Request Maps/Flags Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to request advice from the talented fellows on this thread relating to a concept that I've been working on - despite having spent a fair bit of my free time fleshing out a Fantasy setting, I've only just started to work out the flags for various local realms and one of my ideas was for the banner of a Most Chivalric Kingdom whose government is feudal at the best of times and straightforwardly feuding at worst.

Since this Kingdom is descended from tribes of horse nomads who moved from the local steppes into more fertile (and enclosed pastures), rather as the Franks and the Magyars did in our timeline, it struck me that a centaur would make an excellent sigil from this particular realm and that it made sense to show that centaur armed as a knight (rather than as a horse archer). However, since a rather famous dragon-slayer also forms a very significant keystone of this people's national identity I have also toyed with the idea of having this armoured Centaur lance a dragon on the National escutcheon (very much in the style of Saint George) but worry this might make the whole thing a little too busy.

May I please ask if you fellows have any advice or other thoughts on the matter? Thank You in advance for your consideration!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pahonia#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Belarus_(1918,_1991-1995).svg - p.s. my original inspiration was the vytis of Lithuania, the knight on their State Flag.

I would like to request advice from the talented fellows on this thread relating to a concept that I've been working on - despite having spent a fair bit of my free time fleshing out a Fantasy setting, I've only just started to work out the flags for various local realms and one of my ideas was for the banner of a Most Chivalric Kingdom whose government is feudal at the best of times and straightforwardly feuding at worst.

Since this Kingdom is descended from tribes of horse nomads who moved from the local steppes into more fertile (and enclosed pastures), rather as the Franks and the Magyars did in our timeline, it struck me that a centaur would make an excellent sigil from this particular realm and that it made sense to show that centaur armed as a knight (rather than as a horse archer). However, since a rather famous dragon-slayer also forms a very significant keystone of this people's national identity I have also toyed with the idea of having this armoured Centaur lance a dragon on the National escutcheon (very much in the style of Saint George) but worry this might make the whole thing a little too busy.

May I please ask if you fellows have any advice or other thoughts on the matter? Thank You in advance for your consideration!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pahonia#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Belarus_(1918,_1991-1995).svg - p.s. my original inspiration was the vytis of Lithuania, the knight on their State Flag.

Since you want to introduce a number of elements, either divide your shield into more than one section (think of the british arms) or better yet, put one emblem on the shield and have the other as an external element. The Shield itself would more than likely be the oldest part and thus represent them as a people or represent the ruling house. In that sense, the armoured centaur would be appropriate for the shield with something recalling the dragon slayer appearing elsewhere. For example, the crest (the bit above the shield) could be a dead dragon's head (in profile, eyes close, tongue drooping). Another possiblity is to have the dragon slayer and a dragon as supporters, the dragon wearing a collar with a chain extending below the shield and up the other side, the end of the chain held by the dragon slayer.

Thank You very kindly for the suggestion; I shall probably avoid quartering* but am very happy to take your other points.:)

*I have ... OPINIONS about quartering, most particularly about shields or flags with more than four quarters, but that's a primal scream for another day!:angry:

So I'm making an animated map series where the premise is that on anniversaries of important dates, such as 6th June 2019, a rift opens up to that moment. It basically follows the first timeline to discover this from 2019. It's purely for my enjoyment but I figure I'd want to watch it, because I find this an interesting concept.

Basically, I'm planning on having (Q-BAM) world maps at the same time (2019, 1944 and another one). Then 3 alliance maps, one for each timeline, 1 map to look closer at a particularly small or important battle, and 1 pair for a homebrew world.

So, my 3 questions are:
1. Does anyone have a Q-BAM or M-BAM map of the beginning of June 1944.
2. I'm thinking of sticking the Somme as the 3rd map, does anyone have a potentially more interesting event for that, or Q-BAM/M-BAM maps of the 1st July 1916
3. Is the alliance map thing a good idea, or would it potentially be better or more interesting to scrap them and do more historic ones, or more for battle close ups?

Thank You very kindly for the suggestion; I shall probably avoid quartering* but am very happy to take your other points.:)

*I have ... OPINIONS about quartering, most particularly about shields or flags with more than four quarters, but that's a primal scream for another day!:angry:

ever seen the arms of the 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos ?

270px-Stowe_Armorial.jpg

(just curious if the primal scream will carry....)

Starforce

Banned
Can someone make the flag below, into a better flag? By that I mean, make the colors like an actual flag and not like that of a paint.net program which I used, and to have an actual earth globe in the center. This flag is supposed to be an alternate sort of U.N. flag, where the U.N. in this alternate world has taken over the world and ushered in a new golden era of Utopia. The gold part, the gold ring should be like that of 2 interconnected wreaths of wheat, I would be very thankful for if anyone does this.

Tit6Yez.png

What I'm looking for is not so much a completed flag, but rather technical help in the continuation and expansion of the concept of an existing flag.

The Brazilian flag currently contains 27 stars, which are supposed to represent the current amount of states in Brazil, with each star on the flag also symbolising an existing real star.

I am trying to create a Brazilian flag in a Brazil that, after an administrative reform, now has 48 states - and thus 48 stars on the flag.

What I need to know is: Which stars and star constellations would most likely be added to the Brazilian flag to bring the total number to 48?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Brazil#Stars

What I'm looking for is not so much a completed flag, but rather technical help in the continuation and expansion of the concept of an existing flag.

The Brazilian flag currently contains 27 stars, which are supposed to represent the current amount of states in Brazil, with each star on the flag also symbolising an existing real star.

I am trying to create a Brazilian flag in a Brazil that, after an administrative reform, now has 48 states - and thus 48 stars on the flag.

What I need to know is: Which stars and star constellations would most likely be added to the Brazilian flag to bring the total number to 48?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Brazil#Stars

A planetarium should help. A flagmaker specifies that the stars must be ones that were seen above Rio de Janeiro in the morning of 15 November 1889, at 8:30 AM -- you can just edit the location and time as needed.

That's real, isn't it. My eyes hurt looking at it.

It's probably the best known example of why marshalling can be a bad idea. To be (somewhat) fair, the Marshalled Monstrosity was intended as an unique decorative piece to display the Duke's family tree rather than something he would normally used to mark his possessions. From what I've found, he normally used a slightly more reasonable 6 arms (or 7 depending how you count) marshalled together (its the one of the viewer's left, the one of the right is his wife.)

buckchandos.jpg

Can someone make the flag below, into a better flag? By that I mean, make the colors like an actual flag and not like that of a paint.net program which I used, and to have an actual earth globe in the center. This flag is supposed to be an alternate sort of U.N. flag, where the U.N. in this alternate world has taken over the world and ushered in a new golden era of Utopia. The gold part, the gold ring should be like that of 2 interconnected wreaths of wheat, I would be very thankful for if anyone does this.

here you go. I used the real life UN world map but made it green instead of black as in your flag to reduce the colour count.

alt-uno.png

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
This is as much about suggestions as it is about making the actual flag, because if no one wants to I can do it myself. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to a theoretical flag of a United Kingdom of Kenya? To clarify, a British monarchy that through a string of unfortunate events find themselves ruling from Kenya of all places. I know officially they'd use the Union Jack, but over time as they 'go native' there may be a call for differentiation. Only thing is that I know I don't want to use the ol' canton flag, with the Union Jack by the hoist as with traditional British colonies.
So any ideas? As an aside, it's for a map, and the state also includes Uganda and about half of the Congo.

This is as much about suggestions as it is about making the actual flag, because if no one wants to I can do it myself. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to a theoretical flag of a United Kingdom of Kenya? To clarify, a British monarchy that through a string of unfortunate events find themselves ruling from Kenya of all places. I know officially they'd use the Union Jack, but over time as they 'go native' there may be a call for differentiation. Only thing is that I know I don't want to use the ol' canton flag, with the Union Jack by the hoist as with traditional British colonies.
So any ideas? As an aside, it's for a map, and the state also includes Uganda and about half of the Congo.

If they saw themselves as "the UK government in exile", they'd probably keep using british flags for most governmental entities and only organisations that are strictly local (like the constabulary) might have distinctively kenyan flag.

If on the other hand the politie comes to be seen as a kingdom in his own right, they might use either the crowned sun of the East Africa Company (with different field colours like the british ensign) or adopt the flags of the Kenyan Protectorate without the Union Flag in Canton.

*I have ... OPINIONS about quartering, most particularly about shields or flags with more than four quarters, but that's a primal scream for another day!
ever seen the arms of the 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos ?
One of the benefits of Scottish heraldry is that quartering is limited to no more than 16, with the 4-quarters in a quarter known as a 'grand quarter' - it's one of the distinctive characteristics of Scottish heraldry.

Status
Not open for further replies.