Doctor Who: Re-Risen
2 x 45 Minute Episodes 7-14th September 1985

Brigadier Angela Reynolds: Judi Dench
Captain Mark Fisher: Paul McGann
Sgt James "Jock" Wallace: James Cosmo
Dr Rachel Jones: Carmen Munro

The Doctor (Brian Blessed) and Peri receive a message on the chrono-communicator from Earth, specifically from UNIT. They are invited to a 20 year reunion. Landing in the HQ grounds the Doctor is delighted to see Major-General Lethbridge Stewart and Professor Liz Shaw. Benton and Yates are sadly unavailable. Meeting up with the new UNIT command team the Doctor is amazed to see how much has changed. Not just in terms of staff but with weapons and Technology. Brigadier Reynolds tells the Doctor that UNIT has become both Earth and Space's first line of defence. The Doctor reflects on how much more danger there is now.

During the meeting Fisher is called away. When he returns he tells Reynolds that a UNIT away team has been found dead some 20 miles away near a cave complex. Reynolds leaves and asks Fisher to keep their guests company.

The Doctor is worried. When Peri asks what's wrong he simply says "They're back"

L-S and Liz come over after noticing the Doctor's mood. He looks at the group and says "Silurians". Both L-S and Liz are taken aback.

I love the fact that Brian Blessed is the Doctor.
Who is the Producer on Doctor Who?
By the end of the 21th season, JNT choices as the show Producer were very bad.
The OTL 6th Doctor outfit was a perfect example. JNT like the multi Color Coat even though every one hated it.

I been trying to come up with a alternate choice for Producer after the 20th season. But I can not think of any one.

"Assignment Earth" made me think it was going to be something more like: the USS Enterprise travels back in time to 1968 where Kirk and Spock encounter a mysterious individual calling himself the "Seventh Doctor".
Since he's only armed with his sonic fountain-pen, he enlists their help and warns that a nuclear war will ensue if they don't.

I love the fact that Brian Blessed is the Doctor.
Who is the Producer on Doctor Who?
By the end of the 21th season, JNT choices as the show Producer were very bad.
The OTL 6th Doctor outfit was a perfect example. JNT like the multi Color Coat even though every one hated it.

I been trying to come up with a alternate choice for Producer after the 20th season. But I can not think of any one.

For the producer I've decided on Philip Hinchcliffe

"Assignment Earth" made me think it was going to be something more like: the USS Enterprise travels back in time to 1968 where Kirk and Spock encounter a mysterious individual calling himself the "Seventh Doctor".
Since he's only armed with his sonic fountain-pen, he enlists their help and warns that a nuclear war will ensue if they don't.

Assignment Earth is pretty much a misnomer seeing as there's a moonbase in the new series.

The sixth docs costume:
dw6.jpeg

Nice idea, couple of points.
Who is going to be in a new UNIT the Brig is retried, Yates 'left' sometime before and to have Benton in charge, well he was an NCO, if of course it is set in 1985.
A totally new cast could well be, well not good. Spin offs will little or no continuity from the first program have not always been well excepted.
Were's the money going to come from? Doctor Who was being starved of funds at the time so this new program is unlikely to have any money at all.
A much better option would be an idea from 1978, I think, Jago and Litefoot. They have had 11+ cd's out on Big Finish
There was Colonel Charles Crichton, who appeared in The Five Doctors (1983), as the UNIT-UK OC after Lethbridge-Stewart.

I know it's the 80s, but UNIT should have female representation.
Indeed, Juliet Bravo started in 1980. And their were Corporals Caroline Bell and Maisie Hawke in Third Doctor era UNIT.

ETA: I'd forgotten about The Gentle Touch described as "The first British series to feature a female police detective as its leading character" and which not only preceded Juliet Bravo but was more popular.

Last edited:
Re-Risen Continued:

Reynolds and the team are outside the cave complex where the UNIT crew was found dead. Jones states that they were killed by an energy blast. Munroe and a small armed unit approach the opening.

Back at HQ The Doctor has told Peri about the Silurians and is concerned that if UNIT interferes then there could be bloodshed. L-S says he has an idea. Following him to a storage area The Doctor is astounded to see Bessie in mint condition. L-S said one of his last requests before he left UNIT was to keep her safe.

The Doctor, Peri, Liz and L-S drive towards the caves and park half a mile away from the UNIT team. Recalling his third incarnation the Doctor leads the team into the caves via another route.

Meanwhile UNIT start to recce the complex to find the Silurians. Fisher feels that the threat is viable and should be neutralised. Reynolds castigates him saying "that is what happened the last time"

Meanwhile The Doctor's team find a generator and 4 hibernation capsules. They are all open. Suddenly they are intercepted by a group of heavily armed Silurians….

Chapter Three: You're in the Army Now

UNIT:Main Cast

Brigadier Angela Reynolds: Judi Dench
Captain Mark Fisher: Paul McGann
Sgt James "Jock" Wallace: James Cosmo
Dr Rachel Jones: Carmen Munro

Writer: Brian Clemens
Executive Producer: John Nathan-Turner

6x45 minute episodes 6.30 to 7.15 on Saturday Evenings BBC 1

TX dates 23rd Nov to 28th Dec 1985

Synopsis

UNIT's remit had been expanded from its initial investigative form. It now acts as a scientific Military police force who are charged with stopping environmental and genetic criminal activities.

The UNIT of the 1980's is a very different organisation from its genesis of the 60's and 70's. The world has become a more dangerous place, not just from extra-terrestrial threats but also from earthbound concerns.

Nuclear energy, terrorism, East-West relations and bio-weapons pose threats to the world and UNIT has been enhanced to cope.

Whilst still controlled by the Military UNIT is staffed by medical professions and socio-political experts to look not just at why threats occur but also how to prevent or nullify.

Operating over 4 terrains, land, sea, air and lunar this version of UNIT is seen as Earth's first line of defence.
Interesting. There seem to be elements of Doomwatch and some of the darker classics of '80s UK series like Blood Money, Codename Icarus, Bird of Prey, The Mad Death, Edge of Darkness, The Day of the Triffids et cetera.

All of this is correct in our timeline, but remember that Doctor Who takes place in a Universe where the British sent Mars Missions in the early 70's and World War Three was on the verge of breaking out at least twice and Britain had a earlier Female Prime Minister. So it likely that The Military is also different and that there were career paths open that were not available in the OTL.
Exactly. I feel this is often forgotten in Who timelines.

Also there was more nuclear proliferation, actual orbital launches from the UK, at least one mission into 'deep space' around 1980, the WTC was built earlier1, the internet arrives earlier (C-Day in '66). Other novels (The Devil Goblins from Neptune and Who Killed Kennedy?) have the UK governed by a Liberal PM in the early seventies leading a parliamentary coalition.

It's also possible that the OTL Third Agricultural Revolution either didn't happen at all or was less effective, given the vast interest in the earlier stories in alternate food production.

1. An obscure factoid from the novel Salvation that may be canon. Or not.

ETA: I'd forgotten about The Gentle Touch described as "The first British series to feature a female police detective as its leading character" and which not only preceded Juliet Bravo but was more popular.

God knows why because it was awful. I've always thought that Juliet Bravo was the more influential, as it featured a woman as boss.

Brian Blessed should always be written as BRIAN BLESSED! Also a character called Gordon is needed. :D

With Brian Clemens involved, there would be plenty of ‘hard men’ actors who could be UNIT members.
Martin Shaw
Lewis Collins
Bill Murray
Denis Waterman
Patrick Mower
Ray Winston
Bob Hoskins etc
Though UNIT soldiers usually there to get exterminates by darleks

another option would be Paul Darrow (Avon from Blake's7)
one moment had he not ? yes !
latest

from Doctor Who and the Silurians (Captain Sam Hawkins)

Last edited:
Re-Risen (Conclusion)

Reynolds receives a message saying that Bessie has been located half a mile from their position. She tenses up. The Doctor's party are being interrogated by the Silurians. One of them recognises Liz from their encounter in 1970. (*) He then realises that the team with the exception of Peri was those responsible for their re-interment. The order come through for their execution.

UNIT have entered the opening near Bessie and have started to track down the Doctor's team. Fisher is still concerned about the threat to Earth but Reynolds once again lectures him.

Meanwhile the Doctor is trying to persuade the Silurians that they are no threat. The lead Silurian says that their legacy as masters of Earth was destroyed by the humans. He intends to have the team executed. L-S states that he was the individual responsible for sealing the cave in 1970. He was ordered to do so and has regretted it since. If the Silurians wish to avenge themselves that he will put his life on the line so the rest can go free.

The lead Silurian scoffs at this saying that L-S is trying to warn the humans by allowing the others to reinter them. The Silurians aim their weapons and prepare to fire. At that moment the UNIT team enter the chamber. The Doctor and L-S plea with both sides to lower their weapons.

Reynolds puts her revolver on the floor, walks over to the Silurians and makes a statement that shocks all. It turns out that the cave complex had been secretly monitored since 1970 and have been aware that the Silurians have awoken. The away team was sent by Reynolds under the highest secrecy to see if they had left the complex. Her orders were to ensure that the Silurians were kept safe.

Under other circumstances she would have ensured her orders were kept secret, however she felt it was necessary to inform UNIT, particularly after Fisher's constant interjections to reveal the truth.

The Doctor tells the Silurians that the humans are honourable people and are not afraid to admit when they were wrong. The Silurians lower their weapons. An offer is made to help the Silurians but they tell the Humans that they are still an immature race. The Doctor suggests that the Silurians are re-frozen and their stasis chambers programmed to open in 10,000 years. By that time the humans will have progressed....hopefully.

The chambers resealed. Everyone returns to UNIT HQ. Farewells are made and the Doctor and Peri leave. As the TARDIS dematerialises. Reynolds is called to the command centre where a message is being received. She picks up a phone and simply says "UNIT". (**)

NB:
I. It is unclear how the Silurians recognise the Doctor
II The ending theme tune is the new UNIT theme

Re-Risen averaged 8.3 million viewers although its highly probable that some of the audience were interested in seeing old faces. Doctor Who Magazine lauded the episode as a fitting ending to Liz's story.

At the time however reactions were more mixed. The Doctor, Peri, L-S and Liz were effectively in enhanced cameos whilst the main focus was on the UNIT team. The BBC had made it clear that the story was to be an introduction to the new spin off.

Yet the positive response was welcomed at Broadcasting House and the future for the new UNIT was set fair.