Alternate Electoral Maps III

2018_2017.png

The first round of an election for the throne of the King of Maine was held on June 12, 2018 (June 12, 2017 for most of the rest of the world) concurrent with elections to the Convention on Reinstating the Electoral College. This was the first royal election after the Convention on Abolishing the Electoral College voted to abolish the electoral college in early 2017. Seven English candidates, four French candidates, and one bilingual candidate ran in the first round. All candidates scoring less than the vote for "None of the Above" were removed for the second round, leaving behind Moudi, Mills, Hayes, and Ayton.

genusmap.php

Fmr. Pres. Jimmy Carter (D-GA)/Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) - 374 EVs, 41.2%
Fmr. Pres. George H. W. Bush (R-TX)/Gov. John Kasich (R-OH) 147 EVS, 39.5%
H. Ross Perot (I-TX)/Fmr. Gov. Jesse Ventura (I-MN) - 17 EVs, 17.9%

genusmap.php

Errr the Party colors are mixed it up. Make Carter Red and Bush blue.

genusmap.php

This makes me very happy. I would prefer Carter to Trump or Clinton

The first round of an election for the throne of the King of Maine was held on June 12, 2018 (June 12, 2017 for most of the rest of the world) concurrent with elections to the Convention on Reinstating the Electoral College. This was the first royal election after the Convention on Abolishing the Electoral College voted to abolish the electoral college in early 2017. Seven English candidates, four French candidates, and one bilingual candidate ran in the first round. All candidates scoring less than the vote for "None of the Above" were removed for the second round, leaving behind Moudi, Mills, Hayes, and Ayton.
I'm curious about the difference in year. o.o

1960 US election-Nixon wins all states lost by 1% or less
genusmap.php

Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge-Republican: 283 EV 50.05%
John F Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson-Democratic: 246 EV 49.22%

genusmap.php

Strom Thurmond - 59 electoral votes / 4.2 percent popular vote
Harry Truman - 258 electoral votes / 47.5 percent popular vote
Thomas Dewey - 214 electoral votes / 45.2 percent popular vote

Despite heavy protests against the possible election of Strom, and several states refusing to name him as their state democrat nominee, and people starting to try to convince Congress to either vote for Dewey or Truman by just throwing away partisan lines for one election, in the end, an outcome nobody in the world expected to happen occurred. On January 10th 1949, ten days before the next inauguration to avoid any acting president period, Strom Thurmond made a compromise: Elect him as president and let segregation be effectively protected for an indefinite period of time in all states that had it, but in return, he would only serve one term and support Civil Rights in all non southern/confederate states to balance out his election and segregation being continued. Despite the heavy ramifications Congress would face for this choice, they were tired of the house election period, and the 48 states unanimously voted for Strom Thurmond to become president, and this choice was made official by the state counts on January 19, one day before Thurmond would take office. He held true to his word on some accounts of his promise to congress, such as in February 1951, declared he would not run a second term, and after leaving office, he took one term off of all things politics, but went to the senate and became the first president in decades (maybe ever, fact check me later) to go from the presidency to the senate. By modern day standards, most people considered 1948 to be the "worst" election in history as it showed that politics came before the rights of the people, and that if it meant avoiding making things messy, politicians would be willing to get themselves out of any mess. Obviously, millions of people lost all hope in the american system. In later elections, the image of the presidency would later be recovered as future presidents would be nowhere near as racist and as much of a lying hypocrite as Strom, but the mark that 1948 and that four year term and the bargain that was made to end this conflict would never be diminished.

Dave's Redistricting is addicting, so I redrew my home state of Maryland's legislative districts. The Senate is currently FPTP, so I simply redrew them. The House, though, has multi-member districts and subdistricts, so I redrew it as if it was all single-member.

House of Delegates (there should be 141, but because the districts were slightly off the target population, it ended up only being 139).
mdhouse.PNG
mdhouse2.PNG

^ Close up of DC-Baltimore Metro

House of Delegates: (139; 70 for Majority, 84 for 3/5 Super Majority)
92 Dem - 47 GOP

I'm not gonna put the individual districts here, it would take forever.
Competitive (Considered "fair" or "even"): 23 (
10-13)

Senate
mdsenate.PNG
mdsenate2.PNG

^Close up of DC-Baltimore Metro

Senate (47; 24 for Majority, 29 for 3/5 Super Majority)

30 Dem - 17 GOP
Competitive (Considered "fair" or "even"): 7 (1-6)

Gravelanche ‘08

genusmap.php

Sen. Barack H. Obama (D-IL)/Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) - 387 EVs, 49.8%
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)/Fmr Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA) - 135 EVs, 41.2%
Fmr Sen. Mike Gravel (L-AK)/Fmr Gov. Jesse Ventura (L-MN) - 16 EVs, 5.3%

A Thousand Points of Light: Kanawha 2016 Gubernatorial Election

n1C3OAI.png

Kanawha is a state at the border of two ethnic macroregions - its northwest sees some of the same Irish-German farmstead patchwork which is characteristic of much of the Midwest, while its south is entirely Appalachian, where most all residents hail from a similar Celtic ethnicity but remain heavily divided over self-identification, in the past mostly dependent on religion. For some time, the state was a stronghold of the labor wing of the People's Democratic* party, though as the national party drifts towards social liberalism, this region has also become a center of defections to the American and Independence parties, even among some Irish Catholics.

*Retconned, previously called Popular Republicans