TL-191 Uniform, weapons and equipment of the Secondary Combatants.

The French would avoid using a white or mostly-white flag because it has become an international symbol of surrender. [...] It’s for this reason that the OTL Confederacy changed its flag from a white flag with the cross in the canton, to the same design with a red bar on the side.

The problem is one where the amount of pure white space is much more important than the rest. A number of flags, such as the british Royal Navy ensign, Tsarist era Russian naval ensign and WW1 era german warflag had white fields.

Not only does that have poor political implications for a revanchist regime, but it’s also confusing on the battlefield.

just to be pedantic here though, by WW2, soldiers didn't normally run on the battlefield carrying a flag.

The problem is one where the amount of pure white space is much more important than the rest. A number of flags, such as the british Royal Navy ensign, Tsarist era Russian naval ensign and WW1 era german warflag had white fields.

They did, but I think those designs had enough color on them to be visibly not flags of surrender. I will grant that this also applies to your suggestions.

just to be pedantic here though, by WW2, soldiers didn't normally run on the battlefield carrying a flag.

Certainly, but fortified positions still used them.

A few possibilities:

I really like #1 & #3 - I would actually be interested in seeing a design that included the big fleur-de-lys as a centrepiece, with smaller lilies scattered across the rest of the field (though that might be over-egging the pudding a little).

"Mon Royaume vaut bien la peine de voir mes sujets saluer un haillon"

"My kingdom is well worth the sorrow of seeing my subjects saluting a rag"

Thank You very kindly for that suggestion - my command of French is rather on the level of a reasonably scholarly schoolboy - am I correct in deducing that you are Un Gentilhomme de Francophonie?

Considering the Action Française's main aim was to re-establish the monarchy, seems appropriate.

Quite so - they might be wiser to harken back to the "Citizen King" Louis Philippe (basically sovereign lord of a Constitutional Monarchy), but given the hammering Bonapartist & the Republic have taken, even the Bad Old Days regarded so nostalgically by the Legitimists might not look SO bad by comparison!

I really like #1 & #3 - I would actually be interested in seeing a design that included the big fleur-de-lys as a centrepiece, with smaller lilies scattered across the rest of the field (though that might be over-egging the pudding a little).

something like this ? Maybe not for the national flag but it could serve as the personal flag of "The King's Chancellor".

fr-AF4.jpg

Thank You very kindly for that suggestion - my command of French is rather on the level of a reasonably scholarly schoolboy - am I correct in deducing that you are Un Gentilhomme de Francophonie?

I'm a Québecois who grew up in a Montreal neighbourhood known as Tétreaultville so "gentleman" might be stretching the truth a wee bit.

Quite so - they might be wiser to harken back to the "Citizen King" Louis Philippe (basically sovereign lord of a Constitutional Monarchy), but given the hammering Bonapartist & the Republic have taken, even the Bad Old Days regarded so nostalgically by the Legitimists might not look SO bad by comparison!

based on their writing, they saw democracy as innately flawed and believed in a strict separation of society into different classes, each with their own rights and responsibilities so any type of constitutional monarchy would have been antithetical to their view of "a perfect society". That being said, I'm pretty sure they might have been willing to pick a different candidate to be their king if the current legitimist pretender refused the job and find some way to justify their decision of an orleanist / junior line legitimist or any other pliable member of the nobility.

They did, but I think those designs had enough color on them to be visibly not flags of surrender. I will grant that this also applies to your suggestions.
Certainly, but fortified positions still used them.

fair enough but I think the that the fleur-de-lys to the fly and hoist side would have enough contrast (unlike the gold ones) to prevent any possible confusion. the One way to make doubly sure could be to increase the number of fleur-de-lys and make them cross over the edges so that the red and blue ones would form pseudo-bands.

fr-AF5.jpg

based on their writing, they saw democracy as innately flawed and believed in a strict separation of society into different classes, each with their own rights and responsibilities so any type of constitutional monarchy would have been antithetical to their view of "a perfect society". That being said, I'm pretty sure they might have been willing to pick a different candidate to be their king if the current legitimist pretender refused the job and find some way to justify their decision of an orleanist / junior line legitimist or any other pliable member of the nobility.

You might be interested to know that, in FILLING THE GAPS canon, Charles XI is actually an Orléanist - though one who idolises Charles VI rather than Louis Philippe (in our own history, Charles D'Orleans was born and died in 1875; in Timeline 191 he lasted rather longer). I actually came up with a quote "The Most Christian is a monarch who works in the 20th Century but prefers to spend weekends in the Dark Ages" to sum up the contradictions in this version of the character (I'm tempted to attribute that quote to Winston S. Churchill and can only hope it seems worthy of that wicked wit).

You might be interested to know that, in FILLING THE GAPS canon, Charles XI is actually an Orléanist - though one who idolises Charles VI rather than Louis Philippe (in our own history, Charles D'Orleans was born and died in 1875; in Timeline 191 he lasted rather longer). I actually came up with a quote "The Most Christian is a monarch who works in the 20th Century but prefers to spend weekends in the Dark Ages" to sum up the contradictions in this version of the character (I'm tempted to attribute that quote to Winston S. Churchill and can only hope it seems worthy of that wicked wit).

That would be consistent with the political and ideological beliefs of Action Francaise, at least as far as TL-191 is concerned. The group may be far-right and nationalistic, but the French far-right is much different, separated into different factions. Orleanists and Legitimists may want a monarchy, but they differ immensely in how that monarchy will look like.

The flags are still good though! I make a few of my own in spare time, so I can appreciate creativeness of making a French flag in this timeline.

May I please ask if this is the best place to ask questions about how the weaponry & equipment of belligerents would have differed had a Pacific War been fought between Japan & the United States of America during the 1930s, rather than the 1940s? (This is partly prompted by Timeline-191s Pacific War, but also by Mr Hector Bywater's GREAT PACIFIC WAR - hence my initial uncertainty).:)

May I please ask if this is the best place to ask questions about how the weaponry & equipment of belligerents would have differed had a Pacific War been fought between Japan & the United States of America during the 1930s, rather than the 1940s? (This is partly prompted by Timeline-191s Pacific War, but also by Mr Hector Bywater's GREAT PACIFIC WAR - hence my initial uncertainty).:)

Yup! You can talk about Canada and Japan here in terms of equipment and such. For a thread on the United States stuff, you can go here. (Link to Yankee Joe on my signature too).

Does anyone have ideas for indigenous Mexican barrels?
I drew up a couple of Mexican barrels, they were originally posted on the Featherston's Finest thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...vehicles-of-the-csa-and-freedom-party.450965/
Here they are again.

Cortez CG.41  w Veliz M-36 20mm cannon.png
Cortez CG.41, CG stands for Carro de Guerra Spanish for war-car.

Mexican Barrel guwAOmb-Claymore.jpg
an unnamed light barrel. I don't think I posted this one before.

My buddy Claymore made this Mexican barrel dubbed the Cortez CG-39 El Raccoon.

el-raccoon-png.411797

There's a little more detail about these barrels on the Featherston thread, page 10 or 11 I believe and a post briefly describing a short campaign between Mexico and Guatemala that feature these barrels and some older Union light barrels on that thread as well but I don't remember what page.

BTW we decided to nickname light barrels "Kegs".

I drew up a couple of Mexican barrels, they were originally posted on the Featherston's Finest thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...vehicles-of-the-csa-and-freedom-party.450965/
Here they are again.

My buddy Claymore made this Mexican barrel dubbed the Cortez CG-39 El Raccoon.

There's a little more detail about these barrels on the Featherston thread, page 10 or 11 I believe and a post briefly describing a short campaign between Mexico and Guatemala that feature these barrels and some older Union light barrels on that thread as well but I don't remember what page.

BTW we decided to nickname light barrels "Kegs".

Love me some kegs!

Oh, hey, if you also want to get technical - if the Mexicans end up calling light-barrels as kegs as well, they may refer to a light-barrel as a "barillete" in Spanish! :D

The Armed Forces of Desert

M1943_Field_Jacket.jpg

"Standard" Desert Infantry field uniform. When the Mormons rose up again in 1941, they tore up the railroads and captured US Army men moving from the West Coast through Utah towards Ohio. When they captured them, the Mormons stripped the men of their uniforms, and dyed them to distinguish them from the US. They dyed the uniforms a shade of green dubbed "olive-drab". Despite the fact that this was supposed to be the standard field uniform, there weren't enough captured uniforms to go around, and the Mormons had more important things to make than uniforms, like guns and bullets. Thus, most of the infantry wore whatever home-spun clothes they had when they joined the army.

M1helmetshell.jpg

The standard Mormon helmet, painted a lighter shade of olive-drab. Before the Mormons rose up again, agents conversed with the CSA to see what help they would be. The Confederated were more than eager to hurt the US, and granted the Mormons with old bolt-action Tredegars (they weren't about to waste the new automatic Tredegars as they needed them in Ohio), and piles and piles pf the new helmets that the CS Army used. They were painted a lighter shade of olive-drab.

M1903-Springfield-Rifle.jpg

Since the Mormons raided the US arsenals in the state, the Springfield was their most numerous weapon.

1920px-Lee-Enfield_Mk_III_%28No_1_Mk_3%29_-_AM.032056.jpg

The Tredegar was the second most numerous rifle the Mormons had, as the CSA gave them plenty.

Although the Mormons tried to settle on either the Springfield or Tredegar as their standard infantry rifle, the amount of different guns carried by the men, women, and even children made that impossible. So did trying to keep them all supplied with ammunition. This was one of the Mormons' greatest weaknesses, they had too many guns and too many calibers to keep track off.

Maschinengewehr_08_1.jpg

The Mormon's main machine gun, the Maxim Mg 08. Seizing the army stockpiles gave the Mormons many of these guns, and they used them to deadly effect.

2495bc17951e1377012e8c7932231209.jpg

The Browning Automatic Rifle, or BAR, is an oddity in gun history. Not quite an assault rifle, not quite a light machine gun. Mormon factories didn't make many of these guns, only 100. The man behind the gun, John Moses Browning, a prominent Mormon gunsmith was killed by an artillery shell in 1916 during the US barrage of Ogden. His son, Val Allen Browning, survived the first uprising and found and safe-guarded the plans of the gun. After the second uprising started, he gave the plans to the leaders, who in turn gave the plans to the factories. Despite the fact that not many guns were made, the BAR was very useful in both attack and defense. Val Allen Browning was killed trying to lead a counterattack to push the US away from the Temple. He was carrying a BAR.

Molotovin_cocktail.jpg

Mormon "Featherston Fizzes" used with deadly effect to get rid of US barrels.

Flying_jenny_cropped.jpg

The standard plane of the Desert "Bomber Force". The so-called Bomber Force was 10 Curtiss JN-4 “Jenny" biplanes that previously been used as crop-dusters. The pilots would fly in low over US positions behind the front and drop homemade bombs on them. All in all, these raids were pinpricks to the US forces in Utah, and didn't do much damage. In response, the US used their bombers to pound the everloving shit out of Utah cities still in Mormon hands.

Last edited:
How likely would it be for Canadians Mounties and Commonwealth military forces to have fled into the Canadian wilderness, following the First Great War and becoming rebel holdouts against the Union life.