Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't really know what "mid-'80s" is defined as. It's definitely not in 1980, 1981, or 1982, and its certainly before 1988.

I was thinking towards 1983 or 1984 in particular, since a Star Wars cartoon is headed to the Disney Channel roughly when the OTL network launches. Maaaaybe 1985 can count as part of that category, but that's debatable.

(Keep in mind that while I've got Disney's animated movies down, I'm always open for TV shows, live-action movies, and things by other studios.)

Have you ever thought about making sure that Steven Spielberg is more lenient in regards to what Disney does to Roger Rabbit, compared to IOTL? In that timeline, we would have got a sequel and a series. The former was never made, while the latter was turned into a show called Bonkers, made for The Disney Afternoon, with little to no changes in the overall concept of the program.

Have you ever thought about making sure that Steven Spielberg is more lenient in regards to what Disney does to Roger Rabbit, compared to IOTL? In that timeline, we would have got a sequel and a series. The former was never made, while the latter was turned into a show called Bonkers, made for The Disney Afternoon, with little to no changes in the overall concept of the program.

I have. Steven Spielberg was actually going to work with Disney IOTL for a Roger Rabbit spiritual successor/prequel, named Toon Platoon. It would satirize the classic wartime cartoons of the 1940s and feature Roger Rabbit and his friends attempting to invade Nazi Germany and rescue Jessica Rabbit, who was being held captive by basically Hitler and forced to deliver speeches for the Reich. But after Spielberg directed Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, he didn't have the stomach to parody the Nazis after delving into their horrors for the films, and the movie was cancelled.

I have. Steven Spielberg was actually going to work with Disney IOTL for a Roger Rabbit spiritual successor/prequel, named Toon Platoon. It would satirize the classic wartime cartoons of the 1940s and feature Roger Rabbit and his friends attempting to invade Nazi Germany and rescue Jessica Rabbit, who was being held captive by basically Hitler and forced to deliver speeches for the Reich. But after Spielberg directed Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan, he didn't have the stomach to parody the Nazis after delving into their horrors for the films, and the movie was cancelled.
Actually, Toon Platoon wasn't the original concept for a sequel; In fact, it was supposed to be Direct-to-Video. The original idea was Who Discovered Roger Rabbit: still a prequel but it would have featured Roger and his friend, the eponymous Discoverer, trying to find out Roger's heritage. It would be revealed at the end that his father was...
*Drumroll*
Bugs Bunny!

Actually, Toon Platoon wasn't the original concept for a sequel; In fact, it was supposed to be Direct-to-Video. The original idea was Who Discovered Roger Rabbit: still a prequel but it would have featured Roger and his friend, the eponymous Discoverer, trying to find out Roger's heritage. It would be revealed at the end that his father was...
*Drumroll*
Bugs Bunny!

I believe they were going to work that into Toon Platoon also. Or maybe my sources have failed me a second time.

Well there's also this somewhat stirring the pot of Disney racism acquisitions.

That's just the best ad ever. It totally makes sense and definitely isn't yet another terrible decision of Michael Eisner's.

A Voyage Through Liquid Space
"This is the captain speaking. Welcome aboard. We are now underway and proceeding on a course that will take us on a voyage of exploration through liquid space. En route, we will pass through the Bermuda Triangle and probe waters seldom seen by mankind. Our orders are to find the lost city of Atlantis... or die trying. So make yourselves comfortable, please, but remain seated at all times. And no smoking, as it would interfere with our instruments."
--The Captain, the narrator of Seabase Atlantic

"What... what is that? Are those rock formations, or perhaps... perhaps ancient ruins? Could it be the lost city of Atlantis?"
--The Captain, the narrator of Seabase Atlantic

--------------------------------
Seabase Atlantic opened on January 2, 1979 in the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. The park had had a very large, open area for expansion that bordered both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, one begging to be built upon. It had actually been the site of a proposed "Fairyland" miniland, set to open as a part of Fantasyland with the rest of the park. It would have featured smaller rides and walk-through attractions that were based on classic children's stories, like Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood, with the centerpiece a roller coaster revival of the scrapped Disneyland concept of Rock Candy Mountain. But due to time and monetary constraints, it never happened.

Luckily, Disney had a trick up their sleeve to replace it. The Submarine Voyage in Anaheim had been an instant classic since the 1959 Tomorrowland expansion, and Seabase Ryūjin in Tokyo was beloved by many. So, the Imagineers decided to bring a "journey through liquid space" over to Orlando, one that would explore the depths of the mysterious Atlantic Ocean.

There was great debate over that theme, however. Many Imagineers wanted the ride to be based on the Nautilus of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea fame. In the end, it was decided that that would be better received at Discoveryland in the soon-to-open EuroDisney, though it's likely that the ride would have taken its cues from the Verne classic if EuroDisney wasn't in development at the time.

--------------------------------
Seabase Atlantic's queue is just as richly detailed as any other Disney ride's, despite its relatively compact and smaller size. The line is surrounded by whistling pipes, steaming vents, and sacks and crates of provisions. (It's most similar to the scene in OTL's Atlantis: The Lost Empire inside the launch bay before the Ulysses sets off.)

Guests then leave the interior of the building, and step out onto the docks. A yellow oceanographic submarine comes by, and they board it. After listening to the safety spiel, the journey begins.

The sub cruises forwards slowly, and out the windows are nothing but (animatronic) fish and undersea foliage. The captain explains that the guests will be undergoing a "voyage of exploration through liquid space" and explore the mysteries of the Atlantic. The sub then takes a turn, and the water becomes clearer, and lighter, mimicking the Caribbean. The guests have entered the Bermuda Triangle, and can see evidence of it everywhere out their portholes. Sunken ships of all eras and ages lay abandoned on the seafloor, as tropical fish and turtles dart in and out of their crevices and holes. Near the end of the segment, the subs pass by a crashed 1930s airplane, which the captain hints at being none other than Amelia Earhart's. With that revelation dropped, the ride progresses on into the large showbuilding.

Inside are underwater caverns, steadily darkening and growing devoid of fish as the guests move forward. Searchlights from the sub switch on, and direct gazes to numerous sights to behold: underwater volcanoes, bioluminescent sea creatures, and what just might be mermaids.

Finally, the subs find themselves right where they wanted to be, as the searchlights reveal crumbling ancient ruins. They may be covered in algae and have seaweed growing out of every pore, but as the guests cruise past the Tomb of Poseidon, it is confirmed.

The subs stop for a moment, and a diver glides into view. He reaches out for the Trident of Poseidon, and grasps it, which causes reverberations in the water. The expedition has just set off Atlantis' security measures. The diver is quickly pulled out of view by a tentacle, and the sub jets away, fear in the voice of the captain.

For a moment, all is silent except for the instruments onboard. Then, out of nowhere, a loud noise is heard and the terrifying sight of a giant squid or a sea monster (it depends on which side the guests are sitting on) shoots past the portholes. But instead of attacking the sub, they see each other, and begin a dance of death, jetting around the sub and hitting it, denting the roof and making noise. In reality, it's nothing but clever sound design and a crumpling roof, but it seems very convincing to the people onboard. Luckily, the monsters don't substantially hurt the submarine, and the guests make it back to the surface and disembark.

So 20k will be built in TTL's EuroDisney's Discoveryland? Perfect thing to do. Let's hope the Subs don't suffer the bad maintenance as OTL in which throughout it's life, 20k was only given 3 rehabs in all it's life and they made it much more harder than they had to in which had they maintained it more E.G at the end of every year, it would no doubt help them in the long term if they are to last until 2000.

So 20k will be built in TTL's EuroDisney's Discoveryland? Perfect thing to do. Let's hope the Subs don't suffer the bad maintenance as OTL in which throughout it's life, 20k was only given 3 rehabs in all it's life and they made it much more harder than they had to in which had they maintained it more E.G at the end of every year, it would no doubt help them in the long term if they are to last until 2000.

Yep, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea will indeed be going to EuroDisney. And maintenance definitely won't go downhill with Walt in charge. He has the same mantra as John Hammond from Jurassic Park: "spare no expense."

The Walt Disney Fun Club News
The launch of the Walt Disney Fun Club News in January of 1979 was huge for the Walt Disney Company. The first issue was handed out for free to guests who went to any one of the Disney Parks around the world, and inside its slim eight pages (counting the covers) outlined some of the upcoming and recent events and releases dealing with Disney.

The cover of the first issue is iconic, depicting Mickey Mouse dueling Peg-Leg Pete, swordfish to sword, in the city of El Dorado, echoing the same scene from 1978's Mickey Mousecapade. This perfectly encapsulated what the Walt Disney Fun Club News and later its successor, The Mickey Mouse Club Magazine, was striving to achieve: appealing to anyone and everyone who wanted to be a Disney fan. The Fun Club News ran for eleven bi-monthly issues, from 1979 to 1980. The newsletter was printed on cheap newsprint, with no color outside of the cover, and every issue followed the same format.

The first page has the full-color cover on the front, usually depicting a unique image for Disney's latest animated film, cartoon, live-action movie, theme park, or video game. On the reversal is a one-page black-and-white Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck comic. The first page was perforated at the edge, enticing many people who got a newsletter to tear off the front and put it up on a wall. This makes finding an issue of the Walt Disney Fun Club News with the front still attached increasingly rare in the modern day, and making it a very expensive purchase for a collector when they are found.

The next page was titled "Letters to Walt," and it featured none other than Walt Disney himself answering questions asked in letters sent to the studio and the Fun Club. Its back side and the front and back of the next page were dedicated to an overview of an attraction at a Disney Park, giving insight as to how it was thought up and built; among the attractions covered were Pirates of the Caribbean (Disneyland), the Western River Expedition (Magic Kingdom), Seabase Ryūjin (Disneytropolis), and Space Mountain: From the Earth to the Moon (EuroDisney). Usually accompanying the text were a few pictures of the ride in its modern state, concept art for the ride, and a single photo of what was there before it.

The next three pages were titled "What's Going On With _____?", and a name substituted for the blank. In every issue, the first page's was "Animators" and the second page's was "Imagineers", but the third one was subject to change, highlighting what was going on with LucasArts, in-house live-action movies, video games, and more.

The next page was a full-page ad, usually for some product with a Disney logo or Mickey Mouse ears slapped on it. After that was a four page blowout on the cover story. In-depth analysis and rundowns on the tiny details filled the pages, or in the case of a theme park attraction, a walkthrough of the ride and a retelling of its story.

The next-to-last page was titled "Rediscovering A Classic", and it gave readers a look back in time to classic Disney movies like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs or Pinocchio, as well as a place to watch them today in the later issues. However, this segment lasted only three issues of the Fan Club News, and was replaced by "Gaming Watch" for the issue dedicated to the release of Black Hole in the summer of 1979.

The final page, the inside of the blank back cover, was "Letters to Mickey", where letters that didn't make it to Walt's desk were answered by Mickey Mouse. It was put at the last page for a reason, and most readers simply skipped over the section, until the segment was revived with "Letters to Donald Duck", basically the same idea but with an enraged Donald answering the letters with plenty of anger in his words.

The Covers of the Walt Disney Fun Club News
--
January/February: Mickey Mousecapade
March/April: Star Wars: The Animated Series
May/June: Raiders of the Lost Ark
July/August: Black Hole
September/October: Hercules: Hero of Legend
November/December: Cascade Peak

--
January/February: Star Wars: Trench Run
March/April: Walt Disney's Animated Classics
May/June: EuroDisney
July/August: Get A Horse!
September/October: The Secret of NIMH

By 1980, Walt Disney Fun Club News mastermind Howard Phillips and new co-worker Gail Tilden realized they wanted to do more with what he was given. The two got permission from Walt to make a monthly, full-length magazine as a successor to the newsletter, the foundations to what would become the second run of The Mickey Mouse Club Magazine, similar to its predecessor in name only.

Last edited:
What will become of Disney Adventures in this timeline? By the way, I am amazed by the fantastic level of detail in this timeline and truly believe it deserves to win the award for Best Pop Culture Timeline. You've kept me invested from the start.

What will become of Disney Adventures in this timeline? By the way, I am amazed by the fantastic level of detail in this timeline and truly believe it deserves to win the award for Best Pop Culture Timeline. You've kept me invested from the start.

That'll be butterflied, with The Mickey Mouse Club Magazine sticking around for the rest of the 20th century. That being said, it'll face at least one name change during its lifespan, particularly during the "cool" era of the 1990s.

And thanks, by the way. I've been unknowingly researching for this timeline since the third grade, when my Disney addiction started, so I like to think I'm an expert in this stuff.

I've been unknowingly researching for this timeline since the third grade, when my Disney addiction started, so I like to think I'm an expert in this stuff.

Well, it's official. You are the greatest Disney-only timeline writer that I have ever witnessed. Also, were the 1980 issues sneak peeks at what to come later on? Because I would be very glad to know what you exactly meant by the March/April headliner, the July/August headliner, and even the final headliner of the original Fun Club.

Well, it's official. You are the greatest Disney-only timeline writer that I have ever witnessed. Also, were the 1980 issues sneak peeks at what to come later on? Because I would be very glad to know what you exactly meant by the March/April headliner, the July/August headliner, and even the final headliner of the original Fun Club.

Walt Disney's Animated Classics is going to be a home video re-release of classic animated Disney films and cartoons, beginning in 1980 with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and The Mickey Mouse Collection, a lineup of Mickey's greatest cartoons, before expanding into other Disney movies. Get A Horse! is just what you'd imagine it to be. And you can take your guesses on the final headliner...

Does John Travolta still follow up Saturday Night Fever (congrats for giving him the Best Actor Oscar for that ITTL; that surprised me and I wonder how that came about?) and Grease with Moment by Moment with Lily Tomlin (as part of a couple--talk about WTF!! (1))? With regards to that, if Travolta and Tomlin had done a comedy movie together, he'd have been better off...

(1) There's a theory that he was gay (rumors of his sexuality have been out there for decades) and that Scientology had him do Moment by Moment (with Tomlin, of all people, whose being gay was at least an open secret in 1978) to stamp out those rumors; yeah, that might not have been the best idea, to put it mildly...

Status
Not open for further replies.