McGoverning

For anyone who's curious, you can actually read all of Work in America here:

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED070738.pdf

It's quite a thing. For one you have people in 1972 - 1972! The year my older-than-dirt self was born - talking quite bluntly and like they're going to do something about it, about the fact that housewives are just as much workers as their husbands who go out in the world, that maybe they should get a slice of the pension pie from their husbands' employers for making it possible for him to work, or another kind of income (DEM! O! GRANT! DEM! O! GRANT!) that recognizes their contribution to both society and GDP. Lots of other stuff besides, but we are in the business of alternate history around here and just getting those ideas in full circulation, rather than dying in silent obscurity, are some Big Damn Butterflies.

John Farson

Banned
Having now read the chapter, there's quite a lot to unpack. Overall economic policy and trying to keep the oil crisis from blowing up the US and world economy, Lee Iacocca and HF2 having their palaver that may or may not have far-reaching consequences for the US automobile industry, and even a glimpse at Silicon Valley and the fledgling computer industry (featuring Woz, and the "other" Steve apparently "visiting" India at this time), with the McGovern Administration and improved Indo-US relations seemingly already affecting that.

With regard to the automobile industry, I don't know if the unfolding events will help it in the long run, but seeing what happened to it OTL, it's hard for me to see it being any worse off ITTL! And next chapter there will be more events abroad, apparently...

This chapter does a wonderful job in tying together a lot of disparate threads, but one part that really makes me happy is how technological advancement has taken a massive leap forward now because the right officials are in the right spot. Government isn't frozen as it was under late-stage collapse Nixon, and so GUI-based computers get a big head start, along with networking through DARPANET (IIRC, ARPANET didn't get the name change until 1980). This will blast a big hole through DOS, and probably keep Gates/Allen from debuting Windows without a patent lawsuit. Definitely means Apple ain't happening on this side of the pond, although Jobs being the Svengali of India's IT Revolution will be quite the ripple. The downside? If McGovern doesn't win a second term, the GOP could completely accelerate the downfall of the union worker by putting all this funded tech towards lining the wallets of their well-heeled donor class through automation.

Also, a solid A+ for @Yes in capturing the technology details accurately, pleasing my little developer heart.

Great update, love the economic wonkery.

Unrelated, but there are two Chapter 11's in the Threadmarks, think that's a minor error.

Great update, love the economic wonkery.

Unrelated, but there are two Chapter 11's in the Threadmarks, think that's a minor error.
Good catch! I'll go fix that. So my thought that I must be farther along with this contraption than that was not misplaced, then...

Oooh, I'm happy to see Humphrey-Hawkins mentioned and talked about. It's not often you see Humphrey-Hawkins mentioned in 70s TLs. :D

labour-leader-michael-foot-1980-1983.jpg

Ah, poor old Michael. He really was a man out of time, last of the Bevanites when the left of the party was making its final shift into New Leftism/Trotskyism (depending on whether or not you worked for the Daily Heil). Still, one of the best speakers the party ever had, and it'd be nice to see him get a fairer shake TTL.

Another impressive post, with an envy-inducing level of complexity and a ready fluency with concepts hither and yon.

This heavy focus on innovation and prepping the future economy has me wondering if it might not be in the cards to move up the SBIR program (or something similar) a decade or so. There's absolutely nothing in between the idea and realization unique to OTL or contingent on another 6-8 years of corporate r&d cultural development.

When people talk about higher ed and the economy, it's generally assumed that the flagships and the elites are doing fine and the 2-years need support, but no one gives much thought to the regional unis. By this point in time states have moved to the university system model. You've got a lot of second and third tier schools out there, to be stereotypical about it, pumping out nurses and teachers but mostly just getting by without a plan. It sounds like Gavin's proposing a comprehensive policy to promote a more diffuse, regional kind of prosperity. Smaller schools that serve more localized needs- the most prominent national examples will be your Cal State schools- are a perfect partner for this. And if you're going to be creating an industrial policy that keeps more business in distressed urban areas, in second-tier metros, in small towns and micropolitan areas, creating funding mechanisms for them to take advantage of "home-grown" labs and brain trusts seems like a great way to keep costs low. And it provides another anchor to keep those jobs in place.

Also love the look in on Ford. I've got some orphaned census data (I pulled it out for my own research and didn't save the link) showing about 30% of households with two cars in 1970. Given that a substantial number of these households are going to be very well off and an over-representative number are going to be those living in isolated areas with no alternative but to have multiple cars, I wonder if the Ford brass would be treating the two-car-to-one-car problem as a quintessentially "middle-American" market problem to solve. It's still smart business.

The teenagers are going to love the van. If you thought the VW Bus had enough room for your purposes, you crazy kids are going to get some serious use out of the Carousal.

I had to stop reading and jump in a country music hole when the Econoline came up. Subject of one of my favorite songs in the "left my dead-beat man and hit the highway" subgenre. Imagine what she could do with the Carrousel! With liberalizing divorce laws and all this space, you've got no excuse not to get the hell out of there with the kids, girl!

Economic wonkery isn't exactly my area of specialty, but I'd read an update about phone book production and distribution regulations. XD

It’s a guaranteed domestic market for somebody, US or Bethlehem or another one of the big outfits.

*ears perk up*

And the Reverend downright relished putting the sheer unargued blackness of the problem with tax credits and inflation controls in front of McGovern’s earnest brahmins.

As well he should. Say what you will about Jackson, but any administration willing to sit down with him seriously is a keeper.

The best way the general who had tramped through Normandy at the front of his paratroopers could put it, on consideration, was that multinationals had evolved in such a way that they functioned as states not only within a state, but states too that were outside of states. They had their own reasons of state, rather as the Treasury Secretary liked to put it about the “technostructure” in his books. Their own way of thinking. And that could cross the Iron Curtain, or truck with governments that had national interests entirely distinct from or conflicting with the country where a given multinational was based yet not in conflict with the multinational’s arrangement of its resources or its profit motive.

I can't help but be reminded of Coll's Private Empire and its discourse on Exxon-Mobil.

Before we get into any lengthy discussion of anything, some fun pics. First some demonstrations of all that Ghia got up to with OTL's Prima concept model (McGoverning's may vary a little, at least in the sense that they're trying very specifically to get a fuel-efficient drive train under the hood, but the exterior contours are likely close enough to the same):

1976_Ghia_Ford_Prima_Concept_Car_Coupe_02.jpg

1976_Ghia_Ford_Prima_Concept_Car_Fastback_02.jpg

1976_Ghia_Ford_Prima_Concept_Car_Pickup.jpg

1976_Ghia_Ford_Prima_Concept_Car_Station_Wagon.jpg

Also, while Ford did do a rough-and-ready mod of the Econoline to serve as a Carrousel demonstrator, this is the best-known design-team sketch image of what they really wanted the end product to look like:

1972-ford-carousel-minivan-concept-car-2.jpg

carrousel.jpg

It's a wonderful demonstration of what the Seventies were like: some vestigial vapors of the Sixties, a preview of what would hit the mainstream in the Eighties, and a certain odd but interesting vibe of its own.

Last but not least the Xerox Alto, original recipe:

Xerox-Alto.jpg

There at the lower right corner of the keyboard is Stanford Research Institute's original three-key mouse. Note the GUI monitor is in portrait, not landscape. Butterflies indeed.

There at the lower right corner of the keyboard is Stanford Research Institute's original three-key mouse. Note the GUI monitor is in portrait, not landscape. Butterflies indeed.
Maybe not as much as you might think. The fundamental reason why monitors are in landscape is because televisions are in landscape, and until relatively recently televisions were a much larger market than computers (and smartphones and so on). So the choice, for computer makers, was between saving money by piggybacking on work done for televisions, to the point of actually using a television as a display device as in the late 1970s and early 1980s, or building a more costly custom display. Given how people on both the business and customer sides tend to act, you can appreciate that the latter never really got anywhere.

The Alto being more successful might embed the portrait display (which does exist IOTL, it's just not common) as a standard for workstations, at least some kinds of workstations, but it probably won't make much of a difference to the consumer market, and may very well die out as either proper workstations (that is, with all sorts of custom hardware that's architecturally different from that used in consumer machines) are overtaken by beefed-up consumer machines, or as landscape monitors get big enough to display multiple portrait windows of a similar size side-by-side (as you can do on the 27-inch iMac, for instance).

This chapter does a wonderful job in tying together a lot of disparate threads, but one part that really makes me happy is how technological advancement has taken a massive leap forward now because the right officials are in the right spot. Government isn't frozen as it was under late-stage collapse Nixon, and so GUI-based computers get a big head start, along with networking through DARPANET (IIRC, ARPANET didn't get the name change until 1980). This will blast a big hole through DOS, and probably keep Gates/Allen from debuting Windows without a patent lawsuit. Definitely means Apple ain't happening on this side of the pond, although Jobs being the Svengali of India's IT Revolution will be quite the ripple. The downside? If McGovern doesn't win a second term, the GOP could completely accelerate the downfall of the union worker by putting all this funded tech towards lining the wallets of their well-heeled donor class through automation.

Also, a solid A+ for @Yes in capturing the technology details accurately, pleasing my little developer heart.

Thanks very much! It is a substantively earlier kickoff for a lot of very important technology, from GUI systems to LANs to mice to lots of other goodness. It is, also, driven by an interventionist policy from the US government to promote promising tech and companies that either choose to move ahead with it or prove persuadable. Programming languages will, probably, be an interesting issue. Also (1) that this significantly outflanks IBM's development of desktop systems, doesn't mean IBM is out of the game but it does mean they will need to move hard and pick their battles in order to catch up, and (2) that the McGovern administration at the moment favors support to large US corporations that have the R&D resources to push ahead, like Xerox who here has the chance to spread its influence across a series of interlinked business and computing systems. Not the small-is-beautiful entrepreneurial Apple Corp. approach (some of us are so damn old we remember when Apple actually was an entrepreneurially-minded underdog rather than a Bond-villain supercorp), instead an extension of the post war Big Science/Big Business nexus rather than a rebuke of it. At least so far. We'll see where Xerox actually goes with their system and what sorts of people emerge as alternatives or outright competitors.

Likewise, Other Steve's fortunes are very much up in the air but he is definitely in an interesting place where butterflies are set to flap vigorously. Besides the specific contours this helps give the TL, I was thrilled to learn a while back that Jobs had spent most of OTL's 1974 in India for a separate reason. As a Child of the Seventies it put me in mind of one of the best lines in the original Muppet Movie, where Kermit and Fozzie first encounter Gonzo and his chicken ladyfriends. Gonzo tells them, "I'm headed for the film capital of the world - Bombay, India!" The multi-layered joke Henson and Frank Oz played with that line is that most Americans would chuckle at the notion that some place in the Global South was a bigger movie mill than Hollywood but, in terms of raw productivity (number of films per year, people employed, production companies, etc.) Bollywood was already a bigger operation in terms of physical capital (not dollars and cents, of course, but it had hit its inflection point there too) than La-la-land by 1979 when The Muppet Movie came out.

Another impressive post, with an envy-inducing level of complexity and a ready fluency with concepts hither and yon.

You're very kind, and entirely appreciated.

This heavy focus on innovation and prepping the future economy has me wondering if it might not be in the cards to move up the SBIR program (or something similar) a decade or so. There's absolutely nothing in between the idea and realization unique to OTL or contingent on another 6-8 years of corporate r&d cultural development.

Keenly observed. An earlier SBIR does look to be on the cards as the administration seeks to promote innovation and also speaks to the wing of its supporters who favor decentralization and the small-is-beautiful approach and the belief that new discoveries are more likely from dedicated and creative small operations. Also, and this is a marginal spoiler at best, we will run across a TTL fact in the next chapter that the relevant senators from Indiana and Kansas are moved to act much more quickly when faced with substantive leaps in computer science and the like abroad, so we get an earlier (mid- rather than late-Seventies) Bayh-Dole Act on patent holding by public research institutions and the like. That likewise will encourage faster work in some fields.

At the same time, there are some very important people in the administration's economic-policy hierarchy - particularly Ken Galbraith and Lester Thurow, but others too - who belong to the Bigger is Better school. (That Atlantic piece about the loss of economic populism in Democratic politics is a bit reductive about Galbraith, the degree to which he preferred larger, centralized economic units was more about the fact he reckoned they offered fewer and clearer targets with which unions could bargain collectively, and that they would be easier to (1) regulate and (2) occasionally nationalize, but he did tend to dismiss the arguments for breaking down those structures into smaller units as out of touch with the general trends of postwar society and economics.) This is a present tension and potentially a coming conflict, both within the administration and between the administration and an admixture of both enemies and allies out in the body politic, over whether it's more efficient and effective to promote big, centralized organizations that affect a lot of people (as workers or as consumers and citizens) very directly or whether such concentrated structures should be busted up and more power and activity should be decentralized. Before we start booing the centralizers, we should remember that at this point it was administratively easier for unions with mass membership to bargain collectively in industries where there were fewer corporate boards they had to tackle, that while some ownership in those companies did concentrate personal wealth it was (1) not to the same degree as these days in relation to average worker salaries and (2) was much more heavily taxed, and that Big Business sometimes produced a few geniuses too - fiberoptic cable came out of the Corning labs around the same time as the Alto came out of Xerox's operation at PARC, and by the mid-Seventies a team at Bell Labs among whom was numbered my surviving maternal uncle had mapped out how to recapitalize America's phone networks with fiberoptic efficiently, Ma Bell just didn't want to spend the money during the Stagflation Recession. There are pluses and minuses on both sides. But we may well see factions start to form among the McGoverners and their fellow travelers about whether it is more important to reform society's institutions as they are to benefit the most people in the most ways, or to revitalize democratic citizenship by going at many of those institutions with a hammer before they (the institutions) turn even harder on that citizenry.

When people talk about higher ed and the economy, it's generally assumed that the flagships and the elites are doing fine and the 2-years need support, but no one gives much thought to the regional unis. By this point in time states have moved to the university system model. You've got a lot of second and third tier schools out there, to be stereotypical about it, pumping out nurses and teachers but mostly just getting by without a plan. It sounds like Gavin's proposing a comprehensive policy to promote a more diffuse, regional kind of prosperity. Smaller schools that serve more localized needs- the most prominent national examples will be your Cal State schools- are a perfect partner for this. And if you're going to be creating an industrial policy that keeps more business in distressed urban areas, in second-tier metros, in small towns and micropolitan areas, creating funding mechanisms for them to take advantage of "home-grown" labs and brain trusts seems like a great way to keep costs low. And it provides another anchor to keep those jobs in place.

Another good call! Education is kind of standing in the corner waiting for a dance at this point, in terms of plot threads, but that will not carry on forever. As the administration (1) begins to work at a truly joined-up (as the Brits would say) economic/industrial policy and (2) looks more deeply at how workers can renew and reinvent themselves over their working lives and how people with less access to opportunity in the workforce can get a leg up when the administration can't manage - legislatively - just to redistribute enough income to compensate for that limited access, education looks less and less like an accessory or an afterthought and more like a schwerpunkt, the place where you strike a decisive blow.

Also love the look in on Ford. I've got some orphaned census data (I pulled it out for my own research and didn't save the link) showing about 30% of households with two cars in 1970. Given that a substantial number of these households are going to be very well off and an over-representative number are going to be those living in isolated areas with no alternative but to have multiple cars, I wonder if the Ford brass would be treating the two-car-to-one-car problem as a quintessentially "middle-American" market problem to solve. It's still smart business.

It is, they're coming at it in this two-pronged fashion looking to help two-car people maximize their automotive return on investment, help people who've slipped through the two-car cracks back towards one in the strained economy also get the most for their buck, and with the whole Prima idea offered up ways for people who can only manage the one car get as close to exactly what they seek (this was another important selling point for the Japanese makers and Volkswagen et al. besides mpg) as possible.

The teenagers are going to love the van. If you thought the VW Bus had enough room for your purposes, you crazy kids are going to get some serious use out of the Caroussel.

Indeed. You could mount an entire set of speakers in the rear cargo area, or avoid the ... angularity of automotive lovin' for hormonal teens, or even put one up on blocks and run a whole grow-op out of the back like a vast Detroit-built greenhouse. That's not to mention how many cases of Schlitz you could cart to the Foghat concert if it's just you and your S.O. in the front row. The possibilities are, like, endless, man.

I had to stop reading and jump in a country music hole when the Econoline came up. Subject of one of my favorite songs in the "left my dead-beat man and hit the highway" subgenre. Imagine what she could do with the Carrousel! With liberalizing divorce laws and all this space, you've got no excuse not to get the hell out of there with the kids, girl!

Nancy Griffiths is love, Nancy Griffiths is life. I remember when that hit vinyl, and seeing her first performance of it on Austin City Limits promoting the relevant album. An absolute classic. Yes it does have a different look - the credits of the original version of One Day at a Time will look rather different if Bonnie Franklin and her girls hit the road for a new life in a spacious, sturdy, homesteading Carrousel rather than that beat-up little compact. Less like Orphan Annie-style "cockeyed optimism will see us through" and more like a modern-day wagon train to a new frontier. Context is key.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The fundamental reason why monitors are in landscape is because televisions are in landscape, and until relatively recently televisions were a much larger market than computers (and smartphones and so on). So the choice, for computer makers, was between saving money by piggybacking on work done for televisions, to the point of actually using a television as a display device as in the late 1970s and early 1980s, or building a more costly custom display.

This is quite true, as you say almost prohibitively so for the "appliance computer" market.

The Alto being more successful might embed the portrait display (which does exist IOTL, it's just not common) as a standard for workstations, at least some kinds of workstations, but it probably won't make much of a difference to the consumer market, and may very well die out as either proper workstations (that is, with all sorts of custom hardware that's architecturally different from that used in consumer machines) are overtaken by beefed-up consumer machines, or as landscape monitors get big enough to display multiple portrait windows of a similar size side-by-side (as you can do on the 27-inch iMac, for instance).

To the degree that the combo of OTL!PARC personnel and the Great and Powerful Woz streamlining an Alto II that corporations can actually afford, it probably does give portrait a leg up in the business and engineering/scientific computing world. Both as a distinctive for people "in the know" of how more complex and multifarious networked workstations actually work, and as an alpha-chimp social signifier in the field: the guys with the big corporations, who have lots of money and people assume know best what they're doing, have portrait GUIs so we should too because that's the gold standard. But that seems likely to bifurcate just as you say, into portrait for business and other scientific/technical computing, and "appliance computer" models where the ability to either jack into an existing TV set or have a monitor that works like one gives you ease of integration, for people who are integrating a personal computer into their lives and space, rather than integrating their lives and space into the computer-science world. In the long term you've hit also on the thing most likely to do in the portrait setup: once you can have screens tiered Windows-style that can cascade either vertically or horizontally within a display, landscape works better for a human viewer. In the shorter term, an Alto II that hits the business market in a big way seems likely to be rather like Betamax, the high-quality aspirational standard not yet displaced by the sheer volume of rough-and-ready workables in the larger lower-end market, if not even like compact discs, the best available technology until they get what is intuitively a more universal solution up to full snuff.

Another fascinating chapter! I might add that even if portrait monitors do wind up getting replaced in the long run by landscape, if they get to have a heyday it might make for a useful "this is taking place in the 70s/early 80s" shorthand in future entertainment.

Quick question - does anybody happen to remember which state had the narrowest McGovern victory TTL’s 1972, and by how much George won it?

Thanks for the question! I'll have to fire up Scrivener to see the details but that'd be either Missouri or Maine. Off the top of my head probably Maine, it was a squeaker.

Of course the "more diffuse, regional prosperity" (bolded for emphasis in the quote) is really a fascinating potential-thing. One because it could become a political football when you have conservative reaction against the "McGoverning" approach, two because it could become a useful tool for the McGoverners especially with governors and in the House of Representatives in the same way that defense contractors like to salt strategic congressional districts with subsidiaries and suppliers for their big projects, in order to guarantee a positive vote. Also it can affect the potential sources of innovative patents, the politics of state budgets, the location and effect (where do the grads go?) of public medical schools, the nature and fortunes of various NCAA athletic conferences, trends in urban renewal and in architecture (who builds what kinds of new buildings for these regionalized economic engines) to Electoral College distribution over the decades, to transport infrastructure (commuter rail transit, major highway connectors, the location of airline hubs, etc.), to where new dominant businesses emerge from, to all kinds of other cool stuff.

Another fascinating chapter! I might add that even if portrait monitors do wind up getting replaced in the long run by landscape, if they get to have a heyday it might make for a useful "this is taking place in the 70s/early 80s" shorthand in future entertainment.

Nice point! Yeah, it's the kind of thing that'll put the wind up McGoverningverse hipsters' nethers - "hey look! It's an NEC portrait-aspect [INSERT TECHNOBABBLE MAKE AND MODEL DESIGNATION] monitor! 1978 says you look fabulous! Of course only [INSERT SNIDE FACTOID] which not many people know..."