Which Ambitious Latin and Large American Countries would be Powerful?

Which country(s) would be powerful?

• Peru-Bolivia Confederation

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • United Provinces of Rio de la Plata

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • Mexican Empire

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • Gran Colombia

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Empire of Brazil

Votes: 56 61.5%
  • Federal Republic of Central America

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters
Which Large and Ambitious Latin American Country(s) could survive, and while competing with other rivals, become powerful and dominate force(s) in Latin America.

Rule 1. Multiple vote on, just in case you have multiple opinion, and believe in a Latin American Cold War between multiple Powerful Rivals

Rule 2. If I miss any Powerful Latin American Countries, comment

Deleted member 67076

I like the idea of a unified Central America surviving but their small size, population, and rugged terrain is going to make them a small player for most of their history despite a good number of resources they'd possess.

Chile wasn't large but it had an experienced and well trained army and the most powerful navy of the Pacific in the 1880's, this small country even challenged the United States in 1885 and also expanded into Oceania annexing the Eastern Island in 1888. This stability however ended with the civil war of 1891 and the economic crisis that started in 1914. If we avoid the civil war and manage to industrialize and diversify the economy, a much powerful (yet not at the level to challenge the US) and stable Chile could survive. Now if we want to see this Chile surviving long enough to this day, they'll need to survive the Great Depression and avoid the crisis of 1970 and later dictatorship of 1973. If these conditions are met, Chile by this time could be a decade or two, more developed than OTL Chile and all of this could be possible, knowing that in our world, Chile is considered the most developed country in Latin America, not at level of Europe or North America, but getting every year closer

Last edited:
Chile wasn't large but it had an experienced and well trained army and the most powerful navy of the Pacific in the 1880's, this small country even challenged the United States in 1885 and also expanded into Oceania annexing the Eastern Island in 1888. This stability however ended with the civil war of 1891 and the economic crisis that started in 1914. If we avoid the civil war and manage to industrialize and diversify the economy, a much powerful (yet not at the level to challenge the US) and stable Chile could survive. Now if we want to see this Chile surviving long enough to OTL, they'll need to survive the Great Depression and avoid the crisis of 1970 and later dictatorship of 1973. If these conditions are met, Chile by this time could be a few years, maybe a decade or two, more developed than OTL Chile and all of this could be possible, knowing that in our world, Chile is considered the most developed country in Latin America, not at level of Europe or North America, but getting every year closer
i want someone to make a timeline about this now

Being that I have a TL based on Gran Colombia, I'm going to vote for them. However, I believe that any of Mexico, Gran Colombia, La Plata, or Brazil could have been powerful under the right circumstances.

Paraguay. Victory in the War of the Triple Alliance (more likely then you'd think given logistics and internal dissent in their enemies) and Paraguay is a strong regional power controlling bits of of Argentine land and maybe even a chunk of Mato Grosso (accessible mainly through Paraguay). Keeping the rivers open to their commerce and keeping the country stable would help development and perhaps draw off some of Argentina's growth and immigration.

IMO more likely than Central America.

Paraguay. Victory in the War of the Triple Alliance (more likely then you'd think given logistics and internal dissent in their enemies) and Paraguay is a strong regional power controlling bits of of Argentine land and maybe even a chunk of Mato Grosso (accessible mainly through Paraguay). Keeping the rivers open to their commerce and keeping the country stable would help development and perhaps draw off some of Argentina's growth and immigration.

IMO more likely than Central America.
yes except everyone would be dead in paruragy

Any country with the capability to do whatever they want to the entire River Plate Basin sounds like a superpower-in-making, IMO, so my vote would be to either the Brazilians or the Argentines, depending on how much of it they can control.

Mexico's also a close third, assuming they keep Texas and the Mexican Cession and get a lot more stable -- then again, practically all of the ones in the list would punch a lot higher than IOTL had they been more stable, so it just goes without saying.

A situation whereas a more powerful and longer-lasting Brazilian Empire ends up challenging the USA's Monroe Doctrine in South America, Central America and the Caribbean could end in war. Would be interesting to see Brazil develop its own "Showa period" of aggressive expansion.

Last edited:
Being that I have a TL based on Gran Colombia, I'm going to vote for them. However, I believe that any of Mexico, Gran Colombia, La Plata, or Brazil could have been powerful under the right circumstances.
All three would be great powers just liek france was, specially if mexico send back all gringos to their side of missisipi and they hold all their 1821 borders. Gran Colombia would be as Stronger as A-H even stronger if we got the Colombia Magna(ie Hispaniola,Cuba and toher islands,Guayana essequimbo too, among others, plus making our own Canal to our use, evenif we need to pawn it to british or french), Brazil would be another too.