Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia said:
Lewis was a prominent figure in the British Labour Party, which, in emphasizing parliamentary action and organizational prowess, took an approach similar to the Bund's.[28] Upon his 1935 graduation, the party offered him a candidacy in a safe seat in the British House of Commons.[35] This left Lewis with a difficult decision: whether to stay in England or go home to Canada. If he had stayed in England, he likely would have been a partner in a prominent London law firm associated with Stafford Cripps and become a cabinet minister the next time Labour formed a government.[14] Cripps, then a prominent barrister and Labour Party official, was grooming Lewis to be Prime Minister. Lewis' other choice was to return to Montreal and help build the fledgling Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF), with no guarantee of success. A personal note from J. S. Woodsworth, dated June 19, 1935, asked Lewis to take this latter option;[36] in the end, he did.[35]

David-Lewis.png

What's the coding to have a collapsible window within a wikibox? Or, to at least make it look like it does in the pic?
| module = {{collapsed infobox section begin |Ministerial offices
|titlestyle = border:1px dashed lightgrey}}{{Infobox officeholder
|embed = yes

Then whatever office, then:

{{Collapsed infobox section end}}
}}

The pretzel does Bush in:

1.png

2.png

Given how 'sticky' voting is in the US nowadays and the relative small number of swing voters, 45-53 is pretty much a landslide, and I don't see Dean getting anywhere close to that, Darth Cheney clichés aside. Particularly, y'know, on the back of a dead president effect, that's going to ramp up the 'rally round the flag effect' hugely.

Baar Topinka is a great hipster Illinois choice but is really too moderate for a national GOP ticket.

How does someone as right-wing as Brad Carson get nominated nationally?

jqF15Xq.png

Emperor Johnson I
Johnson I, born Lyndon Baines Johnson, was Emperor of the American Kingdom and holds the record for the longest reigning monarch within the American Kingdom with a total time of 66 years on the throne. He was universally known for his various marriages to foreign leaders, politicians and celebrities which expanded several breif titles upon his tens of children, all of whom would only be able to take the throne in the event of the death of both him and his consort, and then have to convince the Princely Electors to vote for him or her among the large number of possible candidates which would emerge from various noble homes and families across the American Kingdom.

He used his substantial family fortune from his father being appointed the lucrative position of Duke of the Native's Purse over the Texan-Oklahoman region shortly before it's dissolution in 1933. Upon the death of King Coolidge in August of 1934, he announced his candidacy for the election the same year.
Using the Johnson Treatment in medical benefits, he would urge a new spiritual awakening for much of the nation, still mired in the scandals of former President-Minister Al Capone, who would be kept on as the Minister-President until his death in 1950.

He would forge an incredibly antagonistic working relationship with Minister-President Robert Kennedy from 1961 until 1963 when he was sacked and replaced with Ronald Reagan. Among the foreign crises which he would be forced to either remark on or meet with the Minister-President over would be the Ottoman Crisis from 1969 to 1970 the Argentine Uprising in 1972, the Irish-French Crisis of 1974, the Foochow Commune's war against China from 1977-1978 the acquisition of nuclear weapons by the rouge Somalia regime in 1985 and the Soviet Invasion of Manchukuo in 1989 upon the death of emperor Hirohito. Most of the President-Ministers staring in 1989 were also serving with dual mandates as the consorts via marriages , influencing public policy over the increasingly senile Johnson as his health began to decline in the early 90s.

On December 5th,2001, after getting up for the day and putting on his tie, he suffered a massive heart attack, being able to reach the receiver and dial the Imperial Guard with his last words "I hurt real bad..." Emperor Johnson would immediately be taken to the Dallas Hospital, where he would be declared dead within seventeen minutes of arriving. A State funeral was held for the Texan man that had guided American Foreign Policy for a little more than half a century. His final Consort, Bob Dole, was elected the new emperor after hard competition and a very narrow win in beating the 24 various noble houses that had been influencing the Johnson regency and had declared candidacies for Emperor.

His coronation marked the begining of the domination of the Texas Dynasty for half a century in politics, with most of his Minister-Presidents hailing from the Lone Star State. Despite ruling the country for four years shy of seventy, the only era name historians grant the regent was his action of disillusion between the American Kingdom and the Iraqi Kingdom when he divorced Saddam Hussein in 1970 to marry John F. Kennedy shortly after.

American Emperor Elections, 1934
Upon the Death of Coolidge I in August, several noble figures and high ranking family members announced their candidacy for the needed princely electors. The Texan Johnson was the first to announce, picking up wins along the new English coast, save for Massachusetts, which went for the second to announce member of Franklin Delano Roosevelt from New York. Throughout the First of several Regional Elections and primaries which commenced with Maine's 22 Princely Electors all pledging their slate of votes for Johnson on August 5th. The rest of the Northeast went to Johnson handily, save for a narrow upset loss in Massachusetts, where the 19 Princely Electors voted for FDR.

With the first part of the Regions done, next came races within the Midwest throughout the rest of August, where a shocking upset in Ohio by Louisianan royalty Huey Long nearly tripped up Johnson's planned campaign stop in Michigan, forging ahead with a hard loss of 47 to 2 in the 49 total Princely Electors to Roosevelt. Encouraged by these results, Duke of Iowa Herbert Hoover threw his hat into the ring along with the aging Count of Mississippi John Sharps Williams. Indiana and Illinois bucked Johnson for Hoover and Roosevelt respectively until the assassination of FDR when touring the victor's garden within Chicago ended his Democratic hopes for the Throne.

After a week long moratorium on campaigning for the Royal Funeral of Roosevelt, Johnson strengthened his position with victories in the begining of September along the eastern seaboard regarding the former southern states. It was in this region that Williams would see his only victories of the home state of Mississippi and Florida, with the closeness of Florida's results prompting Williams to not campaign anymore. Huey Long would suffer an near fatal stroke during his victory speech in the Louisiana primaries, forcing his withdrawal from the race on September 24th.

With the dropping out of Long, there were only the ghost candidacy of Williams by stonewall princely electors and the more formidable competition of Hoover, who swept much of the Great Plains, with his largest prize of Iowa carrying 28 Princely Electors all slated for him. Despite this, upon the blessing of Utah's 7 electors, Johnson passed the magical 2018 needed to win and became Emperor Elect.

Deleted member 92121

I'm pretty sure the genie would've made Aladdin immortal. (I don't remember that being a rule like no killing)
Alladinwho? Oh, you mean the great Ali, mighty is he, Ali Ababwa.

Do you really think he would want the curse of immortality? To live forever and watch the entire world he knew collapse around him, while he stands as some kind of unholy monument, unnatural in it's immaculate shell, while the soul within lingers? WOULD HE SIR!?!? WOULD HE DAMN HIMSELF TO SUCH HORROR!?!?!

Maybe the Great Ahmed would, but not the mighty Ali Ababwa.

You know, Queen even made a song about that. :openedeyewink:

Given how 'sticky' voting is in the US nowadays and the relative small number of swing voters, 45-53 is pretty much a landslide, and I don't see Dean getting anywhere close to that, Darth Cheney clichés aside. Particularly, y'know, on the back of a dead president effect, that's going to ramp up the 'rally round the flag effect' hugely.

Baar Topinka is a great hipster Illinois choice but is really too moderate for a national GOP ticket.

How does someone as right-wing as Brad Carson get nominated nationally?
If the election were today I’d likely agree with you, but 2004 isn’t far removed from Bill Clinton’s OTL landslides or Obama’s 2008 win, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable particularly in a scenario where Cheney explicitly screws things up. I’d also agree with the rally around the flag idea, but I think any electoral benefits would have faded three years later (though it certainly helps in the midterms) and the nature of Bush’s death (i.e. it being a freak accident as opposed to an assasination) probably dilutes the effect anyway.

You’re probably right re. Baar Topinka, though the idea here was more that her folksiness blue collar appeal (and the fun personality she’s become over the course of her then 2 years in office) is enough for Bush to take the risk.

As for Carson my rationale was a) the party is still in the mood for Bill Clinton-esque centrism, particularly as the (largely inaccurate) consensus is that Dean governed too far to the left and that was why he failed (ignoring the fact that Dean wasn’t particularly left-wing and anyone elected in 2004 would’ve been screwed); and b) even still, Carson moved a bit to the left anyway after his 2010 re-election explicitly to set himself up for a presidential campaign (certainly IOTL his term in the Obama administration was relatively progressive - or at least the policies he was associated with were - so I don’t view this as particularly unreasonable).

The Rajneeshi Rebellion: Fear and Loathing in the 1990s

Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown

- California Uber Alles

During the disastrous presidency of Donald Rumsfeld (1981-1987), members of the Rajneeshi movement built a commune in Antelope, Oregon. Over the course of the 1980s, thousands of Rajneeshis settled in the commune of Rajneeshpuram. Since the United States was still suffering from the aftermath of the Second Great Depression, the Rajneeshis were able to recruit thousands of desperate people, many of them homeless, looking for employment or shelter. Following multiple instances of mass poisoning and terrorism, the Rajneeshis were able to seize control of Wasco County in the 1984 local elections. By 1985, Rajneeshi missionaries recruited among the disenfranchised in nearly every major city in the United States. Rajneeshi missionaries were particularly concentrated on the West Coast. While the Rumsfeld administration publicly attacked the Rajneeshi movement, government documents uncovered by the Sanders administration revealed that President Rumsfeld had secretly funneled money and weapons to the Rajneeshis. Rumsfeld's motivation was to increase support for the Republican Party in Oregon by using the Rajneesh movement as a boogeyman. By increasing the strength of the Rajneeshis, Rumsfeld hoped the Republican Party could benefit from a right-wing backlash against the movement. Rumsfeld-aligned politicians insinuated that the Rajneeshis were foreign agents working on behalf of Sanjay Gandhi, and the Christian Values Party was particularly vehement in its opposition to the Rajneeshis. During the Second American Civil War, Rajneeshpuram was considered to be one of the Bozeman Communes. The Rajneeshis established several Bozeman communes throughout the Pacific Northwest, and collaborated with Californian forces against Christian Values militants. The Rajneeshi Cult inspired a fanatical devotion among its militia members, establishing itself as one of the most militarily powerful of the Bozeman Communes. While the Rajneeshis were very unpopular in Oregon, its' military successes caused some Oregonians to gravitate towards the group. Following the death of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, the founder of the cult, in 1990, the Bhagwan's personal Secretary, Ma Anand Sheela, purged her rivals and established herself as the new leader of the cult. Following the defeat of the Christian States of America, Ma Anand Sheela ordered the Rajneeshi communes to accept thousands of wartime refugees in order to further boost their ranks.

The Rajneeshis remained controversial in Oregonian politics throughout the 1990s. Many compared the Rajneeshis unfavorably to the Christian Values Party. While Oregon was admitted to the Republic of California, it retained its state constitution and autonomous control. The Rajneeshis had a negligible impact on national politics, but remained powerful within Oregon. The Rajneeshis maintained cordial relations with President Dellums due to their contributions in the Second American Civil War. Quietly, the Rajneeshis elected several of their members to political office and infiltrated the Oregonian state government. Ma Anand Sheela ran for Governor of Oregon in 1998. Rajneeshi activists, through a mixture of bribery and intimidation, were able to secure We The People's gubernatorial nomination for Sheela. Incumbent Governor Barbara Roberts secured the Democratic nomination through only a plurality of votes. Her low approval ratings caused Senator John Kitzhaber to launch an independent bid for Governor, splitting the Democratic vote. With the Libertarians also fielding a candidate, Sheela won a narrow victory in a four-way race. Following her inauguration in 1999, Sheela quickly appointed Rajneeshis to all available leading government positions. Despite the opposition of the State Legislature, Sheela imposed numerous controversial policies by executive order increasing Rajneeshi control over the state. The Oregonian state government openly promoted Rajneeshism, and Sheela mandated that public schools teach Rajneeshi religion to students. When the Oregonian State Legislature called an special session to impeach Sheela for violating the separation of Church and State, they mysteriously came down with Legionnaire's Disease. Despite failing to reach a legislative Quorum, the Rajneeshi members of the State Legislature voted down the impeachment of Sheela and ratified Sheela's power grab over Oregon's public schools. While the Rajneeshi laws were challenged before the Californian Supreme Court, Sheela vowed not to uphold the Supreme Court's rulings. Following the sudden death of Oregon's Secretary of State, Sheela appointed a Rajneeshi to fill the position, in violation of the State Constitution. The new Secretary of State then purged the voter rolls of Sheela's opponents.

The moves by Governor Sheela to establish a Rajneeshi dictatorship resulted in widespread popular discontent. Violent incidents broke out between supporters and opponents of Governor Sheela. In 2000, tens of thousands of protesters assembled in Salem demanding Sheela' resignation. After protesters surrounded the Governor's Mansion and launched projectiles against the building, Sheela ordered Rajneeshi security forces to open fire on the crowd, killing hundreds of protesters and causing the crowd to disperse. Sheela subsequently claimed that the Democratic Party of Oregon had organized the protests to launch a coup against her administration. Sheela subsequently ordered her political opponents to be arrested, giving Sheela unlimited control over Oregon's state government. Sheela was indicted by the Attorney General of California for ordering the murder of protesters, and the California National Police issued a warrant for her arrest. President Jerry Brown ordered the Californian Armed Forces to carry out the Attorney General's arrest warrant and overthrow the Rajneeshi dictatorship in Oregon. In response, the Rajneeshis launched numerous terrorist attacks against California and murdered thousands of Brown supporters in Oregon. In the summer of 2000, California suffered from a wave of Rajneeshi bombings as the Californian Armed Forces prepared to invade Oregon. A Rajneeshi suicide bomber attacked President Brown's Mansion and killed several members of his staff. Following the bombing, President Brown ordered the Californian Army to seize Salem. In the Battle of Salem, the Oregonian National Guard, under the command of the Rajneeshis, was roundly defeated by Californian forces. Governor Sheela fled to the compound in Rajneeshpuram. In the Battle of Antelope, the Rajneeshi Army was defeated by California. California's superior air power played a key role in defeating the Rajneeshis. Krishna Devi turned Governor Sheela over to the authorities and arranged a surrender on behalf of the Rajneeshis. Following the arrest of Governor Sheela and the Californian occupation of Rajneeshpuram, the Rajneesh movement was effectively dissolved. Governor Sheela was eventually executed for her crimes. Following the collapse of Oregon's state government, President Brown chose to impose unitary control over Oregon, effectively acting as Governor until emergency elections were held. Brown amended the Californian Constitution to reduce Oregonian autonomy, allowing the Californian Congress to overturn laws made by the Oregonian government. While the original structure of the Oregonian state government was restored, power in California was further centralized under President Brown. The bombing of Rajneeshpuram by the Californian Air Force, which resulted in heavy civilian casualties, remains controversial.

rajneeshis.PNG

Last edited:
The Rajneeshi Rebellion: Fear and Loathing in the 1990s

Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown

- California Uber Alles

I just so happened to be listening to this song while reading this. Fits pretty well even if Brown’s response was somewhat justifiable under the circumstances

If the election were today I’d likely agree with you, but 2004 isn’t far removed from Bill Clinton’s OTL landslides or Obama’s 2008 win, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable particularly in a scenario where Cheney explicitly screws things up. I’d also agree with the rally around the flag idea, but I think any electoral benefits would have faded three years later (though it certainly helps in the midterms) and the nature of Bush’s death (i.e. it being a freak accident as opposed to an assasination) probably dilutes the effect anyway.

Obama's 2008 win was precisely at the maximum of what can realistically be achieved with current US voting behaviour, the Republicans were at an absolute nadir at that point, the incumbent president was at approvals in the 20s and the economy was in collapse. I'm not sure how you're envisaging Cheney screwing up but for him to replicate 2008 in such a short time seems strange to me - even if he invades Literally Everywhere (Which I don't think he would) I don't think that cuts its - IOTL Iraq only became a negative just after the election, and national security was a huge mobilisation factor amongst Republicans and Republican-leaners in 2004, 9/11 was still casting a shadow over that election, so I think a dead Bush, who would be sainted as the man with the megaphone in the ruins of Ground Zero would too.

You’re probably right re. Baar Topinka, though the idea here was more that her folksiness blue collar appeal (and the fun personality she’s become over the course of her then 2 years in office) is enough for Bush to take the risk.

Does Jeb Bush remotely strike you as a risk-taker? It's not a coincidence that the two times we've had female running-mates in OTL have been instances where the nominee was on the backfoot and was consciously trying to shake up the race - and they were also both sops to the base, not contra it. (Though I think at least for the Democrats we're now on the cusp of a situation where a female running mate is going to be chosen on merit/in a 'normal' election) In a race where Bush is presumably the heavy favourite, he'd go with the Hillary formula of bland white guy rather than go into battle against the right.

As for Carson my rationale was a) the party is still in the mood for Bill Clinton-esque centrism, particularly as the (largely inaccurate) consensus is that Dean governed too far to the left and that was why he failed (ignoring the fact that Dean wasn’t particularly left-wing and anyone elected in 2004 would’ve been screwed); and b) even still, Carson moved a bit to the left anyway after his 2010 re-election explicitly to set himself up for a presidential campaign (certainly IOTL his term in the Obama administration was relatively progressive - or at least the policies he was associated with were - so I don’t view this as particularly unreasonable).

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to pull off the 'Surprise, I'm mainstream!' switch in presidential politics - particularly in the age of social media vetting - especially if you've accumulated Senate votes which contradict that. Particularly in somewhere like Oklahoma, if Carson does get re-elected it'll be because he's accumulated a record right up to 2010 which is extremely right-wing. (Incidentally, Clinton in 1992 actually ran economically to the left of Tsongas and Brown, so how right-wing he was in nomination terms is actually overstated by both his partisans and detractors, he didn't win the nomination as a right-wing fringe candidate)

Last edited:
Alladinwho? Oh, you mean the great Ali, mighty is he, Ali Ababwa.

Do you really think he would want the curse of immortality? To live forever and watch the entire world he knew collapse around him, while he stands as some kind of unholy monument, unnatural in it's immaculate shell, while the soul within lingers? WOULD HE SIR!?!? WOULD HE DAMN HIMSELF TO SUCH HORROR!?!?!

Maybe the Great Ahmed would, but not the mighty Ali Ababwa.
Well he could also wish for time to remain the same, basically including a death date for a character whose friend is a genie wasn't a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.