TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Take two for the XM1. Tried the FN-FAL stock but it didn't look right to me either nor did the FG-42 so I tried the stock from the HK-G-1 and I liked that one the best. I also extended the length of the barrel because the US Army seems to prefer longer barrels on its standard issued rifles, the shortest barrel on a US rifle was 18 inches and that was on the M1 Carbine which wasn't a standard issued rifle, more of a back-up arm for non front-line troops. I know the M4 carbines have short barrels today but I don't think the US Army in the 40's or 50's would have gone that route.

View attachment 445902

The barrel here is about 18 inches and the stock is wood not plastic like today's HK's.
Very nice! Though that one piece on the barrel kind of looks like a radio antenna (no idea what it is).

latest

latest

I could honestly see this being one of the Union first forays into semi automatic rifles during the First Great War. Having scene limited action in the trenches before being brushed off as to expensive and prone to jamming. Until seeing new life amongst the Union paratroopers and Marines during the Second Great War.

no worries. I like the way it look, just thought you might want to tweak the position of the magazine in some way or change its design.
There were several similar comments on the other thread where I originally posted it, I suppose an alternate drum magazine could be designed for the bull-pup design.

_Tommy Drum.jpg

I've moved the feed section of the drum a bit to the left, drum will protrude to the right and away from the shooter's rib cage.

There were several similar comments on the other thread where I originally posted it, I suppose an alternate drum magazine could be designed for the bull-pup design.

View attachment 446174

I've moved the feed section of the drum a bit to the left, drum will protrude to the right and away from the shooter's rib cage.

I guess as long as the end of the drum is a little bit behind the elbow, it wouldn't be something to worry about.

I guess as long as the end of the drum is a little bit behind the elbow, it wouldn't be something to worry about.
I think the shooter's would be just a little behind the drum and the forearm would rest on the drum, I can't say if that would be uncomfortable for the shooter or not.

I wonder if it could work if it on top on the outside right.

View attachment 446182

Looks like it could but it might throw off the balance when in the firing position.

Wait a minute guys... isn't this basically the design of the American-180 .22LR submachine-gun?

am180_ondeck_l.jpg

American-180.jpg

Its almost identical to the Thompson in design really. Just imagine a Tommy Gun with a Lewis Gun-style or DP-style top mounted drum magazine. Its not a bull-pup, but its certainly different. Perhaps a design could be made to fire .45 ACP?

Wait a minute guys... isn't this basically the design of the American-180 .22LR submachine-gun?

View attachment 446200
View attachment 446201

Its almost identical to the Thompson in design really. Just imagine a Tommy Gun with a Lewis Gun-style or DP-style top mounted drum magazine. Its not a bull-pup, but its certainly different. Perhaps a design could be made to fire .45 ACP?

could work though the idea we were discussing was mainly "how do you make a bullpup with a drum magazine that doesn't prevent you from reaching the trigger ?"

could work though the idea we were discussing was mainly "how do you make a bullpup with a drum magazine that doesn't prevent you from reaching the trigger ?"

A fairly interesting alternative Thompson can be pulled from it though I think! That way the top mounted vertical drum magazine won't hold as awkward. And there is also, of course, the opinion of using a standard box magazine for a bull-pup design.

Actually, if you're still interested in a top-mounted style set up for an alternative Thompson, the Owen Gun from Australia might interest you guys.

1287828138.jpg

W-Ordnance-4-4C-Feb16.jpg

^^^ --- it would have a side mounted sight and would be able to accommodate a pistol grip for steady firing, able to be fired from the hip. No I'm not saying the the Americans in TL-191 would copy the Australian who made the gun - just saying a design like this could be made independently.

I could honestly see this being one of the Union first forays into semi automatic rifles during the First Great War. Having scene limited action in the trenches before being brushed off as to expensive and prone to jamming. Until seeing new life amongst the Union paratroopers and Marines during the Second Great War.

This is from Bioshock Infinite, isn't it? A copy of the M1 Carbine?

I think the shooter's would be just a little behind the drum and the forearm would rest on the drum, I can't say if that would be uncomfortable for the shooter or not.
I found this pic of a modern day bullpup rifle with a drum mag, it doesn't look very practical.

3a351c634eb3963098c4523071fb4b1c.jpg

It may not even be real, might be something someone thru together with some airsoft guns. Hell I thought it was a Nerf gun at first.

I found this pic of a modern day bullpup rifle with a drum mag, it doesn't look very practical.
It may not even be real, might be something someone thru together with some airsoft guns. Hell I thought it was a Nerf gun at first.

Hah. Looks like a cross between the receiver of an AK, the grips from a PP-2000, and a rail system of unknown make. Custom made for sure, might just be a gas-operated airsoft gun.

Well, there is always the good old fashion stick magazine. Probably the best bet either way. I still stand by my concept of an alternate Thompson that can possibly utilize a top mounted stick magazine, like the Owen Gun. That is, if you really want to get another alternate design in.

Hah. Looks like a cross between the receiver of an AK, the grips from a PP-2000, and a rail system of unknown make. Custom made for sure, might just be a gas-operated airsoft gun.

Well, there is always the good old fashion stick magazine. Probably the best bet either way. I still stand by my concept of an alternate Thompson that can possibly utilize a top mounted stick magazine, like the Owen Gun. That is, if you really want to get another alternate design in.
compact_m1a1_m1928_thompson.png

Nicely done! It even looks like it could be lighter with this look, but I'm not so sure. How would you even reduce the Thompson's weight? Either way its not bad at all. I'm assume the sights are set just to the left on the receiver there. If some where to put a strap on this thing it could even be fired at the hip perhaps more easily, plus with an added pistol grip you might even have a steady firing gun.

Overall, I quite like this!

Nicely done! It even looks like it could be lighter with this look, but I'm not so sure. How would you even reduce the Thompson's weight? Either way its not bad at all. I'm assume the sights are set just to the left on the receiver there. If some where to put a strap on this thing it could even be fired at the hip perhaps more easily, plus with an added pistol grip you might even have a steady firing gun.

Overall, I quite like this!
The barrel is about three inches shorter so that shaved off maybe an half an ounce but weight would be about the same but it would be shorter and handier in urban and jungle warfare and would be easier to fire from a prone position and yeah the sights are offset to the left.
A pistol grip could be an improvement and maybe a slide-in wire stock would make it lighter.

stay tuned for another variant.