Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Been playing a bit more lately as I've been busy with other stuff (and working on my mod :p) and had a run as the Eastern Roman Empire in the Charlemagne start. My first Basileus had a game stabilizing the empire and destroying the Iconoclasts, and died in his forties as the master of a stabilized realm...but his secondborn son was literally a child of destiny within ten years of the game start, and the Roman Imperial Government system allowed me to select him as my heir. Said heir has taken over, and has such ungodly stats that he's bulldozed everyone. Abbasid was blown in half in one war, as the Child of Destiny gets infinite uses of the invasion casus belli, so you can conquer whoever you want whenever you want, and take not just the kingdom it says on the war declaration, but all occupied territory. If you want, you can occupy an entire empire and annex it outright. But along the way after taking back Italy, the man got the immortality event line and succeeded and now I've got an immortal child of destiny rebuilding the Roman Empire, with the organizer trait that lets his armies advance like a goddamn mechanized division from HoI when it gets the multipliers off his insane martial.

This has let me do this...

PHoH2iy.jpg

...by 874. To get around the defensive pact mechanic, I'm going to declare war on Aquitaine and France (got a mod in for cultural names, so its called Frankrich - alas, it didn't do anything to my Rome other than change province names) and take them both on simultaneously, so I can annex the entirety of those realms in one war, and then finally go for Khazaria who has been beneath my notice for a very, very long time, but I want to connect the whole empire by land as well as by water. A small downside, though, is that mending the great schism (actually one of the biggest historical ball drops in CK, as the actual schism didn't happen till 1054) has actually caused a drop in the moral authority of Orthodoxy, as the realms of the north that converted to it by the event keep getting creamed by the Norse. I'm going to go in there and clean the place out soon enough, so that won't be a problem for much longer, but it is making the conversion of that much territory a pain in the ass. On the plus sid,e I was able to do it mega quick to the Middle East proper, but I haven't been able to do North Africa just yet, so converting all that to the faith and to the Roman culture is gonna be a long term focus.

For now, though, I'm content to just build up for five years, then reclaim Gaul and Illyria. After that, Britannia, and then - hang on a moment: immortal, Anatolian, legendary conqueror, has a double headed eagle...oh snap, its the Emperor of Mankind! :p
The Basileus Protects !

According to the latest Dev Diary, the next update and DLC will be called Great Works. It's scheduled to be released on April 2nd.

As has been advertised in previous diaries, it basically will give the player the option to build Wonders: Grand Palaces, Cathedrals, Pyramids, Mausoleums, Statues and Lighthouses have been shown and I imagine there is more. They also come with nice 3D graphics to show you've built something.

The most interesting part though is that it's apparently going to be a free update.

According to the latest Dev Diary, the next update and DLC will be called Great Works. It's scheduled to be released on April 2nd.

As has been advertised in previous diaries, it basically will give the player the option to build Wonders: Grand Palaces, Cathedrals, Pyramids, Mausoleums, Statues and Lighthouses have been shown and I imagine there is more. They also come with nice 3D graphics to show you've built something.

The most interesting part though is that it's apparently going to be a free update.
Oh nice.
How many people do you think will want to get a Lighthouse in Alexandria ?

DLC? They said it would be free.

Oh nice.
I'm not sure if it won't be already built in: the Lighthouse itself was only abandonned after the final earthquake that destroyed it in 1323. And I vaguely remember reading that some wonders would already be existing.

If not... Well, this is CK2, a game where players can reform the Roman Empire and reform the Old Hellenic Religion... Of course players are going to rebuild the Lighthouse in Alexandria.
Hell, I'm not even sure someone won't try to build a Pyramid in Norway...
DLC? They said it would be free.
I did say it was going to be free. Free DLCs can be a thing: Paradox even technically already did one with Songs of Yuletide.

It's possible it's not a DLC and I misunderstood. But they released an artwork ahead of the annoucement and they generally only do that for DLCs, even small ones. Plus, even if it's a small change, it still seems a bit big for just an update.

I'm not sure if it won't be already built in: the Lighthouse itself was only abandonned after the final earthquake that destroyed it in 1323. And I vaguely remember reading that some wonders would already be existing.

If not... Well, this is CK2, a game where players can reform the Roman Empire and reform the Old Hellenic Religion... Of course players are going to rebuild the Lighthouse in Alexandria.
Hell, I'm not even sure someone won't try to build a Pyramid in Norway...
Take a really close look at the on-map-pyramid image in the dev diary. It appears to be in Sussex.

(actually one of the biggest historical ball drops in CK, as the actual schism didn't happen till 1054)
Technically yes, however the Eastern and Western churches had been drifting apart for some time before that, in particular in matters of church governance. For that reason, you can see "mending the schism" as being instead establishing firm Roman control over the Roman patriarchate, which would have been relevant in any start date.

If they give us that for free, man, that'll buy back a LOT of loyalty from those people who've been complaining about the sectioning off of content.
Oh nice.
Literally everybody, myself included lol.

I'm not sure if this is the most sensible place to post this, but one certainly believes it to be the Best - has any Team ever created a Mod of CRUSADER KINGS that allows players to assume the role of Monarchs & Vassals in Calradia, core setting for those MOUNT & BLADE games published by Paradox? (It seems a natural "Crossover" and it recently occurred to me to wonder what character traits from CRUSADER KINGS might suit the various NPCs from MOUNT & BLADE).

I'm not sure if this is the most sensible place to post this, but one certainly believes it to be the Best - has any Team ever created a Mod of CRUSADER KINGS that allows players to assume the role of Monarchs & Vassals in Calradia, core setting for those MOUNT & BLADE games published by Paradox? (It seems a natural "Crossover" and it recently occurred to me to wonder what character traits from CRUSADER KINGS might suit the various NPCs from MOUNT & BLADE).
I think there are Mount and Blade Total Conversion mods, you might have to dig for them, though.