Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIR DID YOU JUST BALKANIZE THE PLANET BUT PARTITION DESERET

0/10
Deseret is actually in Missouri/Kansas.

OTL Utah/Colorado is a Muslim-majority nation and an ecotopia. If I'm not mistaken, I think they've done something to alter the environment of the area and turned it into a tropical rainforest.

Deleted member 114175

"cyberpunk-utopia-meets-my-ideal-world-meets-extreme-balkanization-meets-eye-pleasing-borders-meets-man-that-red-color-for-Chad-looks-really-good"
I like this genre but I prefer cyberpunk-utopia-meets-my-ideal-world-meets-extreme-balkanization-meets-eye-pleasing-borders-meets-man-that-red-color-for-Chad-looks-really-good-punk-meets-cyberpunk-utopiapunk-meets-my-idealpunk-worldpunk-meets-extremepunk-balkanizationpunk-meets-eyepunk-pleasing-borderpunk-meets-man-that-redpunk-color-for-Chadpunk-looks-really-punk-punk

How did Utah/Colorado become Muslim majority?
Beats me. Probably something with the Japanese forcibly turning Bangladesh Shinto, and those Muslims there fleeing to Burma, then Thailand, then Japanese Indonesia, then California, and then finally Colorado, due to none of those regions being very accepting of Muslims and forcing them into the Rockies, away from civilization.

The nation they've built is prospering nowadays, though, being the site of largest logging industry in North America (since they can grow massive trees in a very short amount of time).

Beats me. Probably something with the Japanese forcibly turning Bangladesh Shinto, and those Muslims there fleeing to Burma, then Thailand, then Japanese Indonesia, then California, and then finally Colorado, due to none of those regions being very accepting of Muslims and forcing them into the Rockies, away from civilization.

The nation they've built is prospering nowadays, though, being the site of largest logging industry in North America (since they can grow massive trees in a very short amount of time).
Between this and how you mentioned that paganism was undergoing a resurgence, have you thought about making a religious map of the world?

Given the degree of pain that has been inflicted on Holocaust survivors and Jews in general over the years by people asking why they didn't fight back or explaining how they would have fought back in their situation, I find this vaguely offensive, like the cartoon movie in which the victims of the Titanic sinking are rescued by a friendly giant octopus and then live happily ever after in Atlantis.

It does seem to semi-imply that of everyone had just fought back we'd have won.

Allah requires these pilgrims in unholy land to conquer the world with logging cartels!

Edit: In retrospect, this sounds very interpretive of a dirty innuendo. And racist.

Given the degree of pain that has been inflicted on Holocaust survivors and Jews in general over the years by people asking why they didn't fight back or explaining how they would have fought back in their situation, I find this vaguely offensive, like the cartoon movie in which the victims of the Titanic sinking are rescued by a friendly giant octopus and then live happily ever after in Atlantis.

Yeah, in hindsight, this was really insensitive. I'm going to delete it before any more damage is done.

Here's a one-off of a scenario diverging with the success of the communist revolution in Germany, which then spread to a number of countries while causing an equal and opposite reaction in others, resulting in Europe going increasingly haywire and radical regimes coming to dominate it over the course of the 1920s.

dd4mqpt-7daa5cfd-299b-4524-a630-bd516a6174e1.png

A decade after the Great War and Great Revolutions, the Communist International is, on paper, the strongest faction in Europe - though in practice it looks more like two rival factions centered around Moscow and Berlin. Caught between them, the Polish Intermarium proposal seemed a more tempting proposal than in OTL, leading to the creation of the strong if unstable and constantly squabbling Intermarium Federation. The communist revolution almost toppled the French Republic, and almost overwhelmed all of Italy rather than just its industrial heartland, but it was met with the formation of new far-right authoritarian regimes, the restoration of the monarchy in France and the adoption of a Fascist dictatorship in Italy. These likeminded regimes soon formed the Latin Pact, which was soon joined by Spain after it adopted Falangism to counteract the anarchist revolution spreading from Barcelona, and then by Portugal. The Balkans have fallen under the sway of the corporatist Agrarian movement, first in Bulgaria and then in rebellious Croatia and rump Serbia, now organized in the so-called Green International. Romania is itself under an Agrarian party but would like to keep its options open (it's still eyeing the Latin Pact, for one) and is therefore reluctant to fully join the International (Bulgaria is in turn reluctant to have it for fear that Romania would displace it as leader of the bloc). The Turks have lost their wars and as a result the Treaty of Sevres and Sykes-Picot Agreement have been fully implemented, leaving Greece in a strong position. Frazzled Britain, with the communist Irish republic based out of Cork right on its doorstep, has adopted a policy of favoring the Latin Pact over the Comintern but is none too happy about it, and is more and more withdrawing from continental politics altogether.

Last edited:
A New Expedition to An Old World
2017.png

A Chilean Antarctic research team came across an odd phenomenon once they went to the South Pole. At the direct spot where the Pole is, lies a 500m-wide hole in the ground that looked like it opened up to a sky identical to their own. They travel through the new land, seeing that it is the South Pole on the other end. When they "retraced" their steps to find their post, they could only find a barren wasteland with no human life. They return to their superiors to report the phenomenon, and this soon broke international news. Dozens of countries fund an expedition to go further. Hundreds of field scientists accompany a dozen of volunteers who have been trained and prepped for the harsh conditions beyond the portal. Weeks go by after the volunteers' departure, and they come back to report a very grave and urgent finding. They came into contact with a whaling ship which its crew told pondered in curiosity to the expedition teams' clothing and mannerisms and told them it is the Year of Our Lord 1848.

Governments across the world come in shock that there is a portal to the world's past. A summit was organized for the world to unanimously agree to never tamper with this past to never tamper with the present. However, little do they know that some changes are already taking effect towards 1848, and these changes are not affecting 2017. Rumors of private expeditions circulate across the internet, and the first major change that has happened was the German Confederation unified in 1848 and never fell apart months after like in history. The Spring of Nations is taking a turn for the most radical.

upload_2019-4-15_14-32-28.png

The War of the Austrian Succession/Seven Years war gets out of control:

1. Ottomans get involved against Austria at British urging
2. Persians get involved against Ottomans at French urging
3. Maratha gets involved against Persians at British urging
4. Bengal, Mysore, Burma get involved against Maratha at French urging
5. Ayutthaya gets involved against Burma/Bengal at British urging
6. Vietnam gets involved against Ayutthaya at French urging
7. Qing gets involved against Vietnam, Burma and Persia at British urging
8. Korea, Japan, Central Asian hordes get involved against Qing at French urging
9. European powers get involved
Britain, Russia, Sardinia, Prussia, Sweden, Portugal, Ottomans, Maratha, Ayutthaya, Qing, Netherlands
vs
France, Austria, Saxony, Poland Lithuania, Denmark Norway, Persia, Bengal, Burma, Japan, Korea, Papal States, Venice, Spain

Who wins?

After many years the war ends inconclusively between the two sides but clear winners in terms of surviving countries.

Ignoring Africa and Indonesia what are the names of these countries? Borders not perfect

1 (pink):
2 (blue):
3 (green):
4 (blue):
5 (brown):
6 (green):
7 (yellow):
8 (purple):
9 (lilac):
10 (green):
11 (blue):
12 (burgundy):
13 (purple):
14 (green):
15 (paper):

upload_2019-4-15_16-34-17.png

1 (pink):
2 (blue):
3 (green):
4 (blue):
5 (brown):
6 (green):
7 (yellow):
8 (purple):
9 (lilac):
10 (green):
11 (blue):
12 (burgundy):
13 (purple):
14 (green):
15 (paper):
  1. United Kingdom
  2. Kingdom of France
  3. Iberian Empire
  4. Sweeden
  5. Russia
  6. Qing
  7. Japan
  8. pass
  9. pass
  10. Ottoman empire
  11. Prussia
  12. Austria
  13. pass
  14. Napels
  15. Papal states
Just my guess

dd4ik1c-3b788277-ca13-49e7-a2e4-e39027594818.png

Updated map of Europe after the German War as part of my Dominions of America timeline, now with subdivisions galore.

Prussia, having lost its western discontiguous territories and large parts of its east, is seeing itself increasingly isolated from the rest of Germany. As Hungary is seeing a great revival in literature and art, subject ethnic groups are seeing the same leading to ethnic tensions. Nationalism is also rising elsewhere in the Balkans under the Ottomans. The revanchist France is seeking to capitalise on its success in Italy, leading to fears in the UK and its client state in the Pyrenees of a second round of expansionary wars after France was defeated in 1803. The German Confederation's bizarre mix of constituent monarchies and republics is leading to tensions between conservative monarchists and republican nationalists in the Nationalversammlung. And in the background, but increasingly becoming louder, a spectre is haunting Europe...
I cannot help but thing that the Military Frontiers of Slavonia, Croatia, and the areas north of Serbia would not have went with the Ungarian republic. The areas were all mostly filled up with heavily armed Croats, Serbs, and Germans. Plus Croatia was in personal union with the Austrians since 1526, only going under Hungary later (sure, they were in personal union a thousand years back, but still) due to the Vienna deciding that backstabbing all the minority groups that supported them against a Hungarisn uprising would be good for stability. That, and Hungary put in writing that it would be a personal union, but they had autonomy in almost everything. If Hungary is a republic here it wouldn't have even the slightest claim on Slavonia. Ahh, and in your timeline will you be having the Dutch, Danes,Westphalian, and Hanoverians snatching up all of those republics on their shores? Also surprising there aren't places taking the title of Electorate, Margraviate, or Grand Duchy. I also think that the area you have Austria take south of Wurttenburg might be cut off from the rest of Austria by mountains. Also, was Sweden taking Bornholm deliberate? Think I read somewhere that after the revolt there, in which the Swedes gave back the right to the he island and the Danes gave up the estates of noblemen in Scania, that the Danish king signed some agreement saying he was unable to ever cede away the islands. Hardly something the Swedes would need anyways, unless they fear Prussian invasions.

After many years the war ends inconclusively between the two sides but clear winners in terms of surviving countries.

Ignoring Africa and Indonesia what are the names of these countries? Borders not perfect

1 (pink):
2 (blue):
3 (green):
4 (blue):
5 (brown):
6 (green):
7 (yellow):
8 (purple):
9 (lilac):
10 (green):
11 (blue):
12 (burgundy):
13 (purple):
14 (green):
15 (paper):

upload_2019-4-15_16-34-17-png.453410

That's quite an interesting scenario. As for suggestions,

1. United Kingdom
2. France
3. Spain (assuming they invaded and took control of Portugal) or Iberia
4. Sweden/Scandinavia/New Kalmar Union?
5. Russia
6. Qing China
7. Japan
8. Assuming Thailand created that state, it could be the Ayuttahaya Kingdom
9. Bharat, maybe? (the original Hindi name for India)
10. Ottoman Empire
11. Prussia/North German Confederation
12. Austrian Empire
13. Balkan Confederation? Maybe something that combines the major ethnicities (like the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes but for the entire Balkans)
14. Kingdom of Two Sicilies
15. Papal states if unified by them, something like Kingdom of Italy or Republic of Italy if not

Status
Not open for further replies.