Alternate Muppet Show guest stars

For the movie stars, I just looked up the IMBD list of 1970s movie stars, selecting for aging well and showing some ability to do comedy. However, the problem with the list is that it is an "A" list and that most of them would have been too big for the show. I could see getting Teri Garr, Maryl Streep, or Jeff Bridges.
I could see Charlton Heston having fun on the show,

Another that just came to mind is Bette Davis.
She did a number of Disney films in the late 70's and early 80's so she might have been will to do the show.
I could see the muppets doing overacted melodramas skits and David rolling her eyes.

nbcman

Donor
How about NASA does a PR stunt and has one of the Astronauts who were going to fly on the first Mission in April 1981 or possibly the first Female Astronaut (Sally Ride) make an appearance on Pigs in Space?

Carrol O'Connor. There could be a nice wordfight between him and Statler& Astoria, where he outgrumps them.
(Thought of this one when i saw Jean Stapleton was already on the list)
And how about David Bowie, in a right incarnation he outmuppets every other muppet on the show.

I remember the 60 Minutes visit to the Muppet Show and Dan Rather interviewing Ms Piggy...

one comment made (I think by Jim Henson) was that some of the performers understood the Muppets and some didn't...

I will take some exception to the OP's unqualified description of muppet guest stars as "B-list".

Just off the top of my head, Peter Sellers, Debbie Harry, and Elton John were NOT B-list when they appeared on the Muppet Show. I suppose Sellers might be considered more of a specialized taste, but that's not the same thing as saying he was past his prime, ready for a guest-spot on Fantasy Island. The Pink Panther films were huge, and Being There certainly solidified his art-house cred.

I'd also mention Alice Cooper, though I do seem to recall that by the mid-80s, he was regarded as a has-been. Not sure what his status was at the time of his Muppet Show appearance.

Something I would have liked to see would have been a special for Halloween with him and Vincent Price.

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
For a long time, I thought Minnie Riperton had an episode (unfortunately, not). At least I always associated Les Fleurs with an epic Muppets performance.
Also, David Bowie (he had a duet with Bing Crosby on a CBS christmas show in 1977, so why not?)

The young Kate Bush or Peter Gabriel (probably both perfect fits) probably were not well known in the US back then.

Marcel Marceau. He could have done a routine with some of the large Muppets and Gonzo could have attempted to add mime to one of his performances.

William Shatner would fit perfectly in pigs in space, romancing miss piggy.

Indeed, I got Shatner Nimoy and Kelly in this fanfiction with them as their characters, possibly as publicity for a movie. Without the allusions to future movies, quite possibly what could have happened, Shatner bungling Space Oddity by bringing the capsule home safely with Spock and McCoy doing their normal banter about the song, McCoy and Veterinarian's Hospital with of course the final joke about time travel because the skit has a paradox, Kermit Romancing Miss Piggy as you said, and so on.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would have been interesting as a basketball star and getting into acting after Airplane. Snuggums, I think he was the 9-foot tall Muppet, playing basketball against him.

Edit to add: Dick Clark doing a Muppet New Year's Eve special would have been fun - I forget what network the Muppets were on so it might have depended on whether his were trademarked and there was a contract with that network.

Last edited: