Ferdinand I weds Isabella Jagiellon: How does this affect the Kingdom of Hungary/Transylvania

So on the wiki page of Isabella we have the following:
"In December 1541, perhaps exhausted by her circumstances, Isabella signed an agreement with Archduke Ferdinand: she would abandon Transylvania and take up residence in the Szepes County. However, when Ottomans attacked again, Ferdinand did not have enough military power to defend his territories (see Siege of Esztergom (1543)) and the agreement remained forgotten. Poland proposed to solve the issue with another marriage – Isabella would marry widowed Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke Ferdinand, or his eldest son Maximilian. But Ferdinand hoped that he could acquire Transylvania by other means."

Say Ferdinand accepts and is able to manoeuvre this marriage to increase acceptance of his reign in Hungary. John S. Zapolya is compensated and given some properties, raised alongside his cousins/now step siblings in Wien. The Ottomans at the time would soon be distracted by conflict with the Safavids. Do we see political consolidation behind Ferdinand, enough to reclaim parts of Hungary and secure a truce with the Ottomans?

So on the wiki page of Isabella we have the following:
"In December 1541, perhaps exhausted by her circumstances, Isabella signed an agreement with Archduke Ferdinand: she would abandon Transylvania and take up residence in the Szepes County. However, when Ottomans attacked again, Ferdinand did not have enough military power to defend his territories (see Siege of Esztergom (1543)) and the agreement remained forgotten. Poland proposed to solve the issue with another marriage – Isabella would marry widowed Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke Ferdinand, or his eldest son Maximilian. But Ferdinand hoped that he could acquire Transylvania by other means."

Say Ferdinand accepts and is able to manoeuvre this marriage to increase acceptance of his reign in Hungary. John S. Zapolya is compensated and given some properties, raised alongside his cousins/now step siblings in Wien. The Ottomans at the time would soon be distracted by conflict with the Safavids. Do we see political consolidation behind Ferdinand, enough to reclaim parts of Hungary and secure a truce with the Ottomans?
I think i would require earlier death of Ferdinand's first wife (Anna dies giving birth to Charles of Styria?)

I think i would require earlier death of Ferdinand's first wife (Anna dies giving birth to Charles of Styria?)

I think the way I read it Anna had already passed. Here is the follow up paragraph

"In 1548, when the Ottomans gathered all their forces for an assault against Persia in the ongoing Ottoman–Safavid War (1532–55), Ferdinand and Martinuzzi began negotiations to unite Hungary and defend it against the Ottomans. The agreement was reached on 1 August 1549 in Nyírbátor. Isabella would give up Transylvania in exchange for Opole and Racibórz in Silesia. Ferdinand was also to provide for John Sigismund, who would later marry one of his daughters. Martinuzzi was to be made Archbishop of Gran, and to receive the cardinal's hat. Isabella defended her rights and took up arms. She did not receive help from her brother Sigismund II Augustusas he concluded an alliance with Ferdinand so that he could quell opposition of Polish nobility to his marriage to Barbara Radziwiłł."

It sounds like these negotiations occurred possibly soon after Anna had passed. Granted the idea might've been more palatable if there was some time since the passing of Ferdinand's beloved Anna.

I assumed that the initial part of the plan was to have Ferdinand wed Isabella, but he refused which then led to the swap for opole instead.

I think the way I read it Anna had already passed. Here is the follow up paragraph

"In 1548, when the Ottomans gathered all their forces for an assault against Persia in the ongoing Ottoman–Safavid War (1532–55), Ferdinand and Martinuzzi began negotiations to unite Hungary and defend it against the Ottomans. The agreement was reached on 1 August 1549 in Nyírbátor. Isabella would give up Transylvania in exchange for Opole and Racibórz in Silesia. Ferdinand was also to provide for John Sigismund, who would later marry one of his daughters. Martinuzzi was to be made Archbishop of Gran, and to receive the cardinal's hat. Isabella defended her rights and took up arms. She did not receive help from her brother Sigismund II Augustusas he concluded an alliance with Ferdinand so that he could quell opposition of Polish nobility to his marriage to Barbara Radziwiłł."

It sounds like these negotiations occurred possibly soon after Anna had passed. Granted the idea might've been more palatable if there was some time since the passing of Ferdinand's beloved Anna.

I assumed that the initial part of the plan was to have Ferdinand wed Isabella, but he refused which then led to the swap for opole instead.

I could be wrong, but if Ferdinand weds Isabella, no pope (no matter how Habsburg friendly) is going to sign off on Janos Zsigmond marrying his (step-)sister. Still less with the Protestant eyes turned on Rome. So, perhaps either Janos Zsigmond is to originally wed one of Ferdinand's daughters or Isabella to wed a listless Karl V (the December 1541 arrangement). But then Anna of Hungary dies in childbed with her daughter Helene in March 1543 and whoever recommends that Ferdinand remarry to Isabella instead (OTL, Elizabeth Tudor was being proposed for him in 1548 already, so a prompt remarriage might be seen as a good idea). Maybe Elisabeth of Austria's death fracturing the Habsburg-Poland alliance (and the resulting scandal when Sigismund II marries Barbie), causes Sigismund (I or II) to offer one of his daughters/sisters for Ferdinand/his son. With an eye to the main chance, Ferdinand demands Isabella's hand (and makes some promises about defending his stepson's inheritance) so as to secure his Hungarian border. She's still in her mid-twenties (Elisabeth of Austria dies in 1545, Siggie weds Barbie in 1547), so it's not impossible she would be able to give him one or two more kids.

I could be wrong, but if Ferdinand weds Isabella, no pope (no matter how Habsburg friendly) is going to sign off on Janos Zsigmond marrying his (step-)sister. Still less with the Protestant eyes turned on Rome. So, perhaps either Janos Zsigmond is to originally wed one of Ferdinand's daughters or Isabella to wed a listless Karl V (the December 1541 arrangement). But then Anna of Hungary dies in childbed with her daughter Helene in March 1543 and whoever recommends that Ferdinand remarry to Isabella instead (OTL, Elizabeth Tudor was being proposed for him in 1548 already, so a prompt remarriage might be seen as a good idea). Maybe Elisabeth of Austria's death fracturing the Habsburg-Poland alliance (and the resulting scandal when Sigismund II marries Barbie), causes Sigismund (I or II) to offer one of his daughters/sisters for Ferdinand/his son. With an eye to the main chance, Ferdinand demands Isabella's hand (and makes some promises about defending his stepson's inheritance) so as to secure his Hungarian border. She's still in her mid-twenties (Elisabeth of Austria dies in 1545, Siggie weds Barbie in 1547), so it's not impossible she would be able to give him one or two more kids.

Was thinking in Ferdinand - Isabella marriage scenario, John S Zapolya is arranged to marry someone else instead. Preferably someone of importance but not too much to cause issues if he decides to rebel. He wouldn't be marrying into the Habsburgs anymore in this case. I've been trying to do this thing with timelines that people don't pass before the time they did OTL (they can live longer though)

Was thinking in Ferdinand - Isabella marriage scenario, John S Zapolya is arranged to marry someone else instead. Preferably someone of importance but not too much to cause issues if he decides to rebel. He wouldn't be marrying into the Habsburgs anymore in this case. I've been trying to do this thing with timelines that people don't pass before the time they did OTL (they can live longer though)

The Habsburgs proposed a match with Maximiliana Maria of Bavaria OTL, but I'm not sure. What about one of Gustaf Vasa's daughters? Sweden's far enough from Hungary that the Habsburgs aren't likely to worry too much about a Vasa-Zapolya alliance, and that she's a Protestant might not necessarily be a game changer. It's just a crazy idea.

The Habsburgs proposed a match with Maximiliana Maria of Bavaria OTL, but I'm not sure. What about one of Gustaf Vasa's daughters? Sweden's far enough from Hungary that the Habsburgs aren't likely to worry too much about a Vasa-Zapolya alliance, and that she's a Protestant might not necessarily be a game changer. It's just a crazy idea.
Maybe one of Jülich-Cleves girls? They'll also be Ferdinand's nieces.

Maybe one of Jülich-Cleves girls? They'll also be Ferdinand's nieces.
Nieces? Maybe grandaughters as they would be the daughters of Archduchess Maria of Austria (who is Ferdinand’s third daughter).
The only Habsburg girls available who are not daughters of Ferdinand are his grandaughters (the Bavarian girls from his second daughter, the Jülich-Cleves girls from the third)...

But maybe Isabella can marry also the younger Ferdinand? Sure she is ten years older than him but still the match has its value, is not impossible seeing some kids, can be celebrated before the death of Elisabeth of Austria and will not prevent a match between John Sigismund and one of the younger daughters of Ferdinand...
a surviving John Sigismund who is stepson of Ferdinand I or his namesake son (or still better a son of Isabella by either Ferdinand if John die early) would be the most logical candidate as successor to his uncle in Poland...

Nieces? Maybe grandaughters as they would be the daughters of Archduchess Maria of Austria (who is Ferdinand’s third daughter).
The only Habsburg girls available who are not daughters of Ferdinand are his grandaughters (the Bavarian girls from his second daughter, the Jülich-Cleves girls from the third)...

But maybe Isabella can marry also the younger Ferdinand? Sure she is ten years older than him but still the match has its value, is not impossible seeing some kids, can be celebrated before the death of Elisabeth of Austria and will not prevent a match between John Sigismund and one of the younger daughters of Ferdinand...
a surviving John Sigismund who is stepson of Ferdinand I or his namesake son (or still better a son of Isabella by either Ferdinand if John die early) would be the most logical candidate as successor to his uncle in Poland...
Yes, Jülich granddaughter, my mistake.
John Sigismund Zapolya was of bad health, so he is likely to still predecease uncle. That would create interesting situation (if Isabella has also son(s) by her second husband). Polish nobles disliked Habsburgs (although, just like in Hungary, fraction of magnates supported them) OTOH they wanted king of Jagiellon blood.

Yes, Jülich granddaughter, my mistake.
John Sigismund Zapolya was of bad health, so he is likely to still predecease uncle. That would create interesting situation (if Isabella has also son(s) by her second husband). Polish nobles disliked Habsburgs (although, just like in Hungary, fraction of magnates supported them) OTOH they wanted king of Jagiellon blood.
But if the most legitimate claimant with Jagiellon blood is an Habsburg (aka Isabella and Ferdinand jr son)? And the most realistic alternative to it other Habsburgs (aka Ferdinand I and Anne Jagellon’s descendants)?

But if the most legitimate claimant with Jagiellon blood is an Habsburg (aka Isabella and Ferdinand jr son)? And the most realistic alternative to it other Habsburgs (aka Ferdinand I and Anne Jagellon’s descendants)?
In such situation Isabella's son is going to win. His aunt Anna Jagiellon (Sigismund the Old's daughter) would support him too.

In such situation Isabella's son is going to win. His aunt Anna Jagiellon (Sigismund the Old's daughter) would support him too.
Well Anna would be dead at that time and everyone in Austria would put Isabella's son (most likely Sigismund Ferdinand or Ferdinand Sigismund?) as candidate because he would be quite distant from the Austrian inheritance (and renounce to his father’s Austrian estates) and the only one with Jagellon’s blood from both mother (Isabella) and grandmother (Anna)..

Well Anna would be dead at that time and everyone in Austria would put Isabella's son (most likely Sigismund Ferdinand or Ferdinand Sigismund?) as candidate because he would be quite distant from the Austrian inheritance (and renounce to his father’s Austrian estates) and the only one with Jagellon’s blood from both mother (Isabella) and grandmother (Anna)..
I mean Anna (1523-1596) daughter of Sigismund the Old and Bona, not Anna (1503-1547) daughter of Vladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary. Polish Anna was Kingmaker after death of her brother, her authority as member of Jagiellon dynasty would be enough to make Isabella's son new King of Poland.

I mean Anna (1523-1596) daughter of Sigismund the Old and Bona, not Anna (1503-1547) daughter of Vladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary. Polish Anna was Kingmaker after death of her brother, her authority as member of Jagiellon dynasty would be enough to make Isabella's son new King of Poland.
Oh yes, I forgotten about her (but likely in this ATL she would not have the OTL power as likely Sisigmund August would have named the boy as heir presuntive many years earlier (maybe Barbara survive but they remained childless or Barbara still die but Sigismund swear to not remarry and instead of marrying Catherine name Isabella’s Habsburg son as heir)