The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

I don’t agree with the first. The jaw dropping stupidity of invading Italy to kill Jews, the reality of the Holocaust and so on will keep nazism to the societal fringe.

The second one however ...
Well the advantage there is that people who believe the Clean Wehrmacht myth and people who bitch about the Wehrmacht stabbing Hitler in the back are going to get along about as well as the Judean Peoples Front and the Peoples Front of Judea.

I think even with TTL Rommel surviving and receiving a free card, in general the Wehrmacht won't have a good reputation in Germany post war. Besides, what the Heer did in TTL '44 could be a possible seed for future neonazi movements in Germany (the generals betrayed Hitler, triggered the civil war, the Reich could have won without their treason).

I think neonazi movements out of Germany won't emerge, if else because certain impulses would be kept in back and absorbed between fascism as established third way ideology. In short why a wannabe dictator would take the steps of Hitler when Mussolini TTL would be a more successful model to follow? Naturally there would be guys who would follow this former path and I see a case in particular (which would be a petty nuisance for TTL Italy as for Israel as well).

About the matter of decolonialism: naturally there would be more resistance from France and Italy. About Britain I am not so sure despite if Churchill wins in 1945, could adopt a more resilient stance in Africa - Asian colonies would go anyway but the fate of the European outposts in China could be slightly different, in particular one place: Tientsin.

But before delving more about this particular issue, would be important to know how the Pacific war was going and how Japan reacted to the chain of events triggered between the end of 1943 and start of 1944 by the Germans...

Last edited:
Rather than a 'hitler was backstabbed, he'd have won if not for the wehrmacht betrayal', it would be more likely if there' a national myth that if it were not for the senseless ideology-driven attack on the Jews in Italy, Germany with the stronk und wunderbar Wehrmacht would have ground down the western allies in Normandy and then swung east to defeat the red menace - the nazis were dragging Germany down, as is evidenced by the best SS troops loosing to untrained and poorly equipped rabble.

Rather than a 'hitler was backstabbed, he'd have won if not for the wehrmacht betrayal', it would be more likely if there' a national myth that if it were not for the senseless ideology-driven attack on the Jews in Italy, Germany with the stronk und wunderbar Wehrmacht would have ground down the western allies in Normandy and then swung east to defeat the red menace - the nazis were dragging Germany down, as is evidenced by the best SS troops loosing to untrained and poorly equipped rabble.
Well, Hitler has deliberately digged himself in the battle of Triestingrado, I bet more people will say he was completely mad. Which might be a way of scapegoating their faults for the Wehrmacht, even of we won't have Manstein's memoirs.

How's the Pacific War ITTL? The same as OTL, or has its course been butterflied away?

My guess is that the Allies are doing better since the British can now dedicate more resources to Asia. But there's also the chance that Japan never took Indochina, so no US embargo or it was delayed. The author will have to clarify that.

Great TL BTW, I'm following with interest.

On the other hand, less "wunderwaffen" and being beaten by a ragtag army of refugees isn't that good of a reputation.
Trieste was an LSAH op. So, rather the inverse of your statement? The SS bungeld everything they were doing.

If anything, the division between "germans" and "nazis" will be even stronger since they got an outright rebellion going instead of a bit of plotting and some individual actions. On the upside, housecleaning after the war will be more intense since both the shorter war and the non-communist rebels will allow to keep eyes more open and not hand out as many passes as OTL.

Speaking of wunderwaffen, how's the situation? In OTL, Me 262 was operational only since april 1944, while V-2/A-4 was operational only in september of the same year.
I still think there would be a scramble from all the major powers to get scientists and technologies, but being the wunderwaffen a lot less known, what could happen?

Last edited:
Speaking of wunderwaffen, how's the situation. In OTL, Me 262 was operational only since april 1944, while V-2/A-4 was operational only in september of the same year.
I still think there would be a scramble from all the major powers to get scientists and technologies, but being the wunderwaffen a lot less known, what could happen?
Jet planes would still be a priority, especially for Italy since I don't think there were significant experience aside from motorjets which doesn't count.
Eventually there would be a need for missiles, SLBM would be the main delivery system against the USSR for Italy I guess.
Somalia is a very good place for space launches.

Dolan

Banned
You know, I wonder if this timeline has any alternate history stories where Carpi failed to save Mussolini.
I... I could see the writer, whoever the background is... Still end up with Italy fighting on the allied side or at least Neutral. Due to siding with Germany would be seen as bigger folly ITTL.

I... I could see the writer, whoever the background is... Still end up with Italy fighting on the allied side or at least Neutral. Due to siding with Germany would be seen as bigger folly ITTL.
Perhaps they will highlight how Mussolini always thought of Hitler as a second-class emulator, and alliance with Germany will be seen as asb: they will probably feature Germany victory and a cold war between the two sides.

Dolan

Banned
Perhaps they will highlight how Mussolini always thought of Hitler as a second-class emulator, and alliance with Germany will be seen as asb: they will probably feature Germany victory and a cold war between the two sides.
Our Timeline is the ASB one, isn't that interesting?