Status
Not open for further replies.
Purple is indeed a nice color. Brown is also a nice color....

(Dunno yet for which country I could use this)

20180209   ____09.png

Just mixing red and blue??

Not as easy as you'd think: a lot of dyes in the ancient and medieval periods were made from natural pigments from flowers, spices, plants, and some select animal products... but purple was not one of those colors commonly found in the wild. In fact, the only known natural source available in the Mediterranean sphere was a species of clam-shells found only in Phoenicia (i.e. modern-day Israel/Palestine, Lebanon, and Syria); and of course, harvesting said clam-shells, grinding them up, and extracting the pigments from them was excruciatingly difficult and expensive, so the only people who were able to afford it were filthy-rich monarchs of various kingdoms.

Phoenician purple as a result became legendary for its rarity and expense, and the color purple only became commonly available to the masses upon the invention of chemical processes that allowed for cheap synthetic dyes.

Dorozhand

Banned
Not as easy as you'd think: a lot of dyes in the ancient and medieval periods were made from natural pigments from flowers, spices, plants, and some select animal products... but purple was not one of those colors commonly found in the wild. In fact, the only known natural source available in the Mediterranean sphere was a species of clam-shells found only in Phoenicia (i.e. modern-day Israel/Palestine, Lebanon, and Syria); and of course, harvesting said clam-shells, grinding them up, and extracting the pigments from them was excruciatingly difficult and expensive, so the only people who were able to afford it were filthy-rich monarchs of various kingdoms.

Phoenician purple as a result became legendary for its rarity and expense, and the color purple only became commonly available to the masses upon the invention of chemical processes that allowed for cheap synthetic dyes.

Right. The color Fuchsia was almost unknown to much of humanity before the invention of the aniline dyes. The flag I posted above is meant to be in a timeline with an earlier and less secretive invention of cudbear, allowing a purple flag to be mass produced for the first time. I suspect that purple would become quite popular in flags ITTL and purpure might be embraced by heraldists as one of the basic colors.

I see why designers of earlier times could use only a limited number of colors, but after the invention of chemical dyes the whole spectrum became open for graphic use and I like to embrace that.

Last edited:
Moar Venus, Moar Overheaven.

This here is the flag of the Republic of Oziva, a Venusian colony originally established by Mozambique. Yes, I was inspired by the flag of the Belarusian SSR, but I think it looks quite striking.

upload_2019-4-12_21-4-37.png

Alright, that's enough Venus for a while. TIME FOR MARS.

This here is the flag of New Albion, a federation of British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealander colonies (Darwin, Arcadia, Uluru and Wheroteao, respectively) around Hellas Planitia. Naturally, the flag recalls the ensigns of the old British Empire, but replaces the Union Jack with the flag of the Commonwealth of Nations (in Overhaven's TL, one of the secondary POD's has Britain never joining the EU, and instead builds up a much beefier version of the Commonwealth). Defacing the red ensign is a modified version of the mission logo for the Darwin One, with "New Albion" replacing "Darwin One", and the year 1984 (the year Darwin One touched down) added on.

The constellations are actually just random stars, but if anyone knows of any constellations relevant to the Red Planet, I'll probably rearrange the stars to reflect those.

upload_2019-4-12_21-11-18.png

Another Mars flag. This time for EuroMars, a federation of (takes deep breath) French, Irish, Belgian, Dutch, Italian, (West) German, Spanish, Portuguese, Luxembourger, Swiss, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Greek, Austrian and Finnish colonies on Mars, established via the European Space Agency. I'll probably end up making flags for each of the individual EuroMars colonies. The hoplite helmet symbolizes Mars/Ares, contrasted with the laurel wreath of peace, and surrounded by the twelve stars of Europe.

I've got two versions. One with and one without the red stripe. Which one's better?

upload_2019-4-12_21-36-43.png

And finally, the Kasai Federation, a Japanese colonial polity.

upload_2019-4-12_21-59-22.png

The House Divided. Flags of the 2nd American Civil War. 4.
2560px-Flag_of_the_New_United_States.svg.png

The New United States of America.
In the early days of the conflict, before Martial Law was officially declared US Army sergeant Nicholas Warden was stationed in Philadelphia to assist the heavily militarised police force. As the situation worsen, becoming more chaotic, Warden would find him and his men fighting a war on many fronts between both the Left and the Right. After the fall of America, he would find himself taking charge, rallying hundreds of soldiers and civilians to his side, fighting a war, first to secure and maintain order within the city of Philadelphia from Alt Right forces such as United States Patriots Society and Alt Left forces like Pacem/Bellum.
They would find themselves working together with UN Peacekeeping forces along with smaller, allied insurgencies to quell the presence of both the USPS and Pacem/Bellum from the "North Eastern Front" forming what was dubbed the New United States of America. The flag above was first flown upon victory in the Battle of Philadelphia, also known as the Securing of Philadelphia, after three long days of heavy fighting. The flag featured four stars, representing the four corners of the globe which came together to make the United States, and to harking back to Americas past of a country founded and made by immigrants.

After victory in the North East, the NUSA would declare a "War of Reunification" against the forces which divided the country.
Many would dub the conflict as a war for Americas future.

Last edited:
Another short flag entry tonight, nothing particularly special, just a couple variants for an East African Federation redesign based on one I found on r/Vexillology, and another that's basically just a cool Communist emblem based on ones from some previous flag designs:

First off, the East African Federation variants: while both were based on this EAF redesign I found on r/Vexillology - namely the duller shade of the blue field and the different stripe proportions - the top one here:

qsQEALn.png

Sticks more closely to the IRL design's color arrangement for the stripes, while the second one:

6zH5Syc.png

Is more closer to the r/Vexillology design I linked to above, swapping out which stripes have which colors.

I made both versions because I couldn't decide which one I liked better: the top one for being more accurate to the IRL flag, or the bottom one for being an accurate recreation of the r/Vexillology flag. The arrangements of the colored stripes 'pop out' differently to one another, and both patterns have their appeal, so I guess it's up to personal preference for whichever one is more pleasing to the eye.

7YvjzKs.png

The last flag for tonight's post is just a continuation of the "Fist & Gear" logo I've used previously in a few flags (both of said flags being for African countries - Nigeria and Chad, specifically); the only real difference is that I've placed a red/gold star behind it to match the "Hammer & Sickle on a Red Star" design theme that's common with many of my Communist-themed flags.

That's all for tonight, sorry I don't have anything more substantial to share; I think the well's run dry for me when it come to flag designs. Until next time, if any, I guess.

Ah, this design again. It is nice to see it still travels well. Certainly better than the OTL mashup.

The OTL/IRL flag isn't that bad, actually, just drop the seal like I did and you'd have a pretty good flag.

Anyways, something I just realized, I still don't have any Communist or Fascist flag designs for United Hispaniola or the Caribbean Union/Federation/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. And on the same note, I don't have a Communist design for the East African Federation either (I already made a Fascist design earlier).

Anybody got any suggestions for some? The Caribbean in particular I'm thinking of maybe a Pirate-themed design (not sure whether it'd fall into the Communist or Fascist category, though).

The House Divided. Flags of the 2nd American Civil War. 4.
View attachment 453045
The New United States of America.
In the early days of the conflict, before Martial Law was officially declared US Army sergeant Nicholas Warden was stationed in Philadelphia to assist the heavily militarised police force. As the situation worsen, becoming more chaotic, Warden would find him and his men fighting a war on many fronts between both the Left and the Right. After the fall of America, he would find himself taking charge, rallying hundreds of soldiers and civilians to his side, fighting a war, first to secure and maintain order within the city of Philadelphia from Alt Right forces such as United States Patriots Society and Alt Left forces like Pacem/Bellum.
They would find themselves working together with UN Peacekeeping forces along with smaller, allied insurgencies to quell the presence of both the USPS and Pacem/Bellum from the "North Eastern Front" forming what was dubbed the New United States of America. The flag above was first flown upon victory in the Battle of Philadelphia, also known as the Securing of Philadelphia, after three long days of heavy fighting. The flag featured four stars, representing the four corners of the globe which came together to make the United States, and to harking back to Americas past of a country founded and made by immigrants.

After victory in the North East, the NUSA would declare a "War of Reunification" against the forces which divided the country.
Many would dub the conflict as a war for Americas future.
Ya silly fashie-Nazi, don't ya know that "Alt Left" is a term invented by deh Alt-Right to label anyone who disagreez with dem? and that dem and deh Russkies are in league with killer clowns and I identify az an ultra-sexual, multi-binary white-black penguin-chopper?.

(those were sarcasm in case anyone gets in a tizzy about them)

Joking aside, I'm quite impressed that you made your take on a 2nd American Civil War very multi-faceted than just "right vs left", perhaps making it more nuanced than "right iz evil" (even if there might be a bit of a bias but whatever).

Joking aside, I'm quite impressed that you made your take on a 2nd American Civil War very multi-faceted than just "right vs left", perhaps making it more nuanced than "right iz evil" (even if there might be a bit of a bias but whatever).
Debatably the Right were considered more of a threat, due to them being more armed, and less willing to negotiate unless things were on their terms. Although there were exceptions in many cases for both sides.

Another Mars flag for Overheaven.

upload_2019-4-19_21-50-32.png

This is the flag of the Republic of Cydonia, a polity on a post-terraforming Mars, inhabited mostly by the Barsu people - humans who believe they possess the souls of dead aliens, who totally had a civilization on Mars millions of years ago. They’re a kooky bunch, but mostly harmless. They’ve “restored” the pyramids and ruins long-reputed (by conspiracy theorists) to be in Mars’ famous Cydonia region, as well as made the “Face on Mars” a reality; it's one of the more famous tourist destinations on Mars in the 23rd century, along with the weird Edgar Rice Boroughs stuff the Barsu insist upon in their society.

Anyway.

The central symbol on the flag of Cydonia was originally seen by the prophetess Aelita in her many “spirit visions” and is known as the Zashra. The Zashra means “renewal” and “reincarnation” and was adopted by the Barsu movement very early on in the 2020’s, among Aelita’s earliest online fans. (OOC: this symbol was allegedly seen by police officer Lonnie Zamora, on the hatch of a UFO that landed near Socorro, New Mexico in 1964).

The green-red-green stripes represent the three eras of Martian history according to pseudoscientific Barsu historiography. The first green stripe represents Ancient Mars; the red stripe stands for the “Barren Period” of the Red Planet; and the second green stripe represents the current era of human life and terraforming on Mars. The central red disk represents Mars itself, the eternal red planet, always renewed and revitalized.

The text on the flag says “BARSTEH VA TSUCHA”, meaning “Mars eternal” in Barsun (a conlang invented by Aeilita). The slogan is presented backwards and forwards, and in black and white, to represent the universality of this statement. (OOC: the text is based off of the “Martian alphabet” derived from the alleged automatic writings of Hélène Smith, a late 19th century French psychic medium).

Status
Not open for further replies.