House of Romanov rules Britain

VVD0D95

Banned
A random thought occurred to me today.

How might one get a branch of the house of Romanov to rule Britain?

One assumes that it would need a female monarch married to a Russian prince

Is it feasible?

Considering that in the late 1800s early 1900s most of the monarchs were cousins it's possible to have a Romanov to marry a British royal. But GB would never have let a Russian on the Throne. In that time Russia was seen as sub-European. Especially in GB.

VVD0D95

Banned
Considering that in the late 1800s early 1900s most of the monarchs were cousins it's possible to have a Romanov to marry a British royal. But GB would never have let a Russian on the Throne. In that time Russia was seen as sub-European. Especially in GB.
So If say a Queen regnant married a Russian prince would thay be possible? And then their son being the first monarch of the house of Romanov. Would such a thing be possible during the eighteenth century?

A random thought occurred to me today.

How might one get a branch of the house of Romanov to rule Britain?

One assumes that it would need a female monarch married to a Russian prince

Is it feasible?

Mother of Prince Phillip was Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna (Queen of Greece).

Sub-European in the 19th century? Wow! Do you understand that Romanovs of that period had been officially a branch of Holstein-Gottorp and practically pure breed Germans (Peter III was 25% Russian so you can compute percentage for the rest)?

Last edited:
I think it's fairly easy. Give Alexander II a younger twin brother who comes with him who captivates Victoria even more than Albert when the still Grand Duke Alexander Nikolaevich visits her in 1839.

I think it's fairly easy. Give Alexander II a younger twin brother who comes with him who captivates Victoria even more than Albert when the still Grand Duke Alexander Nikolaevich visits her in 1839.

Funny that you mentioned it: presumably during that visit “captivation” did happen with Alexander but Nicholas I killed the idea. Not sure if this is not a legend but it was used to explain Victoria’s rabid Russophobia. :)

Certainly possible. Maybe a Alliance between GB and Russia during the reign of Peter the Great is cemented this way.

Peter considered alliance with the Hapsburgs to be of a higher importance and his son married Hapsburg princess. Alliance with GB was kind of problematic because, while there were mutual economic interests, the Brits resisted Peter’s attempts to turn Baltic into the Russian lake and eventually sided with Sweden.
OTOH, perhaps marriage of one of Peter’s daughters to somebody on a line of the British succession.

Funny that you mentioned it: presumably during that visit “captivation” did happen with Alexander but Nicholas I killed the idea. Not sure if this is not a legend but it was used to explain Victoria’s rabid Russophobia. :)

Victoria was already a reigning monarch, and Alexander was the heir to Russia's throne. They couldn't marry without huge issues. Victoria needed a younger son. Let's say Alexander had a younger twin brother named Peter. Let Peter Nikolaevich be the one to marry Victoria rather than Albert Coburg.

Victoria was already a reigning monarch, and Alexander was the heir to Russia's throne. They couldn't marry without huge issues. Victoria needed a younger son. Let's say Alexander had a younger twin brother named Peter. Let Peter Nikolaevich be the one to marry Victoria rather than Albert Coburg.
What about something like this with Peter as Alexander's twin

Queen Victoria & Peter Nikolaevich
  1. Peter Edward (1840 - 1921)
  2. Victoria Adelaide Mary Alexandra (1841 - 1877)
  3. Alexandra Maud Mary (1843 - 1845)
  4. Alice Augusta Victoria (1844 - 1927)
  5. Charlotte Mary Victoria Feodora (1846 -1932)
  6. Mary Caroline Petra (1848)
  7. Helena Sophia Olga Victoria (1850 - 1905
  8. Alfred Nicholas Peter (1853 - 1918)

Last edited:

I know about impracticality of the schema. There was an younger brother, Constantine (8 years younger than Victoria) who was quite charming (and extremely liberal) so there is no need to invent a brand new Grand Duke.

I know about impracticality of the schema. There was an younger brother, Constantine (8 years younger than Victoria) who was quite charming (and extremely liberal) so there is no need to invent a brand new Grand Duke.

I think the reason for the made-up twin is that I don't see Britain/Victoria waiting for Constantine to come to age. If the choice is Albert, who's ready to go, and Constantine, who's 12-13 when Victoria gets married IOTL, they're going to pick Albert. By contrast, if Albert and the ATL twin (Constantine/Peter) are both similar ages, the issue of wanting Victoria to pop out kids ASAP doesn't become a dealbreaker for the Russian option.

I would assume you would want a suitor who is closer in age to Victoria, so they can marry at around the same time she married Albert. This was the 19th century. Constantine wasn't even 13 years old when Victoria married. GB wouldn't want her to wait YEARS for her to marry and secure the succession.

The Romanov don't even exist in that era of history. They won't be an thing till a couple of centuries later.

How about 6+ centuries? :)

Of course, Ivan the Terrible planned to marry a niece (?) of Elizabeth but he was not a Romanov and this was not an issue of him getting the English throne. OTOH it is probably possible to come with a weird combination when the marriage happens and it’s byproduct ends on the throne of England.

How about 6+ centuries? :)

Of course, Ivan the Terrible planned to marry a niece (?) of Elizabeth but he was not a Romanov and this was not an issue of him getting the English throne. OTOH it is probably possible to come with a weird combination when the marriage happens and it’s byproduct ends on the throne of England.

Now the Rurik on the throne of England in that era could be very interesting. There been plenty of odd and weird royal happenings before and this would be on the list.