DBWI: India divided on a religious basis

Reading the comment section i saw a comment claiming that there was a possibillity for India to be divided into two countries based on religion. India would be split into two, one Muslim and one Hindu state. The idea does seem ridiculous, but what if it had really happened?

EDIT: I know this should be in the after 1900 discussion. Thanks for moving the thread ;)

Last edited:
Well, India would probably not be the "superpower of tomorrow" with a rapid rise in economic strength and political standing over the past 30 years as this hypothetical "Pakistan" would be sucking up India's resources and Partition would be very impractical.

Well, India would probably not be the "superpower of tomorrow" with a rapid rise in economic strength and political standing over the past 30 years as this hypothetical "Pakistan" would be sucking up India's resources and Partition would be very impractical.
"Pakistan" is that the name of the ATL Muslim or Hindu state? Also what would the other state, that is besides "Pakistan" be called?

"Pakistan" is that the name of the ATL Muslim or Hindu state? Also what would the other state, that is besides "Pakistan" be called?
To my knowledge Pakistan was a minor proposal by some Muslim Indians to establish a Vatican city style neo-Mughal state in Delhi. It got painted by some Hindu nationalists as an attempt at enforcing Muslim dominance, and later as an attempt at Islamic seperatism, hence why many...less enlightened people call it an Islamic Indian state. I think it could have been a pretty cool idea if Pakistan really came into existence--land of the pure and all that--fits Bahadur Shah and his poetic ways.

To my knowledge Pakistan was a minor proposal by some Muslim Indians to establish a Vatican city style neo-Mughal state in Delhi. It got painted by some Hindu nationalists as an attempt at enforcing Muslim dominance, and later as an attempt at Islamic seperatism, hence why many...less enlightened people call it an Islamic Indian state. I think it could have been a pretty cool idea if Pakistan really came into existence--land of the pure and all that--fits Bahadur Shah and his poetic ways.
So "Pakistan" would have been somekind of monastic state?
The hypothetical Muslim state. The Hindu state would be called either Bharat or India.
What about the names "Hindustan" or "Muslimstan"? Where they ever considered?

The thread writer was an idiot, sorry.
Pakistan and India are divided on the basis of religion in OTL. So this thread is without meaning.
OOC: It's a DBWI. It's an exercise in roleplay where in this case, we assume India was not partitioned and think from the perspective of people from an alternate timeline.

So "Pakistan" would have been somekind of monastic state?
Maybe. I recall reading that Pakistan "Government" (really the palace administration in the Red Fort) would give a grant to prominent Sufis--half PR move in the name of inter-religious harmony, half homage to the pro-Sufi legacy of Bahadur Shah Zafar and his predecessors. I think it would have ended up as a glorified musuem, much like how the Forbidden City in China houses the house of Aisin Gioro to this day. China is a role model for India in this regard, IMO. Chen Jiongming and his federalist legacy means that China is more open to protecting regionalist sentiments that the Aisin Gioro could symbolize in more turbulent times. I don't like how Han nationalist or Hindu ntionalists politicians like to play up these fears of foreign domination. Emperor Puyi rejected Japanese attempts to court him as Emperor of Manchuria because he was already treated with respect by the Chinese Government. If India treated the Pakistan proposal with some respect, then we wouldn't see Muslims saying Hindus have an irrational fear of Islamic separatism.

How is that even possible? There’s no way of making a border that has all Hindus on one side and all the Muslims on the other. Why would any indian Muslim choose to be part of a country that doesn’t include the greatest parts of Islamic civilisation in India, the Taj Mahal, the Gol Gumbaz, the tomb of itimad ud daulah? And how would either state treat all the non Hindu or Muslim inhabitants such as Buddhists and Christians? Even the two categories of Hindu and Muslim have so many subcategories with almost nothing in common even in matters of religion and communities that straddle the two- the whole idea is so chimerical and impractical as to be entirely unworkable.

OOC: I was reading a book the other day called the Argumentative Indian which featured a defence of Indian secularism and the first thing it refutes is the non existence critique- it tends to be western observers, who refer to Pakistan as a Muslim state and India as a Hindu state, when India has secularism enshrined in its constitution and ideals of the state, and apart from the Hindutva types in power now, has tended towards treating all religions equally. Now I know the op doesn’t explicitly say that otl India is a Hindu state, but it implies it, which I think betrays the inclusive ideals that allow for a full appreciation of India.

Deleted member 114175

I could see Bengal becoming an independent nation but India wouldn't even make sense as a unified country without the Indus. Indian "nationalism" started with the wars between the Raj and the Russian Empire, as well as the frontier with the Sikh empire in Tibet and Afghanistan.