Sam Westwood's Hollywood

A little from Column A, and a little from Column B... :winkytongue:

Which is why someone like Harris would be enamoured with him and someone like Sam would likely be receptive because of 'The Elephant Man' and 'Twin Peaks' but also secretly want to run away screaming lol.

Or on the other hand...What Time Enough said earlier about "A role is a role is a role". That sounds about right too.

Last edited:
Which is why someone like Harris would be enamoured with him and someone like Sam would likely be receptive because of 'The Elephant Man' and 'Twin Peaks' but also secretly want to run away screaming lol.

Or on the other hand...What Time Enough said earlier about "A role is a role is a role". That sounds about right too.
I loved the "Twin Peaks" Series and movies. Even The Return. If our Boys manage to get involved in any of that, I wouldn't mind...

Wrap up on Pale Horse and other Misc.
From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam is seen flipping through a photo album.

Sam: These were taken while I was filming 'Pale Horse'. There was one day I wasn't working and my publicist at the time whisked me off to do a photo shoot for David Bailey.

Some very mod photos of Sam taken by David Bailey in 1969 are shown directly on-screen.

Sam: Universal wanted me to play Mark Easterbrook and had Fay Compton in mind to play Ariadne Oliver when the picture was being put into production but they had a Hell of a time casting Ginger. They wanted either Charlotte Rampling or Jackie Bisset and neither was available. Then from what I have been told, they went down the list, Jill Haworth, Twiggy, and then Helen Mirren--

Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89. Interviews later released with full permission of Harris Walker for a project by Nolan called Conversations with Harris.

The tape picks up where it left off, but Sam Westwood is now joining them.

Nolan:
I hear you had a reputation for being a great host at parties back in the day.

Sam: I think I know who told you that

The three chuckle

Harris: Guilty.

Sam: That was just learned behaviour.

My parents would have these really simple Sunday dinner parties with friends. But, they taught me how to host and be polite to the guests and I was expected to help them out in the kitchen and mix drinks--

Harris: Sam also makes a mean Shirley Temple--

Sam: If my mom was working, my father would fix dinner and make sure I was helping out. And they both introduced me to a lot of literature and music so as to be part of the conversation. It was just something I picked up and didn't seem like a big deal--

Harris: I asked to learn to cook as a kid and got smacked about and called a pansy.

Nolan: Nobody should be treated like that. I mean, I am younger than you guys, but part of my chores growing up was to help cook for the other kids. Granted, there were a lot of us.

Harris: When I moved to California, I was a teenager and had run away from home but nobody bothered to look for me either. I was lucky if I had money for food.

Sam: I still have a hard time letting anybody else in the kitchen.

Nolan: Did you ever have live-in cooks or housekeepers?

Sam: No. Only a housekeeper. It had to be someone we knew wouldn't spill the beans, so in the early days, it was infrequent. Once I got to know Ian and Cat, they set us up with one who was great. I didn't want to be one of those people. Handlers and throwing tantrums. That isn't me.

The tape stops and resumes with Harris and Sam talking about art and fashion circles in New York in the 70s.

Harris: I did hang around that circle in the early 70s. But I felt like an outcast there even. Later on, I went to Studio 54 and remember it. That used to be a joke. If you went there and remembered it, you didn't have a good time.

Sam: You remember it because you were with me and getting clean by then.

Harris: We still had "dates" back then. I hated it because I just wanted to be alone with Sam. I was with Grace Jones who is still a dear friend to both of us and he was with Jessica Lange--

Nolan: Jessica Lange. Wasn't she on 'Take One' for a while? I used to watch that show as a sort of guilty pleasure.

Harris: Yeah. Jessica Lange had been a model before that and was roommates with Grace and Jerry Hall in France. She wanted to be a movie star and it never really took off.

Doing a soap opera gets frowned on, but it's really a great gig. You have a job every day. And because we shot on the West Coast I could be near Sam when things went rotten and I was under a contract they couldn't break that also allowed me to do films.

Sam: Harris had to become the breadwinner when I wasn't able to find work. It's still rough. I did have a movie out last year called 'Grace Under Fire' opposite Natalie Wood and Anissa Jones, so things are starting to pick up a little. But now I'm...you know...tenth choice for things. Which is better than being blackballed--

Harris: I might go back to that, you know, the soap opera.

Nolan: Really?! I wasn't ever big on soaps but that one had some cool twists and turns and it drew me in.

Harris: Well, they never killed me off. Sometimes my character, Robert Patrick, gets mentioned on screen. If there's ever a plot where they can fit me in it could happen. Can't guarantee anything because I also got a film offer that seems promising-- *

*Don't ask, I'm not giving away possible spoilers.

Last edited:
42nd Academy Awards: A Partial List of Winners and Nominees
220px-42nd_Academy_Awards.jpg

Best Picture

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Midnight Cowboy
Anne Of The Thousand Days
Hello, Dolly!
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Best Actor

Paul Newman- Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Dustin Hoffman- Midnight Cowboy
Harrison Ford- Midnight Cowboy
Warren Beatty- The Only Game In Town
Michael Sarrazin- They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Best Actress

Jean Seberg- They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Jean Simmons- The Happy Ending
Carol Channing- Hello, Dolly!
Maggie Smith- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Lee Grant- The Only Game In Town

Best Supporting Actor

Robert Redford- Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Jack Nicholson- Easy Rider
Elliott Gould- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice
Gig Young- They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?
Anthony Quayle- Anne Of The Thousand Days

Best Supporting Actress

Tuesday Weld- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

Catherine Burns- Last Summer
Goldie Hawn- Cactus Flower
Kim Darby- True Grit
Sharon Tate- Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Best Director

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- George Roy Hill

Midnight Cowboy- John Schlesinger
Alice's Restaurant- Arthur Penn
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?- Sydney Pollack
Z- Costa-Gavras

Best Screenplay--based on material from another medium

Midnight Cowboy- Waldo Salt

Anne of the Thousand Days- Screenplay by John Hale, Bridget Boland; Adaptation by Richard Sokolove
Goodbye, Columbus- Arnold Schulman
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?- James Poe, Robert E. Thompson
Z - Jorge Semprun, Costa-Gavras

Best Original Musical Score--for a motion picture (not a musical)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- Burt Bacharach

Anne of the Thousand Days- Georges Delerue
The Reivers- John Williams
The Secret of Santa Vittoria- Ernest Gold
The Wild Bunch- Jerry Fielding

Music (Score of a Musical Picture--original or adaptation)

Hello, Dolly!- Adaptation score by Lennie Hayton and Lionel Newman

Goodbye, Mr Chips- Music and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse; adaptation score by John Williams
Paint Your Wagon- Adaptation score by Nelson Riddle
Sweet Charity- Adaptation score by Cy Coleman
How Now, Dow Jones- Elmer Bernstein*

*Because even flops get nominated sometimes.

Music (Song--Original for the Picture)

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Music by Burt Bacharach; Lyrics by Hal David

Come Saturday Morning in The Sterile Cuckoo Music by Fred Karlin; Lyrics by Dory Previn
Jean in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie Music and Lyrics by Rod McKuen
True Grit in True Grit Music by Elmer Bernstein; Lyrics by Don Black
What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life? in The Happy Ending Music by Michel Legrand; Lyrics by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman

Writing (Story and Screenplay--based on material not previously published or produced

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- William Goldman

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice- Paul Mazursky, Larry Tucker
The Damned- Story by Nicola Badalucco; Screenplay by Nicola Badalucco, Enrico Medioli, Luchino Visconti
Easy Rider- Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Terry Southern
The Wild Bunch- Story by Walon Green, Roy N. Sickner; Screenplay by Walon Green, Sam Peckinpah

Best Picture

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
A good choice. I never understood why some film fans think Midnight Cowboy is a great film. Other then breaking some Film Taboos, it not a good film IMHO.
Butch Cassidy is a better choice

Best Actor

Paul Newman- Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
Best Supporting Actor

Robert Redford- Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

IRRC, both Redford and Newman claim to be the main star of Butch Cassidy in the OTL.
Would Redford have accepted being called the Supporting Actor?
(I love the idea of Newman getting a award for it though)

Carol Channing- Hello, Dolly!
It a tie on the worst casting for a musical ever between Barbara Streisand as Dolly in The OTL and Lucile Ball in Mame.
And I lean to the Hello Dolly casting due in to part to the fact that I saw Carol Channing play Dolly back in the 70's on Stage.

Best Director
I like your pick for best director and am glad to see the Director of Z nominated. (Did Costa Gavras get nominated in the OTL?)
But the one director I would have nominated , was Sam Peckinpah for the Wild Bunch. The final gunfight from that film is one of the most brutal and well film Firefights in the history of film.
And that firefight had a big impact on a large number of films in the future. ( It would serve as the reference for any number of gun fights up till John Woo's "The Killer" change the landscape)

I like your pick for best director and am glad to see the Director of Z nominated. (Did Costa Gavras get nominated in the OTL?)
But the one director I would have nominated , was Sam Peckinpah for the Wild Bunch. The final gunfight from that film is one of the most brutal and well film Firefights in the history of film.
And that firefight had a big impact on a large number of films in the future. ( It would serve as the reference for any number of gun fights up till John Woo's "The Killer" change the landscape)

I didn't pick them, the OTL Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences did. :p

In case it comes up again, this is how Best Director played out IOTL:

John SchlesingerMidnight Cowboy
Double-dagger-14-plain.png

Pretty happy with how I did it for my timeline, to be honest. Originally when I did this the first time, it was an unknown Sam Elliott. Redford was tied up. I researched and realized that Sam E. wasn't really the sexy cowboy type we all know and love until later on. Redford isn't doing as well ITTL, he's "That guy from Barefoot In The Park and those two Natalie Wood movies". He's just happy for the award but is going to be sure he gets nominated for the proper category next time. And contrary to the tabloids, there is no animosity towards Paul over the whole thing.

By the time he does The Sting, obviously, he will want to be an equal star to Newman and the latter is obviously fine with that. Those two were like peanut butter and jelly.

Now if Warren Beatty or Steve McQueen had been cast, that's another story.

I just want to thank everyone who voted. Sam only came in sixth but I was happy to just be nominated considering this started back up a bit late into the year. Keep an eye out for more posts over the course of the next few weeks. Sam and Harris and company (including two who never made it IOTL-Sharon Tate and Jeffrey Hunter) will be entering the 1970's.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I just want to thank everyone who voted. Sam only came in sixth but I was happy to just be nominated considering this started back up a bit late into the year. Keep an eye out for more posts over the course of the next few weeks. Sam and Harris and company (including two who never made it IOTL-Sharon Tate and Jeffrey Hunter) will be entering the 1970's.

Stay tuned!
You did good and considering who you were up against it could have gone worse. There's always next year. Should be interesting to see Tate in an alt 70s.

Keep up the work, it's great.

You did good and considering who you were up against it could have gone worse. There's always next year. Should be interesting to see Tate in an alt 70s.

Keep up the work, it's great.

Thank You! It was a very tight competition. Was happy that there was a separate pop culture timelime category this year.

Thank You! It was a very tight competition. Was happy that there was a separate pop culture timelime category this year.
Yeah I can see why, less messy and gave everyone an equal chance to compete.

Anyway here's to the 1970s, may they be odd and fascinating. I think this is a good way to the end the 60s:

1970: An Intro
Outtake from Sam Westwood's Hollywood (2016)

Sam:
Yeah, I got asked to do disaster films a few times. I uh, I did test for a role in 'The Poseidon Adventure'.

The interviewer is heard in the background asking about The Towering Inferno

Sam: I passed out on the set from exhaustion and was replaced. Really, it was for the best. We can discuss that later.

I didn't really like disaster films. The scripts were usually absolute garbage. I mean 'Airport' was alright but it had four really solid stars fronting it. Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, Jean Seberg and Katharine Ross.

The interviewer is heard mentioning Helen Hayes

Sam: Alright, five really solid stars (laughs)

Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89. Interviews later released with full permission of Harris Walker for a project by Nolan called Conversations with Harris.

Harris: I did consider changing my name briefly.

Sam: We were in contact and I told Harris that it was his decision to make. To me, it came off as hiding. I mean, he was still going to look the same. Nobody looks like Harris.

Harris: I...don't know how to take that (laughs)

Sam: You've known me for twenty years. Of course, I mean it as a compliment!

It was those eyes. It set him apart from other actors.

Harris: Nolan inherited the eyes.

Nolan: I did. As a kid people used to point it out to me. Just never...thought about it. I mean, Paul Newman had similar eyes.

Sam: True. His aren't quite as piercing though.

Harris: I am darker, so they probably stood out more.

Anyway, Herb thought that hiding under an alias was stupid and I should just prove myself as an actor. And not do crazy shit. His exact words. Which, well, I never always listened to Herb--

They got me some decent work, though. Stuff I should have been doing in the first place instead of being thrown into movies right off the bat--

Last edited:
Come Hell, Come Sundown (1970)
Come Hell, Come Sundown (National General Pictures, March 1970)

A Charles Marquis Warren Film with Music by Hugo Montenegro

Cast

Jeffrey Hunter
as Jess Wade

Raquel Welch as Tracey Winters

Rory Calhoun as Vince Hackett

Susan Oliver as Sara Ramsey

Solomon Sturges as Billy Roy Hackett

Lynn Kellogg as Marcie

Roberts Blossom as Opie Keetch

Harry Landers as Heff

Tony Young as Lt. Rivera

James Almanzar as Sheriff Ramsey

From IMDB

Raquel Welch had been attached to star in an adaptation of Gore Vidal's Myra Breckinridge for 20th Century Fox. Production on Myra Breckinridge fell through and Welch instead appeared in this film.

Clint Eastwood and later Elvis Presley turned down the role of Jess Wade. Jeffrey Hunter was eventually cast in the role.

Come Hell, Come Sundown had been in development for some time. Originally Victor French was attached to play antagonist Vince Hackett. Rory Calhoun, a one time star who was in the middle of a sharp career decline eventually landed the part.

Come Hell, Come Sundown cemented Jeffrey Hunter's career comeback and landed some interest in character parts for Calhoun.

Rory Calhoun, a one time star who was in the middle of a sharp career decline eventually landed the part.
It a shame that Calhoun does not get a better career. I enjoyed his Western roles in which he often played characters that were just as dark as the Villains.
In my Step by Step Timeline, he does get a series of roles on TV in the 70's and 80's. Still it better then the low budgets Horror and exploitation films that he ended up with in OTL

The guys talk Sharon Tate and relationships
From an April 1970 issue of Variety

"Academy Award Nominee Sharon Tate has married actor Christopher Jones in a private ceremony in Los Angeles attended by friends and family--"

Jones will appear in the MGM production Ryan's Daughter set for release later this year--"

From Forgotten Films, 1966-1971 By Nolan Hendricks

"When Ryan's Daughter was released in November 1970, the film received harsh reviews from critics but did strong box office. The David Lean directed follow up to Doctor Zhivago, which also featured Robert Mitchum and Sarah Miles disappointed both critics and moviegoers alike. Jones' alleged on-set clashes with Lean, Robert Mitchum and Sarah Miles allegedly did not help--"

Harris:
Everyone was talking about her after 'Butch Cassidy'--

Sam: I attended Sharon's first wedding to Christopher Jones. Sharon...wanted a family. Christopher Jones was getting sick of the photographers and people asking about Sharon.

Nolan: You've had your own issues with paparazzi--

Sam: It depends. When I was outed, Harris and I both did. That's why we got the place in Canada. And why I did some work in Japan for about a year.

Harris: I'm only really in the tabloids if it has to do with Sam.

Sam: Sure. Blame me! (laughs)

Harris: We oddly never had any sort of rift over Sam being a film star. There were rifts over me acting out.

Sam: Harris and I don't mind being apart for obvious reasons. You know, work or whatever. That said, there are times we both hate it.

Harris: We did try having an open relationship at first.

Sam: I wasn't crazy about it but Harris wasn't--

Harris: I wasn't the most mature guy.

Sam: I thought maybe we should be open at that point in our relationship even though in the past I didn't like to share.

Harris: We tried bringing a third person in and the guy got ignored. Nolan...probably doesn't want to hear this stuff (laughs)

Sam: It works for some couples, it just didn't work for us.

Last edited:
Sam: It depends. When I was outed, Harris and I both did. That's why we got the place in Canada. And why I did some work
Oooh, interesting. Can't wait to see "Sam's Adventures in Early 80s Japan". I do have to say that Sam and Harris are rather adorable together. Anyway Sharon Tate getting married to Christopher Jones should lead to some oddities.

I do have to say that Sam and Harris are rather adorable together. Anyway Sharon Tate getting married to Christopher Jones should lead to some oddities.

It doesn't last very long, but she will have a happier run of luck at a future date.

Sam and Harris probably last longer than anyone and even then there are times Harris makes it difficult for him.