2018 Presidential Election

OOC: One more pop-culture related infobox!

IC: The Doctor is the main character and namesake of the long-running popular British television programme Doctor Who produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) since 1963. In the series, the Doctor (sometimes referred to as "Doctor" or, in early series, "Doctor Who" or "Dr. Who") is a centuries-old alien—a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey—who travels across both time and space in his TARDIS (an acronym for "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space"), which is disguised to look like a mid-20th century British police box, frequently with one or more companions.

Since the show's debut in 1963, thirteen different lead actors have portrayed the character. The transition to each actor is explained with the plot device of "regeneration", stated to be a biological function of the Time Lords that allows for a change in cellular structure and appearance with recovery, following a potentially fatal injury, illness or old age. Several other actors have portrayed the Doctor in various other media and all official versions of the character (the thirteen series leads plus the "War Doctor" incarnation portrayed by Brian Blessed that was created for the programme's 2013 50th anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor") have appeared in spin-off novels, audio dramas, and comic books.

The most recent incarnation of the character, the Thirteenth Doctor (portrayed by Hayley Atwell), debuted on 25 December 2017 at the end of the 2017 Christmas special "Twice Upon a Time". Atwell is the first woman to play an official version of the character.

DPNfFN2.png

• Shout out to Marky for selecting all fourteen of TTL's Doctors. The only one I asked him to change was the initial pick for the Seventh Doctor (Dave Fielder) because I couldn't find a decent picture for the collage.
  • I'd imagine that revival series Doctor Who ITTL would be seen as more of a break with the classic program with the revival series' leads being someone known for starring in romantic comedies (Grant) followed by three openly LGBT actors (Cumming is bi while Tovey and Daniels are gay) and then a woman (Atwell). Also, Brian Blessed as the War Doctor might have been a bit more...let's say kinetic...in his appearances in battle during the 50th anniversary special.

Oh, right. I was going to post that after the results, but forgot.

Here it is:

How do you actually construct this particular Infobox? A link given to me, really doesn’t clarify how to simply construct an Infobox! Also how do you construct the election map? I need this information as I’m in the process of developing a AH thread on American politics which begins in 1989 and concludes in 2061! Can’t I just copy this Infobox on Sam Seaborn and Henry Shallick, and edit same box in sandbox?

How do you actually construct this particular Infobox? A link given to me, really doesn’t clarify how to simply construct an Infobox!

This is step-by-step picture guide is linked at the bottom of the tutorial.

Also how do you construct the election map?

You have to download the maps from Wikipedia and edit them in Inkscape, or some other program that allows you to edit .SVG files.

I need this information as I’m in the process of developing a AH thread on American politics which begins in 1989 and concludes in 2061! Can’t I just copy this Infobox on Sam Seaborn and Henry Shallick, and edit same box in sandbox?

You'd have to use the actual code for the boxes themselves to edit them in the sandbox, which doesn't exist since neither of those two are actual politicians and I don't save the code for making these.

It's easiest to just copy the code from an actual politician's infobox (the photo tutorial will show you how to do that) and edit that in sandbox to get started.

First Couple adopt "First Dog"

President Sam Seaborn and First Lady Lauren Parker-Seaborn have added a six-month old Jack Russell terrier puppy named Marty to their family, with the couple introducing the new puppy on the White House lawn earlier today. "I know I feel a bit better having a new guard dog around to help the Secret Service," President Seaborn joked as the curious pup strained against the leash to sniff at reporters' feet. "But I don't think he's quite ready for the protection detail yet."

White House Press Secretary Cassie Tatum said that the dog was a gift from Senator Andrew Thorn (D-NY) and his family to the Seaborns after the president expressed his fondness for Jack Russell terriers. The dog was named after eighth president Martin Van Buren, the first president to hail from New York state and reportedly had been returned to the breeder from its first family after the family's other dogs reacted aggressively towards it.

Tatum said that per ethics regulations, the Seaborns did pay the Thorns for their dog, although she declined to state the amount. Saying that the figures she was told included veterinary and obedience school fees, she promised the total amount paid will be released in the next financial disclosure form the president releases to the public.

Andrew Thorn gave them a dog....

Andrew Thorn....

A bit of a cooling detente between the two considering Thorn's opposition to Seaborn?

A bit of a cooling detente between the two considering Thorn's opposition to Seaborn?[/QUOTE]

It's not the first time, I think. Wasn't Thorn Seaborn's original choice for Secretary of State?

Andrew Thorn gave them a dog....

Andrew Thorn....

A bit of a cooling detente between the two considering Thorn's opposition to Seaborn?

Mrs Thorn: "ANDREW! The dog pooped in the house again! AGAIN! That's IT! I want this dog gone!"

Sen Thorn: (Picks up the phone and dials the White House) "Yes? President Seaborn? I'd like to offer you a gift as a gesture of good will."

:p

OOC: One more pop-culture related infobox!

IC: The Doctor is the main character and namesake of the long-running popular British television programme Doctor Who produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) since 1963. In the series, the Doctor (sometimes referred to as "Doctor" or, in early series, "Doctor Who" or "Dr. Who") is a centuries-old alien—a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey—who travels across both time and space in his TARDIS (an acronym for "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space"), which is disguised to look like a mid-20th century British police box, frequently with one or more companions.

Since the show's debut in 1963, thirteen different lead actors have portrayed the character. The transition to each actor is explained with the plot device of "regeneration", stated to be a biological function of the Time Lords that allows for a change in cellular structure and appearance with recovery, following a potentially fatal injury, illness or old age. Several other actors have portrayed the Doctor in various other media and all official versions of the character (the thirteen series leads plus the "War Doctor" incarnation portrayed by Brian Blessed that was created for the programme's 2013 50th anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor") have appeared in spin-off novels, audio dramas, and comic books.

The most recent incarnation of the character, the Thirteenth Doctor (portrayed by Hayley Atwell), debuted on 25 December 2017 at the end of the 2017 Christmas special "Twice Upon a Time". Atwell is the first woman to play an official version of the character.

DPNfFN2.png

• Shout out to Marky for selecting all fourteen of TTL's Doctors. The only one I asked him to change was the initial pick for the Seventh Doctor (Dave Fielder) because I couldn't find a decent picture for the collage.
  • I'd imagine that revival series Doctor Who ITTL would be seen as more of a break with the classic program with the revival series' leads being someone known for starring in romantic comedies (Grant) followed by three openly LGBT actors (Cumming is bi while Tovey and Daniels are gay) and then a woman (Atwell). Also, Brian Blessed as the War Doctor might have been a bit more...let's say kinetic...in his appearances in battle during the 50th anniversary special.

Really like these different Doctors especially Hayley Atwell as the Thirteenth Doctor who I love as Peggy Carter in the MCU.

Really like these different Doctors especially Hayley Atwell as the Thirteenth Doctor who I love as Peggy Carter in the MCU.
Thanks. Other than Doctors One, Two & Four, which where my invention, all others where either offered the job and turned it down prior to the actual actor (Moody & Grant), screen tested (Curry, Tovey, Daniels), or actively considered (Griffiths, Campbell, Blessed (for the Second Doctor but I moved him to the War Doctor), Jury, Cummings, Atwell).

Thanks. Other than Doctors One, Two & Four, which where my invention, all others where either offered the job and turned it down prior to the actual actor (Moody & Grant), screen tested (Curry, Tovey, Daniels), or actively considered (Griffiths, Campbell, Blessed (for the Second Doctor but I moved him to the War Doctor), Jury, Cummings, Atwell).

Wow I had no idea!

Wow I had no idea!
Alan Cummings is very interesting in that BBC (South) was attempting to get a TV Movie made for the 40th anniversary in 2003. In 2001 Alan Cummings was contacted, screen tested (according to the sources I have seen brilliantly) and agreed to do it, but then BBC Wales was also pitching for a new series and it won out ahead of the BBC South/Cummings version. Hugh Grant was offered the part before Eccleston got involved, but he said he thought it would flop, later admitting he made a bad error of judgement, as had Ron Moody.

Alan Cummings is very interesting in that BBC (South) was attempting to get a TV Movie made for the 40th anniversary in 2003. In 2001 Alan Cummings was contacted, screen tested (according to the sources I have seen brilliantly) and agreed to do it, but then BBC Wales was also pitching for a new series and it won out ahead of the BBC South/Cummings version. Hugh Grant was offered the part before Eccleston got involved, but he said he thought it would flop, later admitting he made a bad error of judgement, as had Ron Moody.

Very interesting to imagine the Doctor could have been played by different actors and the different effect it would have. Was the show still cancelled in 1989?

Very interesting to imagine the Doctor could have been played by different actors and the different effect it would have. Was the show still cancelled in 1989?
We kept everything else the same, the show still went colour in 1970, the actors still had the role for the same time, and the 1985 hiatus and the 1989 cancellation happened as per the real world.

Well I have wondered about tv shows in the WWU but that would be a massive sidetrack for Marky and others who pursue it.

I have a one major film franchise in mind for similar treatment to Doctor Who.....
Yup. Hell I have to wonder about what the Godzilla series looks like in the TL. (Shin Godzilla is based on The Tohuku Earthquake and Tsunami and the Fukushima disaster, as neither occurred in the TL the 2016 Godzilla in this world would be different)

g990RZB.png

Monday, March 18th 2019

Ohio legislative maps lawsuit reaches federal judges

A lawsuit against the state of Ohio's current legislative district maps has reached federal district court and, if the court rules in favor of the plaintiffs, could force the state to redistrict ahead of the 2020 midterm elections. Several voting rights groups, including the ACLU's Ohio chapter, has filed a civil lawsuit against the state of Ohio, alleging that the state's current maps are an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander that unfairly benefit the Republicans and that several violate the Voting Rights Act by "packing" members of minority communities into one district and thus dilute their voting power. As part of their evidence, the plaintiffs have pointed out that despite the Republicans only having a small advantage in voter registration, they have won nearly two-thirds of the state Senate and House of Representatives in every election since the last redistricting in 2011. They have also cited the ballot measure passed by Ohio voters last November that amended the redistricting procedure to prevent one party from drawing the state's legislative boundaries, which happened during the previous redistricting after Republicans won control of the legislature and governorship. The plaintiffs say that the ballot measure should be considered to have taken effect and that, since the current boundaries were not reached with the new formula for redistricting, they must be thrown out and new districts drawn before the 2020 midterms.

"Even if a new map will only be used once, it is clear that it is desperately needed and that there is a reason the Republicans are fighting tooth and nail to prevent one from being ordered." Congresswoman Josie Bail (D-OH), the third-ranking Democrat in the House whose district (the ninth) is considered one of the most egregiously gerrymandered districts in Congress, said. "Of the sixteen districts in Ohio, only four would normally be Democratic. That we can win outside of those four districts at all is a testament to our great candidate recruitment and the tireless work of local campaigns and volunteers here in the Buckeye State."

The state and Republican Party reject those arguments, citing the fact that Democrats won a majority of seats in the first three elections (2012, 2014, and 2016) held under the current maps before losing two seats in November. Attorneys for the state of Ohio also say that a victory for the plaintiffs would "cause confusion" and create "unnecessary expenses" since any new maps would only be used for next year's midterms.

"This is a naked attempt by the Democratic Party to force a redrawing of district lines before the 2020 midterms in order to prevent losing their majority in the House," Congressman Joseph Steele (R), who represents the state's 16th congressional district said. "The people of Ohio should not have their tax money wasted on Democrat-drawn maps that will only be used once."

Bail disagrees. "The people of Ohio deserve fair legislative districts and Congressman Steele is part of the reason why they currently do not exist in this state." Bail said. She cited documents obtained in prior lawsuits that show Steele's chief of staff Wesley Moulton was involved with state Republicans' efforts in 2011 during a sabbatical from Steele's employ to redraw the state's congressional districts and that Steele himself recommended Ohio state lawyers to the Republican National Committee to put on retainer for any lawsuits that might come up from the maps drawn in the state. Lawyers from the plaintiffs are expected to subpoena Steele and Moulton to testify about their involvement in the current maps' creation.

steele.png

Congressman Joe Steele, who is expected to be called to testify in the suit (photo by Rupert Friend)

mspence

Banned
Electoral College Headed To Supreme Court?

GNN Politics

Washington-While the Presidential election is now history, controversy over the Electoral College may be headed to the Supreme Court as a growing number of states where the winner won the popular vote but lost in the College are joining in an effort to challenge its legitimacy. The EC, which has historically decided every major Presidential election except for the special election of 1986, has come under increasing criticism in recent years, stemming in part from the extremely close election of 2006 and, in the case of the past election, the controversy surrounding the election of Frank Hollis as VP.
One proposal that has been gaining traction would be to award proportional votes to the states, a move that has been criticized by some as actually being detrimental to a fair election. Some Constitutional and legal experts have said that any change to the College might result in states with smaller populations not being fairly represented in Presidential elections. Supporters of the move say that proportional voting would allow greater representation of voters in all districts.
The Court has yet to hear any formal challenges on the matter.

Adair to conclude his world tour with visit to South America, Mexico

GNN World News

Mexico City-The State Department has confirmed that Mexico will be the last stop on August Adair's world tour as he seeks to mend relationships with Mexico following a strained one during the Walken administration. Adair, who is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, will be visiting Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, and Colombia in an attempt to apply his diplomatic skills towards easing tensions between Venezuela and its neighbors before heading towards Mexico City to address the growing cartel violence along the border. Security has reportedly been increased in anticipation of this visit.