OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

Happy be-early-ed New Year!

January 2019 (It's actually very late December 2018, but January 2019 looks more impressive)
upload_2018-12-29_20-31-1.png

Previous Versions
January 2018
April 2018
August 2018

Changelog

EUROPE

- Rockall no longer shown as disputed
- Trentino and South Tyrol now shown as separate
- Deleted a non-existent island off the coast of Murmansk Oblast
- Slight adjustments for legibility around Crimea
- Transnistria now shown as a disputed state instead of a faction in a war

ASIA-PACIFIC
-
Updated colours for Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Mongolia, the Taliban, and Australian territories
- Added Daman and Diu & Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- BIOT is now shown as claimed by Mauritius instead of the Seychelles
- Updated wars in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan

AFRICA
- Updated Angola colour
- Updated war in Libya

THE AMERICAS
- Added Zapatista Army of National Liberation

OTHER
- Changed colours for country borders, ice sheets, map exterior, and map outline
- Added patches displayed on the right

(the native american reservations are eyeballed, go easy on me :p)

Happy be-early-ed New Year!

January 2019 (It's actually very late December 2018, but January 2019 looks more impressive)
View attachment 428960

I love the sidebar de facto changes, like having the US protectorates marked as what they are and the native reserves shown as, again, what they are. Great job! As for the reservations, couldn't Canada and Brazil also be large enough here? I managed to scratch up a Brazil reserve map from my registry;

mapa-terras-indigenas-1280x1234.jpg

I even found a worlda reservations map of the US and Canada that seems accurate as far as I can tell;

indian-reserves-and-reservations-png.158733

Crazy Boris

Banned
US expansion.png

I was bored so I threw together a QBAM of US expansion. Let me know if I messed up anything, because I probably did (I actually missed West Florida, Alaska, and Oregon at first) or if the color pattern sucks, which it might.

I didn't include territories the US doesn't have anymore (Liberia, Philippines, Cuba, Panama Canal, Micronesian countries) or the Minor Outlying Islands, just the main parts of the US. (although maybe I should have at least included the MOIs).

Is it a good idea to show land purchases from the Iroquois and not other sovereign (or theoretically sovereign) indigenous nations?

Crazy Boris

Banned
Is it a good idea to show land purchases from the Iroquois and not other sovereign (or theoretically sovereign) indigenous nations?

AFAIK the Iroquois were the only tribe to have an actual state entity after 1783, and the others like the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Seminole etc. nations were more like the modern reservations in their political status, autonomous entities within the US (though the Cherokee may have been an independent state at some point before then?), and the cessions from them were ceding land to the federal government or state governments rather than to the US as a country.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this stuff is kinda confusing so I might not understand it as well as I should.

That said though, a map of all these land cessions would be interesting.

I was bored so I threw together a QBAM of US expansion. Let me know if I messed up anything, because I probably did (I actually missed West Florida, Alaska, and Oregon at first) or if the color pattern sucks, which it might.

I didn't include territories the US doesn't have anymore (Liberia, Philippines, Cuba, Panama Canal, Micronesian countries) or the Minor Outlying Islands, just the main parts of the US. (although maybe I should have at least included the MOIs).

I love me some Republic of Indian Stream

I've decided to start doing OTL maps, starting with a classic, Austria-Hungary in 1914. Sadly, this map does not include the autonomous cities within the Austria divisions, but they will be added in the future. Additionally, this site is iffy on map size, so the full size map can be found here.

You can vote for what map will be done next here.

An administrative map of OTL German Empire in 1900, was going to add names/labels, but it's already a bit clustered and there are plenty of resources for those to supplement this. As usual, Alternatehistory.com is being a butt so click the image for the 5000x4000 resolution.

Interesting, i'm not german but i've spent extensive ammount of time near bonn and i've heard kartoffel in the vast majority of cases.

Well, Kartoffel is the official Hochdeutsch for potato so it was bound to spread a bit.
Also given the extension east of Oder/Neisse this was the pre-WWII distribution, so the map is over seven decades old.

United States of Alcohol not related (apart maybe from the stuff they distill from potatoes...)

usaalcohol.jpg