The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Also who would be a good replacement for Pavelić as leader of the Independent State of Croatia?

A couple of possibilities:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_Kvaternik

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branimir_Jelić

About the first, he and his father were pratically very influential (and is interesting he is half Jew) in the Ustashe until they have some breakdown with Pavelic albeit Wikipedia won't say how. If father and son moved to Italy TTL instead than Slovakia, Mussolini can eventually make a bet to place them instead of Pavelic.

The second, well OTL stayed in Britain, if would stay TTL as well, may be soon contacted by Italian agents to sound his options. Being a Ustashe supporter, but not tainted by the initial actions of Pavelic, can bring more sanity in the country.

And remind there is still an Italian King on the throne of Croatia... Aimone/Tomislav of Savoia-Aosta can play a role in the eventual government shift.

However, there were reasons the Italians won't touch Pavelic - for now.

1) what happened to Lubiana and Slovenia as said before is still worse than expulsions and forced conversions and limited assassinations in Bosnia. Why look at the stick of your neighbour's eye...
2) would be Italian ingerence in the proclaimed "equality" between Roman Alliance members... albeit from another side would mark further the Italian leadership to keep the members under the same line, Rome's one of course.

If else, but for this we need to see how the situation is evolving in Serbia, Mussolini may press some restrain on Pavelic to not expel too many Serbians - making the neighbour Slavic nation a ponderkeg more precarious that already is.

Last edited:
However, there were reasons the Italians won't touch Pavelic - for now.

1) what happened to Lubiana and Slovenia as said before is still worse than expulsions and forced conversions and limited assassinations in Bosnia. Why look at the stick of your neighbour's eye...
2) would be Italian ingerence in the proclaimed "equality" between Roman Alliance members... albeit from another side would mark further the Italian leadership to keep the members under the same line, Rome's one of course.

If else, but for this we need to see how the situation is evolving in Serbia, Mussolini may press some restrain on Pavelic to not expel too many Serbians - making the neighbour Slavic nation a ponderkeg more precarious that already is.

I have a feeling that the ITTL Balkan Wars are going to make the OTL Yugoslavia Wars look like a picnic.

I have a feeling that the ITTL Balkan Wars are going to make the OTL Yugoslavia Wars look like a picnic.
There’s also this more frightening possibility: their won’t be a Balkans war as those disfavoured ethnicities (Serbs,Bosinians and others) are taken out similar to the Slovenes, having their cultures extinguished and their people dispersed...Balbo clearly sees no problems with it and I doubt the rest of the Facist upper strata would mind

With the Italians naturally getting involve.

My biggest fear is that a future Italy WON'T interfere. That some future Italian nation will withdraw from the Balkans, and without someone to keep a lid on things, that the Balkans will go even crazier. And that people will miss the iron hand of fascism.

There’s also this more frightening possibility: their won’t be a Balkans war as those disfavoured ethnicities (Serbs,Bosinians and others) are taken out similar to the Slovenes, having their cultures extinguished and their people dispersed...Balbo clearly sees no problems with it and I doubt the rest of the Facist upper strata would mind

Could some future Croatian figure suddenly decide to eliminate Bosnians? Or perhaps decide to "finish the job in Serbia"?

Could some future Croatian figure suddenly decide to eliminate Bosnians? Or perhaps decide to "finish the job in Serbia"?
The Croats would defnitely do that although was more thinking the Italians doing the job, say the Bosnians or Serbs get restive in the 60s or 70s, whats to stop them from just taking a page out of Mussolini’s hand book?

The Croats would defnitely do that although was more thinking the Italians doing the job, say the Bosnians or Serbs get restive in the 60s or 70s, whats to stop them from just taking a page out of Mussolini’s hand book?

Why, international law, of course. We all know international law is always obeyed by every nation on-

HAHAHAHA! Sorry can't say that with a straight face.

However, it was specified that the invasion of Greece was the last "Balkan War" up to date. Naturally doesn't even mean there won't be a TTL Slavic war between Serbia and Croatia or Bulgaria...

Sadly I belive one very big possibilty is that the Italians ship the balkans people under their control to Ethiopia and other colonies to play divide and conquer with the local population.

Naturally doesn't even mean there won't be a TTL Slavic war between Serbia and Croatia or Bulgaria...

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure Mussolini wants peace in his garden, like a Pax Romana. There could be terrorism, coups and ingerences of various degrees, maybe coordinated between the Roman Alliance members, but every major upheaval could be used by the soviets to enter the balkans. At this point, war is simply unwanted in Europe.

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure Mussolini wants peace in his garden, like a Pax Romana. There could be terrorism, coups and ingerences of various degrees, maybe coordinated between the Roman Alliance members, but every major upheaval could be used by the soviets to enter the balkans. At this point, war is simply unwanted in Europe.

Is probable especially if Serbia will turn red and becoming an European North Korea...

I believe it did, I’m just replying to @RyuDrago’s post.

I can picture some ultra-nationalist (backed by Soviet Russia) coming to power in Serbia when (and if) Italy's imperialistic power starts to wane.

Possibly someone who was among the Serbs who were expelled from the former Yugoslavia.

Like Milosevic, he makes noise about wanting to "stop them from beating you." In an attempt to gain revenge for the crimes of Italy and Croatia, he starts brutal wars against Kosovo and the future Croatian state.

I was thinking. Maybe Argentina could get closer to Mussolini’s Italy as more than 60% of Argentinians have Italian ancestry.

Would Peron have a cordial relationship with Mussolini?

He already had simpaties for Mussolini and italian fascism, with not a few similarities with peronism; OTL, Peron simply never stated to be a fascist or a caudillo (he despised being called that). Add that Peron wanted to release Argentina from USA orbit.
Lastly, peronism never was antisemitic. Rather, it helped the newborn Israel, which led to the visit from prime minister Golda Meir in 1951.

ITTL Italy and OTL Argentina are just a match made in heaven.