Status
Not open for further replies.
Does John Travolta still follow up Saturday Night Fever (congrats for giving him the Best Actor Oscar for that ITTL; that surprised me and I wonder how that came about?) and Grease with Moment by Moment with Lily Tomlin (as part of a couple--talk about WTF!! (1))? With regards to that, if Travolta and Tomlin had done a comedy movie together, he'd have been better off...

(1) There's a theory that he was gay (rumors of his sexuality have been out there for decades) and that Scientology had him do Moment by Moment (with Tomlin, of all people, whose being gay was at least an open secret in 1978) to stamp out those rumors; yeah, that might not have been the best idea, to put it mildly...

He will indeed go on to do Moment by Moment--we are rapidly approaching Hood and Raiders, which will both affect live-action movies more than what's been done now. So if the movie was made in 1979 or 1980, it's probably the same.

With Richard Dreyfuss tied up in Jaws 2, he never starred in The Goodbye Girl, leaving the spot of Best Actor open for the taking. It was a fierce battle, but he took the award over Woody Allen.

Walt Disney's Animated Classics is going to be a home video re-release of classic animated Disney films and cartoons, beginning in 1980 with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and The Mickey Mouse Collection, a lineup of Mickey's greatest cartoons, before expanding into other Disney movies. Get A Horse! is just what you'd imagine it to be. And you can take your guesses on the final headliner...

1: So, Walt himself is an advocate for an earlier home video lifespan for his two greatest creations. As a fan of the Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection, it would be fun to see where this goes.

2: Funny enough, I was imagining for it to be a short, much like IOTL. Unless the idea is better, that's not much for a headlining in my book.

3: Does this mean that Don Bluth will make his famous solo movies at Disney? If so, I wonder if An American Tail still gets made...

Funny enough, I was imagining for it to be a short, much like IOTL. Unless the idea is better, that's not much for a headlining in my book.

It will be a short, but instead of putting a spin on it like they did IOTL, Bluth calls in Walt to help him fill in the blanks and finally finish the lost Mickey Mouse cartoon the way it was intended. Remember, the Steamboat Willie remake's greatest impact was reviving the pre-movie cartoon, first only with Disney movies but later on animated films by other studios as well.

It gets a headline because Walt was so involved in it and liked Get A Horse! so much, he asked for it to get the headline. Plus, not much else was going on during those months otherwise.

Last edited:
Does this mean the Animaniacs still happen, but this time as theatrical shorts to begin with? Will Mel Blanc come out of retirement to do Yakko Warner and the Brain? Will Moon Unit Zappa do Minerva Mink? Or will they have to wait for the Nineties, again.

So we are getting Space Mountain: From the Earth to the Moon, always great to hear from it in any TL and hopefully avoids the Mission 2 overlay later on. Wonder what differences there might be here with this version e.g Vekoma still manufacture it?

Speaking of which, I always did think the original book itself might've been worth adapting into the Animated Canon if you also combine it's sequel Around The Moon, but I'm sure you have plans where this might go with this TL.

Speaking of which, I always did think the original book itself might've been worth adapting into the Animated Canon if you also combine it's sequel Around The Moon, but I'm sure you have plans where this might go with this TL.

I've always thought of the Jules Verne books as being great for live-action adaptations, but not animated ones. And I think Walt felt the same, given that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was the former and not the latter.

It will be a short, but instead of putting a spin on it like they did IOTL, Bluth calls in Walt to help him fill in the blanks and finally finish the lost Mickey Mouse cartoon the way it was intended. Remember, the Steamboat Willie remake's greatest impact was reviving the pre-movie cartoon, first only with Disney movies but later on animated films by other studios as well.

It gets a headline because Walt was so involved in it and liked Get A Horse! so much, he asked for it to get the headline. Plus, not much else was going on during those months otherwise.

Well, that's very interesting.

In Chaos
Walt Disney's Office, Burbank, CA
February 2, 1979

Walt's desk was in chaos. Disney was doing so much, had so many projects in development, that it seemed impossible to keep up some days. Attractions, movies, cartoons, animation, TV and a whole new theme park overseas left Walt's desk piled high with memos, legal documents, photographs, concept art, number crunching, box office and admissions profits. It was no wonder Walt hadn't left the studio in three days straight, preferring the tiny adjoining bedroom rather than a long drive home and back every night and morning.

While a multitude of things weighed on his mind, first and foremost was getting the Disney Channel up and running. It was set to begin broadcasting in late March, and animation was working around the clock to get done on Star Wars and the rest of the shows that would be coming to the network. Walt had had to pull Walt Disney's Wonderful World from NBC, and he'd recorded the host segments for the new season, including the three-hour special that would air as the first broadcast, in between time spent on the set of Hood and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

"Walt, you wanted to see me?"

The animator looked up. "Oh, yeah. Tony. I totally forgot you were coming up here today."

Tony Baxter shrugged. "No big deal. What's up?"

"Well, I'm supposed to go to Rome in a couple days, but I just don't have the time for it. So someone's gotta go in my spot."

"Who are you sending?" asked Baxter, fiddling with a Mickey doll on one of Walt's filing cabinets.

"You, Tony. EuroDisney's got a lot of your style in it. You could say it's your baby, too."

"Me? Really? What... what do I have to do over there?"

"I've got a checklist for you somewhere, lists a whole bunch of criteria. Just fill it out and bring it back with you, and it'll be good," ordered Walt.

Baxter playfully saluted his boss. "Of course, sir! To Italy we go!"

--------------------------------
"Black Hole will probably be out by June or July, Walt. It's coming along just fine."
--Rolly Crump

"After twenty-five great years, I'm afraid our time here working with our partner, NBC, has ended. If you'd like to see more episodes of Walt Disney's Wonderful World, though, you can tune in to the Disney Channel at 5:00 pm Eastern Time on March 23. Be sure to catch the premier of Star Wars: The Animated Series during the show! You won't want to miss it."
--Walt Disney, from the final episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World to air on NBC, "NBC Salutes the 25th Anniversary of The Wonderful World of Disney" on September 13, 1978

Letters to Walt
(Jan/Feb 1979)
Question: Do you like Star Wars?
--From Billy H., St. Paul, MN

Answer:
Yes I do, Billy! When I first met George Lucas, he showed me the story of what would become Star Wars. It was good then, but it's even better in the movie theater!

Question: Will Mickey get a sequel? I really liked the first one!
--From Kassie L., Kansas City, MO

Answer: Sadly, Mickey Mousecapade will not be getting a sequel. But, our next animated movie will be featuring mice as the main characters! And don't worry, you can always find Mickey in the cartoon before our next feature!

Question: When are you gonna make a video game console? All my friends have Atari but I wanna play something from you guys.
--From Alexa J., Toronto, Canada

Answer: Us here at Disney are hard at work on our next video game for the arcades. But we aren't currently looking to make a console at the moment.

Question: What's your favorite ride at Disney World?
--From William V., Miami, FL

Answer:
Wow, William, that's a difficult choice! I love them all, but if I had to choose, I'd say I like the Western River Expedition best at Disney World. I've always loved cowboys and Indians and the great outdoors, so it's a perfect fit for me.

(The idea for this segment was suggested by reader @RyuDrago!)​

Site of EuroDisney, Aprilia, Latina, Italy
February 16, 1979

Tony Baxter was back in Aprilia. For the first time, Walt was entrusting him with overseeing a major addition to the company's lineup. While he wasn't exactly the leader of the whole initiative, he was in charge of Discoveryland, the Ancient Forum, and Fantasyland, about half of the park in sheer size.

Plans were finalized on how the park's layout would be, and while the Imagineers back home were still toiling away on art and mock-ups for the interiors of attractions, the exteriors were completely finished. So construction was just starting up, to get a jump on things, and Walt had sent Baxter here to check out how things were doing.

Baxter's interpreter, a Rome native, hadn't followed him far into the construction site. Maybe he didn't like hard hats, or maybe he didn't want any spoilers on what the park would look like, but it was a bit annoying, considering Tony Baxter didn't speak a word of Italian and there were a hell of a lot of workers who spoke only just that.

"Work on the park behind schedule... guys here said a big thunderstorm delayed progress," mused Baxter, scribbling down notes on his clipboard.

He stopped in front of Snow White Castle, and glanced up at the massive, half-finished fortress. Unlike the United States and Japan, European audiences were used to seeing medieval castles. They didn't quite have that "wow" factor. So, the Imagineers had taken some liberties with its design and made it more fantastical. Scaffolding climbed the towering spires, metal platforms lined the graceful archways and a shower of welding sparks flew from the ramparts. It was a strange sight to behold, especially the back, which was entirely open and unfinished, a mere skeleton.

Just as Tony turned on his heel to leave, he heard a noise.

beep.

He stopped. It had come from under the archway and portcullis, along the guest walkway. Concerned, he moved in to investigate.

beepbeep.

Tony Baxter bushed past the plastic sheet that separated the path through the castle from the outside elements. The walls were covered with beautiful mosaics, depicting scenes from 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs that put the Magic Kingdom's own Cinderella art to shame. It had been one of the first parts of the park finished, mostly for the morale boosting that building a Disney Park needed.

BEEPBEEP.

The noise was louder, faster. Worrying.

BEEPBEEPBEEP.

Baxter noticed a blinking red light at the foot of a pillar. He knelt down to investigate, and found what looked like a digital clock. On its screen was the time 31:57:09. And it was going down.

"Holy shit!" screamed the Imagineer. "That's a fucking BOMB!"

Tony Baxter turned and ran faster than any other time in his life.

Last edited:
Tony Baxter turned and ran faster than any other time in his life.
Anarchist plating bombs...are we back to Nineteen century? poor guys, they don't deserved that but still feels forced, not even fronto rosso was like that. They've bigger fish to prey

Anarchist plating bombs...are we back to Nineteen century? poor guys, they don't deserved that but still feels forced, not even fronto rosso was like that. They've bigger fish to prey

It's the same Communist/anarchists that were mentioned in the bar a few posts back. (Keep in mind that in 1980 IOTL, neo-fascists bombed a Bologna train station with a time bomb, so there's OTL precedence.)

It's the same Communist/anarchists that were mentioned in the bar a few posts back. (Keep in mind that in 1980 IOTL, neo-fascists bombed a Bologna train station with a time bomb, so there's OTL precedence.)
Yeah but the left mostly would have either do a protest or try a direct assasination, bombs were not their modus operandi, still..woah, what a way to ruin a nice day in italy.

Deleted member 100251

The bombing was foreshadowed a few updates ago but I am glad that it isn’t Walt’s neck on the line. Although losing Mr Baxter would be a big blow on future park development!
Hopefully he’ll be fine... the bomb did have a time of 31 minutes, so I think everyone would get out in time (unless I read it wrong).

Btw, HeX. Great update! I really like the Letters to Walt segment.

Reactions: HeX
Hopefully he’ll be fine... the bomb did have a time of 31 minutes, so I think everyone would get out in time (unless I read it wrong).

Btw, HeX. Great update! I really like the Letters to Walt segment.

Yes, the bombing will ultimately fail.

Now that the WDFCN is finally out, it'll be easier for me to talk about a multitude of things in one post. So look forward toward more excerpts from them!

It was actually 31 hours, 57 minutes, and 09 seconds, if I read it correctly...

BTW, good idea, @RyuDrago; was that inspired by the Bologna bombing of 1980 (that was horrible, BTW)?

And good update overall, @HeX...

It was actually 31 hours, 57 minutes, and 09 seconds, if I read it correctly...

BTW, good idea, @RyuDrago; was that inspired by the Bologna bombing of 1980 (that was horrible, BTW)?

And good update overall, @HeX...

It was actually 31 hours, 57 seconds, and 9 milliseconds. But that doesn't really matter, they're both enough time to contact the authorities.

It was actually 31 hours, 57 seconds, and 9 milliseconds. But that doesn't really matter, they're both enough time to contact the authorities.
That is the slowest bomb ever...did was just the thread care? still that is a sore spot that a tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.