AHC: “Lesotho” in your country

I’m jumping on the “[Blank] in/for your country” thread bandwagon:

Your challenge is to come up with an AH scenario where an enclave country is formed within the borders of your homeland nation.

Ideally, the new enclave country has to be bigger than a city-state (the thread title is “ “Lesotho” in your country”, not “ “San Marino”/“Vatican” in your country” ;))

Have the Italians be more extensive in their attempts to acquire the support of the Ethiopian Jews (and international Jewry as a whole) during their occupation, encouraging the formation of an independent Jewish identity from a historically Christian Ethiopia and play up the history of the Kingdom of Semien while also providing incentives for Jews fleeing Germany to settle in Ethiopia. If Italy remains neutral in World War 2 and/or joins the Allies late in the war, they hold onto Ethiopia for a bit before being forced to eventually abandon it but the Semien region has been quite successful as a result of the Italian investments and gradual weakening of the Arbegnoch's resistance. As Ethiopia regains her independence, the authorities of the region take the chance to declare the establishment of the independent Kingdom of Semien - how long it would remain, I have no idea.

“He’s got a point there: the perversity of the Privy Council in relation to the Hutt River Province”

Australia’s single land border relating to recognised claims is on the continent of Australia where it envelops the two enclaves of Hutt River province. Due to the perversity of UK’s final appeals point Hutt River is a recognised state. The Invasion of Hutt River is a standard exercise for Army officer recruits

count Brussels-Capital Region as city state ?
it size is 161,38 km² and was formed during the federalization of Belgium
and got three of five governments of Belgium, the National, Flemish and Brussels Parlament (soon also the Walloons too)

That's easy as far as the US is concerned - either the Vermont Republic stays independent, and/or Rhode Island does not ratify the Constitution.

“He’s got a point there: the perversity of the Privy Council in relation to the Hutt River Province”

Australia’s single land border relating to recognised claims is on the continent of Australia where it envelops the two enclaves of Hutt River province. Due to the perversity of UK’s final appeals point Hutt River is a recognised state. The Invasion of Hutt River is a standard exercise for Army officer recruits

This is the Australian-est thing I've heard so far this year.

I’m jumping on the “[Blank] in/for your country” thread bandwagon:

Your challenge is to come up with an AH scenario where an enclave country is formed within the borders of your homeland nation.

Ideally, the new enclave country has to be bigger than a city-state (the thread title is “ “Lesotho” in your country”, not “ “San Marino”/“Vatican” in your country” ;))
There was the Comtat Venaissin...

I'd go for some sort of Native American state, either a polity that is somehow strong enough to avoid being annexed into the US directly or a bantustan that later gets spun off into an actual country.

I’m assuming you’re therefore not Australian and this is therefore a compliment not an invitation to take off my glasses and step outside. ;)

I'm comparing it to 'you absolute pelican' shouted at me by Australian squad-mates in online shooters. As of February, that was the Australian-est thing I'd heard all year.

It's a long shot but here we go anyway:

A general worldwide shift towards more complete decolonisation (presumably caused by 'progressive-nationalist' types becoming more influential in the 1970s leads to these kind of bantustan arrangements being relatively commonly supported by Labour parties. Fast forward to the 1990s and the Maori sovereignty movement, and the Tuhoe people of the Urewera range manage to get their own state recognised. It would be completely surrounded by New Zealand and thus economically dependent, but would be allowed to dictate their own social and cultural development. Given how traditionalist the Tuhoe are, and how remote their lands are, this is probably the only workable example in New Zealand.

Tlaxcala in Mexico.
Maybe something about the Tlaxcaltecs given more autonomy in New Spain (they were allies of the Spaniards against the aztecs and were under protection by the Spanish Crown) and when Mexico’s independence war begins they also declare independence and form their own state.

In the United States, an independent Deseret would be the most likely candidate to fill such a position.

I don't see the Federal Government willingly letting Deseret secede, since it was American territory following the Mexican-American War. I also don't see them, in any other situation, letting such an enclave exist in the first place. Sooner or later, it's going to end up as part of the United States.

I see similar issues with any actual independent native state - there's no way the US government will let them be independent.

Charles the 1st is more successful and a deal is done-he can keep Wales as it's king in exchange for giving up the rest of the country. Wales has remained an absolute monarchy since then in that ATL.

I don't see the Federal Government willingly letting Deseret secede, since it was American territory following the Mexican-American War. I also don't see them, in any other situation, letting such an enclave exist in the first place. Sooner or later, it's going to end up as part of the United States.

I see similar issues with any actual independent native state - there's no way the US government will let them be independent.

Ehhh, not totally true. American Indian tribes weren't even citizens for a long time, and Native Americans weren't fully enfranchised until 1962. Relations between recognized Tribes and the U.S. government was for a long time carried out by the State Department. In other words, although Tribal Nations weren't fully independent states, they were recognized as sovereign entities, and still Native American Reservations remain some elements of that to this day.

I don't know enough about the history of American Indian law or reservations policy, but it might be plausible for policy to go in a different direction, and for reservations to be recognized as independent states, perhaps in free association with the U.S. (like Palau and the Federated States of Micronesia).