Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 100251

Yes, the bombing will ultimately fail.

Now that the WDFCN is finally out, it'll be easier for me to talk about a multitude of things in one post. So look forward toward more excerpts from them!
Aww yea! Can’t wait!

With regards to The Snow Queen (TTL's version of Frozen) you butterflied away one of the better Holy Shit moments in a Disney movie: "Oh, Anna, if there was only someone out there who loved you."

Talk about a realistic portrayal of a sociopath...

OTOH, The Snow Queen sounds like a movie I'd watch ITTL...

With regards to The Snow Queen (TTL's version of Frozen) you butterflied away one of the better Holy Shit moments in a Disney movie: "Oh, Anna, if there was only someone out there who loved you."

Talk about a realistic portrayal of a sociopath...

OTOH, The Snow Queen sounds like a movie I'd watch ITTL...

Don't worry, there will be plenty of "Holy Shit" moments ITTL, either in movie scripts or the real world...

Glad to hear that. A lot of my TL's appeal hinges on people liking The Snow Queen and Mickey Mousecapade, so it's good to see people enjoying it.

It was actually 31 hours, 57 minutes, and 09 seconds, if I read it correctly...

BTW, good idea, @RyuDrago; was that inspired by the Bologna bombing of 1980 (that was horrible, BTW)?

And good update overall, @HeX...

More like by the general background in Italy for the time. The choice for the location was optimal - the construction timing wasn't. Considering the target, is not impossible to realize who was behind it...

Take It From the Top
Site of EuroDisney, Aprilia, Latina, Italy
February 16, 1979

Tony Baxter paced outside the gates of what would be EuroDisney in a little over a year. It had been a long time since he'd found the bomb inside Snow White Castle, and in that time a bomb squad had defused it (the half hour timer was nearing the last few minutes when they finally fixed it) and were now sweeping the area for any others the terrorists might have left. But, as the hours drug on, the threat had considerably lessened.

Baxter slid a lire into the coin slot on a nearby payphone and dialed for the studio. The scene was progressing quickly here, and he didn't want Walt seeing his theme park on international television without hearing from him, first.

"Hey, Walt," greeted Baxter, trying to keep the worry out of his voice.

"Hey, Tony! How's Italy?" asked Walt.

"Oh man..." began Baxter. "Um... well, I don't know how to say this, exactly, but... someone tried to attack the park."

"...Huh?"

"As in, I found a bomb in Snow White Castle, and now the bomb squad is here and turning the construction site upside-down."

"Are you alright?" asked a frantic Walt. "Is everyone else alright?"

"Yeah, we're all good here. I think the authorities are going to be wrapping it up soon. I just wanted to let you know what was going down before you switched on the evening news and found it out through them."

"Okay... alright. You better get out of there now, Tony. Whoever did this... probably doesn't like Americans very much."

"What makes you say that?" questioned Tony Baxter.

"Just a hunch. Try and catch the next flight to Burbank, or London. George and Steven aren't supposed to come back from reshoots at Elstree until the end of the week, so you could camp out with them. Just leave Italy."

"I'll try. Talk to you later."

--------------------------------
"This just in, the Italian left-wing terror organization the Brigate Rosse, most infamous for the kidnapping of former Italian prime minister Aldo Moro, has claimed responsibility for the attempted bombing of EuroDisney in Aprilia, Italy earlier today. Luckily, the bomb was discovered by a Disney employee before it could go off, and bring down the entirety of the unfinished Snow White Castle down with it. The group claiming to be responsible has stated that they 'are vehemently in opposition to the expansion of American imperialism into Italy from the gates of Rome'. President Pertini is yet to respond."
--Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News, February 16, 1979
"On 2 August 1980, at approximately 9:47 AM, Italian police officers discovered a time bomb hidden in the suitcase of far-right terrorist Valerio Fioravanti during a routine baggage check. These searches, put in place in the wake of the attempted bombing of EuroDisney in 1979, the first terror attack on a Disney theme park, finally showed their usefulness. During the scuffle Fioravanti and his accomplice, neo-fascist Francesca Mambro, were shot dead, they themselves wounding two police officers and two civilian bystanders at the station, and killing one officer. Had the hidden bomb gone off as intended, it's estimated as many as one hundred people may have died."
--"1980 Bologna Attempted Bombing", Wikipedia

--------------------------------
Buckingham Palace, London, UK
March 13, 1979

"Cut!" yelled Walt Disney, hopping out of his director's chair.

Hood's filming cycle had gone all kinds of screwey because of the EuroDisney debacle, and the film had been pushed back from spring 1980 to summer 1980. Today, they were filming the epic climax of the movie, the first scene they would be shooting of Hood on location. They'd booked Buckingham Palace (the exteriors, at least) almost a year in advance, and couldn't afford to miss this date lest they wait another year.

"That was fantastic, everyone. Take five. And Mike, can I talk to you for a moment?" asked Walt.

The cast and crew dispersed, turning off the rain machines and big fans, as the star of the movie, Canadian actor Michael J. Fox, jogged over. Fox was still a boy, not even eighteen yet, but the minute Walt saw him at casting a few months ago, he knew he was perfect for the role of Robin Hood, and had even amended the script to incorporate a younger, teenaged protagonist.

"It's my posture again, isn't it?" questioned Fox.

"No, no," reassured Walt. "Your posture was fine this time. But your delivery was a bit off. I can hear too much Canada in your British accent."

"Dammit," muttered the teen.

"Don't worry about it too much, son," said Walt, placing his hand on Fox's shoulder. "You're a hell of a lot better at acting than you were six months ago. Just a few more weeks, and all of Hollywood will want you."

"I know, I know."

"Relax, you'll be great, you've already got that spark inside you," replied the older man. "Okay people, time's up! Let's take it from the top!"

Last edited:
Well, the slowest bomb ever ended in nothing...but we avoided a more lethal terror attack from OTL. So like shakespare say...all the end well.

Well, the slowest bomb ever ended in nothing...but we avoided a more lethal terror attack from OTL. So like shakespare say...all the end well.

Just saying, but when you leave a time bomb, you want ample time to get out of the area. Thirty to forty minutes is about enough time for them to make a run for it. Those thirty-some hours I said before was a typo. But the obvious conclusion after this event is Italy tightening its security to keep more bombings from happening (which happened IOTL after the Bologna bombings), which the policies accomplished.

So yeah, all's well that ends well.

Yeah, and 85 people who died IOTL will never know how close they came to dying ITTL (and that's a good thing), IMO...

Michael J. Fox as Robin Hood; methinks he'll have a different path to stardom ITTL (BTW, I noticed that he born in Edmonton, Canada, which I didn't know (I knew he was Canadian, just not where in Canada (1))...)

(1) Apparently, he's a friend of Wayne Gretzky, the Edmonton Oilers/LA Kings hockey great (which is not surprising, given that (1) Fox was born in Edmonton (but grew up in British Columbia, IIRC) and (2) Gretzky's wife Janet was a Hollywood actress--part of the reason he approved of the trade from Edmonton to Los Angeles)...

Status
Not open for further replies.