Sports What Ifs.

Two Cleveland Indian Questions:

1. What if Herb Score isn't hit with a line drive in 1957, and he continues to be a great pitcher well into the 60's?

2. What if the Indians didn't hire trader Frank Lane as GM (the idiot who traded away Rocky Colavito)?

Do the Indians have that three-plus decade fall-off, or do they remain contenders in the 60's (and maybe the 70's)?

The Hardball Times had a series called "Virtual Teams." Three dealt with the Indians.

1. What if the 1954 Tribe, winners of 111 games, hadn't traded away Minnie Minoso, Mickey Vernon, Ray Boone and Sherm Lollar?

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-virtual-1954-cleveland-indians-part-one/

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-virtual-1954-cleveland-indians-part-two/

2. What if the 1961 Indians didn't trade Roger Maris, Norm Cash, Rocky Colavito, and several others?

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-virtual-1961-cleveland-indians-part-1/

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-virtual-1961-cleveland-indians-part-2/

3. What if, even if they traded Maris, they kept Cash and the Rock?

4. What if in the 1970s they didn't trade Graig Nettles, Gaylord Perry, Luis Tiant, et al?

(several links)

Would the Saints benefit from that trade had they accepted Dallas's OTL offer?

LB Guy Brown wasn't that great, DE Larry Bethea was a bust, and RB Ron Springs, while a solid player, was more of a backup.

With the 26th overall pick, they probably take CB Russell Gary (who they drafted early in Round 2 in OTL), and then they probably draft Missouri RB James Wilder with their first second-rounder (29th overall). So, not much difference (except they get Wilder as their workhorse rather than Rogers. He would be an upgrade).

A little evil one but...what if Archie Manning never have childrens or all three were girls ? ( Or just peyton and Eli?)

Ryan Leaf goes to the Colts, the Colts go to shit, Irsay moves the team to LA. Also the Chargers draft Philip Rivers and the Patriots go 19-0 because whoever QBs the Giants doesn’t get the job done.

Ryan Leaf goes to the Colts, the Colts go to shit, Irsay moves the team to LA. Also the Chargers draft Philip Rivers and the Patriots go 19-0 because whoever QBs the Giants doesn’t get the job done.
The guy would be'check notes' Captain Fat Fuck leader of men...YEAH. Seriously as before the Pats Might be 8-2 in superbowl with only losses vs BDN and maybe CAM...that is 9-1

Read Kramers instant replay. When discussing the run-up to the 1968 Afl-NFL Champoinship game as it was then known (leading some to say the Packers never won a SuperBowl until the Favre era, mostly Bears fans) he remarks on just how much the execution of the Raiders was versus the Chiefs. He may not say it as many words but basically he calls the Chiefs
"Stumblebums". Also the Chiefs had Mike Garret, a back while not quite Sayers equal was pretty damn good. For all the good it did them. Individually the Chiefs did not look bad against Green Bay. But as a "team" it was no contest.

As a Packer fan I am of the opinion (for what that is worth) that the Chiefs never could have beaten the '66 Packers. That was a superb team. The '67 Packers on the other hand were running on fumes (three consecutive NFL Championships is all anyone can ever expect; the Packer slipped to last place the very next season). The '67 Packers were a patched together team having to pull running backs out of the scrub league mid season, but Oakland (Super Bowl II) was a dominate AFL team, with only one lose (I believe; which they avenged; need to look that up) and then they folded under the pressure of the Super Bowl. I think, man to man that Oakland team was actually a better team than the '67 Packers. Also the Packers, by CW should have left what they had left in them in '67 on the field in the Ice Bowl. I repeat I think Oakland folded under pressure; the Chiefs never really had a chance in Super Bowl I. IMHO

As a Packer fan I am of the opinion (for what that is worth) that the Chiefs never could have beaten the '66 Packers. That was a superb team. The '67 Packers on the other hand were running on fumes (three consecutive NFL Championships is all anyone can ever expect; the Packer slipped to last place the very next season). The '67 Packers were a patched together team having to pull running backs out of the scrub league mid season, but Oakland (Super Bowl II) was a dominate AFL team, with only one lose (I believe; which they avenged; need to look that up) and then they folded under the pressure of the Super Bowl. I think, man to man that Oakland team was actually a better team than the '67 Packers. Also the Packers, by CW should have left what they had left in them in '67 on the field in the Ice Bowl. I repeat I think Oakland folded under pressure; the Chiefs never really had a chance in Super Bowl I. IMHO

The 67 Pack was saved by a freak cold front in the NFL Title Game. If the weather was what they thought it was going to be (with a cold front maybe coming through Sunday night), I think Dallas wins that game by 10.

And, if they win the SB, that probably means that Dandy Don doesn't retire two years later (which means that Morton may have went to another team sooner, or Staubach would have been the one to go).

The guy would be'check notes' Captain Fat Fuck leader of men...YEAH. Seriously as before the Pats Might be 8-2 in superbowl with only losses vs BDN and maybe CAM...that is 9-1

Well shit. Not a universe I want to live in.

Unless there are enough butterflies to ship Brady somewhere else. The 49ers are a good option.

Well shit. Not a universe I want to live in.

Unless there are enough butterflies to ship Brady somewhere else. The 49ers are a good option.
Brady would die in 49ers...take till Jim to straight ship and Alex Smith never lived his potential thanks that mess of franchise.

Brady would die in 49ers...take till Jim to straight ship and Alex Smith never lived his potential thanks that mess of franchise.

True but it probably throws the Pats into chaos just in time to fuck up the 2007 season. I can’t imagine Bledsoe sticking around that long at anything close to full strength, and some rookie or stand-in won’t do the job at that level no matter how shitty the rest of the division is.

True but it probably throws the Pats into chaos just in time to fuck up the 2007 season. I can’t imagine Bledsoe sticking around that long at anything close to full strength, and some rookie or stand-in won’t do the job at that level no matter how shitty the rest of the division is.
Kliffburry...he might sneak into playoff once but after that...i can see now BB asking for Joe flacco and with BB and Flacco Magic, i can see maybe 2 rings together before flacco collapse.... Still with a recovered bledsoe i can see the pats beating the panthers(or losing) but they could still win 2004 vs IGGLE..so bledsoe goes one or two ring maximum

The 67 Pack was saved by a freak cold front in the NFL Title Game. If the weather was what they thought it was going to be (with a cold front maybe coming through Sunday night), I think Dallas wins that game by 10.

And, if they win the SB, that probably means that Dandy Don doesn't retire two years later (which means that Morton may have went to another team sooner, or Staubach would have been the one to go).

CW wise I agree, I suspect the Cowboys were at that point a better team as well, but I also feel that that Cowboy team (including Don Meredith) of the late 60s was snake bit; you get the feeling if it wasn't the cold something else would have come along and snatched the victory from them anyway.

Kliffburry...he might sneak into playoff once but after that...i can see now BB asking for Joe flacco and with BB and Flacco Magic, i can see maybe 2 rings together before flacco collapse.... Still with a recovered bledsoe i can see the pats beating the panthers(or losing) but they could still win 2004 vs IGGLE..so bledsoe goes one or two ring maximum

If Bledsoe pulls off the 3 rings, he probably sputters after that, and maybe the Pats get Flacco; realistically I don’t see that happening. He gets the Eagles one for sure and maybe the Panthers, but the Rams...not if the Tuck Rule goes differently and I don’t know if he makes that play. Let’s go with two rings and the Rams get number two at the expense of the Raiders.

Brady never catches on and ends up a journeyman backup. Flacco gets a ring, but he can’t pull off the comebacks against the Seahawks and Falcons. The Seahawks stay together a little longer since Marshawn doesn’t get pissed about not getting the ball.

Not sure who dominates the AFC if there’s no Peyton and no Brady. Hopefully not Fat Fuck Rapist Seriously Fuck That Guy.

Not sure who dominates the AFC if there’s no Peyton and no Brady. Hopefully not Fat Fuck Rapist Seriously Fuck That Guy.
He is on the NFC, either Vick with colts or whatever brees end up if stay on AFC( again with no Manning brees would end up in Cowboys or Cards as nobody wanted him in 1st round)

He is on the NFC, either Vick with colts or whatever brees end up if stay on AFC( again with no Manning brees would end up in Cowboys or Cards as nobody wanted him in 1st round)

Vick could save the Colts in Indy, but his legacy would be mixed if he gets mixed up with dogfighting (assuming he still does; maybe Dungy gets ahold of him and puts a stop to it before it gets out of hand.) If he doesn’t save the Colts and Brees doesn’t go to New Orleans, someone heads to LA early.

So with no Mannings, Brady to SF, Vick to Indy after Polian is hired (he’ll hit at least once on QB) and Brees to Miami because Saban never gets hired, the Saints move to San Antonio, and New Orleans ends up as a hot spot for a move. Maybe the Jags.

If Dungy stops the dogfighting, the Colts contend for years. If not, they go to shit around 2007-08, and Lucas Oil Stadium opens to a shitty team. The AFC becomes interesting - Flacco and the Pats, Brees and the Dolphins, Butt Fumble and the Jets for a couple of years. Maybe the Jets get one in 2009 - or the Vikings. No Manning to stop them and no Saints in the NFC.

and Brees to Miami because Saban never gets hired
Sorry to burst you bubble but was not Saban who passed on him, was the GM and medical staff consider him a risk. I know you are sad you never got him, but that butterfly is still there meaning brees might never become a FA at all( specially if he land in Dallas in 2001)

Sorry to burst you bubble but was not Saban who passed on him, was the GM and medical staff consider him a risk. I know you are sad you never got him, but that butterfly is still there meaning brees might never become a FA at all( specially if he land in Dallas in 2001)

If he lands in Dallas in 2001, that’s a whole different can of worms and one wonders if Romo would push him out. Frankly if the timing isn’t there for the Saints, that negates the 2006 season and that team is in a world of hurt.

As far as Saban-Brees, I partially blame him and hate that he left the Dolphins high and dry. I also don’t fathom why Culpepper was an improvement over Brees when neither seemed to stay healthy.

If he lands in Dallas in 2001, that’s a whole different can of worms and one wonders if Romo would push him out. Frankly if the timing isn’t there for the Saints, that negates the 2006 season and that team is in a world of hurt.
Nah bress is far better that romo, we could end with Romo In Cardinals(we offered him more money) or in Denver(he liked the coach)

And now, the opposite effect of my team:

WI Brees signs with the Dolphins/Cowboys over the Saints AND Vince Young elects to remain in college for a senior year?