving the shortest possible age difference) older than the groom not seven...
Maybe the groom is the son of an elder step-sister of the bride or you had mixed the bride and the groom’s mother?

Assuming this is a Catholic region and a relatively upper-class collection of people - I think you would need papal dispensation, although the pope would likely only receive news of it through reports from the local bishopric. The real arbitrator of the issue would likely be either the local bishop or archbishop as long as we aren't dealing with royalty or high nobility with political power similar to a royal - for that relatively small group the Pope would get directly involved, probably through a specially appointed papal nuncio to deal with the issue. By the 1520s the matter would usually be dealt with through a donation to the church in return for the dispensation unless major geopolitics were involved. In Northern Europe I only think the pope would intervene directly for something to do with the Habsburgs, Tudors or Oldenburgs (the royals in the area).

Indeed it is a Catholic region in Northern Europe (Scandinavia) and we're dealing with members of the top aristocracy, opposed to the Oldenburgs. You might already have an idea about whom I'm talking ;)

You have make some serious mistake... If the bride is the elder half-sister of the mother’s groom (as you have given) she need to be at least 15 years (and I am really giving the shortest possible age difference) older than the groom not seven...

Well as I said, it is rather cryptic on purpose. Let me try to rephrase it.

Lady 1 marries Husband 1 and has Daughter 1 (born 1475). Then Husband 1 dies.
Lady 1 then remarries to Husband 2 and by him gives birth to Daughter 2 (born 1494).

Daughter 1 and 2 are thus half-sisters with a 19 year age difference.

Daughter 1 has in the meantime married someone unrelated and had Son 1 (born 1501)

Thus my question is: is papal dispensation necessary for Daughter 2 to marry Son 1 and would it even be considered 'proper' for the times?

Indeed it is a Catholic region in Northern Europe (Scandinavia) and we're dealing with members of the top aristocracy, opposed to the Oldenburgs. You might already have an idea about whom I'm talking ;)

Well as I said, it is rather cryptic on purpose. Let me try to rephrase it.

Lady 1 marries Husband 1 and has Daughter 1 (born 1475). Then Husband 1 dies.
Lady 1 then remarries to Husband 2 and by him gives birth to Daughter 2 (born 1494).

Daughter 1 and 2 are thus half-sisters with a 19 year age difference.

Daughter 1 has in the meantime married someone unrelated and had Son 1 (born 1501)

Thus my question is: is papal dispensation necessary for Daughter 2 to marry Son 1 and would it even be considered 'proper' for the times?
Oh, now you have corrected (you had mixed the half-sisters earlier) and is clear. Papal dispensation is absolutely required but such wedding will be acceptable, specially if required by political situations or alliances

Is there any solid maps/resources locating salt mining in the Western US (preferably west of the Rockies) and Canada (BC/Alberta)? Or at least known deposits of salt?[/QUOTE

Here ya go:
Map-showing-rock-salt-deposits-in-the-United-States.png

This map is found in: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ZPQHR-iygZD5qn7TvsTqVrAeZhwpLMGnuPhK0P0knIcIw

These would be the major deposits. Smaller deposits may be found all over the US.

If you are interested in small deposits in a particular region, I would suggest researching where the Native American tribes in that area found salt.

How many more prominent Han female figures might there have been without the practice of foot binding? Also, tons of misery would’ve been averted...

Any macro effects besides the above?

I would like to know if anyone has any concrete data on the Portuguese navy in the period post Napoleonic wars until world war one, from what I can find the Portuguese Royal navy, while not insignificant by any means, was far from what it had been before the French invasion. Possessing only a handful of armored and protected cruisers and a few destroyers at the dawn of the twentieth century, and having built a few screw frigates and Ironclads in the decades before then.
Specifically I was wondering at the lack of any Portuguese capital ships, coastal battleships, predreadnoughts and the like. Was there a specific reason for this? Lack of funding for such ships, lack of incentive for the government to order them? If the government had decided in say the 1890s to order a pair of large battleships would there have been money to do so? And what would need to happen for Portugal to build such ships.

What animal introduced in large enough numbers could hold back the plague? Snakes? A huge amount of cats? I'm wondering if a predator such as those mentioned could keep the number of black rats down and therefore limit the amount of devastation the plague vauses.?

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
Did Native Americans produce iron weapons and tools after European Invasion or did they only got them by trade ?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could all help me scratch and itch I've had for some time:

Does anyone know any good introductory works about Medieval German History in English? So many English language histories about the Middle Ages focused primarily on Britain and, to a lesser extent, France - especially in the field of popular histories. I've been wanting to learn more about Germany during this time but most of the works I find are either rather old (I loved Bryce in High School - though I havne't read him in decades) or heavily specialized.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could all help me scratch and itch I've had for some time:

Does anyone know any good introductory works about Medieval German History in English? So many English language histories about the Middle Ages focused primarily on Britain and, to a lesser extent, France - especially in the field of popular histories. I've been wanting to learn more about Germany during this time but most of the works I find are either rather old (I loved Bryce in High School - though I havne't read him in decades) or heavily specialized.
Germany in the Early Middle Ages c. 800-1056 by Timothy Reuter
Heart of Europe: A History of the Holy Roman Empire by Peter H. Wilson

Would anyone happen to have any knowledge of the general population, GDP, industrial potential and political systems of the south American countries around the turn of the century. Specifically for a book I am planning to write in the future my nation will be fighting a war in south America, and it would help if I had some knowledge of the nations present at that time. Specifically I am wondering what was the potential each nation had for producing war material, rifles, artillery, ammunition, that sort of thing in the event of a blockade and trade embargo from the other major powers involved. I know for instance that many countries, Peru and Chile had a strong Prussian military tradition and used plenty of Mauser rifles of various models, but where they able to manufacture their own indigenous copies, and where did they get ammunition for them? Even a gentle nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
What if Xerxes, King of Kings of Persia is really a bald man who wears a lot of golden bling while being almost naked all the time? Just like what he is depicted in 300?

MOD EDIT

No this is not ASB, there is no magic, no significant alternations to Persian cultures and soldiers, and definitely no other 300 elements getting into. It was just Xerxes' personal Fashion Statement, and the Achaemenid Aristocrats and Military under him just basically said a collective "Ehhh?" shook their heads, but let their King of Kings having his own bold Fashion Statement.

And yes, ITTL, we knew this because King Xerxes in all accounts about him (Persian, Greeks, etc) is always being noted as a scantily clad bald man with a lot of things, even and especially in relief and paintings, but he also oversaw the somewhat successful Military Campaigns as well as the Building projects his OTL self has also done.

Bonus points if some future Persian Kings adopt his fashion statement as well, not always being boring long bearded long haired guys.

So there will be two versions of "acceptable" Persian Noble style, one is standard like OTL, and the other wearing speedo and brings.

Add: This is not ASB, Kings and Emperors have gotten away with worse in Antiquity and Medieval Period, lets assume aside of the weird fashion, Xerxes stayed just as competent as his OTL self.

Don't Troll.

Seriously.

Would anyone happen to have any knowledge of the general population, GDP, industrial potential and political systems of the south American countries around the turn of the century. Specifically for a book I am planning to write in the future my nation will be fighting a war in south America, and it would help if I had some knowledge of the nations present at that time. Specifically I am wondering what was the potential each nation had for producing war material, rifles, artillery, ammunition, that sort of thing in the event of a blockade and trade embargo from the other major powers involved. I know for instance that many countries, Peru and Chile had a strong Prussian military tradition and used plenty of Mauser rifles of various models, but where they able to manufacture their own indigenous copies, and where did they get ammunition for them? Even a gentle nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
Search for the Maddison Project, it has historic population stats and GDP for Latin America in the 19th/20th centuries (and a bunch of other useful data/estimates).

Ive been listening to Mike Duncan's podcast in the french revolution and a question struck me that i don't think he quite addressed.

Why didn't Louis and his family just simply abdicate, rather than try the risky and ultimately failed escape to austrian territory?

I mean at some point i would think he had to consider whether trying to hold onto power in a situation where he feared for his life was preferable to essentially retiring and living out life in peace and luxury.

Or am i missing something that would lead him to think he would be just as at risk if he abdicated the throne?