Burying the Hatchet: A Nintendo/Sega TL

Introduction / Rumors Spread
Welcome to Burying the Hatchet! In this timeline Mario and Sonic will put their decade old rivalry to an end and combine forces to compete against Sony and Microsoft.

Sega is in peril and their savior might just be a familiar red plumber.

Nintendo, the company that popularized home gaming in the mid 1980’s with Super Mario is in talks to buy Sega who shook up the industry in the early 1990’s with their own colorful mascot Sonic the Hedgehog. According to sources within Sega and Nintendo the two companies are close to a nearly 2.5 billion dollar deal that would put Sega within the inner circle of their adversary Nintendo. Despite spokespersons from both Sega and Nintendo denying these rumors, this lines up with other rumors from within Sega that some upcoming Dreamcast games might see a release on Nintendos new system the GameCube.

Sega rose in the 1990’s with the Genesis and grew to take on industry giant Nintendo but competition from Sonys PlayStation in the late 1990’s caused Sega to fall and has since been struggling to keep up. Despite a strong start sales of the Dreamcast have quickly fallen and Sega is expected to report its third consecutive loss in 2000.

The New York Times, August 15th 2000​

Look forward to this! I was working on a similar tl at one point but suffered severe writer's block. Will be cool to see what you're planning.

The News
Last night while the United States was asleep the entire videogame industry thrown for a loop when Nintendo held a press release revealing that Nintendo had purchasing Sega for over 2.5 billion dollars. Nintendos press release raised more questions than answered as Nintendo simply stated “The acquisition of Sega would greatly expand the possibilities of the GameCube and expand their portfolio of well-known game franchises.” Nintendo said that their plans for Sega would be revealed at the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Sega held its own press release shortly after Nintendo announcing that they had indeed been purchased by Nintendo and that they would produce software for the Nintendo GameCube and Gameboy Advance. Sega also announced that the Dreamcast would be discontinued at the end of 2001 and that more information would be revealed at Nintendos conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

The New York Times, January 28 2001

I know these first two chapters are short and not very exiting but E3 should more than make up for it.

I know these first two chapters are short and not very exiting but E3 should more than make up for it.
Wonder how this will affect Visual Concepts...this is before Nintendo shelved Nintendo sports, meaning they can use that to push that brand even more and with Acclaim collapsing that is a big chance for exclusive sports game, the big loser is Left Field Productions but again the abandoned nintendo after NBA courtside 2002...so they might abandon it faster here.

Wonder how this will affect Visual Concepts...this is before Nintendo shelved Nintendo sports, meaning they can use that to push that brand even more and with Acclaim collapsing that is a big chance for exclusive sports game, the big loser is Left Field Productions but again the abandoned nintendo after NBA courtside 2002...so they might abandon it faster here.

What's really interesting is how this affects the EA Sports games and their future exclusivity with the NFL and ESPN. The 2k Sports games won't be as big competitors ITTL since their exclusive to Nintendo now. I don't have a concrete plan for that yet. Like many gamers I tend to overlook the yearly sports games when really they're pretty big sellers.

What's really interesting is how this affects the EA Sports games and their future exclusivity with the NFL and ESPN. The 2k Sports games won't be as big competitors ITTL since their exclusive to Nintendo now. I don't have a concrete plan for that yet. Like many gamers I tend to overlook the yearly sports games when really they're pretty big sellers.
Nice you got those details too, but that is something big for nintendo itself and others too. And at the time Nintendo did have an exclusivity with Kobe Bryan and Lakers for brading...NBA2K Courtside?

Another thing would be the advantage of more development team, and some revival..like Phantasy Star?

E3 2001 Part 1
E3 was finally here and Nintendos press conference was about to start as countless people gathered in the conference hall, decorate with a statue of Mario on one side, a statue of Sonic on the other side and a light above the center of the stage saying “the Nintendo difference”. There were many questions about what was happening at Sega. Now that they were part of Nintendo, what would they contribute to Nintendo? What did Sega have that Nintendo wanted? Questions like these were burning in the heads of fans ever since news of the buyout hit late January. Finally these questions would hopefully be answered in less than a minute as Satoru Iwata went on stage to begin.

“Thank and Welcome everyone. All of us at Nintendo have been working the GameCube project over the last several years are excited to be able to share the magic with you today for the first time anywhere. Nintendo has strong views on how we should run our company. We consider ourselves above all a game based entertainment company. We believe other people who make videogame systems see themselves first as technology companies and this is an important distinction.” Satoru Iwata continued to talk about the progression of technology. “Today some game graphics are as realistic as television. “There is not much more designers can do to impress players only with pictures. So we have identified three clear trends. Too much focus on graphics over real entertainment, too many sequels from a few hit games, and almost every hit game playing on every console. As a result what lessons are we teaching our customers, our players? We think these often do not trust what you see, because a game which looks good on a TV ad or in a store may not entertain you for very long. The harder thing is to entertain. Next there doesn’t seem to be anything new, everything looks too familiar boredom sets in and finally it may not really matter which machines you choose. They all play the same games and if that happens console makers find themselves in a commodity business like TVs or VCRs. There is no reason for players to choose one over the other except for price. At Nintendo we feel an obligation to fight these trends and how do we do that? With what we call the Nintendo difference. In our minds the Nintendo difference has four legs or foundations. The first is innovation. Our goal is always to do something different, something no one has done before. In truth some of our inventions work better than others but we never stop trying to innovate. Mr. Yamauhci always tells me we should achieve something that will bring fresh, surprise, and joy. I like that. Next we demand the highest quality from our games. Normally Nintendo does not publish the most games but regularly we are responsible for the most popular games. Today Nintendos first and second party development staffs are by far the strongest and most accomplished of any manufacturer in the world. This includes private firms like Rare in England, Left Field in the United States, Silicon Knights in Canada, and Hal, Creatures, Game Freak, and Intelligent Systems in Japan. Just as importantly we expand the world’s most popular videogame characters and franchises. Mario and Zelda and Donkey Kong and yes Pokemon. Entertainment names known around the world. Here the Nintendo difference is obvious. If you want these stars, you simply cannot have them unless you own a Nintendo machine. The final leg is heritage. This year we are introducing our fourth Nintendo home console and every one of them has succeeded around the world and of course Gameboy has also been a huge success. I believe we know more about what makes great games than anyone else and this is why Nintendo succeeds. This is the Nintendo difference. Now I must address the hedgehog in the room. The crowd laughs as Iwata gestures to the statue of Sonic. Our purchase of the Sega Corporation is not one of hostile takeover but one of unity. At Nintendo we feel that Sega has the distinct qualities that fit Nintendos business model. I believe that Nintendo will benefit from Sega just as much as Sega will benefit from Nintendo. To explain more about the GameCube and Segas role at Nintendo is Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto and Mr. Yuji Naka from Sega.” The crowd roared with applause as Miyamoto holding a GameCube and GameCube controller and Yuji Naka entered the stage.

Miyamoto put the GameCube and controller down and began speaking “Let me introduce our new baby. Like all babies it is small.” The crowd laughs. “It will make a lot of noise.” Miyamoto joked as the crowd laughs harder. “Please allow me to introduce Mr. Bill Trinen from Nintendo of America.” Miyamoto finished his brief speech in English as Bill Trinen entered the stage and began to translate for Miyamoto. “Allow me to introduce my new friend from Sega Mr. Yuji Naka.” The crowd cheers as Yuji Naka begins talking with Bill Trinen translating. “Hello. I’m Mr. Yuji Naka from Sega. For those who may not know who I am, I’m the father of Sonic the Hedgehog. I’m proud of how famous Sonic has become throughout the years and I’m honored that our old rival Nintendo recognizes that fame. At last year’s E3 Sega announced Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast. This is going to be our big finale for the Dreamcast. That being said, Sonic Adventure 2 will also be a launch title for the Nintendo GameCube.” The crowd erupts into applause. “I know that for many Nintendo fans this will be their first time playing a Sonic game so I want to give a good first impression. We’re also going to be releasing Sonic Advance for the Gameboy Advance later this year in Japan so you can experience Sonic in both 3D and 2D. We also have some other Dreamcast games that are coming to the GameCube, take a look.” A trailer starts on a black screen with small text on the bottom that says “All gameplay from Sega Dreamcast version”. Gameplay from various games were shown with some generic rock music playing over them. The games shown were Sonic Adventure 2, NBA 2K1, Shenmue, NFL 2K1, Bomberman Online, Jet Set Radio, Quake III Arena, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Half - Life, and Phantasy Star Online. The crowd roars in applause. “We will be releasing these Dreamcast games on the GameCube throughout this and next year. I’m very excited for the possibilities of Sega and Nintendo collaborating together and one of these collaborations is SegaNet. At Sega we’re hard at work making SegaNet compatible with the GameCube and some of the games you just saw like Phantasy Star will have online play. We’ll have more information for you at Nintendo Space World later this year. I’ve had many meetings with Mr. Miyamoto and in these past months we’ve really gotten to know each other pretty well. I like to think that Sonic and Mario have buried the hatchet and are both relaxing together on a beach somewhere before their next big adventures.” Miyamoto and the crowd laughed “Mario is definitely on a beach.” Miyamoto added as the laughter got louder. “Thank you for having me Mr. Miyamoto.” Yuji Naka thanked Miyamoto. “You’re Welcome, Mr. Naka.” Miyamoto said as Yuji Naka left the stage. Miyamoto continues “At Nintendo we’ve been discussing which of our popular characters would be featured on the Nintendo GameCube. We’ve got a pretty good answer. Take a look.” A video starts up. A white hand grabs a statue of Mario and throws it into the air. Nintendos All-Stars in. The Mario Statue comes to life and from the distance a sword, it’s Link and Pikachu, and Kirby! Super Smash Brother Melee, the crowd goes nuts as the trailer continues showcasing various characters like Mario, Bowser, Peach, Link, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Fox, Ness, and Ice Climbers. The trailer ends and Miyamoto continues talking. “Just about all of Nintendos popular characters have been brought to life on Nintendo GameCube as you see in Super Smash Brothers. Tomorrow you can actually play it on the showfloor. Now for show our next game, the next in the Mario series.” The crowd cheers as another video begins playing. The camera zooms in on a dark and spooky mansion. Luigi screams with a large exaggerated face making the crowd laugh. Luigi’s Mansion. The trailer continues with Luigi exploring various rooms while occasionally fighting a ghost . The trailer ends and the crowd applause. “There’s a story behind this.” Miyamoto began speaking. “Luigi won this mansion in a contest. When he went to see this mansion he found out it was haunted. And Mario who should have gotten there first is nowhere to be found. What’s worse, there’s a suspicious looking doctor telling Luigi he needs to get rid of the all the ghosts to save Mario. So using this game as an example, I’m going to demonstrate the controls. Miyamoto goes on to explain the buttons of the GameCube for a while. After his explanation Miyamoto takes out a small plastic case from his jacket pocket and opens it showing the contents to the audience. “This is a hot off the press Luigi’s Mansion Gamedisc. So we’re going to put this into the GameCube here.” Miyamoto puts the disc in and grabs the controller. The GameCube starts up and the audience applauds. The game quickly starts up to the title screen. “See, virtually no load time at all.” Miyamoto comments as he selects Skip Intro on the title screen, Luigi is in a small room talking to a doctor character. “So first we’re going to get some advice from the doctor here.” Miyamoto selects the advice option. “Remember Luigi. Your vacuum will overheat if you use it for too long.” The doctor tells Luigi. “Alright so were going to head off into the mansion now.” Miyamoto picks the Go to Mansion option. A short cinematic plays of Luigi slowly walking up to the mansion and going inside. “Alright we’re in. It’s very dark inside so Luigi needs a flashlight.” Miyamoto begins to explain how the game controls in the mansions entrance. “Ok let’s go into this hallway right here.” Luigi opens a door into a hallway. A ghost shows up behind Luigi who turns around and sucks it up. “So ghosts are going to appear behind Luigi and you’re going to use your light to stun them and then suck them in with your vacuum and this is the basic idea of the game.” As Miyamoto continues to explore showing how the vacuum interacts with the environment he goes into a bathroom, a shadow reveals someone is using the shower. “You can even move the curtain.” Luigi uses the vacuum to open the shower curtain revealing nothing. “Well we opened it but there’s nobody. So I hope you enjoy these kind of creepy lighting and shadow effects we’ve created.” Miyamoto turns the GameCube off. “Well I think I hear Luigi in the back. It sounds like he needs my help. I’ll be back later but I’m going to go back for now. Thank You.” Miyamoto thanks the crowd as he leaves.

This is part 1 of E3. I would of had this up sooner but I wanted to make sure E3 was evenly divided and I've been much busier this month than I expected. E3 Part 2 WILL be up by the end of the week, I don't have much left. Once E3 is finished there will be a small chapter about Sonic's 10th Anniversary Party & Sonic Adventure 2s launch on the Dreamcast.

This includes private firms like Rare in England, Left Field in the United States, Silicon Knights in Canada, and Hal, Creatures, Game Freak, and Intelligent Systems in Japan. Just as importantly we expand the world’s most popular videogame characters and franchises. Mario and Zelda and Donkey Kong and yes Pokemon.
I wonder if Nintendo buying Sega will impact their relinquishing of Rare to Microsoft. After all, the Big N just made a big investment in buying Sega, so they probably wouldn't want to buy Rare outright. In fact, they might see it as the perfect time for spring cleaning and will let Rare go no problem, considering they just got their hands on a developer as big as Sega. Alternatively, something might go down that will make Nintendo see the error of their OTL ways and not sell off Rare.

I wonder if Nintendo buying Sega will impact their relinquishing of Rare to Microsoft. After all, the Big N just made a big investment in buying Sega, so they probably wouldn't want to buy Rare outright. In fact, they might see it as the perfect time for spring cleaning and will let Rare go no problem, considering they just got their hands on a developer as big as Sega. Alternatively, something might go down that will make Nintendo see the error of their OTL ways and not sell off Rare.

I've been debating as to whether Nintendo will commit to Rare or let them get bought by someone else. I can only imagine how pissed Chris and Tim Stamper must be. They've probably been asking Nintendo to buy them since 2000 and then Nintendo goes and buys Sega. Either way Microsoft won't own them ITTL.

I've been debating as to whether Nintendo will commit to Rare or let them get bought by someone else. I can only imagine how pissed Chris and Tim Stamper must be. They've probably been asking Nintendo to buy them since 2000 and then Nintendo goes and buys Sega. Either way Microsoft won't own them ITTL.
Fingers crossed someone nice buys them ITTL. Maybe Valve?

Fingers crossed someone nice buys them ITTL. Maybe Valve?
The other Bidder was Activision, dunno if someone else was bidding(Valve is smaller that rare at the time)

This is part 1 of E3. I would of had this up sooner but I wanted to make sure E3 was evenly divided and I've been much busier this month than I expected. E3 Part 2 WILL be up by the end of the week, I don't have much left. Once E3 is finished there will be a small chapter about Sonic's 10th Anniversary Party & Sonic Adventure 2s launch on the Dreamcast.
Well, nice E3 buddy, hope better things come to the future, this e3 was nice specially with all DC games coming, waiting next update buddy

The other Bidder was Activision, dunno if someone else was bidding(Valve is smaller that rare at the time)
Oh, I was picturing Valve with Steam on their side, without even thinking about when Steam first came out. Yeah, it's unlikely to be Valve, unless whatever company buys Rare sells it to them later.

Oh, I was picturing Valve with Steam on their side, without even thinking about when Steam first came out. Yeah, it's unlikely to be Valve, unless whatever company buys Rare sells it to them later.
too damn early, heck steam just release HL1 like 2 years ago, Steam is just a small developer, even if steam is coming in 2004...(yeah that was an eternity from now, almost all your life too).

I'm too old remember when steam was a small company,jejeje.

E3 2001 Part 2
Iwata comes back on stage and begins talking. “There is one more important example of the Nintendo difference I’d like to address. It has to do with how Nintendo GameCube was designed. I hope you will allow me a couple minutes to explain.” Iwata goes on to talk about the difficulty of developing 3D games. “We say game designers are often fighting against their own machines and the more they spend fighting machine the less time they can spend concentrating on what is really fun or unique about their project and their struggle means added cost and profit concerns for publishers. With Nintendo GameCube we wanted to help developers overcome these problems to create a truly developer friendly console. Developers aren’t fighting this machine, they are learning this machine. Of course it is up to the developers themselves to decide whether we have succeeded or not. But I believe the following comments from three of the world’s best game creators show that we are well on our way.” Iwata’s speech ends as a trailer starts.

Denis Dyak, Silicon Knights: When we first got the demo of the specs and the layout they were in utter shock. I can’t believe this, it is so good.
The Nintendo difference, The ART of the GAME
Chris Stamper, Rare: “What really excites us about the machine is how easy we feel it’s going to be to work with. The new technology is designed by people that understand games.” Gameplay of Dinosaur Planet is shown. “This is game hardware developed by a game company.”
Denis Dyak: I think Sony’s given everyone a chisel and they can create this piece of artwork with a chisel. If you make one mistake you can’t erase that mistake were with Nintendo it’s like a pencil. We can go through create a world.” Some dark ominous horror scenery is shown. “If you make a mistake it’s easy to go back and optimize thing that you need to optimize.”
Jeff Spangenberg, Retro Studios: “People are going to focus on the game rather than you know struggling with the hardware. It’s going to be an incredibly powerful machine that’s going to be easy to program for and say you get 90% of the maximum peak of that straight of the box.” A brief cinematic of a Metroid game is shown. The crowd cheers. “You’re not gonna have to worry about the technology. It’ll allow you to make great games
Denis Dyak: Pushing or pulling off to support but what they’ve really done is optimize the system for the best video game performance rather than the best polygon performance. More scenes of creepy places are shown, some shots have people fighting off zombies with a sword.
Chris Stamper: “We’re telling stories that we’ve never told before. All of the idea that we really wanted to convey we can do this with the new technology.” More shots of Dinosaur Planet are shown.
Denis Dyak: Now using this we can produce great stories great content really start to come to the forefront and I think it’s a time were the people can really create great game.
Chris Stamper: “The machine is so capable. We are able to closely deliver what we want to show and it’s wonderful for our designers. You’ve seen the sort of things that we can do with N64. This is a whole new order of magnitude.” Gameplay of various games are shown including Dinosaur Planet, and a game called Donkey Kong Racing.
Denis Dyak: “We’re gonna create these worlds that are just going to blow people away.”

The trailer ends with the GameCube logo and Iwata comes on stage. “In the end what Nintendo GameCube does is absolutely promote innovation and there’s nobody who has spent more time innovation than Mr. Miyamoto himself. You saw Luigi and we’ve been working on another innovative project. Take a look.” Peter Main leaves as another trailer starts.

A spaceman comes across a mysterious planted object and plucks it from the ground.
Meet the “PIKMIN”
The spaceman gathers some idle Pikmin by whistling them to his side. Their numbers are small.
Crisis of the “PIKMIN”
Scenes of large imposing creatures chasing, eating, squashing, and engulfing the Pikmin in flames.
Organize the “PIKMIN”
The Pikmin are shown doing various tasks like destroying walls, climbing sticks and carrying objects. The number of Pikmin increases rapidly.
Glory of the “PIKMIN”
The now numerous Pikmin are fighting the creatures that once preyed on them. The Pikmin are shown carrying their corpses to their oddly shaped nests.
PIKMIN

Iwata comes back on stage. “Now I know that a few of you may be mystified when you first saw Pokemon, but that turned out okay didn’t it.” The audience laughs. “I think we should have the creator Mr. Miyamoto come on to explain more.” Miyamoto and Bill Trinen come back on stage and Miyamoto begins talking. “We’ve been challenging ourselves to create something that’s truly unique. Well today I can’t show you something that’s totally unique I think this is at least something that’s kind if new. Now let me explain Pikmin and actually I have the main programmer Mr. Colin Reed from EAD who’s here today.” Colin Reed comes on stage and grabs the controller. “So if there’s any problem with the game it’s his fault.” The audience laughs. “Now the idea for this game is based off a group of ants and the main character he’s crash landed on a distant planet and he runs into these creatures. So he’s going to use the Pikmin to find the parts to his spaceship and escape from the planet. So you see this sprout poking out of the ground. This is a Pikmin, now the Pikmin like ants work in groups. They can also be planted in the ground and grow from sprout, to leaf, to bud, to flower. Now let’s pull this Pikmin out of the ground.” Colin plucks the sprout and a red Pikmin comes out. “So to give order’s to the Pikmin you throw them with B button and to call them back you just press the A button. So we see this little pellet on the ground we can have the Pikmin carry this back to its nest.” The Pikmin is thrown on the pellet and slowly brings it back to the nest which sucks the pellet up and seeds fly out of the top. “And if you pay close attention here you’ll see them sprout out and grow. Now let’s call all the Pikmin.” Colin blows the whistle and all the Pikmin pluck themselves from the ground. “Now see here these larger pellets take more Pikmin. We have more than 5 Pikmin so we can have the Pikmin carry this one with a 5 on it.” Colin throws 5 Pikmin on the pellet and the Pikmin carry it back. “Now this larger one I don’t think we have enough Pikmin to carry this yet.” Colin throws the only Pikmin he has on the big 10 pellet. The audience laughs as the lone Pikmin tries to lift the pellet. “He’s quite the determined trooper.” Miyamoto jokes as the audience laughs harder. “So maybe we can find some other Pikmin to help.” Colin travels a little bit to find a blue colored Pikmin nest and some red Pikmin sprouts. “Oh. Some blue Pikmin. These guys can help us.” Colin whistles the red Pikmin out of the ground and throws them on the pellet finally allowing the pellet to be carried. “So as you can see when you give them orders the Pikmin work really hard. Just like the members of our development teams and if you dismiss them you can see that they just that they’re kind of chilling out relaxing also like the members of our development teams.” The audience laughs and Miyamoto continues to explain that the c-stick can be used to move Pikmin and how the Pikmin can be divided up into groups to multitask. The screen goes black. “So were going to take the Pikmin into a fight but first I want to tell you a little something. I recently moved into a new house and ever since then I’ve been really busy gardening. So I’ve got quite an attachment to these plant like creatures and the three colors of Pikmin actually represent the different natures and as they transform from leaf to bud to flower they’ll have different characteristics. So now were back in the game screen here. You can see here the background scenery is very beautiful and very realistic and we took inspiration from my own neighborhood from the mountains and gardens around my house.” Colin walks up to a large sleeping enemy. “So if we attack from the front all these Pikmin are just going to get gobbled right up.” Despite Miyamotos warning Colin starts throwing Pikmin from the front anyway. The creature wakes up and runs to the Pikmin group taking a bite and eating some. “Oh. No. Maybe we can throw them on his back.” Colin move around the creature and throws Pikmin on its back. The back attack is much more effective as the creature slowly turns around but is killed before fully turning around. “So tomorrow on the show floor I’d like to see just how many Pikmin you can grow and who knows maybe when you get back home you’ll see Pikmin in your garden. So Colin’s going to have to get back to work. He’s got to finish this game. So I’ll have to use my whistle here.” Miyamoto pulls a whistle out of his jacket and blows it. Colin leaves the stage with Miyamoto and Bill Trinen following him. Iwata comes back on stage.

“Around the world development is well underway on dozens of great Nintendo GameCube games and gamers will be playing them soon. Nintendo GameCube launches will happen in Japan on September 14, the United States on November 5 and in Europe early next year. Our meaning for this E3 is to simply explain the meaning of Nintendo GameCube and the process of understanding the Nintendo GameCube continues at Nintendo Space World in Tokyo in august where we will reveal pricing information, hardware and software, and details on our launch titles. I hope you enjoy your chance to try Nintendo GameCube and Gameboy Advance on the show floor and thank you for having me today.” Iwata leaves the stage and the audience applause as Nintendos E3 conference ends.

So E3 is over and I made sure to get it out when I said I would. There will be one or two short chapters before spaceworld.
Next Chapter: Ten Years of Going Fast

Not bad, you should have added sega programmers to the nintendo difference and would be unique, still nice update, waiting the next one