2019 Turtledoves - Best Colonialism and Revolutions Timeline Voting Poll

The Best Colonialism and Revolutions Timeline Is?

• "What Madness Is This?" Redux: The Union Forever - Napoleon53

Votes: 135 29.2%
  • "Of course I can, I am the King of Prussia" - historyfool

Votes: 65 14.0%
  • A Destiny Realized: A Timeline of Afsharid Iran and Beyond -Nassirisimo

Votes: 54 11.7%
  • Until every drop of blood is paid - A more radical American Civil War - Red_Galiray

Votes: 88 19.0%
  • Pride Goes Before a Fall: A Revolutionary Greece Timeline - Earl Marshal

Votes: 131 28.3%
  • Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império" v2.0 - Lusitania

Votes: 47 10.2%
  • Miranda's Dream, ¡Por una Latino América fuerte!.- A Gran Colombia TL - Red_Galiray

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Marche Consulaire - TRH

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A Timeline - Al-numbers

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • We Need No Protection - Richthofen

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline) - Schnozberry

Votes: 42 9.1%
  • "Spectre of Europe - An Alternative Paris Commune Timeline" - Reydan

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • "Washington Burns: A Story of Alternate America" - Eckener.

Votes: 42 9.1%
  • From Iron, Blood: A Bismark Assassinated TL - FillyofDelphi

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • Middle Kingdom: Story of the Star Dynasty- EmperorBuaya

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • The Great Turk returns - An earlier reforming Ottoman POD (1747) -Koprulu Mustafa Pasha

Votes: 29 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
"What Madness Is This?" Redux: The Union Forever

Otherwise known as WMIT 2.0 is a timeline that is 5 years in the making, and even longer than that if you trace the first ideas I had that led to it. It originated as a very short story I wrote in junior high about John Adams suspending the Constitution, and my love of Harry Turtledove's Disunited States of America, but has grown into something much, much different. I believe it's potentially the darkest mostly-plausible dystopia you'll read (though liberties are taken with names and characters to enhance entertainment value and their is a definite stylized pulp flavor) and it is a world truly at its worst, yet eerily reminiscent of our own.

The year is 1801, and John Adams and Alexander Hamilton have been executed for treason in a world where the Articles of Confederation are kept rather than a new Constitution being agreed to. The USA, thereafter referred to as the Old Republic, is now a "Republican Union" led by a consulate of weak power while the South elects to go its own way. Aaron Burr, who ITTL lived with his grandfather Jonathan Edwards for his entire childhood, is a PTSD-ravaged lunatic who believes that he was specially chosen by God and the "Angel of Destiny" when Benedict Arnold accidentally takes a bullet for him at Valley Forge. As the Old Republic collapses in America, Napoleon the Great is solidifying his control with a more successful Continental System. Faced with defeat, British Canada torches the Union back to the stone age before finally being crushed. America now has a chip on its shoulder and blames the South for not coming to its aid and France for ignoring their alliance and sending troops far, far too late. In the post-apocalyptic aftermath of the Canadian Invasion of 1812, the Reverend Burr enjoys new and great popularity, leading a booming cult known as American Fundamentalist Christianity and publishing the Four Books of Manifest Destiny. A young and very different Charles Goodyear founds a Rockefeller-style economic empire in the Union and helps restore the economy in the 1820s. "Father Abe" forces the South back into the Union in the middle of the 1800s but his assassination leaves a massive power vacuum and a deep-seated fear of collapse without his steady guiding tyrannical hand. Enter Custer and the Manifest Destiny Party who come to power and establish Custer as President for Life. The current year in the timeline is 1912, and the Great World War is underway, and the Canadian Influenza is just rearing its ugly head.

Please vote WMIT and make my dreams of a Turtledove for this massive project finally come true. :) It's basically a second job to me. It honestly means a lot to me to even see as many people vote for it as they have already. Thanks to all who read and vote! And good luck to all the terrific competition!

The backstory for this TL is a different route the Ottoman Empire follows in mid 18th century with the death of Nader Shah. In OTL the Ottomans did not take advantage of the chaotic situation in the Caucasus and Azerbaijan while Persia was in anarchy and Russia was not active in the region. The death of Nader Shah triggers a more agressive Ottoman Campaign in the Caucasus to secure the region over time and indirectly help the military staying active rather than staying in Istanbul which was in OTL a crucial factor in the upcoming lossess from 1768 to 1829. The military campaigns not going well enough also results in an earlier reform campaign for the military. The Ottoman State remains stronger, secures the frontiers, neighbouring states and is in a better position to deal with the 19th century nationalism and industrialisation. The existence of the Crimean Khanate prevents a lot of Russian advantages it had in OTL. Another change is that Mahmud I gives more freedom to the princes and they do not suffer from mental problems or are not clueless to what happens around them.

A stronger Ottoman State rather than Russia's punching bag.

Needless to say, Earl Marshal leading did not surprise me. I kinda took him and Nassirisimo as an example for my own TL's. Really detailed and good to read.

May the best TL win.

Oh wow, better late than never!

Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A Timeline details the rise and rise of the Kingdom of Sarawak, a peculiar state that existed for about 100 years on the northwestern parts of Borneo island. Instead of being ruled by a Malay or indigenous Dayak line, Sarawak was most notable for her White Rajah rulers whom were British in lineage and (technically) Indian from birth: The Brooke family. Ruling through a combination of superior firepower and diplomatic skills, the reigns of James Brooke, Charles Brooke, and Charles Vyner Brooke are still remembered to this day for Sarawakians, for good and ill.

Here, instead of the kingdom stagnating and falling behind during the later 19th and 20th centuries as it did IOTL, a subtle Point of Divergence changes the manner in which the state operates and handles itself; from the ruling Brooke family juggling the multiple tasks of monarchy, to the various peoples whom inhabit the land and their response to the state, to the relations Sarawak and its actors forged with the outside world. In the end, the Kingdom of Sarawak emerges as a larger, stronger, and more outward looking state, more capable of utilizing the advantages it has, and more willing to play the game of Southeast Asian geopolitics, changing history along the way.

Lusitania

Donor
We would like to thank all our readers and fans of Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império" v2.0 for supporting the TL and for voting this year. We also like to say hi to some of the new readers and fans who had a chance to discover us and here is to next year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.