Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.

So this thread is for questions that we have but don't think should have an entire thread detected to.
I think so.

To start it off-

If Napoleon hadn’t done his thing, how long could the rule of the Knights of St. John last on Malta? I know they weren’t the most popular by the time he arrived, but he was the one who brought the whole structure down.

I think so.

To start it off-

If Napoleon hadn’t done his thing, how long could the rule of the Knights of St. John last on Malta? I know they weren’t the most popular by the time he arrived, but he was the one who brought the whole structure down.

Probably until the Italian Nationalist Movement starts. The Pope would probably support them as would the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. When the Italian Unification happens though I could see the new Italian Nation grabbing Malta too due to it's proximity to Sicily.

What would a currency named after george washington be called

Probably the Georgia? Honestly both sound horrible.

I think so.

To start it off-

If they don't get caught in Italian nationalism I'd say they last forever, island microstates have a lot of competitive advantages which means they get to exist. Especially when they open their doors as a tax haven

Probably they get occupied during the ww's but I don't know if anyone would keep them.

How long could Italy remain divided (or, to paraphrase a saying, a geographical expression)?

Conversely, when's the earliest post Charlemagne that we could see a united Italy?

How long could Italy remain divided (or, to paraphrase a saying, a geographical expression)?

Conversely, when's the earliest post Charlemagne that we could see a united Italy?

Probably forever. You just have to make sure Sardinia-Piedmont or the Two Sicilies are weakned enough or cancel each other that they can't unify the Peninsula.

For the latter, maybe have one of his sons held the lands that corresponded to the Kingdom of Italy. Maybe he holds onto them and then proceeds overtime to conquer all of the Peninsula.

I was wondering if anyone has proof (or knows where to find some) for Henri of Parma, Count of Bardi's wife's pregnancies. All the sites that are consulted basically quote wikipedia in that his second wife (Adelgunde of Portugal) had nine miscarriages/stillbirths, but there is no dates given to when or where these pregnancies happened. Same for Adelgunde's sister, Maria das Nieves. In several places she is mentioned as having suffered a detrimental stillbirth, but the sources listed usually lead back to her wikipedia article.
Archduchess Sophie is another one. The mother of Franz Josef is listed as having at least three miscarriages/stillbirths before the birth of her son, but never anything precise, always just a vague "several" or "she had been pregnant before (FJ) but it had ended in miscarriage".

Adelgunde and Maria das Nieves I can still sort of understand. Both were married to the brother of the heir. However, Sophie would've been the first lady of the Imperial court (after the empress) until Ferdinand married. Any kids/pregnancies she might've had would SURELY have been comment/documented either by protocol being followed in announcing the birth or a courtier/foreign ambassador commenting in a footnote that "oh, and the Archduchess Franz Karl is said to be with child".

Dolan

Banned
What if Xerxes, King of Kings of Persia is really a bald man who wears a lot of golden bling while being almost naked all the time? Just like what he is depicted in 300?

7e1a52fa9a6f240f7781f21de2fe0119.jpg

No this is not ASB, there is no magic, no significant alternations to Persian cultures and soldiers, and definitely no other 300 elements getting into. It was just Xerxes' personal Fashion Statement, and the Achaemenid Aristocrats and Military under him just basically said a collective "Ehhh?" shook their heads, but let their King of Kings having his own bold Fashion Statement.

And yes, ITTL, we knew this because King Xerxes in all accounts about him (Persian, Greeks, etc) is always being noted as a scantily clad bald man with a lot of things, even and especially in relief and paintings, but he also oversaw the somewhat successful Military Campaigns as well as the Building projects his OTL self has also done.

Bonus points if some future Persian Kings adopt his fashion statement as well, not always being boring long bearded long haired guys.

So there will be two versions of "acceptable" Persian Noble style, one is standard like OTL, and the other wearing speedo and brings.

Add: This is not ASB, Kings and Emperors have gotten away with worse in Antiquity and Medieval Period, lets assume aside of the weird fashion, Xerxes stayed just as competent as his OTL self.

Probably forever. You just have to make sure Sardinia-Piedmont or the Two Sicilies are weakned enough or cancel each other that they can't unify the Peninsula.

For the latter, maybe have one of his sons held the lands that corresponded to the Kingdom of Italy. Maybe he holds onto them and then proceeds overtime to conquer all of the Peninsula.
The Kings of Two Sicilies had zero intention/interest in unifying all Italy so maybe you need to keep them strong enough for preventing any unification...

Last edited:
What is the longest lifespan someone can have if they suffer from Hemophilia, like what Alexis the last heir to the Russian throne has? Realistically if they have no major accidents and if there if medical advances to treat the condition?

What if Kingdom of Leon instead of uniting with Castile remains separate and eventually unites with Portugal around 15-16th Century? What name would such "Portuleon" bear? Lusitania?

What is the longest lifespan someone can have if they suffer from Hemophilia, like what Alexis the last heir to the Russian throne has? Realistically if they have no major accidents and if there if medical advances to treat the condition?
Prince Waldemar of Germany (born 1889) had hemophilia and lived to be 56. He only died cause he had been forced to flee the Soviet invasion, and thus didn’t get the medical attention he needed. He seems to have been the longest lived of the hemophiliac Victorian descendants.

One of the topics that fascinated (or should I say intrigued) me and thought that it could have an AH-worthy potential was the Late Basquisation theory/hypothesis (English Wiki/Spanish Wiki), wherein it was postulated that the Aquitanians/Vascones, who were taking advantage of the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th or 6th century, had invaded the present-day Basque Country (Vizcaya, Gúipuzcoa and Álava) and assimilated the ethnolinguistic groups living in the said region (Caristii, Varduli and Autrigones), speculated to be either Celtic or at least Indo-European in origin.

Given the period as the principal PoD, with the supposed Basquisation of OTL present-day Basque Country halted to the east of the Deba River in present-day Guipúzcoa, what could be the possible destiny of the rest of OTL Basque Country (Vizcaya, Álava and western Guipúzcoa) if it remained Celtic/Indo-European (although it was already understood that the people living there in the 5th and 6th centuries were already Romanized)? Would it affect the development of Spanish/Castillan language in the later centuries?

NOTE:
For a relatively long time, while I really thought that I could create a new thread based on such scenario, it seems to me that the topic itself was quite a bit controversial, if not frivolous, to be discussed here in this site, so I was quite hesitant to share it until today.