WI : PepsiCo kept its navy and extended itself into a private military company?

FOREIGN AFFAIRS; Soviets Buy American
By FLORA LEWISMAY 10, 1989

May 10, 1989, Page 00035 The New York Times Archives
Donald M. Kendall chuckles about his gibe at Brent Scowcroft. ''We're disarming the Soviet Union faster than you are,'' the head of Pepsico told President Bush's national security adviser.

Pepsico recently bought from the Soviets 17 submarines (for a measly $150,000 each), a cruiser, a frigate and a destroyer. They are being resold for scrap. It has also bought new Soviet tankers (to carry oil, not beverages) in a joint venture with the Soviets and a Norwegian company that will lease them out or sell them.

These peculiar ventures for a soft drink company are a necessary way for it to do business with Moscow. Pepsi has 21 plants in the Soviet Union and wants to open 26 more. The problem, as in most deals with the Soviets, is how to get the money out.

A cheery, white-haired, extravagantly energetic 68-year-old, Mr. Kendall is also a truly imaginative businessman. In 1959 he set up a stand at the American exhibition in Moscow. Nearby was a kitchen equipment stand, where Nikita Khrushchev and Vice President Richard Nixon got into a famous debate.

It was literally, as well as figuratively, heated. When Mr. Kendall noticed the Soviet leader wiping his brow, he rushed over with a nice cold Pepsi and was rewarded with a unique, unpaid commercial for his product, published round the world. Mr. Kendall followed up with a deal obtaining exclusive rights to the Soviet market in return for exclusive distribution rights for Stolichnaya vodka in the U.S.

But the American vodka market has limits. So later Mr. Kendall began looking for other Soviet products he could sell to remit Pepsi's ruble earnings. Thus the tanker and the castoff fleet. The Pepsi monopoly in a vast country has given heartburn to the Coca-Cola people. In what he calls ''the cola wars,'' the international lawyer Sam Pisar got special rights for Coca-Cola to supply the 1980 Moscow Olympics, as it had every Olympics since 1924. But it refrained because of the American embargo on the Games after the invasion of Afghanistan.

Since then, Coca-Cola has introduced some other lines to the Russians, such as Fanta and Minute Maid, with special deals for repayment. But real ''Coke'' can still only be bought in special hard-currency stores for foreigners.

Coca-Cola's resentment may explain a recent nasty column by William Buckley, normally no enemy of business initiative, wondering if Mr. Kendall ''has put in for Pepsi concessions in the gulag'' and noting tartly that ''as sales of Pepsi mounted, so did the creation of nuclear missiles'' in the Soviet Union. It takes a lot of fantasy to make an American soft drink responsible for Soviet forced labor and atomic weapons.

On the contrary, it would seem that winning Russian gullets, and maybe hearts and minds, with American consumer products is all to the good for both sides. Apart from specific goods with military applications, it makes no sense to brand trade with the Soviets as some kind of greedy treachery.

The real issue, illuminated by Mr. Kendall's experience, is that it is so hard for Western suppliers andinvestors to get paid. That is Mr. Gorbachev's main problem in attracting foreign credits, which incidentally remain much lower than the billions an-nounced because businessmen haven't taken up the credit offers.

Ironically, Western governments, which were leery when their businessmen were excited about prospects of big deals with the Soviets in the early 1970's, are now trying to encourage trade on a much more reluctant private sector. According to a senior Japanese economic official, it isn't just that inflated hopes brought disillusion and some losses during that round of detente. Trade has changed.

Japanese industrialists are no longer willing to make the huge investments discussed in the Brezhnev era in return for future guaranteed supplies of raw materials. Now they know the only guarantee they need for raw materials is ready money. They are looking for upscale markets. West Germans say much the same applies to them, and they aren't signing up in droves.

An American involved said the Soviets wanted foreigners to produce goods for export from their country, which isn't attractive in competition with third-world offers to investors. The businessmen want access to a Soviet market that pays.

So whatever the political-military climate, it will be a long time before East-West economic exchange becomes really important. Meanwhile, carting off excess arms for Pepsi isn't a bad way to help perestroika and improve Russian humors.

Source https://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/10/opinion/foreign-affairs-soviets-buy-american.html

Pepsico security guards

The first Pepsico military plane on display
tumblr_p06x3mvCJC1r94kvzo1_1280.jpg

PepsiCo recruitment poster for chinese contractors
Pepsi_Chinamobilephone15.jpg

A recruitment campaign aimed at US veterans.

38891168_638371546529247_3742029272122916864_n.jpg

What would happen if PepsiCo decided to become a private military company, keeping its fleet, buying more soviet weaponry and seizing the opportunities of the power vacuum at the end of Soviet Union to work as military contractors and arms dealers from Russia?

Last edited:

Dolan

Banned
What would happen if PepsiCo decided to become a private military company, keeping its fleet, buying more soviet weapons and seizing the opportunities of the power vacuum at the end of Soviet Union?
While taking over Soviet Union or Russia is nigh impossible, they could, theoretically, intervene on Somalia or some other African country and end up taking that land as their personal fiefdom.

US then secretly subsidize Coca Cola with Veterans and military hardwares to fought the African Cola War

It loses money. Here's the thing the USSR sold Pepsi those warships because they were old and obsolete. The newest of those submarines is from 1962 or earlier, the cruiser is 1955 or older, the Destroyer 1967 or older and the Frigate 1966 or older. The USSR sold them to Pepsi for scrap value, if they were worth more than that, the USSR would have gotten more out of them than $150,000 per sub. These ships are no more than target practice in the modern era, and being old are going to be maintenance intensive and require a lot more crew, so are going to be very expensive to operate, assuming they are in a condition to return to service and don't need extensive repairs/rearming, almost certainly not.

Also how the hell are they supposed to make money? Who is going to hire a bunch of obsolete Soviet Warships, what are they going to be doing that can't be done cheaper other ways

Pepsi forces companies around the world to drop Coke. Some brave establishments standup to them, starting the Fast Food War where Pepsi begins systematically killing all Coke Distrubutors, McDonalds, and several other prominent companies. Several prominent companies fall to Pepsi, but Coke eventually bleeds Pepsi white while McDonalds and Walmart destroys their infrastructure with a strategic bombing campaign. After Coke takes Pepsi’s HQ, Pepsi surrenders unconditionally. Pepsi’s board of directors is put on trial.

With this, all of Pepsi’s assets are divided between the three companies. McDonalds and Walmart want Pepsi restored as a major company that can freely sell their product, while Coke wants to keep them down to ensure nothing like this happens again. Coke frees none of the companies they liberated from Pepsi, and the Cold War begins.

Rent a Coast Guard to dirt poor Third World nations.? Take the rent in the form of raw material extraction/export contracts. Contract their air & ship port operations, their law enforcement, courts, army ect....

Rent a Coast Guard to dirt poor Third World nations.? Take the rent in the form of raw material extraction/export contracts. Contract their air & ship port operations, their law enforcement, courts, army ect....

I feel like third world counties don't have a lot of money... They'd be better off selling soft drink... FROM THE SUBMARINES!

I don't think there's much of a market for naval PMCs. If the soviets paid them in tanks, rifles, and planes they may have had something, but few if any countries are looking for sea lane patrols.

PepsiCo Agrees to Sponsor Syrian Conflict

by Shell Davis
Post Washington Reporter
July 13, 2012

President Barack Obama announced that a "limited police-action" in Syria this summer would be largely funded by product-placement. "PepsiCo has agreed to be our partner in freeing the Syrian people," said President Obama said at a press conference Friday. The "partnership" will consist of specific Pepsi products being advertised on weapons and military equipment for which the company is footing the bill.

sobe-drones.jpg

"We're proud to introduce SoBe Vita-Boom ariel drones and Pepsi Next armored vehicles," said a grimacing Obama. PepsiCo has also agreed to pay for Cool Ranch Doritos smart bombs and Aquafina FlavorSplash depleted uranium rounds.

Some have speculated that the president may have acted months sooner, saving thousands of lives, if not for an intractable Republican congress that would have refused to pay for it.

"Taste what's Next," said a reluctant Obama, "Syrian freedom!"

Source : https://www.morningafterpost.com/world news/world stories/syria-pepsi.htm

Pepsi goes bankrupt from the massive amounts of money needed to service the ships, buy munitions, and pay crews. But it would be pretty funny to see Pepsi-emblazoned ships show up at some civil war.

It'd put a whole new meaning to the term "guerilla marketing" though.
If we're imaginative, Pepsi could use it as gunboat diplomacy to extract commercial advantages from 3rd world countries.
Give us the water contract or we bomb your port

They would probably use the ships in advertising or in some watershow, not much else they can do with some rusty old cruisers.

A dark day in the history of the world when the Cola Wars turned hot and there are few things worse than hot cola. Seriously I was considering doing a post like this for April Fools Day and wondered if anyone else would touch on it. Something like Pepsi trading for the ships and starting to hunt down cargo vessels shipping Coke products or missile strikes on bottling plants near coasts or river inlets. More and more of the Fortune 500 getting drawn into the fighting. A Shasta-Faygo guerilla alliance doing hit and run attacks. It would have to be ASB as it's ridiculous but makes me laugh every time I think of it.

Not much call for private rustbucket navies as opposed to private ground security forces. I suppose they could have been hired to do anti-piracy duty in the Indian Ocean but the cost of keeping such ancient ships operational would surely be very high.

I realize that this is a light-hearted thread so I'm sorry to be the downer but if the ships were really worth anything, the Soviets would have sold them to someone else for more money and then used some of the proceeds to pay for their soft drinks. The fact that they went to Pepsi directly presumably means that every single seafaring or even just sea-adjacent country in the world, plus every shipping company and every mercenary firm, passed these up as being not worth the effort.

A dark day in the history of the world when the Cola Wars turned hot and there are few things worse than hot cola. Seriously I was considering doing a post like this for April Fools Day and wondered if anyone else would touch on it. Something like Pepsi trading for the ships and starting to hunt down cargo vessels shipping Coke products or missile strikes on bottling plants near coasts or river inlets. More and more of the Fortune 500 getting drawn into the fighting. A Shasta-Faygo guerilla alliance doing hit and run attacks. It would have to be ASB as it's ridiculous but makes me laugh every time I think of it.
How illegal would it be if they attacked in international waters?

It'd put a whole new meaning to the term "guerilla marketing" though.
If we're imaginative, Pepsi could use it as gunboat diplomacy to extract commercial advantages from 3rd world countries.
Give us the water contract or we bomb your port
Meanwhile off the coast of Liberia on the PEP ship PEPSI

What the fuck do you mean you want to drink water??

I do not want to upset anyone, but before selling all the armaments and, in general, almost everything valuable including ship propellers were removed from the submarines. It was literally scrap metal.

I do not want to upset anyone, but before selling all the armaments and, in general, almost everything valuable including ship propellers were removed from the submarines. It was literally scrap metal.
Pepsi could have installed the big stirring blades from its soda vats as propellers.

(Admittedly I have no idea how soft drinks are manufactured but there must be spinning blades somewhere in the process.)

Well, now you've done it. I'm officially upset. I do not thank you. Good day sir.

Pepsi could have installed the big stirring blades from its soda vats as propellers.

(Admittedly I have no idea how soft drinks are manufactured but there must be spinning blades somewhere in the process.)
Otherwise, how could you have dramatic show downs at the end of the movie ?