Interesting AH ideas that aren't commonly used

In general, scenarios posted on this board tend to be US or Anglocentric, or revolve around the First or Second World Wars. And they're often focused on fairly extreme opposite alternatives to OTL. IE it's common to speculate on a right-wing nationalistic dictatorship in Russia, rather than other alternatives to the Bolsheviks. Scenarios about X country being more powerful or better off also almost always seem to focus on territorial gains rather than differing economic, diplomatic, or political alignments. Regarding territory, posters often ignoring both the enormous practical, legal, and diplomatic hurdles to territorial acquisition by force in the postwar system and relying on weirdly old-school tropes about territory as strength while ignoring the logistical and practical problems that arise from forcibly integrating new territories. (The world isn't a giant game of Risk.)

Having made that general point, here are some ideas that aren't commonly used:

- An Iranian Revolution without the Hostage Crisis and where institutional arrangements go differently. Initial proposals even under Khomeini didn't call for the full-on clerical system that developed. Relations with the US early on were hostile but not implacable. At points early on, there were people close to Khomeini pushing him to just become president rather than Supreme Leader. Any of those might have drastically changed US/Iranian relations and changed dynamics in the Middle East more broadly, where the US and Iran weren't locked into a quasi-Cold War.

- A scenario where the Central Powers wins but things don't turn into some kind of Pax Germanica; and that, rather, the German victory leads to its own destabilizing effects both domestically and within Europe that cause future conflicts (even if not alt-WWII level) erupt.

Last edited:
Calvin Coolidge deciding to run for re-election in 1928; Hubert Humphrey winning the 1968 election; William McKinley not assassinated; Ngo Dinh Diem not assassinated; Charles E. Hughes wins the 1916 election; Adolf Hitler killed in First World War; Thomas E. Dewey wins the 1948 election; Samuel J. Tilden wins the 1876 election; Chris Columbus sails for England rather than Spain

I saw the film Anzio on the schedule of programmes recently, and it made me wonder - WI the landing was (unlike OTL) an immediate success!? Probably with a different commander, but rather than 'dig-in' more effort was put into expanding their area of control, maybe the hills - which in OTL the Germans used to dominate them.
How much effect would a successful 'Anzio' have on the German's defensive line to the South?

Anyone done a TL?

McPherson

Banned
Might try these on for size.

1. A better and more ruthless Reconstruction that while it does not eliminate the problem of racism (practically impossible in any believable ATL sense) at least establishes de-facto equality before the law.
2. As a result of 1 and the organic laws implied. and because of the severe 1880 labor shortage, instead of importing Mexican origin farm labor to work the American southwest truck farms and infrastructure construction, the immigrants are Japanese and Chinese.
3. The 1880s Nicaragua canal gets dug by imported labor the hard way and the country gets filibustered … by France.

I saw the film Anzio on the schedule of programmes recently, and it made me wonder - WI the landing was (unlike OTL) an immediate success!? Probably with a different commander, but rather than 'dig-in' more effort was put into expanding their area of control, maybe the hills - which in OTL the Germans used to dominate them.
How much effect would a successful 'Anzio' have on the German's defensive line to the South?

Anyone done a TL?

How about Anzio fails? The Allies move immediately inland, but are crushed by the advancing Germans. The survivors are evacuated a few days after landing. This is going to affect D-Day planning but also the Anglo-American relationship. And since Operation Shingle was Churchill's brainchild, there will be inevitable comparisons to Gallipoli.

McPherson

Banned
After the Greece, Crete and Singapore disasters some of the questionable decisions in North Africa, Anzio probably will be more an internal British political matter than an Anglo-American one. In an American example, (Pearl Harbor, the Philippine Islands, and Indonesia (ABDA), Kasserine or Guadalcanal) the military professionals would be called in to answer to the civilians and some of those who really fouled up would be reassigned of fired or if political reasons required, they would be given professional help and isolated from important war-making operational decisions (Halsey or MacArthur). The American civilians during WW II set objectives and let the military figure it out. Churchill did not do that kind of set objectives and let the generals work in several instances to the allies' rue on several occasions. It is not that he was a poor strategist. He was a decent strategist, but he was a disaster as an operational artist. He should have generaled less and listened to Alan Brooke more.

Driftless

Donor
He should have generaled less and listened to Alan Brooke more.

Brooke could be a prickly bastard, but he deserves tremendous credit for his overall generalship and his diplomacy with Winston. To his credit, Churchill appreciated Brooke and often recognized after the fact when he had pushed Brooke too far.

There's a timeline: Alan Brooke doesn't become CIGS in 1941. Who does? Churchill didn't get on all that well with Dill, Wavell, or Auchinleck. As I understand it, Dill got farmed out (as the previous CIGS) to the US, but he and Marshall developed a great rapport, which proved a plus to the combined war effort.

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I've read that FDR had wanted to resign in his fourth term in order to become the first UN Secretary General. A post-war world with Franklin Roosevelt leading the United Nations, if only for a couple of years, would be quite interesting indeed.

xsampa

Banned
Here's an idea: the Antarctic Treaty System is not implemented and Antarctica becomes a flashpoint in the Cold War or an multipolar !alt-Cold War. Since military activity is permitted, and the Cold War mentality promotes it, troops are sent to 'guard' bases, particularly those that border enemy bases. The chance that guards might fire on each other, even by accident, is slim, but the threat of that occurring and the possibility of that snowballing into something worse keeps people on edge.

There are plenty of TLs which begin with a premise which has been used by many, or have ideas in the TL which again aren't that creative. But are there AH ideas which are plausible, but aren't commonly used (or in some cases, not used at all)?
What if Argentine has a a few nukes in 1983 ?

Deleted member 109224

Johnson is so out of the GOP mainstream by the 21st century that there is a reason why he chose to run third party.

I was referring to him doing third-party. Hence why I brought it up in the context of Bloomberg 2008 and Bloomberg 2012.